Starring: Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Lena Heady, Wood Harris
Directed by: Pete Travis
Music by: Paul Leonard-Morgan
Written by: Alex Garland
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: January 8, 2013

"Judgment is coming"

Film Synopsis:

The future America is an irradiated wasteland. On its east coast, running from Boston to Washington D.C. lies Mega City One – a vast, violent metropolis where criminals rule the chaotic streets. The only force of order lies with the urban cops called “Judges” who possess the combined powers of judge, jury and instant executioner. Known and feared throughout the city, Dredd (Urban) is the ultimate Judge, challenged with ridding the city of its latest scourge, a dangerous drug called “Slo-Mo,” and the sadistic crime boss Ma-Ma (Headey) who is using it to take over the city.

My Take:

My only real familiarity with Judge Dredd prior to this film was the 1995 Sylvester Stallone vehicle which at the time was pretty campy but not among the worst action/sci-fi films to come down the pike. Dredd is based on the British comic 2000 AD and its eponymous character Judge Dredd created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. There is little need for an in-depth breakdown of the storyline as the synopsis above pretty much covers it. The narrative is brief and to the point. This is a straight up action flick that eschews deep characters or entangled elements in favor of getting to the heart of the matter. Despite sharing the same lead character/dystopian themed setting there is essentially no similarities between this and the 1995 film. The character of Dredd here is of the extreme variety and the level of violence and societal anguish has a visceral edginess that lasts throughout.

I think that it works quite well in unison with the cinematography and production design which further enhances the concept/storyline. Sometimes simpler is better. Like the plot these aren’t complex characters but they fit neatly within the narrative’s construct. Each is aptly supported by the performances of Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby and Lena Heady. I have to say that I hesitate to call Dredd a “remake”, primarily for the aforementioned reasons. If looked at in that light there is little question of which is superior although I am sure there are proponents of each. As for me I simply enjoyed Dredd for what it is. Popcorn entertainment with a flair…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence, language, drug use and some sexual content.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)
  • Dynamics:
  • Low frequency extension:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:

3D Presentation: 80

• Depth (Onscreen):
  • Dimension (Beyond the screen):
  • Realism:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Color reproduction:

Dredd 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.4 Mbps.

This film was shot natively in 3D and its elements positively translate to high definition on Blu-ray. The film was shot using a mix of live action and CGI and the reproduction of color, digital effects and wide angle background elements is quite good. Depth varies with some scenes exhibiting an appreciable sense of dimension while others have a less discerning sense of virtual space. Like the 2D presentation resolution is rarely questionable in close ups but it varies some in the limited lighting that comprises much of the film. For much of the presentation there is a noticeable lack of 3D effects that transcend the boundaries of the screen which makes for a somewhat less involving experience especially for an action film. Fortunately there is interesting use of subtle 3D elements and camera techniques that effectively use the platform which in turn bolsters the entertainment factor. I noticed some minor crosstalk and aliasing but neither rose to overtly distracting levels. The end result is a fair but ultimately unremarkable 3D video presentation.

Action films like this live or die by their soundtracks and this DTS-HD Master Audio mix gets it right. This is an engaging surround sound mix that features an array of well placed sound effects that at times prove very involving. I appreciated the attention to detail that went into creating the surround mix as it effectively replicates the environments featured in the film. Near field sounds are accurately placed within the sound field which gives them multi-dimensional perspective that places you right in the middle of the action. During the action based sequence that take place in the Peach Trees complex the room is illuminated with an array of sounds that are both directional and ambient in nature. Low frequencies are rich, and occasionally room energizing as they accentuate the audio’s excellent dynamic range with palpable impact. Dialogue intelligibility is never a problem even during the film’s more active moments. This is a great surround sound presentation that makes for an entertaining home theater experience. Be sure to give the volume knob an extra turn.

For those of you seeking objective measurements, graphs, or more info about the bass in this movie, visit the Data-Bass.com Low Frequency content thread or peruse their entire list of original measurements in the comprehensive Bass Movie measurements Google spreadsheet You can also visit The New Master List of Bass in Movies with frequency charts thread to discuss this movie right here on AVS!

2D Video Quality:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black level/Shadow detail:
  • Color reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

Dredd comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 26 Mbps.

