Studio and Year: Paramount – 2012
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 130 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.35:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish, French, Portuguese
Starring: Tom Cruise, Rosemund Pike, Richard Jenkins, Werner Herzog, David Oyelowo, Robert Duvall
Written & Directed by: Christopher McQuarrie
Music by: Joe Kraemer
Based on the book: “One Shot” by Lee Child
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 7, 2013

"The law has limits. He does not…"

Film Synopsis:

Ex-military investigator Jack Reacher (Tom Cruise) leaps off the pages of Lee Child’s bestselling novel and onto the big screen in the explosive thriller the critics are calling “taut, muscular, gruff and cool”*. When an unspeakable crime is committed, all evidence points to the suspect in custody who offers up a single note in defense: “Get Jack Reacher!” The law has its limits, but Reacher does not when his fight for the truth pits him against an unexpected enemy with a skill for violence and a secret to keep.

My Take:

Six shots five dead, a city thrown into a state of terror. But within hours the cops have it solved: a slam-dunk case, except for one thing. When the accused man is captured and questioned his lone remark is: Get Jack Reacher. A ghost, drifter and former ex-military investigator Jack Reacher only appears on the grid under his terms. When he sees this case in the news he knows this shooter, a trained military sniper, would never have missed a shot. Reacher is certain something is not right-and soon the slam-dunk case explodes. Now Reacher is teamed with a beautiful young defense lawyer, moving closer to an unseen enemy who is pulling the strings. Reacher knows that no two opponents are created equal. This one has come to the heartland from his particular kind of hell. Reacher knows all too well that the only way to take him down is to match his ruthlessness and cunning and then beat him shot for shot.

Jack Reacheris a fictional character and the protagonist of a series of books by British author Lee Child (real name Jim Grant). The film is based on the book “One shot” and follows Reacher as he becomes embroiled in a dangerous game of cat and mouse after five seemingly random victims are gunned down in park by a sniper. The case is quickly solved by the police with seemingly incontrovertible evidence. That is to everyone but the defendant’s lawyer and Reacher. Of course things are in fact not what they seem and it is up to Reacher to draw out those responsible.

I had no prior knowledge of this character before hearing about the film but as someone that tends to like this genre as well Tom Cruise’s movies I looked forward to checking it out when it came to Blu-ray. Jack Reacher is more or less a crime/mystery thriller with integrated elements of action. I like the character and despite not necessarily meeting his physical characteristics (from what I have read) enjoyed Tom Cruise in the role. The film is more or less a crime story blended with elements of mystery and action. There is more action than mystery and it’s executed on a level that you would expect featuring hand to hand style fight sequences, a decent car chase and a little gun play.

As for the story it is a solid formula-driven piece that plays well to Tom Cruise’s strengths as a marquee action star. Writer/director Christopher McQuarrie keeps things on point and draws us into Reacher’s world via an edgy over the top narrative driven by establishing a baseline for the character. It’s a little showy and features typical laws of physics subterfuge but there is enough meat to the plot and depth in the supporting cast to make it entertaining. I am not sure if this is the beginning of a Jack Reacher film series but I like the character and would be interested in seeing what the future holds.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for violence, language and some drug material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Jack Reacher comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 5 Mbps.

This is a high quality video presentation that seems a perfect match for the source material. Colors are deeply saturated with eye pleasing vitality and delineated depth. Images are resolute and filmic, with stable sharpness, crisp detail and appreciable subtle refinement. Certain scenes appeared better resolved than others although this appears related to the photography and not the encoding. Contrast is dynamically applied without being overpowering and blacks are respectably deep with discernible detail in low lighting and shadows. I didn’t see any signs of video related artifacts and thought that in general video quality was excellent.

