post #1 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Greetings,

Check out the press release below:

ACADEMY AWARD®-WINNING* ACTOR DENZEL WASHINGTON STARS IN OSCAR®-WINNING** DIRECTOR ROBERT ZEMECKIS’
RIVETING AND CRITICALLY-ACCLAIMED DRAMA
Flight
Arriving on Blu-ray February 5th 2013

FLIGHT makes its Blu-ray, DVD, Digital Download and On Demand debut on February 5, 2013 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. Hailed by critics and audiences alike, FLIGHT is directed by renowned filmmaker Robert Zemeckis (Forrest Gump, Cast Away) and stars the incomparable Denzel Washington in a performance that “will be talked about for years” (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone) and has earned him Golden Globe®, SAG and Critics’ Choice award nominations. Written by John Gatins, the film tells the story of Whip Whitaker, a commercial airline pilot who miraculously lands a plummeting airplane during a breathtaking sequence described as “the hairiest, scariest, most realistic, and thrilling plane crash in movie history” (Richard Corliss, Time). But despite his heroics, Whip comes under investigation and begins what may be an even more harrowing personal descent. FLIGHT also boasts an exceptional supporting cast including John Goodman, Don Cheadle, Kelly Reilly, Bruce Greenwood, Melissa Leo and Brian Geraghty.

FLIGHT will be available in a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack with UltraViolet™ and compelling special features that take audiences behind-the-scenes to learn about the film’s journey to the screen, how the filmmakers created the terrifying plane crash, and more. In addition, the two-disc set includes highlights from a Q&A panel. The film will also be available as a single-disc DVD.

All Blu-ray releases available for purchase will be enabled with UltraViolet, a new way to collect, access and enjoy movies. With UltraViolet, consumers can add movies to their digital collection in the cloud, and then stream or download them – reliably and securely – to a variety of devices.

FLIGHT Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
The FLIGHT Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The DVD in the combo pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The combo pack includes access to a digital copy of the film as well as the following:

Blu-ray
• Feature film in high definition
• Origins of Flight
• The Making of Flight
• Anatomy of a Plane Crash
• Q&A Highlights

DVD
• Feature film in standard definition

Here is the official Trailer:

I look forward to covering this one!! Look for my review in the coming weeks.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 05:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Ill blind buy this as its been released here in the theatres on 31 January 2013. Why spend the money going to theatres when I can own it on Blu ray smile.gif

Frank

post #3 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Technically the movie was a disaster. The way they set up the crash was an absolute joke. Couldn't they have at least hired a competent technical consultant?

Dumb enough to spend lots of cash on this junk!
post #4 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I was not impressed with this movie... the above metnioned technical issues lead into a less than impressive story with a very blah and predictable set of plot twists and ending.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #5 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyng_fool View Post

Technically the movie was a disaster. The way they set up the crash was an absolute joke. Couldn't they have at least hired a competent technical consultant?

Couldn't agree with more. Flying a CRJ900 inverted confused.gif , rolling it level, and then crash-landing it without a crater and huge fireball is just too much to ask. I was LMAO. smile.gif

HD-DVD = 94
Blu-Ray = 120 ( 24 Warner red2blu )
post #6 of 33 Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Good thing movies aren't solely based on technicality or else they'd be pretty boring.
MPMorph and marcusj0015 like this.
post #7 of 33 Old 01-20-2013, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

Good thing movies aren't solely based on technicality or else they'd be pretty boring.

I do agree that there are good points being made to argue both sides of the fence. However, even during periods of suspended belief, TV, cinema, and even fans of Plays have a reasonable expectation that certain things will occur. For example:

1) we expect dead people to stay dead, unless we are watching a horror/thriller/suspense movie.
2) In a good mystery, the creepy, mysterious, or just plain weird person who just "has to be the guilty one" is usually not the guilty one.
3) If there is a person who is mentally retarded or otherwise intellectually challenged, they will be brave beyond reason and even sacrifice themselves to save someone else.
4) If an animal has been separated from its owner during a fire, tornado, or other natural calamity, against all odds, just as the family has given up hope, the dog comes running out of the woods, pile of rubble, rainstorm, etc. to be once again reunited.