This film utilizes a stylized visual design that has a limited color scheme that works aesthetically well for the subject matter. The color range is limited to shades of dark blue, gray and black with splashes of crimson red, and muted sepia tones. Warm golden accents are used to break up the film’s monochromatic essence. Uneven light and shading are prevalent. Contrast is spot on which empowers whites and grays without whitewashing detail. The film was largely shot against green screens which softened some of the background elements during wide angle pans but I never found it to be excessive or distracting. Overall I found the quality of the video to be high. It isn’t always razor sharp but is cleanly rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increased the perception of fine detail. Blacks are dynamic and gradationally revealing and shadow detail is just as strong. I was enamored by the film’s deep grays, rich contrast and intriguing use of color. I didn’t see any distracting signs of video degrading artifacts or extraneous compression related noise. It looked great on my big screen.

Bonus Features:
  • (HD) “Mega-City Masters”: 35 Years of Judge Dredd” – 14 minute featurette
  • (HD) “Day of Chaos: The Visual Effects of Dredd 3D” – 15 minute featurette
  • (HD) “Dredd” – 2 minute feature
  • (HD) “Dredd’s Gear” - 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) “The 3rd Dimension” – 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) “Welcome to Peachtrees” - 2 minute featurette
  • (HD) Dredd Motion Comic Prequel – 3 minutes
  • (HD) Theatrical trailer

Final Thoughts:

Based upon the British comic 2000 AD and its eponymous character Judge Dredd created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra, Dredd is as stylish as it is visceral in its depiction of dystopian America and the cops that patrol the chaos riddled city of Mega One. I kicked back, took it all in and found it to be an entertaining action flick that took no prisoners and made no excuses. Dredd comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video, subtle but gratifying 3D effects and reference quality 7.1 channel lossless surround sound. The supplemental package isn’t extensive but is worth checking out especially if you liked the film. All in all Dredd makes for a rewarding addition to the collections of those that can appreciate it’s take on the genre. At the very least it’s worth the cost of a rental to check out its technical merits on Blu-ray. Enjoy!

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection

Last edited by Ralph Potts; 07-03-2014 at 10:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Nice review Mr. Potts.

After I watched it last Saturday this was what I posted on another forum.
Quote:
OK gents....just finished watching Dredd. The most outrageous, crazy, over-the-top, mamajama, kick you in the pants, ridiculously excessive, one of the most deepest bass, foundation shaking, tremorous sound tracks I have ever heard. This is the new go to movie for scaring the crap out of unsuspecting audience members

LOL
Thomas 1966 likes this.

Hometheatergeek

aka AL
----------
My Current System
post #3 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 01:31 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Thanks Ralph. Great review and I agree with you on the 3d aspect. Audio was very good, but not quite reference in my book (the classroom scene had some memorable LFE though!) I enjoyed the movie well enough and I am sure it will get a few more spins. smile.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #4 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Movie was great! Over the top it is! Gotta love it!
Can't wait to see it in 3D once I get my BenQ1070!
post #5 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Liked: 14
I wouldnt call it a "remake" more like an homage to the original. I actually liked the first one very much (Perhaps because I was a kid then unlike some of the more "Experienced" members of the board LoL) and this one followed the typical 80's/early 90's over the top super machismo. This one was a little more graphic and gritty (Akin to batman remakes) but still felt Dredd. It is a good action flick where you dont need to turn your brain off entirely. Definite rent and buy on sale if you liked the first.
post #6 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post

Definite rent and buy on sale if you liked the first.

I will definitely be adding this flick to my Blu-ray collection, once the price drops to $14.99 or lower. smile.gif

post #7 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 03:49 PM

Liked: 11
I fell asleep during the movie. I had such hopes for it, because I generally like Karl Urban. I plan to give it another go when I've had a cup of coffee or two beforehand. I bought an HDX copy on VUDU -- as a blind buy. Perhaps the 3D blu-ray is more exciting?
post #8 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
I debated about going to the theater and watching this and decided to wait, but I have to admit, I really enjoyed this movie in that excessive violent way :-)
I felt like it was on par with Priest, which I also enjoyed, but Im glad I didn't spend 30+ dollars at the theater to see it, but definitely worth the purchase.
post #9 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I was pleasantly suprised with this one. Good action fun! I really enjoyed the use of the Phantom cameras to provide some incredible slow motion during some of the action.

Looky here!
post #10 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
What a suprise! The Blu-Ray 3D is wonderful. The effects of the drugs are great 3D moments that you can enjoy without being dragged in front of a grand jury. The action is non stop and fun. Everyone is good, but I particularly liked Lena (Sarah Conner) Heady, the leading bad ass "Big Mama" who sets new levels for being vicious. Thanks for reviewing it the way you did Ralph. Everyone I know thought it was a remake and its a completely different futuristic film noir. If you buy some Blu-Rays for fun, this should be one of them!
post #11 of 78 Old 01-23-2013, 09:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15

NICE!!  Is it me, or were certain scenes not a work of art?  Almost anything filmed at 2000 - 3000 FPS if a work of art.  tongue.gif

Also, since I don't have an 11.1 Neo X native speaker config, I'm not sure if I heard everything the way it was intended. confused.gif

I liked the feature that allowed you to test out the sound check for 5.1, 7.1 or 11.1 speaker set-up. 

