Feature running time: 98 minutes
Genre: Comedy/ Drama

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Bruce Willis, Rebecca Hall, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Joshua Jackson, Vince Vaughn, Laura Prepon
Directed by: Stephen Frears
Written by: Beth Raymer (memoir), D.V. DeVincentis (screenplay)
Music by: James Seymour Brett
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 5, 2013

"Lady Luck"

Film Synopsis:

Ex-Private Dancer Beth, aspires to be a Las Vegas cocktail waitress when she falls in with Dink, a sports gambler. Sparks fly as she proves to be something of a gambling prodigy. Much to the ire of Dink's wife, Tulip

My Take:

If I was a betting man I would have lost, as with the pedigree this one has, I expected more from Lay The Favorite. Directed by Stephen Frears (The Queen, Dangerous Liaisons) and staring Bruce Willis, Rebecca Hall, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Joshua Jackson & Vince Vaughn, I was hoping for much more than the bland ride this turned out to be. Set in a world that has gambling, bookies and strippers, I thought there would be something rough around the edges. I was wrong. This movie needed some serious spicing up.

This is the supposed true story of Beth Raymer (Rebecca Hall) who leaves home to try to land a job as a Las Vegas cocktail waitress. When she finds out how hard that job is to come by, she ends up with an interview at "Dink, Inc." Bruce Willis is Dink, and his name is the only joke that had me kind-of chuckle for a quick moment, but after hearing Dink 100 times, it just got dumb. Dink is a professional gambler who takes Beth under his wing and gives her a job. She becomes his "Lady Luck" (which was the movies original name), until his wife, Tulip (Catherine Zeta-Jones), gets jealous. Beth ends up fleeing to NYC to be with a guy (Joshua Jackson) she met for one night in Vegas and ends up working for a Bookie played by Vince Vaughn.

An OK time passer, Lay The Favorite never scores on any of the levels it aims for. As a comedy its not particularly funny, as a drama there is no real strong conflict or emotions that can grab a viewer, and as a piece set in a slightly seedy world, it is almost too fluffy and cartoonish. Don't go out of your way...

Parental Guide:

Rated R for language throughout, some sexual content, brief drug use, and nudity

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Lay The Favorite comes to Blu-ray from Anchor Bay Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.8 mbps and DTS-HD MA 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.8 mbps

Lay The Favorite is a wonderful looking Blu-ray release from Anchor Bay. Fine details, color, black levels...all are great, but there seems to be no hart behind the over-all look. Most will be wowed with the incredible depth and detail, I was just a bit bored with its lack of visual identity. The audio starts with some pop, the opening score was dynamic with a nice full bodied kick drum. Dialouge is never hard to make out, even with lots of bickering going on. There is hardly much rear and atmospheric presence, but its hardly needed.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Trailers: The Details, Bachelorette and Butter

Final Thoughts:

Dink Dink Dink. Ok good, I feel better now. Lay The Favorite is truly bland and completely unmemorable movie. Oh what has happened to Mr. Frears and Mr Willis...At least its one heck of a looker on Blu-ray, but anyone who is into it will be disappointed with its complete lack of additional features. Skip, rent or DVR this one.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer

Tags
Lay The Favorite Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Lay by PriceGrabber.com