Studio and Year: Universal - 1993
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 127 minutes
Genre: Sci-fi/Adventure/Horror

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1/MVC
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French DTS 5.1, Dolby Digital Plus 7.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Sam Neill, Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Richard Attenborough, Ariana Richards, Joseph Mazzello, Samuel L. Jackson, Wayne Knight, BD Wong
Directed by: Steven Spielberg
Music by: John Williams
Written by: Michael Crichton & David Koepp
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 23, 2013

"Welcome to Jurassic Park 3D"

Film Synopsis:

Experience one of the biggest films in motion picture history with director Steven Spielberg’s ultimate thrill ride, Jurassic Park, now in 3D! Featuring Academy Award® winning visual effects and groundbreaking filmmaking that has been hailed as “a triumph of special effects artistry” (Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times), this epic film is sheer movie-making magic that was 65 million years in the making. Jurassic Park takes you to an amazing theme park on a remote island where dinosaurs once again roam the Earth and five people must battle to survive among the prehistoric predators.

My Take:

I reviewed Jurassic Park as part of the Jurassic Park Trilogy Blu-ray release back in late 2011 (you can see that review HERE). I will include some of my comments from that that review here:

I have clear recollections of seeing Jurassic Park during its theatrical release back in 1993. I absolutely loved it. I went in expecting sci-fi horror about dinosaurs and got a wonderfully fulfilling and human story that blends memorable elements of levity, suspense and drama that are underscored by perfectly drawn characters (including the 30 foot tall T-Rex).Based upon Michael Crichton’s book the screenplay, which he co-wrote, expertly draws you in by establishing a viable connection to the characters of Ian, John, Ellie, and Alan which is then followed up by the integration of Alan’s initially reluctant, but essential bond formed with Tim and Lex. This serves as the foundation for some of the film’s best moments and in my opinion is one of the defining elements that set Jurassic Park apart from the other films in the series.

These are endearing characters that are brought to life not only through excellent writing but marvelous performances and spot on direction. There is no doubt that it is a “monster” movie however the focus remains on the richness of the human interaction which makes the characters feel genuine and easy to care about. At the time of its release Jurassic Park was a special effects extravaganza that blended digital effects, stop motion animation and a host of mechanized creations from Stan Winston’s Studio. I remember being blown away by the superb effects and sound which still hold up very well. For me, Jurassic Park is one of those movies with the ability to elicit the same reactions no matter how many times I watch it.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for intense sci-fi terror and violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 72

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Jurassic Park 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5.4 Mbps.

Jurassic Park wasn’t shot natively in 3D but was re-mastered/re-formatted in post- production by Burbank’s Stereo D (who also handled the 3D conversion of Titanic). Stylistically Jurassic Park isn’t the type of film that exudes bountiful textures, eye popping color or glossy resolution. Looking at it via this re-mastered 3D rendering that remains the case although there are differences versus the standard high definition presentation. The overall image is a bit darker (not solely due to the use of 3D glasses) with a slightly “processed” look that is more than likely attributable to the stereoscopic tweaking of the integrated effects along with what appears to be the application of digital noise reduction which diminishes the grain structure. The color timing appears to have been adjusted as well which accounts for a noticeably warmer chromatic aesthetic that most notably impacts fleshtones. The differences are obvious but more so when making comparisons between the 2D/3D. Contrast and shadow detail don’t appear adversely affected but again there are noteworthy differences that call fidelity into question.

In the terms of the post converted 3D I think the implementation enhances several of the film’s noteworthy set pieces. The first appearance of the T-Rex has added depth to bring out the falling rain, and a deeper sense of scale. The following segment which is probably my favorite 3D sequence is the jeep in the tree. The use of near field perspective draws out the trees limbs/leaves etc. while delineating the cascading jeep and Tim/Alan as they scurry to make it to the bottom. There are other examples mingled throughout. The added depth isn’t always natural as there are instances of characters/objects placed in the foreground that resemble cardboard cutouts but it’s fine. Occasionally flying debris, such as the shattered tree branch during the T-Rex/jeep chase, comes at the screen but there is little use of 3D effects that pop out into the room. As with the 2D Blu-ray video high definition dimensionality and apparent resolution is appreciable in close ups and brightly lit exterior sequences but it varies in limited lighting. This appears innate and is shared equally between both presentations. I enjoyed Jurassic Park in 3D although honestly I can’t say that I prefer to watch it that way. As it stood already it’s a rewarding high definition film experience on Blu-ray that continues to impress 20 years after its release. The addition of this tweaked 3D rendering is like adding icing to a cake that has already been iced.

