AVSForum (Blu-ray) Spotlight: Christine (1983), The Fury (1978) & The Song Of Bernadette (1943) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Twilight Time and Screenarchives.com Present 3 Limited Edition Blu-ray Releases

Christine (1983)

The Fury (1978)

The Song Of Bernadette (1943)

Greetings,

Twilight Time is a boutique brand that produces high quality, limited edition transfers of mainstream and lost Hollywood Classics. They only produce 3000 copies per title and are available exclusively through Screeenarchives.com. I was interested in the company and their releases when they put out 1985s Fright Night in a limited run of which I didn't get a copy (so if you are interested in a release, act quick!). I am happy to report that their transfers are superb and the utmost care has gone into their releases.

Lee

Christine

2cee7295_rsz_christine-blu-ray.jpeg

Overview:
Based on the best-selling Stephen King novel, CHRISTINE is a dark and violent film about the dangers of obsession. When a unpopular young man, Arnie (Keith Gordon), buys a vintage car to restore, it changes his life completely. The more he works on the car, which he names Christine, the more his personality changes. He becomes moody and dark, spending more and more time with the car and less and less with his friends. The friends become concerned as Arnie's passion for the automobile turns to extreme, and he becomes unstable. But the car has powers over the young man, and takes on a life of its own, becoming as obsessed with its new owner as he is of it. Their devotion to one another quickly becomes violent, and separating Arnie from the car is a deadly task for his friends. With CHRISTINE, director John Carpenter delivers a faithful adaptation of the book by Stephen King. One master of horror adapting another's work seems ideal, and the results are as powerful as expected. With Carpenter's ability to make the supernatural seem plausible, even commonplace, the film excels in evoking plenty of scares and nail biting from the audience.

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 111 mins, Rated NR, Audio Format: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 12th, 2012. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units. SOLD OUT

Quick Thoughts:
Before you get all excited, this one was sold out before release day, another reason to keep your eye on the Limited edition Twilight Time titles.

As a horror buff, Christine was always one of those flicks I wanted to like, especially being a fan of Stephen King, John Carpenter and to a lesser extent Keith Gordon, but just could never get into. Having not seen if for a long time, what better way then to re-visit on Blu-ray. I was pleasantly surprised this time, as the car, Christine, did live and breathe a bit more than I recalled (thought not as much as Rubber, a 2010 film about a tire that comes to life and kills people). Still not a "scary" movie to me, I did dig elements such as the performances and the over-all look and feel Carpenter delivered.

Even though it still is just an OK flick, Christine seemed to get a bit of a "detailing" for its Blu-ray release. This was thanks to a superb A/V presentation. Christine's cherry red finish pops off the screen, and colors are generally impressive. Delineation of fine details is a step above what was expected, especially considering the films almost dreamy-like headlights through fog atmosphere. Don't expect a aural bombardment with this DTS-HD MA audio track, but do expect it to fulfill its duties quite competently. Considering it delivers where it counts; the effect channels roar of the engine or its fantastic handling of Christine's radio playing classic oldies, this one wont disappoint. Like the car itself, this transfer breathes some life into this one.

Special Features:
· Isolated Score Track
· Audio Commentary with Filmmakers John Carpenter and Keith Gordon
· Fast and Furious
· Finish Line
· Ignition
· Deleted and Alternate Scenes
· Julie Kirgo liner notes

The Fury

bcacca01_thefury_bd.jpeg

Overview:
Director Brian De Palma’s follow-up to Carrie (1976), The Fury (1978) tells the tale of two psychically gifted young people, Gillian (Amy Irving) and Robin (Andrew Stevens), manipulated by a soulless government agent (John Cassavetes) while the boy’s CIA agent father (Kirk Douglas) attempts to rescue them. Featuring superb cinematography by Richard H. Kline (Body Heat) and a superlative score from the one and only John Williams, available on this release as an isolated track.

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 118 mins, Rated R, Audio Format: English 4.0 DTS-HD MA / English 2.0 DTS-HD MA
, Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 12th, 2012. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units.

Quick Thoughts:
I had never seen the Fury and was excited to give it a spin, considering it was DePalma when he had some edge and it starred Amy Irving who I thought was hot back then. Straight and to the point, I found it slow, dull and the amount of supposed intrigue and horror were far from dramatic or frightening enough to make care. Some great cinematography and performances did help me get through the film. There was a nice "oh ya!" moment during the opening credits when I could identify that the score was from John Williams before I read his name. This release does have the requite Twilight Time "Isolated Score Track " for those interested. There is a reason why you don't hear too much about this film as its OK at best.

Again, the AV here is a step above the film, keeping me more into it than I could have been. This one is not the most detailed, but it sure has wonderful colors and a palpable layers of film grain. The master print could use a bit of attention, however, it comes off quite well on Blu-ray. The DTS-HD MA 4.0 track faired well, but is not up to modern soundtrack standards. The low end is not as deep and menacing as it could have and should have been, and effects channels are a bit dull and lifeless. On a positive note, the 2 channel front sound stage has nice separation and imaging, and dialogue is always handled well.