The is a terrific DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack that features crystal clear dialogue, powerful dynamics and a subtly aggressive and involving surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds that created a realistic and occasionally immersive listening environment. This worked hand in hand with film’s music, and thematic elements to build tension and help drive the story. Evidence of this can be heard in the extended car chase sequence as the growl of the Chevy muscle car’s 8 cylinders fills the soundstage and later the low level punch of gunfire can be felt throughout the room. Be sure to turn this one up when the action kicks in.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by Tom Cruise and director Christopher McQuarrie

• Audio commentary by composer Joe Kraemer

• (HD) When the man comes around – 26 minute featurette

• You don’t mess with Jack Reacher: Combat and weapons – 10 minute production featurette

• (HD) The Reacher phenomenon – 11 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Pulled from the pages of author Lee Child’s popular book series (specifically the book “One shot”) Jack Reacher is an entertaining formula-driven crime/action thriller that plays well to the strengths of star Tom Cruise. It comes to Blu-ray Disc featuring reference quality high definition audio/video and above average bonus supplements that offer insights from the cast, filmmakers and author Lee Child. While Jack Reacher may not be the action extravaganza some viewers may expect it is a solid genre entry that capably brings the characters to the big screen. I liked it and look forward to giving it another spin on this top notch Blu-ray release from Paramount Home Entertainment.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
e08 and montybritton like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
CIH USER

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
thanks for the review Ralph looking forward in picking this up.

Frank

post #3 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I really liked this in the theater and I will be picking this up for sure.

It ain't easy being green.
My System
post #4 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Yeah, I enjoyed it in the theater too, even though I thought I wouldn't like it, judging by the movie trailer. I will probably purchase on Blu ray..
post #5 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Yep, picking this one up for sure. Hope they due a triliogy like Bourne series.

Cool Beans.
post #6 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 369
thanks for the great review!
post #7 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 10:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thanks Ralph!

post #8 of 53 Old 04-22-2013, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 78

Great review Ralph ... we miss you in the Anthem D2v/50v forum. Its been along while since you visited ussmile.gif!

How to phase match subwoofers to the mains speakers: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post19542630
post #9 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 12:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
MIght have to rent this one. Nice review Ralph.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #10 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmusoke View Post

Great review Ralph ... we miss you in the Anthem D2v/50v forum. Its been along while since you visited us:) !

Greetings,

Thanks dmusoke. I do check in there from time to time but haven't got much to offer. I have fond memories of owning Anthem products...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #11 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 05:13 AM
e08

Thank you very much Ralph for the review, was direct and to the point.

I'm soon to get my calibration great from Spectracal and it sounds like this BRD is worth grabbing just for the great quality visuals to test my TV.

That aside, I really wanted to see this at the cinema but the missus can't stand Tom Cruise (I personally really enjoy his acting) so I had to pass it up. Now is my time to see it!

Hayden.

~ Hayden

Sorry for any typos or bad grammar, I am Dyslexic.

Sony XBR-HX929, Sony Playstation 3 (Slim 160GB), i1 Display Pro OEM, CalMAN Enthusiast.
post #12 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Another automatic buy for me, nice review Ralph and great to hear that we have another audio/video showcase, here.

I could care less what people think about Cruise, he's almost certainly been in more entertaining, infinitely "re-watchable" films than anyone in the last 30 years. His IMDB film list largely reads like a freaking All Star Game roster.

Tom Cruise hype session over, lol.

James
e08 likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #13 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 06:50 AM

Liked: 10
Nice information, Ralph.

I am getting this one on the release date. Loved the car chase in this movie. One of the top five ever on screen. I can't wait to hear and see it on my theater!
post #14 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Another blind buy, Ralph?! I'm telling you, man! tongue.gifwink.gifbiggrin.gif
post #15 of 53 Old 04-23-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Officer Potts, the light was yellow. eek.gif

Ralph, you may want to start to look into profiling your display using a large (3375 points or more) LUT cube type of calibration. Or at-least a 125 point 3D LUT cube calibration.

btw, This film is just one more blind buy per your review.

ss
post #16 of 53 Old 04-24-2013, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

Officer Potts, the light was yellow. eek.gif

Ralph, you may want to start to look into profiling your display using a large (3375 points or more) LUT cube type of calibration. Or at-least a 125 point 3D LUT cube calibration.

btw, This film is just one more blind buy per your review.

ss

Greetings,

Sounds good. Thanks ss! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #17 of 53 Old 04-24-2013, 02:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked: 838
I havent seen it yet but Im a big fan of the books. Real shame that they hired a 5'4" 160lb actor to play a 6'5" 265lb character. Id like to know who made the decision to cast a midget to play a giant. Jack Reacher is a very big guy and Child really stresses this fact throughout the books. He intimidates people just by walking into a room. I hope the movie at least holds true to the character of Reacher because its a great one.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #18 of 53 Old 04-24-2013, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Good enjoyable popcorn movie for sure! Thanks Ralph for your review

\m/ Hook'em Horns!

