Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 85
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109942&d=1210373647

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Universal Studios - 2012
MPAA Rating: Unrated
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Sci-Fi/Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD MA 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Luke Pasqualino, Ben Cotton, Jill Teed, Lili Bordán, John Pyper-Ferguson
Directed by:Jonas Pate
Written by: David Eick, Michael Taylor
Music by: Bear McCreary
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: February 19, 2012

"Time To Frack From the Start, Again."

Film Synopsis:

The adventures of young William Adama in the First Cylon War.

My Take:

BSG: Blood and Chrome is another look at a young Bill Adama, like the web shorts and the flashbacks in the "Razor" movie from a few years back. It is also not the only BSG spin-off, this coming after the criminally under-appreciated "Caprica" left fans hanging when it was canceled. I had high hopes when hearing about this series, and even after a few negative reviews, was still jazzed to see new BSG as I am a huge fan of the reboot series and miss it dearly.

BSG: Blood and Chrome is a pilot for what was going to become a series on Syfy, however, this is all that is to be had of this once hopeful series as it was dead before it really began. It was released as webisodes in 2012, then on This Blu-ray, leaving us fans hanging once more. Cutting to the chase this was a letdown plot-wise, with some questionable dialogue and acting. The young Adama here is much less wise than the older Edward James Olmos version, as we meet him as a hot shot cadet as he first boards the Galactica. The last 20 mins or so picked up by finally throwing in some plot and ended with a nice surprise that left me wanting more. As a stand alone piece it is big and looks great but is missing the heart and soul we got from the reboot series and Caprica, but I did see hope. I believe David Eick and Michael Taylor went a bit too far into an action only mind-set here because the more methodically paced Caprica failed. I think it was prematurely put out of its misery, and did feel there was more to be explored in future episodes of the Cylon war. Too bad, really, as I WANT MORE BSG!!!

Parental Guide:

Violence and Adult themes.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Video: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

BSG: Blood and Chrome comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24.4 Mbps and DTS-MA HD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps

If it looks like BSG and sounds like BSG then it must be BSG, right?? Well they did capture the look and sound of the series, albeit not completely finished in post as they must have known the series future was a bust. Black levels are strong, and there are no issues with shadow details, which is a must considering all the raptors and vipers going at it out in space. Colors go from cold and lifeless to thickly saturated, and there is a veil of noise overcast on this HD image. Some CGI elements seem unfinished, but all in all this is a pleasing HD presentation. The audio is bold, with strong dialogue, a nice liberal use of the rear sound-stage and some seriously arse kicking LFE. This is a great track that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Visual Effects

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• DVD Copy

• Digital Copies (UV and Itunes)

Final Thoughts:

BSG: Blood and Chrome is another fracking tease at more life from the BSG universe. Too bad this is all we get of this story-line as it feels like an incomplete thought. This BD is worth it for fans, considering it has a DVD as well as a digital copy, however, a short amount of special features is a disappointment. I wish Eick and Taylor did a feature on what the story was to possibly become...

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS45 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Thanks Lee, my copy came in today and I hope to get to this over the weekend. I watched the Webesodes and the Syfy version so I know what to expect, but I still want more Battlestar...
post #3 of 20 Old 02-20-2013, 02:17 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Greetings,

Thanks Lee... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 20 Old 02-20-2013, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I owned two of the battlestar movies - Razor, The Plan. Non of them had the Battlestar series quality but at least they took place in the same time period...
post #5 of 20 Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 255
Caprica was a big let down. The Matrix 90210. The Cylon backstory was not handled well. The religious aspect was waaaaay over-the-top. Good sci-fi usually doesn't bring heavy spirituality into the equation. It's more social commentary.

Didn't like Razor all that much. Won't be getting this one. Too bad.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #6 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 05:37 AM

Liked: 147
I loved it, I am hopeful they will go ahead and create the series if the movie sells well.
post #7 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman 
Caprica was a big let down. The Matrix 90210. The Cylon backstory was not handled well. The religious aspect was waaaaay over-the-top. Good sci-fi usually doesn't bring heavy spirituality into the equation. It's more social commentary.

actually The Battlestar Gallactica series was ''good sci-fi'' that also ''brought heavy spirituality into the equation''.

Ron Moore on religion and Battlestar Galactica
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9op6PC03LRA&feature=related
post #8 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Program was running in the Background with only the Audio as I was calibrating the TV it was running on. Was going to purchase, but once the plot was given, lost interest in purchasing. Maybe once it's on $5 clearout for the Blu-ray, may pick it up to put into my BSG collection.
post #9 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Thanks for the wonderful review. I will order this installment of BSG. I am still fuming about how they left me hanging at the end of Caprica. Perhaps the producers of this great saga are missing a critical point. And it is this. BSG fans are as emotionally commited to this story as Star Trekkies were to Roddenbury's vision. In fact, many may be the same people. Maybe they should just forget the Sci-Fi series route and go whole hog into full length movies. My suggestion for the first one would be to completely wrap up the Caprica story with perhaps a leap to the end of the BSG series at the end. That would allow them to go into a myriad of directions with future movies. Especially since both Caprica and BSG thinly suggested that all of the saga was taking place in a virtual world. To me...that should be the cliffhanger theme of a Movie series. I...like you, want more. But not in the cheesy start and stop TV variety.
post #10 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thanks Lee.

