AVSForum (Blu-ray) Spotlight: The Blue Lagoon (1980), Beloved Infidel (1959) & Lost Horizon (1973) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Twilight Time and Screenarchives.com Present 3 Limited Edition Blu-ray Releases

The Blue Lagoon (1980)

Beloved Infidel (1959)

Lost Horizon (1973)

Greetings,

Twilight Time is a boutique brand that produces high quality, limited edition transfers of mainstream and lost Hollywood Classics.They only produce 3000 copies per title and are available exclusively through Screeenarchives.com. I was interested in the company and their releases when they put out 1985s Fright Night in a limited run of which I didn't get a copy (so if you are interested in a release, act quick!). I am happy to report that their transfers are superb and the utmost care has gone into their releases.

Lee

The Blue Lagoon

21a7fbd7_bl_tt_cover.jpeg

Overview:
The Blue Lagoon (1980)—Starring: Brooke Shields, Christopher Atkins, Leo McKern, and directed by Randal Kleiser (grease) is the story of a boy and girl who are shipwrecked on an uninhabited tropical island. With no adults to guide them the two make a simple life together unaware that sexual maturity will eventually intervene. The film is based on the novel The Blue Lagoon by Henry De Vere Stacpoole with original music score was composed by Basil Poledouris and the cinematography by Néstor Almendros.

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 105 mins, Rated R, Audio Format: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 11th, 2012. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units.

Quick Thoughts:
The Blue Lagoon is a film I never got into as a kid, even with the controversy surrounding a then 15 year old Brook Shields about her "nudity". She even had to testify before a U.S. Congressional inquiry that body doubles were in fact used. It is said that in the shots that did have her body, her hair was glued to her breasts to not have any exposure. In some respects, and especially back in 1980, the film can be unsettling considering it is dealing with teenagers coming into sexual maturity. By todays standards it is nothing, and unfortunately, too many kids their age have had these sexual maturity experience too young, helping date this film, making it feel a bit silly and overly dramatic. Though its themes were played well, and the child acting was well beyond believable, it was just too hard for me to take the film seriously!

Wow, this release sure looks pristine, especially considering its age. Color fidelity is engaging, and coupled with some beautiful cinematography, The Blue Lagoon is a pleasure to look at. Finer definition is apparent on most shots, with contrast and black levels that are stable. The audio track was a surprise as well, with a big open sound-stage, more dynamic than anticipated and always audible dialogue. Fans will surely be pleased.

Special Features:
· Isolated Score Track
· Audio Commentary with Filmmakers Randal Kleiser, Douglas Day Stewart, and Brooke Shields
· Audio Commentary with Filmmakers Randal Kleiser and Christopher Atkins
· An Adventure in Filmmaking: The Making of The Blue Lagoon
· Trailer and Teasers
· Julie Kirgo liner notes

Beloved Infidel

25ad3d01_bi_tt_cover.jpeg

Overview:
In 1936, the witty columnist Sheilah Graham meets the decadent writer F. Scott Fitzgerald, and they immediately fall in love, but their relationship is affected by his drinking problem. All the while he is writing a novel he never finished, and at the same time his wife is in the mental institution. It stars Gregory Peck as F. Scott Fitzgerald and Deborah Kerr as Sheilah Graham, and was directed by Henry King and has music from Franz Waxman

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 123 mins, Rated G, Audio Format: English 4.0 DTS-HD MA, Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 11th, 2012. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units.

Quick Thoughts:
During my research on this film, what I read to be awkward casting was indeed a bit off, however, I enjoyed this film none the less. Gregory Peck as Fitzgerald was far from an inspired choice, and for me, not knowing what was fact from fiction made things a bit off as it felt more like a work of fiction than a film based on true events (based on Sheilah Graham's memoirs). With that said, the acting was great, looking at Kerr is always a pleasure and the plots crazy situation made for interesting viewing.

Beloved Infidel had one thing going for it, the colors looked great, however the film was overrun with grain that seemed to just be a bit too cumbersome to have the acceptable celluloid look. The films finer details were not fully resolved and it looks to me that this film needs a bit more work than was put in, and I doubt it will ever happen as this is a film that seems universally panned. The DTS-HD 4.0 audio track is passable with crisp and clean dialogue and a decent dynamic range, but far from a reason to grab this release.

Special Features:
· Isolated Score Track
· Original Trailer
· Extensive Julie Kirgo liner notes

Lost Horizon

f9444d01_lost_horizon_bd.jpeg

Overview:
Lost Horizon (1973) is a is a remake of Frank Capra's 1938 film. Music composed by Burt Bacharach and directed by Charles Jarrott, the film stars Peter Finch, John Gielgud, Liv Ullmann, Michael York, Sally Kellerman, Bobby Van, George Kennedy, Olivia Hussey, James Shigeta and Charles Boyer.

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 149 mins, Rated G, Audio Format: English 5.1 DTS-HD MA, Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: December 11th, 2012. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units.

Quick Thoughts:
Never hearing of this film, it was the one of Twilight Times December release that I was most interested in watching. Why? I am not sure, but it looked like a whacked out 70s musical and I was game for a "trip". I am sad to report that the trip wasn't trippy enough, the movie was a bit long winded and the songs didn't stick in my head. Bummer. The cast was great and the plot was interesting, but it just didn't sit right with me. I would be interested in seeing Capra's version from 1938, however.

Fans will be happy with both the Video and Audio quality of this release. It is as good as it gets, considering its 40 year age. Sharp with high quality HD details, colors that look like it was filmed much more recently and the scenery/cinematography just tie it all together. The songs sound great, with a more modern sound in terms of depth and fidelity. If you were a fan, this is an absolute must have.

Special Features:
· Isolated Score Track
· Ross Hunter: On the Way to Shangri-La
· Alternate Scene: "I Come to You"
· Burt Bacharach Song Demos
· Trailers and TV Spot
· Extensive Julie Kirgo liner notes

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 04:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I think lost horizons is one of my favorite musicals, as a Burt Bacharach's dissonant harmonics admirer I find the soundtrack highly rewarding and engaging, a bit kitsch yes but this man is one of the greatest composers of the last century. Obviously highly misunderstood.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-26-2012, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

I think lost horizons is one of my favorite musicals, as a Burt Bacharach's dissonant harmonics admirer I find the soundtrack highly rewarding and engaging, a bit kitsch yes but this man is one of the greatest composers of the last century. Obviously highly misunderstood.

Then if you don't have this release its a must for you as the sound and video are quite stellar.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , The Blue Lagoon , Beloved Infidel , The Lost Horizon 1973

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page