post #31 of 60 Old 02-09-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by adidino View Post

Can't go wrong with the Lumis. Can't do much better.
I'm going to try the Bryston SP3 + Trinnov a spin. I thought a basic featured processor with the best possible analog output section would make sense considering I'm going through Trinnov anyway. We'll see how that works out but I have a good feeling about it.

With a modded Oppo, you wouldn;t even need the Bryston having the Trinnov do volume control. And the Oppo has an additional HDMI inout so you could send two HDMI sources digitally into the Trinnov MC. Just a thought.

Very nice. I'm heading towards Trinnov myself but will do the upgrades in the summer or fall when I have time to revamp other parts of my system as well.

Best

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 02-09-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

With a modded Oppo, you wouldn;t even need the Bryston having the Trinnov do volume control. And the Oppo has an additional HDMI inout so you could send two HDMI sources digitally into the Trinnov MC. Just a thought.

Very nice. I'm heading towards Trinnov myself but will do the upgrades in the summer or fall when I have time to revamp other parts of my system as well.

Best

I considered that but no post processing (Prologic IIx)
post #33 of 60 Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Received my copy today, looking forward in watching it tonight.

Frank

post #34 of 60 Old 02-11-2013, 09:47 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Saw the movie and must say it is a really good movie.
post #35 of 60 Old 02-11-2013, 06:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Saw the movie and must say it is a really good movie.

I agree I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I bought this on a blind buy. Denzel did a great job as usual.

Frank

post #36 of 60 Old 02-11-2013, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I agree I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I bought this on a blind buy. Denzel did a great job as usual.

Ditto. Found that it was filmed with a Red Epic and was shocked since it didn't look like the other red films I've seen.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #37 of 60 Old 02-11-2013, 08:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Ditto. Found that it was filmed with a Red Epic and was shocked since it didn't look like the other red films I've seen.

Not familiar at all until I googled what Red Epic is which film/films you were comparing it too? And the difference ?

Frank

post #38 of 60 Old 02-11-2013, 08:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Not familiar at all until I googled what Red Epic is which film/films you were comparing it too? And the difference ?

Prometheus, District 9, The Hobbit, and Dredd. http://www.red.com/shot-on-red

The first 3 imho were incredibly sharp and I loved it. Dredd and Flight looked more "filmic" to me (For some odd reason I prefer the film look on dramas and non cgi films). I like the sharp looks from the Red on CGI heavy films but didn't know the filmic look was possible with the Red.

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #39 of 60 Old 02-12-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Don't confuse the early "Red One" camera with the 2nd generation cameras. They are very different, not the least of which is resolution. (4K vs 5K)
post #40 of 60 Old 02-12-2013, 03:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Let's not for get the actress with one of the hottest bodies you'll ever see in gorgeous full nudity in the opening scene! I laughed out loud when Denzel was talking on the phone while she bent over in fron of him. Classic! My wife turned to me and before I could say a word she said, "That's a nice body". AllI could do was agree.
carageuw likes this.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #41 of 60 Old 02-13-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Let's not for get the actress with one of the hottest bodies you'll ever see in gorgeous full nudity in the opening scene! I laughed out loud when Denzel was talking on the phone while she bent over in fron of him. Classic!

Definitely smile.gif

Frank

post #42 of 60 Old 02-13-2013, 08:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Quote:

Let's not for get the actress with one of the hottest bodies you'll ever see in gorgeous full nudity in the opening scene! I laughed out loud when Denzel was talking on the phone while she bent over in fron of him. Classic! My wife turned to me and before I could say a word she said, "That's a nice body". AllI could do was agree.

YES! The look on Denzel's face in this scene/moment was hilarious! biggrin.gif Great way to kick off the movie though........got my attention. tongue.gif
asere likes this.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #43 of 60 Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Yep my wife said the same thing. I forgot Denzel was present at the opening scene LOL!!!
post #44 of 60 Old 02-23-2013, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 277
Picked up a copy of this on release day. I loved the film. I really did not know much of the film, but bought it anyway. I really think that Don Cheadle did a fantastic job and really played the part well and I can say the same for John Goodman. I think this was a great mix of actors and I would certainly love to see it again. I also liked the fact that this movie had a bit of comedy, drama and suspense. Had a good story line and kept my attention start to finish.
post #45 of 60 Old 02-26-2013, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by asere View Post

Yep my wife said the same thing. I forgot Denzel was present at the opening scene LOL!!!