Jurassic Park’s 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack runs the gamut between moments of simple spoken dialogue to dynamically charged sequences that deliver opulent surround sound. Vocal reproduction is excellent. Detail is first rate which brings out the finely articulated nuance of background elements. Dynamics are demonstrative as the active elements contained in the soundtrack pulsate with deep bass transients. John Williams’ music score/theme is carefully integrated into the sound design and sounds wonderfully detailed, acoustically transparent and dimensional. Surround use is prevalent and achieves a high level of envelopment that is appreciably involving. The soundstage both front and rear is effectively used to simulate off camera cues, integration of the onscreen action and to seamlessly create a stable and detail rich surround experience. Being more familiar with its soundtrack I heard details and minutia that I hadn’t noticed before which made it all more enjoyable.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 88

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

For further details on the 2D video quality see my Review of the Jurassic Park Trilogy.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• Jurassic Park 3D Blu-ray

• *NEW*(HD) 3D The world of Jurassic Park 3D – 8 minute featurette

• Disc 2:

• Jurassic Park Blu-ray

• (HD) Return to Jurassic Park: Dawn of a new era – 25 minute featurette

• (HD) Return to Jurassic Park: Making pre history – 20 minute featurette

• (HD) Return to Jurassic Park: The next step in evolution – 15 minute featurette

• Archival featurettes:

• The making of Jurassic Park – 49 minutes

• Original featurette on the making of the film – 4 minutes

• Steven Spielberg directs Jurassic Park – 9 minutes

• Hurricane in Kauai featurette – 2 minutes

• Behind the scenes features: Productions meetings, animatics, ILM/Jurassic Park (before and after visual effects), storyboards and more

• Theatrical trailer

• Jurassic Park – Making the game

• D-Box motion code enabled

• My scenes bookmark feature

• BD-Live access

• pocket BLU

• My Scenes Bookmark feature

• D-Box Motion Code enabled

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

I am most decidedly a Jurassic Park fan and find it to be a landmark film that never loses its luster even twenty years after its release. I appreciate the spirit behind Steven Spielberg’s desire to re-release it in 3D and despite some enjoyable aspects of the post conversion process I didn’t find the resultant imagery to positively reflect the original source which proved distracting. The film stands clearly on its own. As a fan of the 3D Blu-ray format I was curious to see how/if the implementation would improve upon the scope of Jurassic Park. As it turns out it added little. The film simply stands on its own. It comes to Blu-ray from Universal Studios Home Entertainment in this 3 disc combo pack that contains the 3D version of the film, along with an exclusive bonus feature, the previously released 2D version (and accompanying bonus material), DVD and Ultraviolet/Digital Copies. If you’re a diehard Jurassic Park/3D buff you’re probably going to want to check this out otherwise stick with the original Blu-ray version.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 10:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks Ralph. I will just stick with the 2011 Triliogy.

After seeing what Universal did with Jaws, I felt let down with this supposed remaster and 3D conversion(i know Jaws wasn't 3d). I was expecting some kind of color pop when the helicopter was flying to the island and when the island came into view, it just felt bland. I did like the smoother look to it. But overall PQ wise, I think better work could have been done with a little more color/vibrance to it. And watching it in the theater I felt 3D was there only in a few scenes, like the round table discussion part at dinner.

Cool Beans.
post #3 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
thanks, I'll just buy the 2011 version instead

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #4 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Is the 2D presentation the same as the 2011 release or is it struck from a new master?

fdsfds
post #5 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Riddle View Post

Is the 2D presentation the same as the 2011 release or is it struck from a new master?

The 2D version is indeed the same presentation from 2011 which in my opinion looked god awful. I converted the remastered 3D version to 2D and it has never looked better.

post #6 of 28 Old 04-16-2013, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 312
Thank you for this review. It's saved me from a disappointing night next week. Looks like they couldn't follow in titanic's footsteps.
post #7 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 08:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks Ralph.
You just saved me some money!
Will keep my 2011 Ultimate Collection instead.

post #8 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked: 24
The 3D remaster is significantly better looking than the 2011 2D master. People, just convert one eye from the 3D into a 2D version and you will have the ultimate JP copy.
post #9 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirMaster View Post

The 3D remaster is significantly better looking than the 2011 2D master. People, just convert one eye from the 3D into a 2D version and you will have the ultimate JP copy.

