Studio and Year: Warner - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 111 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Clint Eastwood, Amy Adams, Justine Timberlake, John Goodman, Matthew Lillard, Robert Patrick, Ed Lauter
Directed by: Robert Lorenz
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: Randy Brown
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 18, 2012

"Whatever life throws at you"

Film Synopsis:

Gus Lobel (Clint Eastwood) has been a top baseball scout for decades, but age has caught up with him. The Atlanta Braves’ front office is questioning his judgment, especially with a hot batting phenom on deck for the draft. Enter Gus’s estranged daughter, Mickey (Amy Adams), an ambitious attorney on the partner track who joins him on a scouting trip, jeopardizing her own career to save his. Justin Timberlake also stars as a rival scout with his sights on an announcing career – and his eyes on Mickey.

My Take:

The description above perfectly synopsizes this small scale character driven drama that deals with familiar themes built around familial estrangement, aging and budding romance. The script is decent with adequately drawn characters, supportive, but not overly used melodrama/romance, and light levity wrapped in a storyline with baseball as a backdrop. If you’re a Clint Eastwood fan then you will probably appreciate Trouble with the curve a little more. The grizzled, cantankerous old man persona that we have seen from him onscreen in recent years is effectively at work here. He shares excellent chemistry with co-star Amy Adams a talented actress that embodies genuineness.

Eastwood isn’t behind the camera and is being guided by first time director Rob Lorenz who crosses his T’s and dots his I’s but little else. Trouble with the curve is clichéd and predictable but utilizes a tried and true formula with a heartwarming theme that is underscored by the performances by Eastwood/Adams. I wouldn’t describe it as a memorable film but I cared about the characters and found myself invested in it. In that regard I found it to be time well spent.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language, sexual references, some thematic material and smoking.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Trouble with the curve comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 mbps.

The high definition video presentation delivers very good overall quality. Images exhibit clean lines, crisp detail and warm flesh tones. Sharpness isn’t as acute as the best new releases I have seen on Blu-ray but it never looks soft or dull. Colors appear natural with ample saturation and vivid textures. Black levels are above average and shadow delineation reveals visible detail in backgrounds during low light sequences and within dark areas of the picture. I would describe the video as being in the middle of the pack and perfectly acceptable for the format.

The lossless audio presentation is essentially the same in that it isn’t exemplary but sounds quite good. This is a dialogue driven film that doesn’t require extensive use of the surround platform. Dialogue is well articulated with clear tonal distinction and presence within the soundstage. Dynamic range is never really tested by the film’s elements however the variety of sounds within the mix has ample depth. Surround activity is limited to light spatial dimension that effectively broadens the soundfield and seamlessly bridges the space between the front and rear soundstages. The end result is a gratifying audio presentation that seems to accurately present the soundtrack’s elements.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Behind the scenes – Trouble with the curve: Rising through the ranks – 4 minute featurette

• (HD) Behind the scenes – Trouble with the curve: For love of the game – 6 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Trouble with the curve is a clichéd and predictable drama that succeeds nonetheless via its tried and true formula that blends a heartwarming theme with solid performances by co-stars Clint Eastwood and Amy Adams. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video sporting gratifying high definition audio/video quality and a minimal supplement package that only includes two short featurettes. If Clint Eastwood’s gravelly voiced, grouchy (but loveable) elder statesmen character is to your liking and you can tolerate a little formulaic corn Trouble with curve isn’t a bad rental on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection