The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 165 Old 03-23-2013, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4daisy View Post

Lol, people's opinions on movies, how long they should be, the book takes a week to read or two days to read so there should only be one movie not three. Are you guys for real? If it had've been one movie you would all be complaining it should have been more. And where's the rule that says a book has to be one movie, two movies or 3 movies long etc? Is that reading of the book in a week based on what, average or exceptional reading skills? Wait you can read it in two days you say, what is that based on, reading for 12 hrs a day average? What a joke lol.

Wrt the LOTR's movies, I love them but I have to be in a certain frame of mind to watch them, which is true of many different genres of films.

As far as falling asleep during a movie, if you're tired enough it doesn't really matter how good or bad the subject matter, you will fall asleep regardless.

Of course if you are naive enough not to think the film industry's number one goal is profit making and hence 3 movies will make more money than 1, then you really need a reality check smile.gif

I don't care or complain how film studios make a movie - I just don't pander to the hype or publicity behind the marketing.
They have every right to make money, it's what makes the film world go around, but I just won't be a part of it. I wait until it's available to rent and if I like it I might buy it a year later used when it's 75% less then when it was new.
I might go to a theater once in a blue moon, even then it's a matinee or a dollar cinema....or even when it's on a Dish free preview weekend. wink.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 165 Old 03-23-2013, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:

If it had've been one movie you would all be complaining it should have been more.

no
post #93 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 01:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 571
Well it took a bit of settling into but once I decided to let go and enjoy the Hobbit the more I liked it , the audio could have used more impact as there were plenty of opportunities for it but one thing for sure its got me excited for the rest of the story which is all I wanted it to do. Perhaps Mr. Jackson is just getting warmed up and the best is yet to come!
post #94 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:

Lol, people's opinions on movies, how long they should be, the book takes a week to read or two days to read so there should only be one movie not three. Are you guys for real?

No. I'm saying I don't necessarily want to drag the story out over three years when I can read the book in a couple of days. Not the same thing. smile.gif

For the record, I'm actually OK with the movie ...
post #95 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 07:10 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 340
I had a chance to watch it last night and I liked it. I was very happy with some scenes that were present in the movie that had a connection to LOTR( Actually preferred those scenes then the quest of the Dwarves)

Pq and Aq I thought it was quite good ( the LFE was ok nothing to get excited about )

I'm going to watch it again next week making sure I didn't miss anything but will definitely be waiting for the next release.

Frank
post #96 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 09:38 AM

Liked: 10
Missed it in the theater. Looking forward to watching on Blu-ray.

post #97 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Just my opinion of course, but based on the books themselves, if The Hobbit truly needed to be made into three fairly long movies, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy should have been at least nine movies. However, I would not be happy if Peter Jackson made me wait nine years to see them all.

oz
post #98 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 1151
I didn't get a chance to see The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey in the theater, although sorta tried to make it a coupla times with my sister. More wanted to see how it looked in 48fps big screen 3d but oh well maybe during a re release some day.

I got my BD (2d altho am tempted to get the 3d too) a few days ago and have been sick last coupla days and have now watched it three times, although was distracted by some other stuff going on during one of them. I liked it very much. Top quality production.

Some of my very favorite books were The Hobbit (first) and LOTR, have read each many times. I also would have preferred the movies out in the order of the books but at least they got made and with IMHO great translation over to film. I could easily have been sold on much more film time for LOTR, so three films for the Hobbit doesn't bother me at all. I think LOTR has slow moments as does this but it really doesn't bother me, I'm happy to "endure".

Coulda had some more LFE here and there but that tasty bit with the dragon at the end I've played several times and that has me looking forward to an improvement in that department for the next one.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #99 of 165 Old 03-24-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced Member

I first watched this one in 3D and felt it deserved about a 7.5 out of 10 score, but today I watched it in 2D with my wife (she gets nausea issues with 3D) and she thought it deserved around 8 out of 10. Admittedly, watching it a second time has made me anxious to see the next two films of the trilogy.

oz
post #100 of 165 Old 03-25-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
One of the best video presentations available on disc. I look forward to the 3D version of the film which I missed in the theater.
post #101 of 165 Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
I broke down and got this, can't wait to watch.
post #102 of 165 Old 03-25-2013, 11:42 AM

Liked: 15
The "Special Features" blu ray disc is a very nice addition to this set! Usually I'm not very interested in the special features of the movies I buy and don't normally watch them but, on a whim, I put the disc in and after watching some of the features my interest has grown considerably. What a magnificent place New Zealand is and to be able to work there and spend that much time there must have been an experience of a lifetime. Actually, many people who worked on this have said, more or less, it was an experience of a lifetime.

Heck, I haven't even watched the "Special Features" of The Lord of the Rings EE Trilogy yet but after I finish this disc I'm going to start on those. Just another part of this hobby to enjoy that I hadn't considered yet.

Yeah, I know, I'm a slow starter.

Al
post #103 of 165 Old 03-25-2013, 08:15 PM

Liked: 10
It is already too long with characters which were never in the books and don't belong in the movie. AZOG was killed years before this takes place and the council with Elrond, Saruman and Galadriel is not part of the book as it also occurred much earlier. Jackson is stretching the movie out to garner bigger $$$. The visuals and audio are excellent but the movie is too long as is.
post #104 of 165 Old 03-25-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireh20 View Post

It is already too long with characters which were never in the books and don't belong in the movie. AZOG was killed years before this takes place and the council with Elrond, Saruman and Galadriel is not part of the book as it also occurred much earlier. Jackson is stretching the movie out to garner bigger $$$. The visuals and audio are excellent but the movie is too long as is.

You left out the rabbit sled thing wink.gif

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

post #105 of 165 Old 03-25-2013, 10:56 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireh20 View Post

the council with Elrond, Saruman and Galadriel is not part of the book as it also occurred much earlier. .

I'm glad they put that in.

Frank
post #106 of 165 Old 03-26-2013, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Ralph,

I have not watched it all the way through and wont comment to audio as I use a soundbar. The picture of the Hobbit is nothing short of astounding. I've tested scenes throughout and simply cannot wait to watch all the way through with my wife. Yes, we will start early in the evening.

Depth, detail, darks, shadow details, natural colors and clarity are all there on this one.

What a great phase right now as 3D starts to hit its stride finally and we get transfers such as SKYFALL, Zero Dark Thirty and the Hobbit. Wow!

Your editorilal and review remains consistent and spot on as the years go by boss!
Thanks you.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

post #107 of 165 Old 03-26-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner1959 View Post

Ralph,

I have not watched it all the way through and wont comment to audio as I use a soundbar. The picture of the Hobbit is nothing short of astounding. I've tested scenes throughout and simply cannot wait to watch all the way through with my wife. Yes, we will start early in the evening.

Depth, detail, darks, shadow details, natural colors and clarity are all there on this one.

What a great phase right now as 3D starts to hit its stride finally and we get transfers such as SKYFALL, Zero Dark Thirty and the Hobbit. Wow!

Your editorilal and review remains consistent and spot on as the years go by boss!
Thanks you.

Greetings,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Hobbit in Blu Bladerunner1959. Thanks for your positive comments they are much appreciated..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #108 of 165 Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Geeze really? They filmed this in 5K.
post #109 of 165 Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 97
okay this might have been asked but will you be reviewing the 3d version? is the 3d version in its filmed 48fps state?

Projector: BenQ w1070 v1.06 + Painted N9 Grey 120" Screen
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR636 ATMOS + Darbee Media Player: Panasonic DMP-BDT 321 + ChromeCast
Speakers: Polk Audio TSX550t (FL, FR), CS2 Series II (Center), Monitor40 Series II (RL, RR),
Onkyo THX Bookshelf Speakers (Ceiling L,R) + Dual JL Audio 12" Subs + ButtKicker LFE Arrangement: 5.2.2
post #110 of 165 Old 03-27-2013, 01:23 AM
AVS Special Member

He already did say, and did review and the tech for 48fps I do not believe exists for the home yet. http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465105/the-hobbit-an-unexpected-journey-3d-blu-ray-official-avsforum-review

post #111 of 165 Old 03-27-2013, 04:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
I watched this last night. Even if it's not your type of movie it's a must see, the visual effects are pretty amazing and the audio is outstanding. Mr Potts review was right on the money.
post #112 of 165 Old 03-27-2013, 08:09 AM
CIH USER

Im going to give this a second run tonight just in case I missed something.

Frank
post #113 of 165 Old 03-27-2013, 12:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Im going to give this a second run tonight just in case I missed something.

I found it to be better the 2nd time around and now I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining films.

oz
post #114 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

I found it to be better the 2nd time around and now I'm looking forward to seeing the remaining films.

Same I enjoyed it the second time round even more. Can't wait till watch the other two.

Frank
post #115 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 06:11 AM
mnc
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Same I enjoyed it the second time round even more. Can't wait till watch the other two.

+1

NHT speakers, Denon 4520, Panasonic 65VT50
post #116 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 09:55 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Hilarious video for those who have not seen it. For those of us who thought this movie was underwhelming, it is even more hilarious since there is actually some good points as far as what went wrong with the film (some of the points are not legit as they are answered in the book, but still funny none the less)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8LDhsH79jAY

I have watched The Hobbit 2 times if full and tried to watch a 3rd time motivated mainly to check out the excellent 2d PQ (watched in 3d the other times), but had to shut it off after an hour as there was no way I could make it through this film a 3rd time as it actually got worse for me vs my first 2 times (which were also underwhelming). Going off that hour, I thought the 2d PQ was fantastic, but I have to say that IMO the best way to experience this film is in 3d. You really miss the depth when watching in 2d which really helps pull you into Middle Earth much better. I dont see myself ever watching the movie again as it is just flat out dull for me at this point and honestly a bit goofy (this truly does feel like TPM of the 4 films), but if I did or if my GFs kids ever ask me to put it on for them I would opt for the 3d version.

