Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 69 Old 01-27-2013, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I'm really surprised by the PQ and AQ of this. I just watched it and the video was really grainy and bland looking to me. Actually 1 of the worst looking blu ray movies I can remember seeing in awhile. It was just kind of cheap looking. More like watching a DVD.

And the lens flare affect that I actually liked in Total Recall, I didn't like in this. Alot of times it was just a jumble of blue line in the middle of a screen? With no brightness to it. Just kind of a dark blue jumble of lines in the middle of the screen that did more to block what was going on then to add to the picture.

The audio I thought was pretty bad too. When people were just talking, say for example the diner scene where Bruce meets up with Joseph, it was somewhat hard to discern exactly what they were saying. And when the music came on during certain scenes it just overpowered everything else in the audio track.

I'm almost kind of wondering if maybe something's wrong with the disc I got from NF. I'm thinking maybe I should check out a different copy of this.

And to top if off I didn't like the direction the movie wound up going. I was ok with it but I just expected it to go a certain way but the story kind of threw me for a "loop" wink.gif when it went the way it did.

I was really looking forward to this movie to.

This was my experience exactly. Grainy, washed out video and really bad audio. My wife had me stop the movie, increase center channel trim so we could understand dialog, and then restart it. It didn't help much. I rented the movie from Red Box and it had a Blu-ray symbol on it. I rechecked all my BDP settings and even tried a different blu-ray disc and a DVD -- both had excellent video and audio. But not the Looper disc, not even close.

It appears there may be some problem disks out there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 69 Old 01-27-2013, 06:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Ah HAH!!!!!!!

I knew I wasn't crazy when that happened to me. I knew something had to be up with that disc I got!

Thanks for confirming with me that I'm not going nuts.

What you're saying sounds exactly like what happened with me.

Hopefully if you try a different disc like I did, you'll get a much better copy.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #63 of 69 Old 01-29-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I have to say on second viewing I liked the movie even more. The story was a little easier to follow the second time and I was able to pick up on things I didn't the first time. My blu ray disc by the way had no issues at all so sorry to hear some folks are having issues.
post #64 of 69 Old 01-29-2013, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frohlich View Post

I have to say on second viewing I liked the movie even more. The story was a little easier to follow the second time and I was able to pick up on things I didn't the first time. My blu ray disc by the way had no issues at all so sorry to hear some folks are having issues.

Greetings,

I also found a second viewing more gratifying. Thanks for sharing your impressions...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #65 of 69 Old 02-04-2013, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Finally watched this over the weekend. Visuals were excellent except, as noted earlier, that lens flare was used with a bit more abandon than I like to see. Audio was excellent, full stop, with wonderful LFE that had me removing lamp shades and tying down small children to keep them from blowing away.

The story was OK, not the best I've seen but certainly not the worst. When it comes to films like this I try rather hard to ignore the plot holes that are screaming for my attention. Sometimes it takes effort to suspend disbelief.

post #66 of 69 Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Rented last night; excellent review btw! I should probably be mindful of *spoilers* in my comments. Have to check out how to do the trick to hide them.

Anyway, yes, excellent sound effects on this one. I’m not sure if it stood out for me personally as one of the best, but it was certainly very good. I might be a bit jaded; I’ve rented about 2 dozen Blu-ray’s in the last month.

I took note that it was shot on film before renting and indeed the picture quality reflected the nuance that I’ve been seeing with movies shot on film, but I actually thought some of those countryside/farm scenes might have been even more visually pleasing. They got the ‘golden hour’ sun in a few, but idk – I had the impression that maybe more could have been done with that setting.

I noticed that lens flair too LOL. I commented elsewhere on my Super 8 Blu-ray after first buying a new Samsung LED (that I returned for a plasma) that REALLY made me wonder if the television was defective. So, it’s reassuring a bit to see others comment with similar sentiments on the lens flair thing.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I would have to be honest that I might not have followed the storyline down to the finest detail to pick it apart. It worked for me, but I wasn’t looking to be critical of it. In terms of violence for the sake of violence – I think the ending offsets that sentiment? In consideration of the ending; maybe the violence is intended to build the sentiment expressed here in that regard and if you don’t appreciate the ending you missed the point? If there were flaws in the plot otherwise I didn’t take notice – not to say there might not have been.

That kid was super trippy too btw. I might have missed it, but I am guessing ‘TK’ = telekinesis? This movie sets the stage for me to be pumped for the remake of Carrie with Chloe Moretz this fall.
post #67 of 69 Old 03-20-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Sounds like a good one... thanks for the review, Ralph!

It's now been ordered, is on the way, and I'm looking forward to seeing it! cool.gif

oz
post #68 of 69 Old 03-20-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Rented last night; excellent review btw! I should probably be mindful of *spoilers* in my comments. Have to check out how to do the trick to hide them.

Anyway, yes, excellent sound effects on this one. I’m not sure if it stood out for me personally as one of the best, but it was certainly very good. I might be a bit jaded; I’ve rented about 2 dozen Blu-ray’s in the last month.

I took note that it was shot on film before renting and indeed the picture quality reflected the nuance that I’ve been seeing with movies shot on film, but I actually thought some of those countryside/farm scenes might have been even more visually pleasing. They got the ‘golden hour’ sun in a few, but idk – I had the impression that maybe more could have been done with that setting.

I noticed that lens flair too LOL. I commented elsewhere on my Super 8 Blu-ray after first buying a new Samsung LED (that I returned for a plasma) that REALLY made me wonder if the television was defective. So, it’s reassuring a bit to see others comment with similar sentiments on the lens flair thing.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I would have to be honest that I might not have followed the storyline down to the finest detail to pick it apart. It worked for me, but I wasn’t looking to be critical of it. In terms of violence for the sake of violence – I think the ending offsets that sentiment? In consideration of the ending; maybe the violence is intended to build the sentiment expressed here in that regard and if you don’t appreciate the ending you missed the point? If there were flaws in the plot otherwise I didn’t take notice – not to say there might not have been.

That kid was super trippy too btw. I might have missed it, but I am guessing ‘TK’ = telekinesis? This movie sets the stage for me to be pumped for the remake of Carrie with Chloe Moretz this fall.

Greetings,

Glad you enjoyed this one. Adding spoiler tags is easy there is actually a short cut in the bar above when replying. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #69 of 69 Old 03-20-2013, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Sounds like a good one... thanks for the review, Ralph!

It's now been ordered, is on the way, and I'm looking forward to seeing it! cool.gif

Greetings,

Great! Enjoy oz! cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread - Looper by PriceGrabber.com