With that being said, I think we can reasonably expect, even without being too finicky about technical inaccuracies, that a plan crash will yield some reasonable evidence of high velocity impact.
post #8 of 33 Old 01-20-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Give me a break the plane crash was probably the best scene sequence of the movie. Explain to us genius how were they supposed to setup the crash. :rolleyes:The movie had a lot of good moments and scenes in it. Not a great movie but a very good one and some good performances.
post #9 of 33 Old 01-20-2013, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jevans64 View Post

Couldn't agree with more. Flying a CRJ900 inverted confused.gif , rolling it level, and then crash-landing it without a crater and huge fireball is just too much to ask. I was LMAO. smile.gif

It's called a movie not reality and as much as we don't believe something like that couldn't happen it could happen then what are you going to complain about. This board is full of complainers.
post #10 of 33 Old 01-20-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosh70 View Post

Then they should just pick some other scenario. Air Force One was pretty exciting and technically OK.

I'm an aviation nut. It's my "other" hobby. This movie is ludicrous.
post #11 of 33 Old 01-20-2013, 06:37 PM

Liked: 16

Movies are "entertainment" hello! LOL :/

marcusj0015 likes this.
post #12 of 33 Old 01-20-2013, 07:48 PM

Liked: 20
I'm in the medical field. I think pretty much every movie that involves a hospital scene, resuscitation efforts and so forth are ridiculous in the errors they have. Laughable really. They should just leave all that nonsense out. Maybe just make documentaries for us to watch on the big screen.....cool.gif
post #13 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 12:23 AM

Liked: 10
This is the problem with most movie viewers, they expect logic but don't understand how design goes, so they get mad that the scene is inaccurate, when the whole purpose of the inaccuracy is the drama and design. Ugh, kill yo selves. you're seriously making everyone else have bad time.

onto the movie, I liked until about the half-way point, where he became captain save-a-hoe, she was a druggie yet telling him she was gonna leave over his alcoholism?! then ofcourse expects him to chase after her ass, and just the cliche "dude does everything, girl merely sits around."

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I wish he hadn't told the truth, all it did was cliché the ending, and dropped it from a good movie, to a bad one, He totally should have lied his way through the damn hearing, and the "Oh, I just couldn't lie anymore" thing didn't hold water, and to me was an example of screen writers trying to make a tragedy into a politically correct happy ending.
post #14 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 146
^ very much correct, IMO.

I began to enjoy movies even more when I did one thing: accepted the fact that a film- any film- reserves the right to be extraordinary.

Extraordinary: going beyond what is usual, regular, or customary.

I understand the valid criticisms from doctors, pilots and other field experts.

Crucially though, using them to guide my opinion on a film is completely counterproductive to what I'm trying to do which is: be entertained.

I'm not tying to change anyone else's mind, just my perspective.

Personally, I'm excited to see this film.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #15 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 08:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
physics issues aside .. I enjoyed it for John Goodman's character alone ... funny stuff.
post #16 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post

Give me a break the plane crash was probably the best scene sequence of the movie. Explain to us genius how were they supposed to setup the crash. :rolleyes:The movie had a lot of good moments and scenes in it. Not a great movie but a very good one and some good performances.
Um, how about a stabilator jamming but they also lose elevator control? Or pulling the fire handle and the engine continues to run? Or how about overspeeding the aircraft in turbulence and then not getting busted for overstressing the airframe?

Look, if it was a couple of minor faults I could deal with it. But the flaws were many and horrific! Having said that it was still a good tale of redemption.

post #17 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 07:10 PM

Liked: 31
Eh...hem, DENZALE !!! Nuff said ......smile.gif

Thanks King P
post #18 of 33 Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post

It's called a movie not reality and as much as we don't believe something like that couldn't happen it could happen then what are you going to complain about. This board is full of complainers.

You act as if there are no levels of bending the possible...

Bending the rules is fine and often necessary to make a movie exciting... people making incredible shots with a handgun while moving... guys who can remember every detail in a room at a glance... ok yes some things...

But lets say a guy needs to outrun cops on motorcycles and so hops on a goat who's legs spin cartoon style and the goat gets up to 150 mph and jumps the grand canyon unscathed...

