Studio and Year: Disney - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 87 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French DTS-HD 7.1 High Resolution, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Martin short, Catherine O’Hara, Martin Landau, Winona Ryder, Atticus Shaffer, Charlie Tahan
Directed by: Tim Burton
Music by: Danny Elfman
Written by: John August
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 8, 2012

"A new leash on life"

Film Synopsis:

From Disney and creative genius Tim Burton (“Alice in Wonderland,” “The Nightmare Before Christmas”) comes the hilarious and offbeat “Frankenweenie,” a heartwarming tale about a boy and his dog. After unexpectedly losing his beloved dog Sparky, young Victor harnesses the power of science to bring his best friend back to life—with just a few minor adjustments. He tries to hide his home-sewn creation, but when Sparky gets out, Victor’s fellow students, teachers and the entire town learn that getting a new ‘leash on life’ can be monstrous.

My Take:

Tim Burton is a visionary type director that holds true to the types of films that predominantly adhere to themes associated with the macabre, gothic tales and quirky/dark characters. His latest creation is this stop-motion animated tale based upon his 1984 live-action short film Frankenweenie. It’s a cleverly crafted family yarn that borrows heavily from Universal Studios B monster classics, specifically Frankenstein. The story revolves around the small suburban town of New Holland and Victor, a nerdy loner whose best friend is his pet pooch Sparky. When Sparky accidentally meets his demise while chasing a ball into the street Victor puts his imagination and scientific skills to good use and rigs up a lab in his attic.

He successfully brings Sparky back to life and keeps it from his parents but unfortunately not from a few of his nosey classmates who opt to try and replicate Victor’s success in order to win the upcoming science fair at school. Unbeknownst to them there was an ingredient that Victor/Sparky had which they are missing which results in rather odd creations that send the entire town into frenzy. It is up to Victor and Sparky to try and put things right. When the town discovers Victor’s secret they respond in true horror film style.

Frankenweenie is offbeat, with a wonderfully told (and familiar) story with a dark yet pleasing tone that has a throwback style which warms the heart, tickles the funny and serves as an homage to several classic movies from a bygone era. I love the idea of having the film in black and white as it adds an aesthetically genuine appeal to the subject matter. The production elements are excellent and the performances by the cast sweeten the deal. This isn’t Tim Burton’s best work but it’s an entertaining family film that targets kids as well as their parents.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic material, scary images and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Frankenweenie 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.7 Mbps.

This is a rewarding 3D presentation that features few examples of overtly gimmicky effects but emphasizes excellent depth and dimension. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects and characters layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. Fidelity appears intact as the film’s color, rich contrast and stable blacks are beautifully rendered and natural. Comparing this to the 2D version in terms of the rendering of detail, chromatic reproduction and contrast I found them to identical. I didn’t notice any distracting signs of ghosting/crosstalk or 3D related anomalies and thought it looked terrific.

Disney provides a lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix which compliments the film’s recorded elements quite nicely. This was a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, bass and music with discretely placed effects and atmospherics that utilize the entire soundstage. This isn’t a dynamically enhanced mix but bass response is palpably discerning and appropriate in support of the soundtrack. The audio is crystal clear, free of the edginess and has a polished appeal enriches the listening experience.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Monochrome reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Frankenweenie comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video with an average bitrate of 30 Mbps.

Looking at animated films from a “colorless” perspective is something that can take a little getting used. It isn’t an issue for me which allowed me to appreciate how wonderful this presentation is. Resolution in this 1.85:1 framed high definition presentation is exquisite as images onscreen appear lucid and sharp with crisp definition. The stop motion animated imagery contains lots of fine detail that is superbly conveyed in the characters, objects and backgrounds as they appear in the frame. Blacks and contrast have excellent dynamic range which plays very well against the film’s gradational shades of gray. Whites exhibit multistage delineation so that the blend of mixed content onscreen has appreciable depth of field. This is a pristinely rendered video presentation that looks terrific in high definition.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Frankenweenie 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2:

• Frankenweenie 2D Blu-ray (plus bonus features)

• (HD) Original short: Captain Sparky and the flying saucers – 2 minutes

• (HD) Miniatures in motion: Bringing Frankenweenie to life - 23 minute documentary

• (HD) Frankenweenie exhibit tour – 4 minutes

• Original Frankenweenie live action short film – 30 minutes

• (HD) “Pet sematary” music video by Plain White T

• Bonus DVD of Frankenweenie

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc of Frankenweenie

Final Thoughts:

Based on an original story/concept by Director Tim Burton Frankenweenie is offbeat family entertainment with a dark yet pleasing tone that has a throwback style which warms the heart, tickles the funny and serves as an homage to several classic movies from a bygone era. It comes to Blu-ray from Disney in this four disc set that features top notch 3D/2D high definition video, involving 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound and a fair supplemental package that is worth checking out if you enjoyed the film. Due to the nature of both the subject matter and production style I would recommend a rental before purchase. Either way Frankenweenie on (3D or 2D) Blu-ray is worthwhile viewing. Enjoy!

