Wreck-it Ralph 3D (Blu-ray) Ultimate Collector's Edition Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373647

Audio/3D Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Disney - 2012
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Family

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: MVC/AVC
Video Aspect: 2.39:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: John C. Reilly, Jane Lynch, Sarah Silverman, Jack McBrayer, Alan Tudyk, Ed O’Neill, Dennis Haysbert
Directed by: Rich Moore
Music by: Henry Jackman
Written by: Rich Moore, Phil Johnston, Jim Reardon, Jennifer Lee
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 5, 2013

"When the game is over, the fun begins"

Film Synopsis:

For decades, Ralph has played the bad guy in his popular video game. In a bold move, he embarks on an action-packed adventure and sets out to prove to everyone that he is a true hero with a big heart. As he explores exciting new worlds, he teams up with some unlikely new friends including feisty misfit Vanellope von Schweetz. Then, when an evil army threatens their world, Ralph realizes he holds the fate of the entire arcade in his massive hands.

My Take:

Wreck-It Ralph longs to be as beloved as his game's perfect Good Guy, Fix-It Felix. Problem is, nobody loves a Bad Guy. But they do love heroes... so when a modern, first-person shooter game arrives featuring tough-as-nails Sergeant Calhoun, Ralph sees it as his ticket to heroism and happiness. He sneaks into the game with a simple plan -- win a medal -- but soon wrecks everything, and accidentally unleashes a deadly enemy that threatens every game in the arcade. Ralph's only hope? Vanellope von Schweetz, a young troublemaking "glitch" from a candy-coated cart racing game who might just be the one to teach Ralph what it means to be a Good Guy. But will he realize he is good enough to become a hero before it's "Game Over" for the entire arcade?

I don’t know how Disney does it. They continually push the envelope with refreshing takes on family themed animation that both parents and kids can enjoy. I watched Wreck-it Ralph with my wife and kids, who are both in college, and we all loved it. The idea of building the story around a lovable sad sack that lives in a retro video game world was conceptually, thematically and nostalgically entertaining and had us laughing out loud while quietly tugging at our heart strings. The plethora of references to the arcade games of yesteryear elevated the experience as we reveled in its integration with the characters and storyline. The script is clever, a little frantic and purposefully grandiose which I found worked extremely well. Once again the right actors chosen for the characters impart an endearing quality that solidifies them with the context of the narrative’s framework.

Wreck-it Ralph is simply lots of fun and makes for terrific family entertainment that has a little something for everyone.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some rude humor and mild action/violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 98

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 96

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Wreck-it Ralph 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p MVC encoded 3D video and DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.7 Mbps.

Knowing Disney I had high hopes for this 3D presentation and of course I wasn’t disappointed. I must admit that being bombarded with gimmicky in your face effects is something that I find quickly wears off the novelty of 3D. That isn’t to suggest that I don’t occasionally enjoy the feeling of flinching when objects are hurled from the screen. I guess it depends on the subject matter but predominantly I prefer to view 3D that takes advantage of the depth and dimension that can bring images onscreen to life in a visually involving and natural way. Wreck-it Ralph manages a nice balance of both. This is a stellar 3D presentation that features superlative onscreen dimensional correlation. Textures abound as the richness of the digitally created objects onscreen are incredibly nuanced and lifelike regardless of their placement within the frame. Detail is impeccable as the video retains a high level of clarity that is enhanced by the bolstered reproduction of color. There are many noteworthy sequences throughout the presentation beginning with the opening shot of the park like quad where Ralph’s building resides. There are four distinct worlds that the film inhabits and each offers eye catching imagery, superb depth of field and where appropriate dazzling screen popping fun. This isn’t a 3D effects laden spectacle however there are enough floating, flying and eye blinking moments to keep 3D zealots interested. I had a great time…

