Studio and Year: Disney - 1953
MPAA Rating: G
Feature running time: 77 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Bobby Driscoll, Hans Conried, Kathryn Beaumont
Directed by: Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, Clyde Geranimi
Music by: Oliver Wallace
Written by: J.M Barrie
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 5, 2013

"It will live in your heart forever"

Film Synopsis:

The classic tale that taught us all “to believe” and first introduced us to the Darling children – Wendy, John and Michael - as they flew with Peter Pan and Tinker Bell past the second star to the right and straight on ‘till morning to the enchanted world of Never Land. Rediscover the magical adventure and relive childhood memories of this great bedtime story.

My Take:

Let your dreams take flight with this classic Walt Disney' family film. Peter Pan is bursting with fantasy, adventure, memorable characters, music and pixie dust Wendy and her brothers are whisked to the magical world of Neverland by the hero of their stories, Peter Pan. After following Peter and his feisty sidekick Tinker Bell past the "second star to the right and straight on till morning," they explore the island and Peter's secret hideout with the rambunctious Lost Boys, and leap into high-flying battles with swashbuckling pirates and the infamous Captain Hook!

Based on J.M. Barrie’s original play “Peter Pan” is a timeless classic from Disney’s Golden Age of animation. Having seen numerous incarnations both on the stage and screen it is easily identifiable and wonderfully spirited and entertaining in the hands of Walt Disney and his famous “Nine Old Men” as Directing Animators. I love this story. Peter Pan was one of my earliest movie going experiences (early 1970’s) and I will never forget it. When I was young there was no home video and in order to see films like this you went to the theater. We reveled in its sense of adventure, imagination and swashbuckling action that today holds up quite well. I will say that if Peter Pan was being made today there are elements in this version that would be different (speaking from a politically correct perspective) but having them intact reflects the time period when the film was made and the spirit of its intentions shouldn’t be seen as derogatory.

Peter Pan like many of Disney’s classic animated features has easily stood the test of time and continues to touch generations of viewers. Disney is a class act with an impeccable track record for wonderful family oriented films. This Diamond Edition home video release is another example of their fervent commitment to the Blu-ray format as their high definition presentations have consistently yielded technically impressive results along with fan friendly supplemental material. Their willingness to digitally restore their films while carefully preserving the original source elements allows fans and newcomers alike to experience them looking and sounding better than ever. I am pleased that this animated classic has finally arrived in high definition.

Parental Guide:

This film is appropriate for all ages.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Peter Pan comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This film has undergone a digital restorative process and the results may very well depend on your point of view. Colors shine brilliantly with pleasing saturation and striking blues that look beautiful. The original film elements don’t have the highly polished gloss of today’s digitally created animated films which is to be expected. The first thing that came to mind is the noticeably pervasive lack of grain/texture in the image. In looking at it I wouldn’t describe it as soft/lacking detail as that appears to have been preserved with little to no visible interference. This should not be construed as a DNR hatchet job by any means. The 1.33:1 framed video has excellent visual depth with deep, rich, color fidelity and discerning resolution that enhances dimension. The ability to fully appreciate the attention to detail that went into design of each of the animated characters remains intact. Contrast and brightness is stable and strikes a wonderful balance that highlights the multi-layered grays and delineated chromatic elements within the video. Whites sparkle and appear crisp, bright and punchy and blacks are deep with excellent dynamic range. From my perspective I find the quality of the presentation to be high. On the flip side of the equation I can see where the digitally restored image’s lessening/removal of what was once part of the original film elements will be problematic for purists. My advice would be to see it before making any snap judgments.

Disney provides a new DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 channel surround mix and the original Dolby Digital 1.0 soundtrack. I utilized the surround mix which is a well balanced presentation that features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, and music that maintains a frontal perspective with wonderfully integrated rear channel atmospherics that seem to naturally broaden the soundstage. The film’s score/music sounds marvelous as the musical numbers take center stage and create an enriching surround experience. This isn’t a dynamically enhanced mix but it appropriately supports of the soundtrack’s elements. The audio is crystal clear, free of the edginess and never shows its age which says something for the care that went into the encoding.