Oh, no change between the 2d and 3d versions as far as the LFE which is very disappointing in both mixes IMO. I watched the Matrix films right after this 3rd Hobbit attempt and talk about putting the limp Hobbit low end in perspective! eek.gif This film is not even close to reference in the LFE department which was obvious to me especially when putting on some truly great LFE films like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. Oh well. Hope they can get the mix right for the last two films as far as the low end goes!

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #117 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Hilarious video for those who have not seen it. For those of us who thought this movie was underwhelming, it is even more hilarious since there is actually some good points as far as what went wrong with the film (some of the points are not legit as they are answered in the book, but still funny none the less)......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8LDhsH79jAY

I have watched The Hobbit 2 times if full and tried to watch a 3rd time motivated mainly to check out the excellent 2d PQ (watched in 3d the other times), but had to shut it off after an hour as there was no way I could make it through this film a 3rd time as it actually got worse for me vs my first 2 times (which were also underwhelming). Going off that hour, I thought the 2d PQ was fantastic, but I have to say that IMO the best way to experience this film is in 3d. You really miss the depth when watching in 2d which really helps pull you into Middle Earth much better. I dont see myself ever watching the movie again as it is just flat out dull for me at this point and honestly a bit goofy (this truly does feel like TPM of the 4 films), but if I did or if my GFs kids ever ask me to put it on for them I would opt for the 3d version.

Oh, no change between the 2d and 3d versions as far as the LFE which is very disappointing in both mixes IMO. I watched the Matrix films right after this 3rd Hobbit attempt and talk about putting the limp Hobbit low end in perspective! eek.gif This film is not even close to reference in the LFE department which was obvious to me especially when putting on some truly great LFE films like the 2nd and 3rd Matrix movies. Oh well. Hope they can get the mix right for the last two films as far as the low end goes!

Just goes to show you about our individual tastes. The Matrix movies I never bothered with more than twice each because they're so horrible....some of the worst excuses for science fiction and then there's Keanu Reeves and what he calls acting....altho some of the effects and visuals looked pretty good. Virtual beings fighting it out with martial arts and guns? That's just mind deadening. eek.gif

post #118 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM

Liked: 15
I don't get how anyone could use The Matrix and The Hobbit in the same conversation let alone using them as a comparison.

Al
post #119 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 12:09 PM

Liked: 11
Purchased the 3D combo pack and watched it the 2D version weekend. Below is my set up (not ideal but I downsized homes thus my HTS was scaled back as well) and my thoughts on the movie:

KDL55HX820
PS3
BDVN790w

Image quality:
This is probably the best Bluray I have ever seen. I watched the movies twice in the theaters (3D and 2D) and there were so many details that I missed in the theater. Really blown away at how sharp and colorful everything looked. Worth the purchase just for the IQ alone.

Sound:
Granted my home theater system is severely lacking compared to my old setup however I have been able to dial in a respectable level of sound. I found that I needed to increase the sub woofer level to compensate. I agree that the LotR Blurays have better LFE but some quick adjustments go a long way in helping the Hobbit.

Movie:
I think this is a great movie but agree that it is not as good as any of the LotR trilogy. I think what hurts the movie is that there are too many characters to follow, specifically the dwarves, thus you are unable to have any emotional connection to any one of them expect for a few, of course Thorin being one of them. In Fellowship, we were to learn quite a bit about each character and fall for their unique personalities.

I also felt a little let down at the end since nothing was "really" accomplished other than Thorin accepting Bilbo as one of the group. None of the main characters died and no enemies were defeated (yes the Goblin king but there was zero knowledge of his existence until the battle scene). Each one of the LotR movies left you with sense of accomplishment and wonder as to what would happen next.

Any fan of the LotR movies should own this.
post #120 of 165 Old 03-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angler55 View Post

I don't get how anyone could use The Matrix and The Hobbit in the same conversation let alone using them as a comparison.

Al

Of course the movies are subjective, but that has no impact with my post. My comments were from a technical perspective and audio at that and LFE support in particular. From this perspective there are so many examples (I just gave a couple with the 2nd and 3rd Matrix) of better mixed and more convincing LFE tracks in conjunction with the on screen action. From this perspective the comparison is perfectly valid.

Having said that, I find all three Matrix films to be much more entertaining vs The Hobbit but this is obviously very subjective and will vary depending on the viewer.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack