post #61 of 85 Old 04-12-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Watched the 2d version last night and I think this might be my favorite of the 2012 films. Such a gripping experience and I am very curious to see it in 3d now. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
The whole scene with the Tiger pausing at the forest edge, not turning around and then walking into his new home was heart wrenching! I was SO glad he survived the voyage though as it was looking iffy there for a bit!

The 2d PQ is nothing short of amazing and one of the most consistently impressive blu rays I have seen. A well deserved 100 IMO.

Audio was excellent as well and really supported the film beautifully.

All things combined make this one powerful HT experience and I am looking forward to checking out the 3d at some point.

The part you mention in the spoiler I agree with also! That really did bother me to. biggrin.gif

ALSO...
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
This movie was to me sadder and more depressing which I was not expecting. I was expecting it to be more uplifting and to have more of a happy ending. frown.gif

And ALSO 1 more...
The part near the beginning of the movie where he fed the goat to the tiger? The goat was clearly on the other side of the metal gate, yet within moments of eating the goat, the tiger somehow manages to be able to pull the goat through the gate? How could they have not noticed this flaw when filming? It didn't occur to them to have the goat initially on the same side of that gate with the tiger?

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 85 Old 04-12-2013, 01:21 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

The part you mention in the spoiler I agree with also! That really did bother me to. biggrin.gif

ALSO...
This movie was to me sadder and more depressing which I was not expecting. I was expecting it to be more uplifting and to have more of a happy ending. frown.gif

And ALSO 1 more...
The part near the beginning of the movie where he fed the goat to the tiger? The goat was clearly on the other side of the metal gate, yet within moments of eating the goat, the tiger somehow manages to be able to pull the goat through the gate? How could they have not noticed this flaw when filming? It didn't occur to them to have the goat initially on the same side of that gate with the tiger?

I know how you feel! Man, this one definitely got a few tears out of me which I am not ashamed to admit. smile.gif That connection he felt with the Tiger at the end is similar to how I feel about my dog so it kept hitting me from that angle which definitely made things a bit emotional.

As far as your second spoiler, I noticed the exact same thing and not sure why they Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
did not put the goat on the other side of the gate

Overall though, what a great film and it really hit me pretty hard for various reasons.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #63 of 85 Old 04-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

...felt that the CG tiger left a lot to be desired in several scenes.

LOL! You should check out the extras where the tiger trainer himself admits to sometimes not being able to tell which scenes were CGI and which were shot with the real tiger! eek.gif

As to... Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
the goat being on the other side of that gate, I noticed it too, but then thought a tiger surely would have the strength to break the measly goat's bones enough to cross it over through those bars, wouldn't it? eek.gif

To me, those were things that added to the exhilarating experience this movie truly is! cool.gif
post #64 of 85 Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 PM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Just finished watching the 2D BR version of Pi and I love it. I wasn't interested at first thinking this is just a shipwreck story but it's more than that.

However, did anyone notice the beginning of the movie before the shipwreck the cinematography is a bit unusual? It feels kind of like soap opera kind of framing and make the movie feel small, like a documentary or sitcom.
post #65 of 85 Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

ALSO...

And ALSO 1 more...
Think back...where was the boy? He wasn't much bigger than the goat. That was the point. smile.gif
post #66 of 85 Old 04-14-2013, 06:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 445
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

Think back...where was the boy? He wasn't much bigger than the goat. That was the point. smile.gif

Great point Hugh. I did not catch that either. I can erase that minor quibble of mine now, thanks!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #67 of 85 Old 04-14-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

I got that and I didn't miss that at all. biggrin.gif

It still doesn't answer how Mr Parker is magically able to teleport that goat through that metal gate! redface.gif

It's just the fact that Richard Parker was able to squeeze that goat through the goat with such ease. I rewatched that exact scene 5 times. As he's walking away with the goat, it clearly looks as though the goat could not have been dragged through one of the openings because he doesn't appear to be crushed enough to get through. In fact the goat didn't look crushed at all. Plus think about it, it only took Richard like 3 seconds to get the goat through an opening. And even if he were somehow able to crush a goat that's on the OTHER SIDE of a gate with those thick bars, the goat sure didn't sound like it was in much pain at all. I think that woulda hurt like hell if he were crushed like that. Pi's dad's point would have been made just fine if they kept the realism in the scene and not had the goat magically dragged through a metal gate. wink.gif

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #68 of 85 Old 04-14-2013, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Great point Hugh. I did not catch that either. I can erase that minor quibble of mine now, thanks!

It's a minor quibble that is unrealistic though! Couldn't have happened!

