The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 165 Old 04-17-2013, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dharel View Post

The story just seemed to drag on and the character development was a bit lacking.

These were my thoughts exactly while watching it. For a person who hasn’t seen all of the movies and/or read the books – it seemed like they threw a lot of characters at you without a lot of background on who they were and why I cared, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 165 Old 04-17-2013, 12:35 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

Definitely worth a rent in the least, but I wish I had been more aware beforehand and not rented on a weeknight and had to attempt squeezing the nearly 3 hour movie in after work. It left me guessing that movie execs probably think in these terms when it comes to rentals too and that’s the first time I’ve ever even thought about it from that perspective.

My impression was that you really need to be tuned into this story to probably get the most out of this; read the books, etc. I think I’ve seen a few of the LOTR movies, but I’m not tuned into it enough to probably have gotten the most out of it. I’m sure for those who are – this was pretty epic.

Regardless, it was entertaining – worth way more than the $1.50 Redbox rental price tag. This movie was featured heavily in the HDVideoPro magazine – so, I was looking forward to seeing it. I hated missing it in the theater to see the 48fps, but frankly don’t know if it was shown here in 48fps or not even as I am only now seeing that it may or may not have been.

I know they shot this in New Zealand and featured some of the breathtaking scenery, but there was so much CG it might have detracted from that in not knowing if it was real scenery or computer generated. I’m not sure if that is a valid critique really. If you can’t tell the difference then maybe there is nothing to be critical of.

Overall though – the imagery and sound was superb. Immersive, etc. Glad I finally got to see it for myself.

I haven't read any of the books but it was just several months ago that I bought and watched, several times, The Lord of the Rings, Extended Edition so I didn't feel out of the loop when I watched The Hobbit, An Unexpected Journey. For me, it took more than one viewing of these movies to feel like I'm keeping up with most of the story so if you don't recall much from The Lord of the Rings movies you might not enjoy The Hobbit as much as you would if you had just watched the first movies.

As far as the CGI goes in these movies, I watched the special features that come with The Hobbit and it is explained that although many of the viewing audience will think that much of the landscape shots were CGI shots it's actually the amazing landscape of New Zealand. As a matter of fact Dawlin (I think that's his name), one of the Dwarves, said he sent some friends a photograph of him standing in one of the places they shot in and his friends all thought the photo had to be Photoshopped because of how cool the landscape looked when it wasn't touched up at all. It is really some awesome looking country and they shot scenes in different places over the two main islands that look just mind boggling. I was glad I bought this movie if for no other reason than the special features. As soon as I get a chance I'm going to watch the special features of The Lord of the Rings movies.

Al
post #153 of 165 Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

These were my thoughts exactly while watching it. For a person who hasn’t seen all of the movies and/or read the books – it seemed like they threw a lot of characters at you without a lot of background on who they were and why I cared, etc.

LOL ... wow, you guys really need to go back and read the book (Hobbit) without the benefit of the rest of the LOTR/Simarillion. biggrin.gif

Then compare and contrast movie vs. book.
post #154 of 165 Old 04-20-2013, 09:47 AM

Liked: 12
Finally saw this a couple of nights ago - I'm no hardcore LOTR/Hobbit freak or anything but did enjoy the LOTR trilogy.

I also read a lot of reviews and they seem just slightly ahead in positives vs. negatives.
I went in with an open mind and have not read any of the books, but do remember watching the original animated video back in the day, that's my only reference.
I really enjoyed it. The acting was excellent, the flow and plot was fairly smooth and the SPEFX were convincing and added that fantasy element very well. For me though, the scenery and setting is what did it.
The colors, the forest shots, the early evening shots, mountains and plains were just beyond excellent and added the atmosphere needed for such a film to come together. One of my favorite scenes is the eagle rescue and ensuing flight to the tip of a mountain where all characters met back up.
The audio/video and editing is first rate and will tax your display and surround set-up.
One thing I did notice was the definite vagueness of a few scenes which practically forces viewers to demand sequels, which will be coming. It's almost to say 'yeah, we all know there's more, just wait to see what's next'.
Lots of people have different nit-picks of this movie - in defense of the film, the logistics, the coordination, the time and imagination involved to bring this together is beyond what we'll ever know - much credit and kudos to Peter Jackson and crew for bringing this film to the public. The 2 hr and 50 minute run time just flew by .
I will be looking forward to the others as they become available.....
lwong180 likes this.
post #155 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 190
The Hobbit book is a tiny book (250 pages). The story is about how Bilbo got the ring, thats what the story is all about. One movie is more than enough to tell that story smile.gif
post #156 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

