Feature running time: 119 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Jeff Daniels, Paul Dano, Noah Segan, Piper Perabo, Garrett Dillahunt
Written &Directed by: Rian Johnson
Music by: Nathan Johnson
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 31, 2012

"Hunted by your future. Haunted by your past"

Film Synopsis:

In the year 2044, a mob hitman assassinates targets that arrive from the future of 2074. For him it's just a job... till he receives a new target: himself from the future.

My Take:

In this futuristic action thriller, time travel will be invented – but it will be illegal and only available on the black market. When the mob wants to get rid of someone, they will send their target 30 years into the past where a “looper” – a hired gun, like Joe (Joseph Gordon-Levitt) – is waiting to mop up. With each hit paid in silver bars, Joe is getting rich and life is good…until the day the mob decides to “close a loop”. This means capturing a looper’s older (by 30 years) self and sending them back for extermination BY their respective younger counterparts. This is an accepted practice that sends loopers into retirement with a large payout that enables them to live the high life for the next 30 years. In Joe’s case his older counterpart (Bruce Willis) isn’t willing to go so easily and both men find themselves in the same time locked in a battle with two very different objectives. The outcome will decide not only Joe’s fate but perhaps alter the future for a generation.

I saw Looper in the theater and going in was intrigued by what looked like a solid concept and excellent casting. I enjoyed it overall but felt that the development of older Joe’s character (Bruce Willis) specifically more on what occurred in his life during the 30 year period after he closes his loop (I am not giving anything away there) was lacking. Based upon his reasons for what he does when sent back 30 years (for termination) I felt that a deeper connection to that past (or future) would have provided more conflict for the audience when trying to decide who to root for. I say this because the way it plays out you definitely find yourself pulling for one of them but wanting to pull for the other. On top of that there is an unseen foe from the future that is essentially the impetus for much of what occurs but we see nothing of that other than mere mentions. A little more on that along with older Joe’s story would have given more gravity to the twin narratives.

Having said that there was still much to like about Looper and that didn’t change with this second viewing, in fact I would say that I enjoyed it a little bit more. Obviously with a time traveling plot that revolves around the same character in a rotational context there is a mind bending element that requires strict attention but here I wouldn’t describe it as confusing. Once you figure out where things are headed then understanding what the only outcome can be is simple. Luckily this doesn’t dampen the thrills or lessen the outcome’s impact. There is ample action and the film is edgy with a slickly executed screenplay that is made even better by top notch production elements. The make-up that is used to transform Joseph Gordon-Levitt into a “young” Bruce Willis is impressive to say the least. He leads the way in a strong cast ensemble that includes Bruce Willis who still has the chops to be a credible tough guy, Emily Blunt (need I say more?), Jeff Daniels and the scene stealing Pierce Gagnon (you’ll just have to see for yourself).

Looper is stylish, thought provoking and imaginative. When you combine that with above average action, engaging production elements and solid casting you have an entertaining and memorable multi-genre film that can’t miss with discerning fans.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, language, some sexuality/nudity and drug content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Looper comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 29 Mbps lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate 4.1 Mbps.

This is an excellent high definition video presentation from Sony. Image depth during the brighter sequences is appreciable from nearly every camera perspective. Objects within backgrounds have definable structure/texture which makes them appear very lifelike and three dimensional. The video is crisp with natural looking, well balanced colors that give it a transparent and lustrous quality. Shadow detail is strong which enhances depth during dark segments that contain limited light. Blacks are deep, dynamic and stable which adds punch to sequences containing both light and dark elements. Contrast is strong which delivers bright punchy whites and vivid primary colors. Fleshtones are creamy and lifelike. Resolution during a few of the darkened sequences softens a bit but not to a point where I found it to be problematic. I thought that at times this video presentation looked stunning and exhibited quality that is as good as I have seen on Blu-ray.

The 5.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is outstanding and truly enhances the film’s overall presentation. This is a dynamically charged surround mix that features high level detail, superlative clarity, and rich, room filling surround sound that doesn’t disappoint. This is sophisticated sound design that incorporates a vast number of sound effects that are intricately mixed to engage the listening position. Superb imaging and channel separation draw out both large and small sounds and allow their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable within the room’s acoustic boundaries. This is not an ostentatious audio presentation per se but it definitively produces powerful dynamics and deep bass extension that produces smooth, palpably rich low frequencies that can be felt more than heard as it pressurizes the room. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or tonal inflection of voices. End to end this is an attention grabbing home theater presentation that is tailor made for enthusiasts that demand the best from their surround sound systems.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with Rian Johnson, Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Emily Blunt

• (HD) 22 deleted scenes with optional commentary by Rian Johnson & Noah Segan

• (HD) The future from the beginning – 8 minute featurette

• (HD) The science of time travel – 8 minute featurette

• (HD) Scoring Looper (3 segments):
    1. Field recording – 5 minutes
    2. Percussion – 4 minutes
    3. Melodic instruments – 6 minutes
  • (HD) Looper animated trailer – 1 minute

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Looper is a stylish, thought provoking and imaginative sci-fi action thriller that can’t miss with fans that revel in multi-genre films of its type. It isn’t perfect but writer/director Rian Johnson utilizes an excellent cast and top notch production value to successfully draw you into his world. Looper comes to Blu-ray Disc from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring reference quality high definition video, a superb DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix and above average supplements that provide a glimpse behind the curtain. This one is easy to recommend so feel free to pick it up on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 69 Old 12-22-2012, 03:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks Ralph! One of the most intriguing movies of the year IMO. Looking forward to owning this great presentation.