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Thanks Ralph...smile.gif

It will be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to it.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Great review as usual. It's midnite so I'm headed to Walmart to pick this up on 3D. I'm a huge Tim Burton fan and wanted badly to see this in cinemas but never found the time to be able too. I'm excited!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #4 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 03:55 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Thanks Ralph looking forward in watching this.

Frank

post #5 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was hoping the original Frankenweenie short would have been in HD!! If not, it's a shame! Still getting the BD!!
post #6 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 08:25 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMCurtis View Post

I was hoping the original Frankenweenie short would have been in HD!! If not, it's a shame! Still getting the BD!!

Greetings,

Yeah, it's not in HD and is framed at 1.33:1. It looks perfectly fine though.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #7 of 19 Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A blind buy for the youngsters. Disney NEVER disappoints with their 3D releases.
post #8 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 12:26 PM

Hey Ralph, my 3D BD didn't come with a slipcase. The 2D release has one but the 3D release did not. I'm surprised by this. I bought it from Best Buy.
post #9 of 19 Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Hey Ralph, my 3D BD didn't come with a slipcase. The 2D release has one but the 3D release did not. I'm surprised by this. I bought it from Best Buy.

Greetings,

My copy has a slip cover. Did you check the other 3D copies at BB for slipcovers?

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #10 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM

Ralph, thanks for telling me yours came with a slipcover. I went back to the BB today and they now had them with the slipcover. I grabbed one of them and went to the Customer Sevice Desk and told them about the fact that the one I'd bought on the release day didn't have one and they just gave me the slipcover. I buy a lot from them and they've always accomodated me. Glad I didn't have to go back a third time to swap out the original purchase.

I guess there was a slip-up and some slipped by without the slipcover!

OUCH!!
post #11 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Ralph, thanks for telling me yours came with a slipcover. I went back to the BB today and they now had them with the slipcover. I grabbed one of them and went to the Customer Sevice Desk and told them about the fact that the one I'd bought on the release day didn't have one and they just gave me the slipcover. I buy a lot from them and they've always accomodated me. Glad I didn't have to go back a third time to swap out the original purchase.

I guess there was a slip-up and some slipped by without the slipcover!

OUCH!!

Greetings,

Glad to hear it worked out JMCurtis. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #12 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 10:32 PM
CIH USER

I forgot to ask how similar is this movie to paranorman, is it suitable for young kids?

Frank

post #13 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I forgot to ask how similar is this movie to paranorman, is it suitable for young kids?

Greetings,

I think it should be fine Frank. It does deal with the loss of a pet and has mild thematic action/frights but neither rises to inappropriate levels for family watching

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #14 of 19 Old 01-11-2013, 04:48 AM
CIH USER

Thank you Ralph very much appreciated smile.gif

Frank

post #15 of 19 Old 01-13-2013, 07:33 PM
CIH USER

Kids enjoyed this one too. Very nice film.

Frank

post #16 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 09:13 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I think it should be fine Frank. It does deal with the loss of a pet and has mild thematic action/frights but neither rises to inappropriate levels for family watching

Regards,

I dont know...........I am thinking this one is not appropriate for some adults! eek.gif Kids will be fine I am sure, but........... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Man, I got ALL choked up and teary eyed during the scene when the dog gets hit by the car! frown.gif I had a much harder time with this one vs most "adult" type films for some reason! tongue.gif Being a dog lover, any type of scene like this in a movie always kills me!

Good movie though for sure.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #17 of 19 Old 01-14-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I dont know...........I am thinking this one is not appropriate for some adults! eek.gif Kids will be fine I am sure, but........... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Man, I got ALL choked up and teary eyed during the scene when the dog gets hit by the car! frown.gif I had a much harder time with this one vs most "adult" type films for some reason! tongue.gif Being a dog lover, any type of scene like this in a movie always kills me!

Greetings,

I hear you Todd... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #18 of 19 Old 01-15-2013, 05:53 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Todd that scene got us too. Being a dog owner for the first time ( coming up to a year ) we were saddened by that part too.

Frank

post #19 of 19 Old 01-15-2013, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Tim Burton movie without Johnny Depp?? How is this possible?eek.gif

Seriously though, as always I appreciate your write ups Ralph. Have a great week.

Make it a Great Day,

Shawn

Epson 8350

Carada 96' Screen

Onkyo 609

Sony BDP350

Polk CS1 Center channel

Polk Monitor 60

(4) Yamaha Satellite

Yamaha and Sony Subs

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Frankenweenie Four Disc Combo Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page