The lossless 7.1 DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio soundtrack is an engaging one that utilizes the entire system to create a theater like experience. Sound staging is excellent as both the front and rear channels are seamlessly integrated so that sound effects seem to traverse the room. Surround activity is frequent and immersive as both directional and spatial information mixed to the rear channels weaves an enveloping pattern of sound. Dynamics are energetic and forceful which lends weight to the plethora of impact felt moments featured in the soundtrack. This is a fairly aggressive mix that makes regular use of the subwoofer to accentuate its extended dynamic range. Low frequency detail is authoritative, tight and on occasion prodigious as it frequently engages the room with tactile low level bass that is sure to get your attention. Dialogue is rendered with aplomb and sonic details are refined and clearly articulated regardless of their position within the sound field. This is a sophisticated surround mix that made for a fun, involving and demonstration level home theater experience.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Wreck-it Ralph comes to Blu-ray Disc from Disney featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on as blacks are inky with deep highlights, whites and grays exhibit multi-layered depth and refined detail that give them excellent dimension. Absolutely gorgeous!

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Wreck-it Ralph 3D Blu-ray

• (HD) 3D “Paperman” – 6 minute theatrical short

• Disc 2:

• Wreck-it Ralph 2D Blu-ray

• (HD) “Paperman” – 6 minute theatrical short

• (HD) Bit by bit: Creating the world of Wreck-it Ralph – 16 minute featurette

• (HD) 4 alternate/deleted scenes with optional director commentary

• (HD) Video game commercials (4 segments) – “Fix it Felix Jr.:, “Sugarrush”, “Hero’s duty”, and “Fix it Felix hammer”

• Exclusive: Disney intermission – The gamer’s guide to Wreck-it Ralph (viewed when the film is paused) hosted by Chris Hardwick

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy Bonus Disc

Final Thoughts:

Wreck-it Ralph is charming, heartwarming and refreshing Disney animation that makes for pitch perfect family entertainment. This four disc Ultimate Collector’s Blu-ray package from Disney includes the feature film in high definition in both 3D and 2D flavors with each offering a superlative viewing experience coupled with reference quality 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound. The supplemental features are sparse but worthwhile and include insights from the filmmakers, a wonderful animated short film and both a standard definition DVD of the film and Digital copy. Wreck-it Ralph was a hit in my house and comes highly recommended on Blu-ray.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5508 THX Ultra 2 Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
RonAlam likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 192
I preordered the 2D version and this movie looks like it will be fun to watch with the family!

Nice review! Oh and I thought this was a PG movie? I hope it is because this might be too old for my kids.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #3 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornSlippyZ View Post

I preordered the 2D version and this movie looks like it will be fun to watch with the family!

Nice review! Oh and I thought this was a PG movie? I hope it is because this might be too old for my kids.

Greetings,

It is definitely PG. I made the correction. Thanks for catching that! smile.gif

Regards,
BornSlippyZ likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

It is definitely PG. I made the correction. Thanks for catching that! smile.gif

Regards,

No problem, you had me worried there!smile.gif

October HorrorFest Participant
post #5 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Damn 98 audio and 100 on the Video! Which scenes did you think have great lfe?

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #6 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Damn 98 audio and 100 on the Video! Which scenes did you think have great lfe?

Greetings,

Absolutely. It isn't subterrenean every time it hits but it rumbles quite nicely.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Sounds like a good blind buy. Thanks Ralph!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #8 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Seen it at the cinemas and loved it. Will definitely purchase.

Frank

post #9 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 04:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I've had this pre-ordered since Christmas day. I can't wait to watch it in 3D with the family!

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #10 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 04:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I loved it too, what a great memory lane type movie with all those classics and the Bad Guy support group is just EPIC!!! ^_^

post #11 of 61 Old 02-24-2013, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks for the Ralph on Ralph review! Don't know if I will buy it but it will certainly make a very nice choice for "Movie Night" with my young daughters. Every Friday night we drop the big screen, snuggle in with popcorn and watch a movie. That is why home theater is worth the $.
post #12 of 61 Old 02-25-2013, 01:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Absolutely. It isn't subterrenean every time it hits but it rumbles quite nicely.. smile.gif

Regards,

Good to read Ralph. Compared to how it sounds in the cinema( especially the one I went too ) I'm looking forward in watching it at home.