Knowing is not enough you must apply. Willing is not enough you must do. -Bruce Lee

post #3 of 69 Old 12-22-2012, 05:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Totally fell under my radar, but after this review it's a must buy. Thanks, Ralph!

post #4 of 69 Old 12-22-2012, 05:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Thanks Ralph will definitely get this, missed in the cinemas.

Frank

post #5 of 69 Old 12-22-2012, 08:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
in my rental list.! smile.gif
post #6 of 69 Old 12-23-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Love it. Buying it
post #7 of 69 Old 12-23-2012, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Probably my favorite movie of the year. Its been a long time since I've had my mind blown so many times. Glad to hear its a quality disc... That's just gravy.
post #8 of 69 Old 12-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Adding it to my Netflix queue at #1
post #9 of 69 Old 12-23-2012, 06:17 PM

Liked: 17
Dug the premise, didn't expect the Akira-esque side story. Good flick, recommended for those who don't want the filmmakers to hold their hands for the entire runtime.

biggrin.gif
post #10 of 69 Old 12-24-2012, 02:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Cool looking forward to seeing this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11 of 69 Old 12-24-2012, 06:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 80
I went into this with high expectations, but the one big contradiction that raises its ugly head about half-way through pretty much ruined it for me. I'd give it a 6/10 at best. Why oh why didn't they catch it and just change the storyline a little?
repete66211 likes this.
post #12 of 69 Old 12-25-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Yes Looper does violence to its main premise. If you are sending people back to the past to kill them because you cannot dispose of bodies in the future, then you cannot kill someone up there in the future and just not dispose of the body. The movie becomes stupid, and that leaves nothing else but violence violence violence. Sorry, but I cannot find any reason to recommend this.
repete66211 likes this.
post #13 of 69 Old 12-26-2012, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 283
I've been meaning to check this in theaters and didn't realize it already left theaters. (Shows how time can pass when we're all busy enjoying our systems!). I will be sure to scoop this one up on release date.
post #14 of 69 Old 12-27-2012, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrolicBeast View Post

I've been meaning to check this in theaters and didn't realize it already left theaters. (Shows how time can pass when we're all busy enjoying our systems!). I will be sure to scoop this one up on release date.

Greetings,

Be sure to post back once you have checked it out in Blu..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 69 Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 AM

Liked: 12
Super Looper
Thanks Ralph
post #16 of 69 Old 12-29-2012, 07:14 PM

Just watched this on Bluray and its a stunning flick. The visuals are pure eye candy, flesh tones so accurate its like looking at a person standing in front of you. Sounds track was amazing making great use of the dynamic range, but not in a harsh way - ie really, annoyingly quiet dialog then an explosion that blows you out of your seat. It's more like the levels are "just right".
post #17 of 69 Old 12-30-2012, 08:51 AM

Emily Blunt is in it?? Gotta see it . biggrin.gif
post #18 of 69 Old 12-31-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I went into this with high expectations, but the one big contradiction that raises its ugly head about half-way through pretty much ruined it for me. I'd give it a 6/10 at best. Why oh why didn't they catch it and just change the storyline a little?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickMcKaha View Post

Yes Looper does violence to its main premise. If you are sending people back to the past to kill them because you cannot dispose of bodies in the future, then you cannot kill someone up there in the future and just not dispose of the body. The movie becomes stupid, and that leaves nothing else but violence violence violence. Sorry, but I cannot find any reason to recommend this.
This about covers it for me. If you check your watch more than once it's not a good movie and I checked mine about 5 times during Looper. Based on the buzz I was expecting something good but all I got was another boring, back to the future semi-thriller with plot holes all over the place. I honestly don't understand why so many people seemed to have liked this movie.

post #19 of 69 Old 12-31-2012, 11:39 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks for the review Ralph! I just went to the local big-box store and bought this Blu Ray and I'll be able to watch it later on today. I wasn't aware of this movie until a few days ago and found myself wondering where I've been to let this thing slip by me like that because I really enjoy these kind of movies. Well, after going to the store to get it I realized that it's probably because I live in this rural and somewhat backward area that I hadn't heard of it because, even though the store had an add for it, it wasn't on the shelf yet. I ask them about it thinking they were probably sold out but they had not yet unpacked it for display. Apparently I was the first person to ask about it. Oh well, I got it anyway and will be watching it shortly.