Did anyone else test this feature out or even find it cool?  Ralph?

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #12 of 78 Old 01-24-2013, 04:24 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 200
This was a good film enjoyed it very much.

Frank

post #13 of 78 Old 01-24-2013, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I really enjoyed this one too. I actually liked that the depth of 3D wasn't very much at times. It seemed to me like they turned it up when it was adding something to the experience and turned it back down when it didn't.

Ralph did you notice that the soundtrack on this one was exceptionally hot? It stood out to me that the average SPL throughout the show was much higher than I'm used to. Or was that just me?

I'm not into "thumbs upping" or "liking". Don't take it personally. Just assume that I found your post helpful. Unless it wasn't.
post #14 of 78 Old 01-24-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

I really enjoyed this one too. I actually liked that the depth of 3D wasn't very much at times. It seemed to me like they turned it up when it was adding something to the experience and turned it back down when it didn't.

Ralph did you notice that the soundtrack on this one was exceptionally hot? It stood out to me that the average SPL throughout the show was much higher than I'm used to. Or was that just me?

Greetings,

I wouldn't say it was exceptionally hot but the mix isn't laid back either. I thought it was certainly appropriate given the film's theme. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #15 of 78 Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

NICE!!  Is it me, or were certain scenes not a work of art?  Almost anything filmed at 2000 - 3000 FPS if a work of art.  tongue.gif

Also, since I don't have an 11.1 Neo X native speaker config, I'm not sure if I heard everything the way it was intended. confused.gif

I liked the feature that allowed you to test out the sound check for 5.1, 7.1 or 11.1 speaker set-up. 

Greetings,

I would say that you didn't miss anything although I am sure that an 11.1 channel rig might have enhanced the experience. I have tested that feature (on Expendables 2) and agree that it is pretty cool... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #16 of 78 Old 01-24-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
Ralph, I always enjoy your reviews...you are my most trusted "go to guy" for PQ, AQ, and content! smile.gif

In 2D I saw what looked like digital noise or artificial film grain in many scenes, but in 3D it was not present. Did you see anything like that?

For me the film really came alive visually in 3D, so much so that I would only watch again in 3D.
post #17 of 78 Old 01-24-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I was pleasantly suprised with this one. Good action fun! I really enjoyed the use of the Phantom cameras to provide some incredible slow motion during some of the action.

yeah, I'm surprised that the reviews (pro and in the forums here) aren't giving more credit for the innovative camera use. I think it is up there for 3D demo material along with Prometheus and Avatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebesthereis View Post

I also liked this. I hadn't seen it on other discs before. I just had 7.1 though. I guess I'll probably upgrade to adding some height speakers if Dolby Atmos ever makes it home.

Matt
post #18 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 AM

Nice review

This was one of my favorite films of 2012.

But I don't have a 3d tv so I have only watched it in 2d so far.

I saw it in theaters in 3d and it was great.
post #19 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM
Advanced Member

FYI - for folks who are thinking about adding Dredd 3D to there Blu-ray collection.

Next week it will be on sale for $19.99 at Best Buy.
So if you use the $5 off Upgrade & Save coupon you can pickup Dredd 3D for only $14.99.

I plan on picking up a copy Sunday morning. cool.gif

post #20 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 12
I recently purchased, modified, and got the 9G 60 inch Kuro (and calibrated by a professional calibrator). This was the first movie that BLEW my mind, when it came to picture quality with some of those slow-mo shots. Obviously I didn't get the 3d version, but I must say, if you want to show off your television set, there are some scenes on this that I have yet to see matched.
post #21 of 78 Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM

Hi guys just went to watch Dredd 3d tonight and it won't play in my ps3 ... Anyone else have this issue it plays in my friends Samsung player weird. First time Ps3 ever had an issue with any movie 2 or 3 D I was all ready for Dredd 3d tonight
post #22 of 78 Old 01-26-2013, 07:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiz641 View Post

Hi guys just went to watch Dredd 3d tonight and it won't play in my ps3 ... Anyone else have this issue it plays in my friends Samsung player weird. First time Ps3 ever had an issue with any movie 2 or 3 D I was all ready for Dredd 3d tonight

Yes, there are people on other forums, that had problems with Dredd 3D not playing in there players.
One guy took his copy back to BB and exchanged it for another copy, got home and it still won't play in his machine.

post #23 of 78 Old 01-26-2013, 11:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I would say that you didn't miss anything although I am sure that an 11.1 channel rig might have enhanced the experience. I have tested that feature (on Expendables 2) and agree that it is pretty cool... smile.gif

Regards,

I agree and would like to add, that I have the impression that for Expendables 2 the Heights - I have a 9.2 channel rig - were more active for distinct sound effects than for Dredd, where they were used to make the sound stage richer and added more ambient sounds. In general, I found it nice to have but not absolutely necessary.
However, it is great to finally have the 'software for the hardware'.
post #24 of 78 Old 01-26-2013, 06:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTNUT1975 View Post

I recently purchased, modified, and got the 9G 60 inch Kuro (and calibrated by a professional calibrator). This was the first movie that BLEW my mind, when it came to picture quality with some of those slow-mo shots. Obviously I didn't get the 3d version, but I must say, if you want to show off your television set, there are some scenes on this that I have yet to see matched.

I think if you bought the 2D version (Blu Ray) then you also have the 3D version as well.  The US version of the Blu Ray disc has both versions on the same disc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat4843 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiz641 View Post

Yes, there are people on other forums, that had problems with Dredd 3D not playing in there players.
One guy took his copy back to BB and exchanged it for another copy, got home and it still won't play in his machine.

Interesting.  I played it on my PS3 with no issues so I guess there could be a bad batch out there somewhere.  I'll try it on my 3D laptop to see if there are any issues.

Sofa King Bananas

"My mother****** is so cool, when he goes to bed, sheep count him." Pinky

post #25 of 78 Old 01-27-2013, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I just traded in a few old DVDs at Best Buy and picked this up. The checkout girl warned me that this particular store has been seeing allot of returns with this movie. I plan on watching it within the next day or so. I will try to report back my findings.
post #26 of 78 Old 01-27-2013, 07:15 PM

So yea I'm even more pissed I tried it tonight on my brothers cheap on sale 50 dollar Sony blu ray player an it works .... Come back home an try my brand new ps3 and nope nothing wont even read it lol .... Go up to my friends apt on his Samsung an it starts right up lol ... Guess not worth trading in for a new copy since I doubt it's the disc at this point frown.gif hopefully ps3 will have some kinda update an it will work I really do wanna watch this in 3d in my own apt. Or maybe just buy another blu ray payer on sale ill see grrr
post #27 of 78 Old 01-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up my copy of Dredd on Sunday at Best Buy.
Got back home and placed it in my Sony BDP-S580 and it played flawlessly.

I got the only copy of Dredd left in the whole store and was worried that it wouldn't play on my player.
I'm relieved.

post #28 of 78 Old 01-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
- Saw the movie yesterday and thought it was pretty kick ass. Really enjoyed it! I thought it was definitely a step above "popcorn flick". The story and acting was above your typical "action movie".
- Rented from netflix. Pretty much the worst transfer I've ever seen in a modern day bluray. Tons of jaggies....especially on Dredd's helmet. Tons of digital grain as well. I am not sure if the Netflix disc is compressed differently or not. Also, the disc froze at one point on my PS3, and had some weird scan lines at another point...again, not sure if it's the Rental version, or the PS3 causing issues.
post #29 of 78 Old 01-29-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormshadow4life View Post

- Saw the movie yesterday and thought it was pretty kick ass. Really enjoyed it! I thought it was definitely a step above "popcorn flick". The story and acting was above your typical "action movie".
- Rented from netflix. Pretty much the worst transfer I've ever seen in a modern day bluray. Tons of jaggies....especially on Dredd's helmet. Tons of digital grain as well. I am not sure if the Netflix disc is compressed differently or not. Also, the disc froze at one point on my PS3, and had some weird scan lines at another point...again, not sure if it's the Rental version, or the PS3 causing issues.

There have been reports of problems with the Netflix disc. It's really a lovely transfer.

Looky here!
post #30 of 78 Old 01-29-2013, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
In order to play my copy, I had to change the setttings in my Panasonic 310 player. Every other 3D disc has played fine (I have over 90), but for this one I had to set the player to automatic mode - now I get an extra menu pop-up for all 3D discs because of how it has to be set for this one 3D. Leave it to Lionsgate to make things harder. Without changing the setting, it doesn't recognize my player as being 3D capable. Those of you having issues may need to look into your player's settings.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Dredd 3d Blu Ray Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page