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #69 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 05:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:

It's a minor quibble that is unrealistic though! Couldn't have happened!
Interesting how controversial this scene has become. Taken literally, the scene shows us how wild animals are much stronger than we think. We've never seen a tiger try to drag a goat through metal bars before, so what do we know? As mentioned before, that's the point of the whole scene: to show Pi (and us) that animals are not as we imagined. I read elsewhere that tigers are in fact strong enough to easily break the bones of such a small animal. The sound effects in that moment, which we aren't actually shown, are pretty gruesome anyway.

But let's say we don't accept that. Remember that this is all as retold by the adult Pi. Perhaps we don't believe his story. By the end of it I had a lot of bigger misgivings (the island) than the believability of a goat getting squeezed through some metal bars. If that's how you view the film, then the implausibility of the goat is just your first sign that it's fiction. Maybe you just didn't identify it as such then, being so early in the movie!

But I think that's the movie's greatness in a nutshell. The scene works either way.
post #70 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 07:19 AM

Liked: 15
I'm puzzled by the existence of the surreal island. Doesn't it nullify the possibility of story 1 seeing that it is not likely to exist in this world?
post #71 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airion View Post

Interesting how controversial this scene has become. Taken literally, the scene shows us how wild animals are much stronger than we think. We've never seen a tiger try to drag a goat through metal bars before, so what do we know? As mentioned before, that's the point of the whole scene: to show Pi (and us) that animals are not as we imagined. I read elsewhere that tigers are in fact strong enough to easily break the bones of such a small animal. The sound effects in that moment, which we aren't actually shown, are pretty gruesome anyway.

But let's say we don't accept that. Remember that this is all as retold by the adult Pi. Perhaps we don't believe his story. By the end of it I had a lot of bigger misgivings (the island) than the believability of a goat getting squeezed through some metal bars. If that's how you view the film, then the implausibility of the goat is just your first sign that it's fiction. Maybe you just didn't identify it as such then, being so early in the movie!

But I think that's the movie's greatness in a nutshell. The scene works either way.

Awesome point Airion! cool.gif
post #72 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 11:11 AM

Liked: 11
Have to agree; in retrospect, I didn’t notice any crosstalk/ghosting on this one – which is a big plus! It sucks when you’re really enjoying the 3D and all of the sudden the experience gets tainted by one small scene with crosstalk. Not a big deal, but it distracts from the experience.

I thought it was enjoyable. I have a friend who just got a 3D set and I coaxed him into buying it as a 3D title and he wants to trade my Dredd for it now that I let him borrow Dredd and a few others. I might take him up on the offer actually. Not that I was blown away by the movie as I might have believed from all the hype over it, but it was enjoyable and the 3D was very well done.

The survival story was relatable/inspirational, etc. I might prefer Castaway with Tom Hanks personally for that fix/storyline, but this no doubt has the 3D and fx that ranks toward the top of the list of the current crop. The coexistence with Richard Parker adds an element that Castaway didn’t have too.
post #73 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 02:22 PM

Liked: 33
Quote:

I got that and I didn't miss that at all. biggrin.gif

It still doesn't answer how Mr Parker is magically able to teleport that goat through that metal gate! redface.gif

It's just the fact that Richard Parker was able to squeeze that goat through the goat with such ease. I rewatched that exact scene 5 times. As he's walking away with the goat, it clearly looks as though the goat could not have been dragged through one of the openings because he doesn't appear to be crushed enough to get through. In fact the goat didn't look crushed at all. Plus think about it, it only took Richard like 3 seconds to get the goat through an opening. And even if he were somehow able to crush a goat that's on the OTHER SIDE of a gate with those thick bars, the goat sure didn't sound like it was in much pain at all. I think that woulda hurt like hell if he were crushed like that. Pi's dad's point would have been made just fine if they kept the realism in the scene and not had the goat magically dragged through a metal gate. wink.gif

My bet is that there may have been more to the scene, but it was cut out to keep it PG.

post #74 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Cmon man and arion you've convinced me!

I think you guys hit the nail on the head in both your assumptions on that scene. smile.gif

With that in mind I'm ok with that scene now. biggrin.gif

2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #75 of 85 Old 04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:

Cmon man and arion you've convinced me!

I think you guys hit the nail on the head in both your assumptions on that scene. smile.gif

With that in mind I'm ok with that scene now. biggrin.gif
You can find the links as I did yesterday, but yes it can happen and it has although not too frequently. One pic and article I found showed a person who lost his arm and died as two tigers pulled his arm off thru the bars.....and the pic shows him laying there.
post #76 of 85 Old 04-16-2013, 12:12 AM

Liked: 10
One of the best Oscar nominated movies in India. Excited for its 3d version.

bollywood news
post #77 of 85 Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 12
I just watched this movie last night in 3D, and I must say I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a movie so much.
post #78 of 85 Old 06-20-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm convinced. 3D version will be at my place by Monday. smile.gif
post #79 of 85 Old 07-03-2013, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
I was going to order the blue ray 3d from best buy, and I see there are 2 options; one for $19 and the other for $29

the cheaper one says Life Of Pi (W/Dvd) (Uvdc) (Wbr) (Widescreen) (AC3) (Blu-ray 3D)

and the $29 says Life Of Pi (Bby) (Blu-ray 3D)