Bonus Features:

• Optional film introduction by Diane Disney Miller

• Disney view

• Disney intermission

• Sing-a-long with the movie (with lyrics) feature

• (HD) Growing up with nine old men – 41 minute documentary hosted by Ted Thomas

• (HD) Deleted scenes/songs – The journey home & alternate arrival/”Never smile at a crocodile” & “The boatswain song”

• Classic DVD features:

• Disney song selection feature

• Audio commentary with Roy Disney

• Deleted song – “The pirate song”

• “Neverland” the last song

• Music video “Neverland” by Paige O’Hara

• Music video “ The second star to the right” by T-Squad

• You can fly: The making of Peter Pan – 15 minute featurette

• In Walt’s words: Why I made Peter Pan – 7 minutes

• Tinker Bell: A fairy’s tale – 8 minute featurette

• The Peter Pan that almost wasn’t – 21 minute documentary

• The Peter Pan story – 12 minutes

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

• Storybook App – compatible with your Apple products

Final Thoughts:

Peter Pan is among the beloved of the Disney Classic animated feature films. Seeing it again after many years brought back fond childhood memories. It makes it debut on Blu-ray from Disney featuring digitally restored high definition video that may raise the eyebrows of purists but otherwise looks terrific. The package also includes complimentary lossless surround sound and a fan friendly set of bonus materials that offers exclusive Blu-ray and interactive features that enhance the high definition experience while taking a peek behind the curtain to learn some interesting background on the film. This excellent Blu-ray release will make for a welcomed addition to your Disney Collection and comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Wow, I've been out of the loop, had no idea this was coming so soon. Great review Ralph, could not agree more and look forward to passing this to my young ones.

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

post #3 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Kenobi View Post

Wow, I've been out of the loop, had no idea this was coming so soon. Great review Ralph, could not agree more and look forward to passing this to my young ones.

Oh come on General Kenobi...by the time your kids are grown, we'll have Superdidooper Ultra High Gold Classic Hi-Res Blu-Ray.......

....Version 2.

They won't want your old person's Blu-Ray.

biggrin.gif
joe531 likes this.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

post #4 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 142
berry berry gud... I will pick this up for sure

Klipsch Image Ones
Klipsch x11i
Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre/SUT
Pioneer SC35
Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio
Klisch RC64II
Klipsch SW-115
OPPO BDP-93
Samsung PN64D8000
post #5 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
"Storybook App for Apple".

Sorry to see that Disney isn't making this available to Android users too!!

Otherwise, Day 1!!
post #6 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
I will hold out for the Jadeite Edition.

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #7 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 291 Post(s)
Liked: 411
I never understand if the BD spec can easily run the bitrate at CBR 36 mbps why studios feel the need to lower bitrates, in this case 28 mbps.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

post #8 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Liked: 14
So 1.33 AR is actually 4:3, correct? Does that mean this feature will display the black bars on the sides of my ST50? Why couldn't they release the BD in 1.78?
post #9 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Because the original aspect ratio is 4:3 rolleyes.gif

post #10 of 15 Old 01-29-2013, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

+1

Great review Ralph. I'm watching it tonight biggrin.gif

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #11 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post

Does anyone know if this release has the "DisneyView" feature where they add artwork to the sides of the movie to fill it out to 16:9 like Snow White and Pinocchio did?

Tim Vickroy

"Besides, there's no reason we can't be civil, is there?"
post #12 of 15 Old 01-30-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I can only assume so. However I find the borders to be distracting. I always turn them off even while watching them on both my Kuro plasmas.

post #13 of 15 Old 01-31-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimV View Post

Does anyone know if this release has the "DisneyView" feature where they add artwork to the sides of the movie to fill it out to 16:9 like Snow White and Pinocchio did?

Greetings,

It does have Disneyview (I list it in the Bonus Features portion above). smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #14 of 15 Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Day 1 puchase for the kids...ok, and me, too. I haven't upgraded the last couple of Disney releases but this one is a definite classic!
post #15 of 15 Old 02-05-2013, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

Oh come on General Kenobi...by the time your kids are grown, we'll have Superdidooper Ultra High Gold Classic Hi-Res Blu-Ray.......

....Version 2.

They won't want your old person's Blu-Ray.

biggrin.gif
Red Ray will be like VHS, so maybe bluray will be the equivlent of cool old school, analog, vinyl, etc. wink.gif

Kenobi's 31 Days of Horror:

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Peter Pan Three Disc Diamond Edition Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page