See there are different levels of bending the possible... some are just so rediculous they take your attention away from the story.

Flying an iverted jumbo jet then rolling back on windmilling engines to a non catostrophic crash landing... yeah that's one step shy of the goat with spinning legs.

Monster Gold Plated Optical Cables: http://monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

Awesome user review: "Unreal quality. Sounded like I upgraded my speakers." :D
post #19 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Ralph looking forward to your review. I cant wait to see this film.

Frank

post #20 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 05:50 AM

How many people do you think have recognised that? How many people have you ruined the movie for, becuase they'll never be able to see the scenes without thinking abot the stuff you just said? Welcome to being an *******.
post #21 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

How many people do you think have recognised that? How many people have you ruined the movie for, becuase they'll never be able to see the scenes without thinking abot the stuff you just said? Welcome to being an *******.
oh boo hoo, Cry me a river. Telling a few plot details doesn't ruin a movie like this. There's no big mystery element to it. They'll either like the movie or not, technical details aren't usually a deal killer unless a person has a vested interest in accuracy.

post #22 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 12:56 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Suspension of disbelief

calm down people...
marcusj0015 likes this.

post #23 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 PM

Liked: 11
If you were unhappy about the plane crash here, you'd have been equally unhappy with the train crash in Super 8.
marcusj0015 likes this.
post #24 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 06:09 PM

I actually thought the train crash in Super 8 was KICK ****ING ASS. OMG. but ofcourse, I'm not a train engineer, and don't really GAF about the physics of a million+ pound train flying into the air, and that's what movies are for, don't like it, don't watch it.
post #25 of 33 Old 01-22-2013, 10:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 50
A movie that was meant to be a movie. Not a documentary. Not based of something actually happening. Leave it to the lovely people of AVS to complain about an aspect that simply should not be looked into.

Up next. Resident evil. Those dogs had a bit to much color to be dead.
marcusj0015 likes this.
post #26 of 33 Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 393
Greetings,

Okay, I think we have beaten this horse do death. For those that didn't find the film entertaining no problem you're certainly entitled to your opinion. For those that did or are looking forward to seeing it. Keep an eye out for my upcoming Blu-ray coverage.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #27 of 33 Old 01-23-2013, 03:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusj0015 View Post

...physics of a million+ pound train flying into the air, and that's what movies are for, don't like it, don't watch it.
The main "physics" problem was the "million+ pound train" being derailed by a 3500lb truck wink.gif .....but you are right in your premiss about movies not (generally) being about reality or full plausibility. Flight is no exception. If you have a problem with suspended belief in Flight then how do you watch ANY film, because of noise/explosions in space, never reloading guns, no need for sleep/eating/restroom, wounds that heal in hours, cars that fly 100's of feet in the air and still drive,.......?
marcusj0015 likes this.
post #28 of 33 Old 01-23-2013, 04:21 AM
AVS Special Member

I think there's a difference between movies that are meant to be fantasy and those that are meant to have a basis in reality. It is much easier to suspend reality in movies such as Star Wars or Iron Man. It's more difficult with things that actually exist. Well, for me it is anyway.

post #29 of 33 Old 01-23-2013, 04:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Okay, I think we have beaten this horse do death. For those that didn't find the film entertaining no problem you're certainly entitled to your opinion. For those that did or are looking forward to seeing it. Keep an eye out for my upcoming Blu-ray coverage.

Regards,

Thanks Ralph.

Frank

post #30 of 33 Old 01-23-2013, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Quote:

I think there's a difference between movies that are meant to be fantasy and those that are meant to have a basis in reality. It is much easier to suspend reality in movies such as Star Wars or Iron Man. It's more difficult with things that actually exist. Well, for me it is anyway.

Please list a few of these films "that are meant to have a basis in reality" that don't contain any plot holes, exaggerations, embellishments or illusions of truth. Even films based on actual events (Pear Harbor, Battle of the Bulge, World Trade Center, The Longest Day, The Great Raid...) or real people (Amadeus, The Aviator, Paton, The King's Speech, Forrest Gump biggrin.gif ...) take liberties for the purposes of entertainment. Flight is not about an actual event or person and is meant to be ONLY for entertainment.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Flight Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page