Feature running time: 95 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Adelaide Clemens, Kit Harington, Deborah Kara Under, Sean Bean, Carrie-Anne Moss, Malcolm MacDowell
Written & Directed by: Michael J. Bassett
Music by: Jeff Danna
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 12, 2012

"Return to a place of insanity….."

Film Synopsis:

Heather Mason (Clemens) and her father (Bean) have been on the run, always one step ahead of dangerous forces that she doesn't fully understand. On the eve of her 18th birthday, plagued by horrific nightmares and the disappearance of her father, Heather discovers she's not who she thinks she is. The revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her forever.

My Take:

Return to a place of insanity and blood-curdling chills in this shocking sequel to one of the most surreal and gruesome horror films ever created. Heather Mason (Adelaide Clemens) and her father (Sean Bean) have always tried to stay one step ahead of the malevolent forces intent on their destruction. But on the eve of her 18th birthday, a dangerous revelation leads her deeper into a demonic world that threatens to trap her in a nightmarish landscape forever.

Based on the popular video game series, Silent Hill: Revelation, is written and directed by Michael J. Bassett and is the follow-up to 2006’s film “Silent Hill” also based on the video game. Intended to be a mind bending psychological trip to the horrors that await those brave enough to enter Silent Hill, Silent Hill: Revelation is somewhat anemic in the effectiveness of its ability to elicit hair raising chills. Picking up after the events in the original film the paper thin plot revolves around Sharon (now a teen) and her father spending life on the run attempting to stay one step ahead of the “Order” who wants nothing more than to lure Sharon back to the nightmarish Silent Hill in order to fulfill her destiny. Of course one thing leads to another and she finds herself back in familiar surroundings facing the darkness, all that entails, as well as her dark alter self, the demonic Alessa.

Unlike the original film, which combined a fairly cohesive story and decent character design with the bizarre, alternate horror of Silent Hill, Revelation takes us on an uninspired return via a rehashed concept, bland characters and indistinct direction. I will say that as with the first I find the atmosphere/visuals effectively underscore the film’s thematic context. The young actors playing the leads didn’t have much depth which wasn’t helped by the fact that they had zero chemistry onscreen. I couldn’t help but wonder aloud as I saw Carrie-Anne Moss and Malcolm MacDowell portray the frivolously drawn characters of Claudia and Leonard Wolf.

At the end of the day Silent Hill: Revelation is pretty forgettable and fails to live up to its predecessor.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence and disturbing images, some language and brief nudity.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Silent Hill: Revelation 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

Silent Hill: Revelation was natively shot in 3D and positively translates to Blu-ray in its original aspect of 2.40:1. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity with objects and people within the frame appearing noticeably delineated and sharp. Depth of field is excellent as there is a natural sense dimension with regard to foreground/background spacing and movement. The cinematography utilizes near field camera perspectives that enhance proportional correlation. There are a plethora of sequences, usually associated with the elements of action/horror that provide a gimmicky/fun reach out and touch sense of dimension as things protrude, float or splatter beyond the screen. A film like this has the potential to make definitive use of the 3D platform and I enjoyed its implementation here as it made the experience a bit more enjoyable. Contrast is boldly applied and where appropriate colors are deeply saturated and vividly reproduced. Blacks are stable and rich with darker sequences exhibiting excellent dynamic range. I didn’t notice any overt signs of ghosting/crosstalk. Compared to the 2D presentation I found this to be the more visually engaging of the two as the combination of color reproduction, contrast, and black levels/shadow detail shone brilliantly. Adding excellent three dimensional depth to the equation makes for a gratifying high definition experience that fans of the format will appreciate.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack for Silent House: Revelation is an active one that makes perpetual use of the entire system platform. Dialogue has definitive presence with refined vocal character and excellent room penetration. Dynamic range is excellent which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. This is an aggressive surround mix that employ’s the subwoofer and rear channels in order to better draw you into the story’s components. This creates an opulent sound field that replicates the film’s various interior/exterior environments while integrating with on the onscreen elements. Low frequency effects have substantial weight and presence that occasionally fill the room with deep, punctuated bass that rumbles with authority. There were times where I found the surround mix to be a bit to busy almost distractingly so but I will admit that I found it to be pretty entertaining.

2D Video Quality:

See my Review of the 2D version: Silent Hill Revelation Review

Bonus Features:

• 3D ( HD) A look inside Silent Hill: Revelation – 3 minute featurette

• 3D (HD) Theatrical trailer

• My Scenes bookmark feature

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the popular video game series Silent Hill: Revelation 3D is the follow-up to 2006’s Silent Hill, and is an uninspired sequel that suffers from a pallid script, ineffectual scares and poorly focused direction. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment sporting a strong technical package that includes a terrific high definition 3D presentation, reference quality lossless surround sound and an abysmal supplemental offering that consists of a single promotional featurette that won’t even wet the appetite of those that enjoyed the movie. If you’re already a fan or are curious I suppose this is worth considering (beginning with a rental) especially in light of its excellent audio/video quality. Otherwise I would say that it’s a pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2013, 08:58 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
You must have read my mind Ralph! I was just reading about the 3d on this disc over on the bluray.com thread and then came over to AVS with the purpose of seeing if you had reviewed this and to get your take and there it was on the front page. Nice! biggrin.gif Thanks for the review and I am looking forward to checking this disc out mainly from a technical perspective. Bummer that the movie was not any better as I really enjoyed the first one, but still curious to check it out at some point if I can find the 3d for rent or find it on sale.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2013, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

You must have read my mind Ralph! I was just reading about the 3d on this disc over on the bluray.com thread and then came over to AVS with the purpose of seeing if you had reviewed this and to get your take and there it was on the front page. Nice! biggrin.gif Thanks for the review and I am looking forward to checking this disc out mainly from a technical perspective. Bummer that the movie was not any better as I really enjoyed the first one, but still curious to check it out at some point if I can find the 3d for rent or find it on sale.

Greetings,

You know what they say about great minds Todd..wink.gif

Be sure to post back once you have seen it.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks for another well descriptive review. I got no options but to watch this as my friends are desperate for a 3D movie evening. Having read your review seems like regardless of the plot we will be enjoying an exciting evening thanks to the good use of surround audio and 3D. eek.gif
post #5 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Its times like this that I wish my local video store that I like to support would rent 3D Blurays. They have a few but hardly ever have new releases. Would love to see this just for the surround mix.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2013, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Its times like this that I wish my local video store that I like to support would rent 3D Blurays. They have a few but hardly ever have new releases. Would love to see this just for the surround mix.

You'll be able to rent it here:

http://stores.3d-blurayrental.com/Categories.bok

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Silent Hill Revelation Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page