Aloha Fluffy - Gabriel Iglesias Live from Hawaii (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 401
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount - 2012
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 94 minutes
Genre: Live performance/comedy

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080i/60

Audio Format(s): Dolby TrueHD 5.1, Dolby Digital Stereo
Subtitles: English, English SDH
Starring: Gabriel Iglesias
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 9, 2013

"Unity through laughter"

Film Synopsis:

ALOHAAAAA! Gabriel Iglesias is back, and this time he’s doing it Hawaiian style. The Comedy Central star is now showing any signs of slowing down after this amazing performance filmed in front of a packed house at the Hawaii Theatre. Aloha Fluffy is sure to be a comedy classic, making this extended and uncensored DVD a must-own.

My Take:

Internationally acclaimed comedian, Gabriel Iglesias, returns to Comedy Central with his brand-new one-hour stand-up special taped at Honolulu’s Hawaii Theatre Center. Watch as Fluffy brings the house down yet again with his unique and animated show that has made him popular among fans of all ages.

For those that may not have heard of Gabriel Iglesias here is a quote from his bio that I felt perfectly described the experience of watching him live:

Gabriel Iglesias has been described as unbelievably funny, electrifying, and a gifted performer who has the ability to consistently deliver a quality comedy experience in every venue he performs in. His high-octane show is a hilarious mixture of storytelling, parodies, characters and sound effects that bring all his personal issues to life. Gabe’s clean, animated comedy style has earned national crossover appeal.

Gabriel Iglesias is a hoot! His quick wit, sound effects and animated style reminds me of two of my favorite standup comedians, Bill Cosby and Sinbad. I love comics that draw from life’s awkwardly funny moments as well as experiences that would otherwise not really be something you might see as funny. He often makes references to his family in his act and pokes fun at personal hygiene, the Middle East, and invites a friend onstage to tell the story of a pretty funny practical joke. I found the bit about his stepson to be hysterical. “Aloha Fluffy… Gabriel Iglesias Live from Hawaii” will premiere in two parts on Comedy Central on April 7th and April 14the 2013. I am not an avid Comedy Central watcher but do catch some of the comic acts from time to time. Gabriel Iglesias is clean, funny and presents his standup routine so that the material seamlessly flows from one skit to the next. I watched it with my wife and two teenagers and we had a ball.

Parental Guide:

This performance is unrated and contains thematic material and references that would be inappropriate for young viewers.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Aloha Fluffy: Gabriel Iglesias live from Hawaii comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080i AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 15 Mbps and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This live onstage performance boasts vivid and pleasing colors that stand out well against the indoor and static imagery of the venue where it was filmed. Under the bright lights fleshtones appear a slightly washed out but lifelike. Resolution is primarily stable but can vary depending on the camera angle. Images are resolved well with notable detail rendering and appreciable depth. Blacks are stable but not noticeably strong but again this has more to do with the visual style of the video. I didn’t note any deleterious problems with the quality of the presentation as is exactly what you might expect of live recording like this.

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel soundtrack is open, clear, and easily conveys the dialogue heavy elements of the source. The running commentary is firmly entrenched in the center channel with the crowd/background noise bled to the left/right speakers and surrounds. This isn’t a particularly engaging audio presentation but it capably renders the recorded elements and sounds fine.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Fluffy presents: Alfred Robles – 7 minutes

• (HD) Encore: Magic Mike Story – 16 minutes

• (HD) Leonard’s/ Malasadas – 2 minute outtake

• (HD) Behind the scenes featurette – 25 minutes

Final Thoughts:

“Aloha Fluffy… Gabriel Iglesias Live from Hawaii” captures stand up funnyman Gabriel Iglesias at his best. I found his clean standup routine which is a mixture of storytelling, parodies, characters and sound effects to be perfectly timed and laugh out loud funny. This high definition Blu-ray presentation from Paramount Home Entertainment appears faithful to the program’s originally recorded elements and includes a solid supplemental package that is well worth checking out. If you enjoy a good standup act this is a must see.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
"Fluffy" can tell a story like nobody else, one can be crying tears of laughter and empathy at the same time. I've already set the DVR to catch this and will be adding the BD to my collection. Thanks for this review, Ralph, hope it turns a lot of people on to Gabriel's amazing talent.

Steve S.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-04-2013, 07:44 PM

Liked: 12
This will actually be a two part special on Comedy Central tarting this Sunday. I am looking so forward to it that I am going to buy it on Tuesday. I love his material and the way he delivers it.

post #4 of 5 Old 04-14-2013, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 329
What? No DTS NEO:X soundtrack? No sale!

J/K. I love Gabriel Iglesias, not too many standup comics can fill an entire show without making me fall asleep.

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo

ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED, QAV, AUVI & DownUnder Audio Magazine

my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre

post #5 of 5 Old 04-18-2013, 06:47 PM

Liked: 12
Im a huge Gabriel Iglesias fan but will admit that this one wasnt as funny to me as his previous two, but I still enjoyed it. I enjoyed the bonus footage of his Magic Mike experience more than his main content.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Gabriel Iglesias Aloha Fluffy Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page