Schindler's List: 20th Anniversary Limited Edition (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-16-2013, 02:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Will finally get a chance to watch this, never seen before so Im very interested to see how good it is.

I watched my Schindler's List BD this week and was as blown away as I expected to be. I was just as moved by the documentary, Voices From the List. It's on Disc 2 of the DVDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2013, 06:35 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

I watched my Schindler's List BD this week and was as blown away as I expected to be. I was just as moved by the documentary, Voices From the List. It's on Disc 2 of the DVDs.

I watched it last night for the first time, what a movie. Spielberg did an amazing job with this film, really makes you feel for the Polish-Jewish people. I thought the Pianist was good but I know now why this is better. Liam, Ralph and Ben did an outstanding job.

Frank
Old 03-16-2013, 08:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

I watched it last night for the first time, what a movie. Spielberg did an amazing job with this film, really makes you feel for the Polish-Jewish people. I thought the Pianist was good but I know now why this is better. Liam, Ralph and Ben did an outstanding job.

Spielberg certainly didn't pull any punches. The virulent racism of the little Polish children jeering at the Jews who were on a train on their way to Auschwitz made my blood run cold. But then there was a lot in Schindler's List that makes my blood run cold.

That scene reminded me of the lyrics from Rogers & Hammerstein's Carefully Taught, From South Pacific. LT Cable, who has fallen in love with a native girl in the south Pacific, sings:

You've got to be taught
To hate and fear,
You've got to be taught
From year to year,
It's got to be drummed
In your dear little ear
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught to be afraid
Of people whose eyes are oddly made,
And people whose skin is a diff'rent shade,
You've got to be carefully taught.

You've got to be taught before it's too late,
Before you are six or seven or eight,
To hate all the people your relatives hate,
You've got to be carefully taught!

Oscar Hammerstein, who wrote those lyrics, was a Jew.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:43 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 299
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post

Spielberg certainly didn't pull any punches. The virulent racism of the little Polish children jeering at the Jews who were on a train on their way to Auschwitz made my blood run cold. But then there was a lot in Schindler's List that makes my blood run cold.

I agree, especially when the Schindlers ladies where taken to the gas chamber and that little boy gestures a slit throat motion, that made my blood run cold as well as seeing all the bodies getting burnt. frown.gif

Frank
Old 03-18-2013, 05:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 34
It's been many years since I've seen schindlers list. I was still in my early teens (I'm only in my mid 20's now).

This is a movie that back when I was much younger opened my eyes but I did not fully comprehend. I decided to watch it over the weekend, I honestly thought there were goign to be parts I did not remember, but I could recall every scene and everything that was happening in the movie, and to some that may lessen their interest, but I still find myself hooked watching.

The part of this movie that really gets to me is the ending.. After watching it through and seeing was Schindler has gone through, a man who saw an opportunity to make money, but quickly became sympathetic and started to want to help these people. Watching Neeson break down at the end, and then the video of the survivors and his grave, I most deffinately have trouble holding back a few tears, its extremely powerful and overwhelming to see the people that this actually happened to so many years later with the look on their faces as the place rocks down on his headstone.
Djoel likes this.

EMP E55ti | EMP E56ci | Polk T15's for surround duty | Ultimax 15" Sub | Integra 40.2 | Rotel 976 | Panasonic 60ST60
Old 03-24-2013, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
saw it a couple days ago - stil a fabulous movie after all these years.

even though its in black and white, it looks beautiful.

Its funny because the first half of the movie does look like a classic balck and white movie from the 1930'-40's and then the second half looks like a black and white documentary from the same period. I have seen several movies that were made in the last 20 years or so and even though they are in black and white - it stil doesnt look like a b/w movie from that time period. The Artist pulled this off. But others, like Ed Wood (which i like overall) dont seem like it.

Schindler's List was different. Its too bad Spielberg did not do commentary because I am curious as to how he accomplished the look of the movie - among many other things I would like to learn about the production.

There is actually less violence than what I remembered. For example, when Goethe is going on his non-chalant but utterly psychotic 'target' practice, 2 people were killed. I could have sworn it was at least 5 or 6. I guess its one of those things where when you picture a movie, you are actually visualizing your memories of the movie. OTOH, The scene where he beats Helen Hirsch certainley unnerves me alot more now than it did when I was 18.

anyway, hats-off to universal for a great release. would have liked a commentary or an interview with spielberg included - so much to talk about! - but maybe someday.

TV: LG 47LH90
PLAYER: Panasonic DMP BD330
AVR: Denon 1612
Front R/L: Polk Audio Monitor 40 Series II
Center: Polk Audio CS1
Surround R/L: Yamaha NS-5290
Sub: Polk Audio PSW10
Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Thanks for the fine review, Ralph... most definitely looking forward to seeing this one again and will buy as soon as price drops a bit! cool.gif

oz

Tags
Schindlers List 20th Anniversary Limited Edition Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Blu Ray Movies