Denzel who....?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #46 of 60 Old 02-28-2013, 08:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
awesome!
post #47 of 60 Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As any Robert Zemicks' movie the video is first rate, to my eyes reference quality material. Although dialog was clear, I was disappointed with the sound, especially the plane crash, not enough ambience and LFE.
The movie is very good and Denzel delivers a superb performance.
post #48 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I like this movie and im thought Denzel was great in it but he was the same as he is in almost every movie. . Just a bit more. . I will say the one Denzel movie I saw where he was decidedly less 'Denzel' was The Book of Eli.

Anyhoo, good review. Good movie.

Kaboom.
post #49 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

I like this movie and im thought Denzel was great in it but he was the same as he is in almost every movie. . Just a bit more. . I will say the one Denzel movie I saw where he was decidedly less 'Denzel' was The Book of Eli.

Anyhoo, good review. Good movie.
Another one with the Denzel being Denzel nonsense.

How is he the same. He's playing a character that has a drug/alcohol addiction. I don't recall him playing many characters like that. What else is he supposed to be? Unless he's imitating someone he's going to be Denzel in most movies. It's the delivery, emotions, etc. are what separatevery good actors. Denzel does that very well in most of his movies.
post #50 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mldardy View Post

How is he the same. He's playing a character that has a drug/alcohol addiction. I don't recall him playing many characters like that. What else is he supposed to be? Unless he's imitating someone he's going to be Denzel in most movies. It's the delivery, emotions, etc. are what separatevery good actors. Denzel does that very well in most of his movies.
Just off the top of my head, MAN ON FIRE features a boozed out Denzel acting pretty much the same -- out of control as to indulgences, yet still astonishingly competent to perform a dangerous job. But beyond that, I understand the observation of sameness to him. For whatever reason certain folks don't seem to be able to register outside of their typical onscreen persona -- Denzel has this effect on me, Tom Cruise strikes very similar chords as well -- no matter how different the particulars of their roles, or even how well played, I can't ever shake the actor away from his persona to recognize a distinct character. Now if you like what is being projected, I guess you're all good with that. Oddly, when I see Denzel on talk shows, he does actually strike a different-seeming posture than he does in his movies -- seems like he might be a different character than the one you expect to identify.
post #51 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Just off the top of my head, MAN ON FIRE features a boozed out Denzel acting pretty much the same -- out of control as to indulgences, yet still astonishingly competent to perform a dangerous job. But beyond that, I understand the observation of sameness to him. For whatever reason certain folks don't seem to be able to register outside of their typical onscreen persona -- Denzel has this effect on me, Tom Cruise strikes very similar chords as well -- no matter how different the particulars of their roles, or even how well played, I can't ever shake the actor away from his persona to recognize a distinct character. Now if you like what is being projected, I guess you're all good with that. Oddly, when I see Denzel on talk shows, he does actually strike a different-seeming posture than he does in his movies -- seems like he might be a different character than the one you expect to identify.

OK this post is all over the place. So are you saying Denzel isn't being Denzel in movies? You say he does have a different-seeming posture in interviews.

I said I don't recall him playing many characters with a drug/alcohol addition. That's one example and that you are really stretching it because it isn't like the character in Flight. I gave examples on the 1st page of where 'Denzel isn't being Denzel'.
post #52 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

He is always the same. With rare exception. The other poster pointed out Tom Cruise as well. Good Call. Compare him to real character actors, Daniel Day Lewis, ,Gary Oldman etc. We can agree to disagree but don't belittle my opinion as nonsense simply because it doesn't agree with yours. It never ceases to amaze me the discourtesy that gets shown on these boards and it's no wonder that more women aren't interested in this hobby.

Kaboom.
post #53 of 60 Old 03-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut4772 View Post

He is always the same. With rare exception. The other poster pointed out Tom Cruise as well. Good Call. Compare him to real character actors, Daniel Day Lewis, ,Gary Oldman etc. We can agree to disagree but don't belittle my opinion as nonsense simply because it doesn't agree with yours. It never ceases to amaze me the discourtesy that gets shown on these boards and it's no wonder that more women aren't interested in this hobby.