Not necessarily. Typically the 3D version has its brightness boosted to compensate for the loss of brightness when viewed through glasses. Also as others have pointed out, there is some cropping going on due to the 3D process. So until Universal decides to release a 2D version of the new master we are SOL.

post #10 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toknowshita View Post

Not necessarily. Typically the 3D version has its brightness boosted to compensate for the loss of brightness when viewed through glasses. Also as others have pointed out, there is some cropping going on due to the 3D process. So until Universal decides to release a 2D version of the new master we are SOL.

I have noticed no such cropping after converting to 2D.

post #11 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 716

I saw Jurassic Park in Imax 3D last night, and I agree with Ralph in almost every respect. The image was rather dim (especially surprising given that Imax 3D uses two projectors), and objects in motion, particularly those in front of the screen plane, were less distinct than they are in 2D. Also, I definitely noticed a few shots with the "cardboard cutout" effect. I hadn't seen the original in a long time, so I couldn't easily judge the changes in color timing, but I went with my friend and colleague Tom Norton, who had watched it recently, and he said the color was off, tending toward red.

However, despite these shortcomings, I found the 3D to be very effective and enjoyable overall. In addition to the Jeep falling through the trees and the T. rex chase scene, I thought the sweeping, expansive landscapes were beautifully rendered, as were the helicopter shots, and many other shots seemed ideally suited to 3D. I think Stereo D did a great job with JP and Titanic, but not with G.I. Joe, which just goes to show that the conversion company is not in charge of the final product.

Scott Wilkinson
AVS Editor
post #12 of 28 Old 04-17-2013, 08:30 PM

There's a screenshot comparison of the 3D Blu-ray and the 2D Blu-ray from 2011 at caps-a-holic. In my opinion it looks bad. And what happened here?
post #13 of 28 Old 04-18-2013, 02:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wilkinson View Post

I saw Jurassic Park in Imax 3D last night, and I agree with Ralph in almost every respect. The image was rather dim (especially surprising given that Imax 3D uses two projectors), and objects in motion, particularly those in front of the screen plane, were less distinct than they are in 2D. Also, I definitely noticed a few shots with the "cardboard cutout" effect. I hadn't seen the original in a long time, so I couldn't easily judge the changes in color timing, but I went with my friend and colleague Tom Norton, who had watched it recently, and he said the color was off, tending toward red.

However, despite these shortcomings, I found the 3D to be very effective and enjoyable overall. In addition to the Jeep falling through the trees and the T. rex chase scene, I thought the sweeping, expansive landscapes were beautifully rendered, as were the helicopter shots, and many other shots seemed ideally suited to 3D. I think Stereo D did a great job with JP and Titanic, but not with G.I. Joe, which just goes to show that the conversion company is not in charge of the final product.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your impressions of the 3D IMAX presentation Scott. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #14 of 28 Old 04-18-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4LOM View Post

There's a screenshot comparison of the 3D Blu-ray and the 2D Blu-ray from 2011 at caps-a-holic. In my opinion it looks bad. And what happened here?

a picture is worth a thousand words. Thanks for posting that.
post #15 of 28 Old 04-18-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 24
Having seen both I still prefer the look up the 3D remaster. The film seems significantly cleaned up.

http://cdn.avsforum.com/9/93/935bb2ca_jurassicpark3dquicktime.jpeg
post #16 of 28 Old 04-18-2013, 11:57 PM

Liked: 12
How can you give a Blu-ray with so much DNR such a high rating for "Resolution/Clarity" ???
post #17 of 28 Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoergosum View Post

How can you give a Blu-ray with so much DNR such a high rating for "Resolution/Clarity" ???

Greetings,

That rating was an oversight. I have made the correct and updated the overall rating to reflect that. Thanks much for pointing it out! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #18 of 28 Old 04-23-2013, 05:41 PM

Liked: 11
Well, just got it in the mail. Popped in the disc, straight to the t-rex scene in the explorers. WOW! Ive seen the movie before and this was scaring me all over again. Ive seen alot of 3d content on my panny, but if the rest of this movie is as good as what i just saw, very well done! Im speaking for myself, but i felt like i was inside of the explorer with them. Im happy with the buy smile.gif
post #19 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosoxfan View Post

Well, just got it in the mail. Popped in the disc, straight to the t-rex scene in the explorers. WOW! Ive seen the movie before and this was scaring me all over again. Ive seen alot of 3d content on my panny, but if the rest of this movie is as good as what i just saw, very well done! Im speaking for myself, but i felt like i was inside of the explorer with them. Im happy with the buy smile.gif

Greetings,

Great to hear bosoxfan. Enjoy! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #20 of 28 Old 04-24-2013, 03:17 PM

Does anyone else feel like there should be an in-between version? In 2d that is...