Frank

post #13 of 61 Old 02-25-2013, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Definitely getting this! Did not see this at the movies, but my 17-yr-old-now-18 did and loved it! cool.gif

Thanks for your ample recommendation, Ralph!
post #14 of 61 Old 02-25-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Thanks for the review Ralph. Have this one on pre-order at Amazon...it's for the kids...that is my story and I am sticking to it smile.gif
post #15 of 61 Old 02-25-2013, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 273
I may just blind buy this one! Wreck-It-Ralph sounds better than Brave by quite a bit. Brave, to me, was one of the weakest PIXAR's (next to Cars 2) ever produced. The story was very thin, timid, safe, and pulled all its punches. PIXAR used to deftly mix a pretty creative story with sly and subtle adult humor that everyone could enjoy. No way was it best animated film of 2012.

Seems like PIXAR and Disney Animation are switching places. We'll see what Monsters Inc. 2 brings.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #16 of 61 Old 02-25-2013, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
just a heads up, there is a $7 off coupon floating around. Tried to prnt it, but my printer hates me, and now it wont let me print again :-(
post #17 of 61 Old 02-25-2013, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I may just blind buy this one! Wreck-It-Ralph sounds better than Brave by quite a bit. Brave, to me, was one of the weakest PIXAR's (next to Cars 2) ever produced. The story was very thin, timid, safe, and pulled all its punches. PIXAR used to deftly mix a pretty creative story with sly and subtle adult humor that everyone could enjoy. No way was it best animated film of 2012.

Seems like PIXAR and Disney Animation are switching places. We'll see what Monsters Inc. 2 brings.

I liked Ralph way more than Brave. Brave was... interesting? Wreck it Ralph and Paranorman were both better than Brave. Brave for all of it's progressive nature built into it's story line, (And yes, that epic hair) was so unsatisfying narratively. Plus, it had almost every Street Fighter 2 as a cameo somewhere. ^_^
post #18 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Great review! Man im so excited to get this on 3D-BD! I loved it in the theater being a video game fan. And I don't think you need to be one to enjoy this excellent animation. What an incredible score too!!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #19 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirpie View Post

I liked Ralph way more than Brave. Brave was... interesting? Wreck it Ralph and Paranorman were both better than Brave. Brave for all of it's progressive nature built into it's story line, (And yes, that epic hair) was so unsatisfying narratively. Plus, it had almost every Street Fighter 2 as a cameo somewhere. ^_^

Thx for spoiling the cameos! Just kidding, was actually expecting lots of cameos from different classic sources, but, still... tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

I beg to differ, I for one looooved Brave (3D)... AND ParaNorman (3D)! 'Course, having a then-14-yr-old-now-15-yr-old daughter struggling to get along better with her mother (and vice-versa) adds heaftily to that equation, doesn't it?

ALSO, Cars 2 (3D) has been of great value at home, especially with my 4-soon-to-be-5-yr-old, but for the whole family as well!

YES to getting and watching Wreck-It Ralph in 3D!!!
post #20 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Thx for spoiling the cameos! Just kidding, was actually expecting lots of cameos from different classic sources, but, still... tongue.gif
I beg to differ, I for one looooved Brave (3D)... AND ParaNorman (3D)! 'Course, having a then-14-yr-old-now-15-yr-old daughter struggling to get along better with her mother (and vice-versa) adds heaftily to that equation, doesn't it?

ALSO, Cars 2 (3D) has been of great value at home, especially with my 4-soon-to-be-5-yr-old, but for the whole family as well!

I definitely felt like Wreck-It Ralph was the better movie when compared to Brave. I also felt HTTYD was better than Toy Story 3 lol but thats just me!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #21 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

I definitely felt like Wreck-It Ralph was the better movie when compared to Brave. I also felt HTTYD was better than Toy Story 3 lol but thats just me!

