post #1 of 1 Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
"Sleeper & Hannah and her sisters"

Release Date: January 15, 2013

Overview: Sleeper: When cryogenically preserved Miles Monroe (Allen) is awakened 200 years after a hospital mishap, he discovers the future's not so bright: all women are frigid, all men are impotent, and the world is ruled by an evil dictator...a disembodies nose! Pursued by the secret police and recruited by anti-government rebels with a plan to kidnap the dictator's snout before it can be cloned, Miles falls for the beautiful - but untalented - poet Luna (Diane Keaton). But when Miles is captured and reprogrammed by the government - to believe he's Miss America! - it's up to Luna to save Miles, lead the rebels, and cut off the nose...just to spite its face.

Hannah and her sisters: The eldest daughter of show-biz parents, Hannah (Mia Farrow) is a devoted wife, loving mother and successful actress. A loyal supporter of her two aimless sisters (Barbara Hershey) and Holly (Dianne Wiest), she's also the emotional backbone of a family that seems to resent her stability almost as much as they depend on it. But when Hannah's perfect world is quietly sabotaged by sibling rivalry, she finally begins to see that she's as lost as everyone else, and in order to find herself, she'll have to choose - between the independence her family can't live with... and the family she can't live without.

My Thoughts: Sleeper: During his heyday I wouldn’t say that I was always drawn to Woody Allen’s films but I think some of that was a maturity thing. As I got older I was able to appreciate the nuance he exuded both in his writing and direction. Sleeper was one of his films that I saw and liked back in the day. Much of its satire and homage based elements were lost on me however I got the over the top sight gags, witty banter and got a kick out of his physical humor. Watching it now years later I am able to glean more from it which made the experience all the better. Yes, it’s a little dated now but its odd fish out of water story still retains much of its satirical edge, funny bone tickling buffoonery and entertaining wit. Film rating : attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Hannah and her sisters: Hannah and her sisters came out in 1986 and is a fulfilling drama that I can recall catching during its theatrical release. I count it among Woody Allen's finest works and love the intertwined nature of the narrative as it revolves around but interestingly maintains a secondary aspect that rarely touches directly upon Hannah. I love the development of the storyline, the complexity of the interpersonal relationships among the characters as well as their innate fallibilities all of which play out against a full circle familial backdrop of jealousy, discontent, infidelity and tumultuous romance. I haven’t seen it in years but Hannah and her sisters hasn’t lost any of its luster and remains among my favorite Woody Allen works. Film rating: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Sleeper:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

This is a solid looking high def catalog release that presents this 30 plus year old film in a positive light. It boasts clean, well depicted primary colors and a good mix of secondary hues that mate well with the source material. Resolution is discerning with varying degrees of delineation. Sharpness is primarily stable with lucid clarity which enhances depth. Black and white levels are spot on which imparts a fair amount of pop to colors and brighter exterior sequences while keeping darker or low lit segments looking noticeably punchy with quiet blacks with visibly gradational detail in shadowy backgrounds. Grain is present and moderately textured. This is a pleasing video presentation that appears faithful to the film’s original elements. Video rating = 86

Hannah and her sisters:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

This high definition presentation delivered fair overall image quality that appeared faithful to the film’s original elements. Its high definition video offered an appreciable level of detail during close ups and certain wide angle camera shots. The exterior shots of New York City appeared vivid with naturally rendered colors and stable resolution. The majority of the time the visuals didn’t have a high level of image penetration. Sharpness was good but occasionally inconsistent as the image softened at times. The variety of period colors and earth toned hues were reproduced well but weren’t especially engaging. Blacks were punchy which increased depth perception in low lit sequences. Grain is preserved naturally and is noticeable throughout. Occasionally it takes on more prominence but I didn’t find it to be problematic. Video rating = 78

Both of these releases contain DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 lossless soundtracks. Each had sound quality that was essentially the same so my comments will be related to both. These monaural soundtracks won’t knock your socks off but I found delivered the components of the original recordings beautifully. The auditory is clean and free of unwanted clicks, pops or background hiss. Dialogue intelligibility is excellent as it is never lost amidst the other sounds coming through the central channel. There are a few occasions where the low end support adds punch but otherwise things remain in the limited dynamic spectrum provided by the recording. The end result is a satisfying and appropriate audio presentation that compliments the source quite nicely. Audio rating = 78

Bonus Features:

• Theatrical Trailer

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Sleeper Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Sleeper by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page