I guess I'll try a rent first.

Nice Stuff!
post #11 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 09:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 63
I'll be a renter also.
Seems there might be some potential demo material contained within?

Cuzed2
Check out a video of my theater here
CuznEddy Cinema
Officially Hanesamatized on 8/1/09

post #12 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 01:57 PM

Liked: 22
I watched the webisodes as the were released.

Blood and Chrome has a "school project" feel to it. I'd give them a C-.

Its pretty weak, in my opinion. I'd rather watch my BSG boxed set over and over again. That was as good as TV gets. Sci-Fi or otherwise.

BDP103>SR7007>55"ES8000
post #13 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Just watched Battlestar Galatical Blood and Chrome, well I have to say I liked it BUT if I had to spend money on it, I would have been a little disappointed.

post #14 of 20 Old 02-21-2013, 10:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie1210 View Post

I watched the webisodes as the were released.

Blood and Chrome has a "school project" feel to it. I'd give them a C-.

Its pretty weak, in my opinion. I'd rather watch my BSG boxed set over and over again. That was as good as TV gets. Sci-Fi or otherwise.

Yeah, what the heck happened with TV ?

I watch Walking Dead and Game of Thrones, but other than that,I mostly don't watch TV. I remember when I was watching episodes of BSG, and then seeing episodes of FireFly, and also seeing episodes of Sarah Connor Terminator Chronicles. Also watching episodes of Lost. That was a glorious time in TV. FireFly is probably my favorite series, but BSG is a close 2nd. Sarah Connor Terminator Chronicles is actually highly underrated. Lost started off good.. heh..

Walking Dead is overrated imo, although it's still one of the best things currently on. Game of Thrones is fantastic, but I have to admit that I haven't seen the second season yet (will start when season 3 of Dead is over).

Do you have any suggestions for anything that would be up my alley, considering the shows that I listed above ? I tried watching some episodes of Doll house, but couldn't really get into it. I also saw some episodes of one of the Stargates. Didn't think it was very good. I have seen a couple of episodes of Once Upon a Time. That actually wasn't too bad, but I only saw the first two episodes, not sure if the rest is any good.
post #15 of 20 Old 02-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

It has been awhile since I saw BSG when it originally aired but it certainly was full of references to religion for both the people and the cylons so any references made in show that were prequels at al, should also parallel some references.

Just an opinion
post #16 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 03:12 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Caprica was a big let down. The Matrix 90210. The Cylon backstory was not handled well. The religious aspect was waaaaay over-the-top. Good sci-fi usually doesn't bring heavy spirituality into the equation. It's more social commentary. .

I completely agree with the first part. After watching BSG on netflix I tried to watch Caprica and no matter how much I tried, I could not get into it. I think I watched most of/all the first season and just could not *Like* it. Too much teeny drama and not enough...Battle Star.

The religious thing was heavily built into BSG and I was use to it. BSG just went about it as a way to advance the Cylon characters. I didnt really notice it in Caprica.

BSG B&C I thought was pretty good. It told the back story of Adama and I appreciate that. If they were to continue the story with a series I believe it would be a pretty good one.
post #17 of 20 Old 02-25-2013, 06:38 PM

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianbat420 View Post

BSG B&C I thought was pretty good. It told the back story of Adama and I appreciate that. If they were to continue the story with a series I believe it would be a pretty good one.
I did too and agree that it might make a good series if done right. Seeing Adama in his early years as a cocky fighter jock and his climb up the ladder to somewhere near where BSG starts would be great.

I'll probably wind up buying Blood & Chrome if only for the small amount of Adama's history in it.

post #18 of 20 Old 02-26-2013, 05:49 AM

Liked: 10
Is it any different than the youtube series? any additional content i mean?
post #19 of 20 Old 03-01-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Chaves View Post

Just watched Battlestar Galatical Blood and Chrome, well I have to say I liked it BUT if I had to spend money on it, I would have been a little disappointed.

You know what bothered the hell out of me? all the fracking lens flare! It seems like they used lens flare in place of sets and details in a lot of cases. It showed up in so many bizarre places and so very over the top that made me honestly think they were playing a joke on the viewers!

It makes JJ Abrams' use of it in Star Trek 2009 look reserved by comparison!

post #20 of 20 Old 03-02-2013, 09:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 156
All say we all...ALLL SAYYY WE AAALLLLLL..

I'm really disappointed mostly at Sci Fi channel or Si fi, or how ever they spell they're channel's name, well like most Channel's these days they're too quick to drop they're show with out fine tuning them. That do they except fans to do when we don't know if they're committed or not. So every one is antsy about investing any precious time.
Get some good writers, and producer behind these shows, and it will pay dividends.

Will give this one a rent for sure, as I too miss BSG in the biggest way, such a large universe, I'm sure something fresh, and fun can come out it.

DJoel
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Battlestar Galactica Blood Chrome Unrated Edition Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultra , Blu Ray Movies

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page