Thanks again Ralph!
post #20 of 69 Old 12-31-2012, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph! I just went to the local big-box store and bought this Blu Ray and I'll be able to watch it later on today. I wasn't aware of this movie until a few days ago and found myself wondering where I've been to let this thing slip by me like that because I really enjoy these kind of movies. Well, after going to the store to get it I realized that it's probably because I live in this rural and somewhat backward area that I hadn't heard of it because, even though the store had an add for it, it wasn't on the shelf yet. I ask them about it thinking they were probably sold out but they had not yet unpacked it for display. Apparently I was the first person to ask about it. Oh well, I got it anyway and will be watching it shortly.
Thanks again Ralph!

Greetings,

You're very welcome Angler55. Be sure to post back with your thoughts afterward...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #21 of 69 Old 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Just finished watching this. What a great movie. Loved it. It's so refreshing to see something original.

Kaboom.
post #22 of 69 Old 12-31-2012, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Shoulda been called Loopholes...but I loved the audio!! wink.gif
repete66211 likes this.
post #23 of 69 Old 01-01-2013, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

Just finished watching this. What a great movie. Loved it. It's so refreshing to see something original.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it wingnut4772.. smile.gif
Quote:
Shoulda been called Loopholes...but I loved the audio!!

biggrin.gif

Thanks for the chuckle Warren!

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #24 of 69 Old 01-01-2013, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 30
L O L!

"But I didn't do it...!"
"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #25 of 69 Old 01-02-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

A little more on that along with older Joe’s story would have given more gravity to the twin narratives.

There's a third narrative, which is the one I ended up rooting for. It's hinted at through the first half of the movie, then becomes the main story.

Looky here!
post #26 of 69 Old 01-02-2013, 02:43 PM

Liked: 15
I liked it so much I had to watch it twice back to back!
Like wingnut4772 said...."it's so refreshing to see something original". That was my first thought after seeing it the first time so I watched it again right away and I rarely do that with any movie. I was especially pleased because I was so hyped up to see this movie and it didn't let me down like so many others have. I noticed they used the flare effect in this film that I didn't care for in the "Total Recall" 2012 and I thought it fit much better. In "Looper" it just seemed to me to be more a part of the film where in "Total Recall" it was more of a distraction.

Everything was well done in this film!
post #27 of 69 Old 01-02-2013, 09:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I'm really surprised by the PQ and AQ of this. I just watched it and the video was really grainy and bland looking to me. Actually 1 of the worst looking blu ray movies I can remember seeing in awhile. It was just kind of cheap looking. More like watching a DVD.

And the lens flare affect that I actually liked in Total Recall, I didn't like in this. Alot of times it was just a jumble of blue line in the middle of a screen? With no brightness to it. Just kind of a dark blue jumble of lines in the middle of the screen that did more to block what was going on then to add to the picture.

The audio I thought was pretty bad too. When people were just talking, say for example the diner scene where Bruce meets up with Joseph, it was somewhat hard to discern exactly what they were saying. And when the music came on during certain scenes it just overpowered everything else in the audio track.

I'm almost kind of wondering if maybe something's wrong with the disc I got from NF. I'm thinking maybe I should check out a different copy of this.

And to top if off I didn't like the direction the movie wound up going. I was ok with it but I just expected it to go a certain way but the story kind of threw me for a "loop" wink.gif when it went the way it did.

I was really looking forward to this movie to.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #28 of 69 Old 01-03-2013, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

I'm really surprised by the PQ and AQ of this. I just watched it and the video was really grainy and bland looking to me. Actually 1 of the worst looking blu ray movies I can remember seeing in awhile. It was just kind of cheap looking. More like watching a DVD.
And the lens flare affect that I actually liked in Total Recall, I didn't like in this. Alot of times it was just a jumble of blue line in the middle of a screen? With no brightness to it. Just kind of a dark blue jumble of lines in the middle of the screen that did more to block what was going on then to add to the picture.
The audio I thought was pretty bad too. When people were just talking, say for example the diner scene where Bruce meets up with Joseph, it was somewhat hard to discern exactly what they were saying. And when the music came on during certain scenes it just overpowered everything else in the audio track.
I'm almost kind of wondering if maybe something's wrong with the disc I got from NF. I'm thinking maybe I should check out a different copy of this.
And to top if off I didn't like the direction the movie wound up going. I was ok with it but I just expected it to go a certain way but the story kind of threw me for a "loop" wink.gif when it went the way it did.
I was really looking forward to this movie to.

Greetings,

That is strange yadfgp. You're positive that what they sent from NF was Blu-ray and not a DVD? Your description of the audio/video is pretty far off from my experience both in the theater and on Blu-ray. confused.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #29 of 69 Old 01-03-2013, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:

Greetings,
That is strange yadfgp. You're positive that what they sent from NF was Blu-ray and not a DVD? Your description of the audio/video is pretty far off from my experience both in the theater and on Blu-ray. confused.gif
Regards,

Way different for my experience as well.

Kaboom.
post #30 of 69 Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:

Greetings,
Regards,

Totally agree...I thought the A/V quality was quite good (especially the audio). Great review Ralph...I enjoyed this one too!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Looper Ultraviolet Digital Copy Blu Ray , Blu Ray Movies
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page