The 3d version, which impressed me greatly in imax, does have some DNR and color timing issues, but look at the 3d bluray:

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=21068&cap2=3014&art=full&image=13&cID=1633&action=1&lossless=

That scene is clearly over brightened on the 3d bluray. There's no real darkness anywhere. As noise reduced as the 3d version is, it looks better to me overall. But if there was a 3d version with the contrast/brightness of the 3d version and color timing in between it would look more proper to me. That goes for almost every comparison I do...

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=21067&cap2=3015&art=full&image=12&cID=1633&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

There, the grass and forest look too blue/green tinted, and again with the contrast/brightness. The 3d version looks much more natural. A bit too orange, yes, but more real than the 2d in my opinion...

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/comparison.php?cap1=21065&cap2=3017&art=full&image=10&cID=1633&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

And here, again the overall color looks better in the 3d version. The 3d looks natural although a bit orange. The 2d looks overly purple/blue tinted and off contrast. Again, in between would be best in my opinion. There are scenes as well, such as in the helicopter, where the 3d version sky lacks all detail from blown out contrast, while the 3d has a bit of cloud detail. That makes me think the boosted the contrast for the bluray 2d version. So while it seems odd when comparing them, I think the 3d is probably more accurate overall color timing and contrast. I saw it in the theater and didn't think it looked off, but looking at the 3d bluray it always seems off... Just my thoughts on it. I also only thought "ew noise reduction" a few times, even though the whole movie is plastered in it. It almost seems like they used a better DNR algorithm or something which seems to retain most of the detail unlike typical dnr... not sure...
post #21 of 28 Old 04-25-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

all the rave reviews at amazon, as well as the price drop, have made me reconsider and decide to hop back on and buy this one again biggrin.gif
post #22 of 28 Old 04-26-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

all the rave reviews at amazon, as well as the price drop, have made me reconsider and decide to hop back on and buy this one again biggrin.gif

STreamed it in 3D yesterday...thought it was fine with both depth and (for the most part) detail.

post #23 of 28 Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

I take it all back! I bought it, watched it, and it was truly one of the best 3d experiences I've had on my home screen. Dated movie and DNR made no difference to my enjoyment on this one. The depth was spectacular!!
post #24 of 28 Old 04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Thanks for the review, Ralph! I was going to pass on this one, especially considering your low 3D score, but if the price should drop low enough, I might just give it a spin for the 3D experience alone, as I have the 2D release already.

oz
post #25 of 28 Old 04-29-2013, 05:31 PM

I too thought the 3d was fantastic, and the new sound mix is terrific...the T-Rex roar definitely got my heart thumping..awesome disc, well worth the wait!

My Theater Gallery
Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #26 of 28 Old 05-03-2013, 01:40 PM

I purchased this bad boy on sale. My girlfriend and I love the original and having missed the 3D at IMAX, we decided to purchase this. Mixed reviews overall, but it clearly sounds like it is a movie to experience and enjoy.
post #27 of 28 Old 06-03-2013, 09:33 PM

Liked: 13
I just got this over the weekend and enjoyed watching it with my wife last evening. The picture quality was great. This was the first time I'd seen the film on Bluray so I don't recall ever having seen it looking this nice. The 3D conversion was not on the level with Titanic in my opinion but was still a lot of fun. A few scenes in particular really take nice advantage of it. It just isn't consistently great. The real highlight seemed to be the updated audio track, which had some fun directional moments throughout. I'd say this is definitely worth having if you're a fan of the movie and/or 3D in the living room =)
post #28 of 28 Old 06-08-2013, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronTV View Post

I just got this over the weekend and enjoyed watching it with my wife last evening. The picture quality was great. This was the first time I'd seen the film on Bluray so I don't recall ever having seen it looking this nice. The 3D conversion was not on the level with Titanic in my opinion but was still a lot of fun. A few scenes in particular really take nice advantage of it. It just isn't consistently great. The real highlight seemed to be the updated audio track, which had some fun directional moments throughout. I'd say this is definitely worth having if you're a fan of the movie and/or 3D in the living room =)

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Aaron and I am glad that you enjoyed Jurassic Park 3D. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jurassic Park 3d 3d Blu Ray Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet , Jurassic Park Ultimate Trilogy Blu Ray Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page