==========
Work for a Cause, Not for Applause. Live Life to Express, Not to Impress.
Don’t Strive to make your Presence Noticed,
Just make your Absence Felt. -Unknown
post #19 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 02:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I havent seen it yet but Im a big fan of the books. Real shame that they hired a 5'4" 160lb actor to play a 6'5" 265lb character. Id like to know who made the decision to cast a midget to play a giant. Jack Reacher is a very big guy and Child really stresses this fact throughout the books. He intimidates people just by walking into a room. I hope the movie at least holds true to the character of Reacher because its a great one.
Cruise is actually 5 foot 7 in. but I see your point. perhaps The Rock would be closer to what Child intended.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #20 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

I am about half way thru the first book of the Reacher series. So far Child hasn't really said anything about Reacher being intimidating in size or character. He certainly hasn't pointed out anything about his height or build that would suggest he was anything more than a normal guy. Maybe this comes along in later books (I'm reading Kill Floor). I believe Child has even gone on record saying he was happy with the choice of Cruise in the role.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Click Here To See My Current Setup
post #21 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering View Post

I am about half way thru the first book of the Reacher series. So far Child hasn't really said anything about Reacher being intimidating in size or character. He certainly hasn't pointed out anything about his height or build that would suggest he was anything more than a normal guy. Maybe this comes along in later books (I'm reading Kill Floor). I believe Child has even gone on record saying he was happy with the choice of Cruise in the role.
Its "Killing Floor". Youll see.

post #22 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Cruise is actually 5 foot 7 in. but I see your point. perhaps The Rock would be closer to what Child intended.

Yeah but the Dwayne "The Rock "Johnson can't act all that well though.

Want to see this one, Thanks for the review Ralph.

Djoel
post #23 of 53 Old 04-25-2013, 10:50 PM

Thanks Ralph.
post #24 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Big fan of the books so this is a must buy for me. smile.gif

Bob

post #25 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Big fan of the books so this is a must buy for me. smile.gif
I love the books too. What do you think of them casting Cruise as Reacher?

post #26 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Excellent movie!
post #27 of 53 Old 04-26-2013, 09:11 PM

Love the car chase, the chevelle engine sound was awesome!!!
post #28 of 53 Old 04-27-2013, 11:29 AM

Huge fan of Lee Child and was disappointed when they had cast Tom Cruise as the lead, but i saw this a couple of nights ago and I thought he did a pretty good job of representing Jack even though the physical characteristics decribed in the book hardly matches T. Cruise. Glad to have it in my collection and actually hoping for more Jack Reacher movies.
post #29 of 53 Old 04-27-2013, 09:49 PM
AVS Special Member

This film wasn't bad, but there were a couple of things that just didn't seem to fit.

First and foremost, Reacher was an ex-Army MP, it's not like he was CID or anything. Where did he get his investigative skills from?

And I didn't care at all for the bathroom fight scene. Was that supposed to be serious, or more of a 3-Stooges type scene? It just felt out of place for a more serious thriller

And Ralph, this line from your review didn't make sense:

When he sees this case in the news he knows this shooter, a trained military sniper, would never have missed a shot.

I'm pretty sure Reacher stated that he was an average sniper, not the best, nor the worst. He came looking for him because of his promise.

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #30 of 53 Old 04-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

Your comments have peaked my interest so it's now on my wish list. Will report back after checking out...

oz
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jack Reacher Two Disc Blu Ray Dvd Combo Digital Copy Ultraviolet

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page