How To Train Your Dragon is also an awesome movie! Bettered by 3D as well! cool.gif
post #22 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's not to lessen the "moral" of Brave (it worked for your daughter), but they could have written it in a much stronger fashion with better adult-friendly content and more memorable characters than another Disney flick it ripped off... Brother Bear [shudders]. I'm a dude, of course, with no kids and I really like quite a few of the Disney animated titles and am not ashamed to admit it. Of the modern Princess themed movies, Tangled was leaps and bounds better than Brave IMHO and could at least hold my interest. Though, even that was still not as strong as the very best PIXAR's like Toy Story and Toy Story 2, Monsters Inc., Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, and Wall-E or Disney at its best. Yes, I even liked Bolt more than Brave.

post #23 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 03:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I beg to differ, I for one looooved Brave.'Course, having a then-14-yr-old-now-15-yr-old daughter struggling to get along better with her mother (and vice-versa) adds heaftily to that equation, doesn't it?

I loved Brave so does the wife we have a daughter turning 10 and its nice to see the bond between mother and daughter in this film esp the ending always brings a tear to our eyes. It's not for all but it worked for me.

Frank

post #24 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

How To Train Your Dragon is also an awesome movie! Bettered by 3D as well! cool.gif

HTTYD was fantastic.

Frank

post #25 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 03:44 PM

Liked: 13
um, sold!
post #26 of 61 Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
This one sounds like a winner, looking forward to enjoying it with the kids.
cheers
post #27 of 61 Old 02-28-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I am looking forward to snatching this one up next week. Being a video gamer the characters hit real close to home lol!!! and given Ralph's review this should be a very fun watch and hearing session for me.
post #28 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Better than Brave... as in a bit more cleverly written with a few adult "in-jokes" and sight gags to keep this nostalgia buff entertained. Glad I bought it today.

However, there is one caveat to this (and this goes to Disney Animation and PIXAR)... their basic plots and structuring are becoming extremely formulaic and stale even when they do something like Wreck-It-Ralph (trying to do for video games like Toy Story did for, well, toys). They have GOT to mix their story choices up more. Take some chances, be daring and fresh or they'll suffer Disney's earlier fate when they fell flat on their faces with a series of uninspiring duds (like Atlantis and Treasure Planet and Home on the Range) until PIXAR came along and saved them. It was almost game-over for the animation division. Dark times for the mouse like in the 70's and most of the 80's.

post #29 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 05:52 PM

Liked: 10
Well I must of gotten a bum 2-D Blu ray. The video was 100% spot on, LFE was weak?!. Yes everything was hooked up correctly, put in scuba steve disc in after movie to verify nothing had changed. very puzzled i am......I'm going to return it for another copy tomorrow.

Denon 2808CI
Emotiva XPA-2-Mains
Emotiva UPA-2-Bi-Amped-Center
Definitive Technology BP-7004 (Mains), CLR 3000(Center), BP 1.2x (Rear & Side Surrounds)
JTR Sealed Captivator S2, PE Titanic 1000 watt Sonotube
Panasonic PT-AE8000u Projector, Panasonic Blu-Ray Player BDT-500
Carada 88" Projector Screen
post #30 of 61 Old 03-05-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kong View Post

Well I must of gotten a bum 2-D Blu ray. The video was 100% spot on, LFE was weak?!. Yes everything was hooked up correctly, put in scuba steve disc in after movie to verify nothing had changed. very puzzled i am......I'm going to return it for another copy tomorrow.

That's not going to change if you get another disc. Rarely is a defect going to manifest itself in a single channel of an audio codec encoding on a random disc (it's from the same glass master used to stamp all the discs in a run) unless it affects all copies due to a bad mastering job on the software side. Probably a set up or calibration issue. The bass was thunderous for me. Check that no dynamic range compression settings or late night settings are on in your receiver or Blu-ray player.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Blu Ray Movies , Wreck It Ralph Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page