We have a new 70" sharp aquos that we'll be watching it on, is the widescreen edition going to put the black bars on top and bottom of screen even on tc this size?

thanks,
Lg
post #80 of 85 Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 AM

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudgonzo View Post

I was going to order the blue ray 3d from best buy, and I see there are 2 options; one for $19 and the other for $29

the cheaper one says Life Of Pi (W/Dvd) (Uvdc) (Wbr) (Widescreen) (AC3) (Blu-ray 3D)

and the $29 says Life Of Pi (Bby) (Blu-ray 3D)

We have a new 70" sharp aquos that we'll be watching it on, is the widescreen edition going to put the black bars on top and bottom of screen even on tc this size?

thanks,
Lg

Life Of Pi is 16 x 9 so you won't get any black bars.

Collingwood Magpies 2010 AFL Premiers
post #81 of 85 Old 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreyTheater View Post

I believe I also read that during the whale scene, the screen goes to a 1.33:1 format for a short time, with black bars on the sides, again for effect... I'm not sure if I noticed that one or not, I'll have to rewatch it - I was too busy being drawn into the visuals the first time through, to hardly notice any aspect changes, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneertop View Post

lol..yes the aspect ratio ..did change for a shot time at first i thought that i pressed the remote..by mistake..but it came back shortly...

I watched on HBO last night and the format change struck me as very odd. Especially when on youtube it seems to be 16:9 format.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHl-cqMJis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryJames View Post

I'm puzzled by the existence of the surreal island. Doesn't it nullify the possibility of story 1 seeing that it is not likely to exist in this world?

I think so. Not sure why they accused him of bananas don't float though.
The "gut shot" moment of the story when he asks which version of the stories he liked better pretty much tells you what you need to know I think.
I took it as the acknowledgement that in order to maintain his sanity and survive he used the time in the boat to imagine a better version of what was happening to him. Remember the tiger nearly died towards the end, and if I'm reading the symbolism correctly, the tiger not looking back and disappearing into the jungle was his imagination/hallucinations leaving as he stepped back into reality. What kept him alive now had to go so he could go back to living a 'normal' life. He was indeed sad it had to end because it was the tiger (his mind/faith/god what have you) that allowed him to survive. The tiger also appears suddenly at the point the hyena went off and killed everything - so this was the animal in Pi coming out - the dark/survivalist side? But I've not read the book and only seen it once so I might be missing something.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #82 of 85 Old 08-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

I watched on HBO last night and the format change struck me as very odd. Especially when on youtube it seems to be 16:9 format.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyHl-cqMJis
I think so. Not sure why they accused him of bananas don't float though.
The "gut shot" moment of the story when he asks which version of the stories he liked better pretty much tells you what you need to know I think.
I took it as the acknowledgement that in order to maintain his sanity and survive he used the time in the boat to imagine a better version of what was happening to him. Remember the tiger nearly died towards the end, and if I'm reading the symbolism correctly, the tiger not looking back and disappearing into the jungle was his imagination/hallucinations leaving as he stepped back into reality. What kept him alive now had to go so he could go back to living a 'normal' life. He was indeed sad it had to end because it was the tiger (his mind/faith/god what have you) that allowed him to survive. The tiger also appears suddenly at the point the hyena went off and killed everything - so this was the animal in Pi coming out - the dark/survivalist side? But I've not read the book and only seen it once so I might be missing something.

Great explanation in that spoiler. I watched this twice on HBO on Saturday night and loved it so much I bought the 3D version. What an awesome movie.
post #83 of 85 Old 08-26-2013, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The explanation within the spoiler is a good one.

However, what sells this story/movie is the imagination, not the "reality". Isn't that what story-telling all about?

I ended up buying the BR version, though my pj is 3D.
post #84 of 85 Old 08-26-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

The explanation within the spoiler is a good one.

However, what sells this story/movie is the imagination, not the "reality". Isn't that what story-telling all about?

I ended up buying the BR version, though my pj is 3D.

Agreed, that's why it took me by surprise at the end.

50" Samsung Plasma HDTV | Networked Yamaha RX-V573 7.1 AV | BIC DV-32CLR Center | JBL 2600 Mains | Fluance AVBP2 Bi-Pole Surrounds on Soundcast SCS-100 wireless surround | Onkyo SKC-530 Sub | Networked Sony BDP-S590 

post #85 of 85 Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Hockey Guy View Post

+1! Isn't it great how this movie keeps bringing up so many ways to interpret it? Buy whichever version you like, but the 3D is outasight! cool.gif
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Life Of Pi 3d Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Life by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page