Special Features:
· Isolated Score Track / Original Theatrical Trailer
· Extensive Julie Kirgo liner notes

The Song of Bernadette

37c35766_tsob_bd.jpeg

Overview:
A classic 1943 telling of the tale of Bernadette Soubirous (Academy Award-winner Jennifer Jones), a peasant girl vouchsafed visions of a “beautiful lady” believed by many to be the Virgin Mary, The Song of Bernadette features Oscar-winning work by cinematographer Arthur C. Miller and composer Alfred Newman (available here as an isolated track). Also on tap are sterling performances by the likes of Vincent Price, Charles Bickford, Gladys Cooper, Lee J. Cobb, Anne Revere, and Roman Bohnen. This story of simple faith in dark times remains one of the most revered films of Hollywood’s Golden Age.

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 156 mins, Rated NR, Audio Format: English 1.0 DTS-HD MA, Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: March 26th, 2012. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units.

Quick Thoughts:
The story is of Bernadette who sees a "vision" of a beautiful woman in the towns dump. The towns people believe it to be a vision of the Virgin Mary, but she believes it to be just a woman. As she attracts a bunch of followers, the local government tries to stop the insanity, but peoples "faith" seems to be stronger.The Song of Bernadette was a tough pill to swallow. For its time I can see it feeling a bit more powerful or "deep", but a great work stands the test of time, and this one certainly doesn't. It plays so serious that it feels comedic, and in the unintentional way. Performances were all good, it was just the whole faith message that is the basis of the over 2hrs that just wore thin quick.

The black and white film looks like film, with heavy grain. Black levels are strong, but fine details waiver throughout. This is another example of doing the best possible with a less then perfect source. The surprise here was the lossless mono track that felt bigger than it should have. Nice dynamic range and clear vocals were the highlight.

Special Features:
· Extensive Julie Kirgo liner notes

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Cool! My GFs daughter is reading Christine right now and she really wants to see the movie when she is finished. I was hoping this film was on blu for when we watch it so its great to see that it is and the A/V is solid. Looking forward to watching this again as it has been a LONG time.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #3 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Sadly, since CHRISTINE is now out-of-print, the only way anyone might be able to get CHRISTINE is via high-priced Ebay. Oh how I wish they made more than 3000.

post #4 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

Sadly, since CHRISTINE is now out-of-print, the only way anyone might be able to get CHRISTINE is via high-priced Ebay. Oh how I wish they made more than 3000.

No way! Bummer! frown.gif Well thanks for the info. Might just have to rough it with the DVD version it looks like.

Thanks

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 10 Old 03-29-2013, 02:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
This is rather funny and messed up at the same time..

I am really, really bad at remembering names. When I met my now ex-wife it took me over a month to remember her name. Friends knew I had started seeing someone and asked who. I had to explain I couldn't remember her name and the was a Stephen King book about a possessed car with the same name. "Christine??" Yeah! That's her name. Christine!

Should have taken that as a hint.. if the only way you can remember someone's name is to think of a possessed car it won't pan out well down the road. eek.gif

Perhaps they will do another run sometime. 3000 copies is not even a drop in the bucket of demand.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Christine is one of my guilty pleasures, hoping for a re-issue.

Steve S.
post #7 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 06:46 PM

Liked: 17
I was lucky enough to get a copy of Christine, and it is one of the best looking older films I have ever seen on Blu-ray. A lot of scenes have a warm painterly look, the clarity is great, it is worlds beyond the DVD. This is a superb transfer, and it is a shame that it can't be enjoyed by more people. If you aren't willing to shell out the roughly $70 it costs on E-bay, I would say go ahead and download it, there are high definition MKVs available online. This film holds up, I'm telling you, it's worth it.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 06:51 PM

Liked: 17
I'm sorry to say, but it will be possibly 3 years or more before any copies are made. This caused a huge outcry due to the scalpers that swept in and snatched up the inventory, but Twilight Time has been adamant that this is it, there won't be any reissues or any more copies made. People that didn't get a copy were furious, you should read the hate that Twilight Time got on their facebook page. E-bay prices have fallen to around $70 as the scalpers flood the market, in 6 months the price will be back up. This transfer is so great, I can't believe they didn't do a wide release. Like I said, you may have to resort to less savory methods of getting this film, due to the 'torrents' of interest, but what do they expect if they limit supply like this.

That said, I will trade my copy for a Darbee Darblet, JKJKJK LOL
post #9 of 10 Old 04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukley View Post

I'm sorry to say, but it will be possibly 3 years or more before any copies are made. This caused a huge outcry due to the scalpers that swept in and snatched up the inventory, but Twilight Time has been adamant that this is it, there won't be any reissues or any more copies made. People that didn't get a copy were furious, you should read the hate that Twilight Time got on their facebook page. E-bay prices have fallen to around $70 as the scalpers flood the market, in 6 months the price will be back up. This transfer is so great, I can't believe they didn't do a wide release. Like I said, you may have to resort to less savory methods of getting this film, due to the 'torrents' of interest, but what do they expect if they limit supply like this.

That said, I will trade my copy for a Darbee Darblet, JKJKJK LOL

While I don't know for sure, as I mentioned...it may not be TT's fault. It's possible the limit is contractual. After all, they already know that past genre efforts have sold-out...FRIGHT NIGHT, MYSTERIOUS ISLAND, JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH...so one would like to assume that they'd know that 3000 is not enough for CHRISTINE. Perhaps they weren't allowed to. Either way, damn the scalpers..

post #10 of 10 Old 04-04-2013, 02:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post

I was fortunate to find the book at my local library "friends book sale" in branch. a first edition printing to boot.
great movie too.

my HT
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Fury Blu Ray , The Song Of Bernadette Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page