The Hobbit book is a tiny book (250 pages). The story is about how Bilbo got the ring, thats what the story is all about. One movie is more than enough to tell that story smile.gif

That brings up my only real question about the ring - so Bilbo found the ring in a cave after Gollum dropped it - is that all the back story we get on the ring itself?
I remember from the LOTR films about how it was made and such, but I kinda figured we'd get more on it's history in this version.....
post #157 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh 

That brings up my only real question about the ring - so Bilbo found the ring in a cave after Gollum dropped it - is that all the back story we get on the ring itself?
I remember from the LOTR films about how it was made and such, but I kinda figured we'd get more on it's history in this version.....

Sauron made the ring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron

In a battle Isildur cut the ring from Saurons hand. Years later Isildur was ambushed by Orcs while travelling. He tried to escape swimming to the other side of a river. While doing that the ring slipped from his finger. There is were Gollum found the ring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isildur
post #158 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

Sauron made the ring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauron

In a battle Isildur cut the ring from Saurons hand. Years later Isildur was ambushed by Orcs while travelling. He tried to escape swimming to the other side of a river. While doing that the ring slipped from his finger. There is were Gollum found the ring.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isildur

sheesh - how involved is all that! eek.gif
post #159 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post

sheesh - how involved is all that! eek.gif

For all that back-story, you'll need to read the Simarillion (which, technically, was never "finished.") Some of it may have made it into the LOTR appendices in one form or another ...
post #160 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

For all that back-story, you'll need to read the Simarillion (which, technically, was never "finished.") Some of it may have made it into the LOTR appendices in one form or another ...

So the Hobbit will be a trilogy - do you think that will finish the story or will there be more?
post #161 of 165 Old 04-21-2013, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by hifiHigh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTVChallenged View Post

So the Hobbit will be a trilogy - do you think that will finish the story or will there be more?

It should finish the story The Hobbit as that's what Tolkien wrote. I think Tolkien's family would have to approve further material in any case IIRC.
PcGeek626 likes this.

post #162 of 165 Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Just got around to watching The Hobbit last night. I read all of the negative reviews and that is why I waited so long to rent it. I loved the Lord of the Rings trilogy and did not expect this film to be as good but I thought it actually was almost as good. Was it as good as The Fellowship of the Ring or the Two Towers? No but I did think it was better than The Return of the King. The 2 hr and 50 min run time was not an issue. I was shocked when the movie ended because it did not seem like almost 3 hours went by.
lwong180 likes this.

Klipsch Synergy 3 speakers (LCR & surrounds)
dual Klipsch RW 12d
dual BIC PL-200
120" DIY 16:9 screen
Panasonic PT AX 200U projector
Panasonic BMP-BD35 blu-ray
Velodyne SMS-1
post #163 of 165 Old 05-28-2013, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
The wife and I watched this movie right after the blu-ray was initially released. This past weekend, we both agreed that (for us) it doesn't have the repeated viewing draw that the LOTR trilogy had. Still, we might watch it again just before the the next release of The Hobbit trilogy.

oz
post #164 of 165 Old 12-14-2013, 07:50 PM

Liked: 19

I think the books are better than the movie it's self. 

Overall i enjoyed the movie.  

Pure Audio = Audio Goodness
post #165 of 165 Old 12-19-2013, 10:56 AM

I enjoyed the movie and look forward to seeing the 3D version as well as the Extended version, even though the movie was already too long with some scenes taking up way too much screen time. Most notably the party at Bilbo Baggin's home. They didn't even leave the Shire until forty minutes into the film. The Hobbit is a far cry from the excellence that was The Lord of the Rings, movies in which you might have actually cared about most of the characters. In The Hobbit I really only cared about Gandalf and Bilbo. Having so many characters is probably part of the problem, but only Oakenfield's character gets much in the way of character background and development.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Hobbit An Unexpected Journey Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Digital Copy Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page