First I didn't belittle anyone. I read and re-read his post and it is extremely contradictory. If you want to call that belittle that's your problem but it doesn't make any sense. Why don't you stop trying to be the tough internet guy because it won't work with me.

As far as real character actors, let's look at the material actors like Oldman, DDL are often playing roles in period pieces or imitating someone. Actors like DDL especially are choosy about their roles. You can count on 1 hand the roles he's played in the last 10 years. He hasn't done anything special that Washington hasn't done. Are you telling me Washington can't do this if required to? He has shown this in John Q, Man On Fire, The Hurricane, Cry Freedom, He Got Game, Glory. Yeah I'm sure he was the exact same in those movies.rolleyes.gif Characters actors, give me a break are you really trying to state that Washington isn't a real character actor when given the opportunity. If so you would be dead wrong .
post #54 of 60 Old 03-04-2013, 04:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Again , these are opinions. No one is right or wrong. And I'm not a tough Internet ' guy' but I certainly see that you are.

Kaboom.
post #55 of 60 Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Greetings,

I appreciate the spirit of the discussion but would ask that we tone down the inflammatory banter. Remember, we can all have our say and are entitled to do so as long as respectful and proper decorum is maintained.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #56 of 60 Old 03-04-2013, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 26
Quote:

OK this post is all over the place. So are you saying Denzel isn't being Denzel in movies? You say he does have a different-seeming posture in interviews.

I said I don't recall him playing many characters with a drug/alcohol addition. That's one example and that you are really stretching it because it isn't like the character in Flight. I gave examples on the 1st page of where 'Denzel isn't being Denzel'.
Well, hard to imagine the post is all over the place -- it is so short as to only have the capacity to visit a few places... which I see no contradiction in, by the way. In fact, I might just venture there is no real possibility of contradiction since I was only ever making declarations of my impressions. I certainly never posited Denzel was not being Denzel in his movies -- are you that desperate to stir something up here that you would have to reach that far for some definitive pronouncement on my part?

Of course I do not know Denzel Washington -- I'm not sure I would know if he were seeming to be himself even if I did know him -- that is kindof an existential question -- does any person have the ability to not be himself? -- a person "writes" their capabilities with every passing second, and may not ever be able to act unlike themselves by simple definition -- that is way beyond the philosophical scope of my post. Even acting a character is writing the DENZEL persona, moment by moment.

But in any case, he does strike me as more or less the same in his movies and slightly different playing the talk show guest part. Go figure -- it is my impression. That is all.
post #57 of 60 Old 03-04-2013, 01:09 PM
g4s

Liked: 17
We watched this one the other night. We liked it. Thought it went a little over the top when Denzel's character went for those bottles in the adjoining hotel room towards the end. That meant we got to see John Goodman's character again though. How about that bottle opener on his Caddy's dashboard.
post #58 of 60 Old 04-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Denzel surprised me (again) with this movie. I agree with you Ralph, I wasn't expecting this, just like I wasn't expecting what I saw in "Training Day". nothing like his "typical" role/character... Philadelphia, John Q, Pelican Brief, Remember the Titans et al. What I think is different with both Flight and Training Day is that where all his character have flaws in his films, those two movies stand out because he does not overcome them (no "Happy Ending").
post #59 of 60 Old 04-10-2013, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVTrauma View Post

Denzel surprised me (again) with this movie. I agree with you Ralph, I wasn't expecting this, just like I wasn't expecting what I saw in "Training Day". nothing like his "typical" role/character... Philadelphia, John Q, Pelican Brief, Remember the Titans et al. What I think is different with both Flight and Training Day is that where all his character have flaws in his films, those two movies stand out because he does not overcome them (no "Happy Ending").

Greetings,

True. Thanks for sharing your thoughts... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #60 of 60 Old 05-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I watched Flight a couple of times this past weekend and enjoyed it far more than I had anticipated. Denzel Washington and Kelly Reilly handled their respective roles with great precision. Glad to have this in my collection.

Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Flight Two Disc Combo Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page