post #31 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

To me Unforgiven (1992) is kind of the final western. After that i lost my interest in the gerne.

I would not call Django a true Western myself .. and if you missed the following, they are all worth a watch ..

Open Range , 3:10 to Yuma (remake), The Assassination of Jesse James , True Grit (remake)

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I would not call Django a true Western myself .. and if you missed the following, they are all worth a watch ..

Open Range , 3:10 to Yuma (remake), The Assassination of Jesse James , True Grit (remake)

Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that Tarantino referred to it as a "southern" rather than a western, and I agree with you regarding the additional titles posted above.

oz
post #33 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 187
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn 

I've seen 3:10 to Yuma, the other ones i am not interested in. I do own The Big Lebowski blu-ray smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar 
Yeah, I remember reading somewhere that Tarantino referred to it as a "southern" rather than a western, and I agree with you regarding the additional titles posted above.
o
Tarantino on Django Unchained

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2260197/Quentin-Tarantino-Django-Unchained-The-story-Western.html
post #34 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

3:10 to Yuma (remake)

I wasn't a huge fan of that remake. I thought it was well done production-wise, but the content left a lot to be desired.
post #35 of 49 Old 05-02-2013, 07:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

I have been to Mississippi many times and the locale in DU could definitely be Mississippi

Really? rolleyes.gif

I had driven through / visited MS at least 50 times. Anywhere from Vicksburg (top 3 NMP IMO) to Meridian, Corinth to Natchez on Natchez Trace Parkway (not as scenic as BRP, but it has its charms), home of Elvis and Oxford (very charming town) down to the coast and Biloxi, many times from Jackson to Hattiesburg on the way to AL and anywhere between.
I missed in DU the lushes pine forest on central MS, the rolling hills on north, the farms all over, lakes and oh the big river the state has as its name.

DU and California; you bet. DU and MS; nice try, but no cigar.
post #36 of 49 Old 05-02-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

Really? rolleyes.gif

I had driven through / visited MS at least 50 times. Anywhere from Vicksburg (top 3 NMP IMO) to Meridian, Corinth to Natchez on Natchez Trace Parkway (not as scenic as BRP, but it has its charms), home of Elvis and Oxford (very charming town) down to the coast and Biloxi, many times from Jackson to Hattiesburg on the way to AL and anywhere between.
I missed in DU the lushes pine forest on central MS, the rolling hills on north, the farms all over, lakes and oh the big river the state has as its name.

If you insist, which apparently you do .. I did not state it was filmed in Mississippi .. I said it could be Mississippi .. so yes, really .. rolleyes.gif

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #37 of 49 Old 05-02-2013, 11:51 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

Really? rolleyes.gif

Well, your right. It wasn't filmed in Mississippi. Much of it was filmed in Louisiana! The plantation is the Evergreen Plantation is Edgard, LA (Big Daddy's (Don Johnson) house and Candieland's slave quarters)
The snow? Jackson Hole, WY (obviously not Mississippi)
The scene post-capture with the miners? That is obviously the mountains north of Los Angeles.
The dusty town they go through in the beginning of the movie? That's a set outside Santa Clarita, CA (it was also Deadwood, and Gunsmoke)

Off the top of my head, I'd say 45% of the outdoor shots were CA, 45% Louisiana, 10% Wyoming.

They also used sound stages in New Orleans, but being interior shots, thats neither here nor there
post #38 of 49 Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

the two Italian western spoof movies from the early 70's with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.
If you have ever seen the two Trinity series movie's you will understand better why the sound track is the way it is, only this time around the sound track is made in DTS HD-MA 5.1..
good point. Funny, having grown-up (a teenager) during the early 1970's I sort of (sub-consciously) recognized that "pronounced" sound-track mix style. I believe the two films you're referencing- "They Call Me Trinity", and "Trinity Is STILL My Name!"
post #39 of 49 Old 05-03-2013, 08:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastD View Post

good point. Funny, having grown-up (a teenager) during the early 1970's I sort of (sub-consciously) recognized that "pronounced" sound-track mix style. I believe the two films you're referencing- "They Call Me Trinity", and "Trinity Is STILL My Name!"

Yes those are the two I am referencing.

ss
post #40 of 49 Old 05-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw this a week ago, and really enjoyed it. Great story, great characters, awesome dialogue. Will get it again and watch it on my system so I can hear it on my new Yamaha RX-A720 smile.gif
post #41 of 49 Old 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I loved the movie, though I am a huge Tarantino fan. I thought the story was good, and of course it was "Tarantino gory"!

As to the technical side of the movie, I thought the surround sound was very good and well balanced.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that I bought all this "stuff" to enjoy it!
post #42 of 49 Old 05-06-2013, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Loved the Bruce Dern cameo.

For me Tarantino rarely disappoints and Django Unchained is no exception.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #43 of 49 Old 05-07-2013, 11:12 AM

Liked: 10
it was actually filmed here in new orleans. I worked on the film in art department. some of the movie was shot in audobon park. some was shot near slidel, LA at fort pike (pre civial war fort)
post #44 of 49 Old 05-10-2013, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Enjoyed it quite a bit except it seemed like there were two or three endings on top of each other making the film about a 1/2 hour too long... Boring!

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #45 of 49 Old 06-23-2013, 08:33 AM

Liked: 14
Finally got around to watching this epic. Loved it despite the tarantinoesque gore and length. Splendid performances from all involved especially Waltz, Fox and Jackson. Cinematography was splendid accurately displayed by the high picture quality of the Blu-ray. Wasn't too impressed with the sound, thought dialog was often drowned out by background music/ambient sounds.
Djoel likes this.
post #46 of 49 Old 07-22-2013, 11:53 AM

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfixitBIG View Post
Quentin's movies really do use the whole sound field. Noticed it on this movie, then heard it again today on "Kill Bill".

Like Pulp Fiction before (at the top of my list of top 10 films), the sound mix was very well done here. It added a very convincing immersive texture to the story.

The violence was way over the top at times as was the historical accuracy of the torture methods used. Being a native of the South, I was relieved to find that many of these elements had been wholly made up or greatly exaggerated. The plight of blacks during this time was horrific enough without need of gratuitous embellishment. I realize this is a work of fiction, but I fear that it could only serve to fan the flames of what's already a powderkeg issue with respect to race relations.

Also, the pacing of the movie drug along at times when compared to the mastery that Tarantino displayed with Pulp.

Beyond those points of criticism, I found the film to be a representative example of Tarantino's unique ability to mix engrossing drama, comedy and intellectually satisfying dialogue.

My Blog > World's Fastest Website | Vizio Owners Guide | Vizio Calibration (updated)

My Equipment: 70" Vizio M-Series | Directv HR34-700 | Denon AVR-591 | Harmony Smart Control | Samsung LNT-5265 | PS3
post #47 of 49 Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vestaviascott View Post

The violence was way over the top at times as was the historical accuracy of the torture methods used. Being a native of the South, I was relieved to find that many of these elements had been wholly made up or greatly exaggerated. The plight of blacks during this time was horrific enough without need of gratuitous embellishment. I realize this is a work of fiction, but I fear that it could only serve to fan the flames of what's already a powderkeg issue with respect to race relations.

I think most folks can separate a movie from race relations ..
slimm likes this.

post #48 of 49 Old 08-04-2013, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Finally had a chance to view this film and it had all the things you would expect from a film Tarantino over the top violence,and acting but its made his past films very enjoyable and relevant in my opinion but this one just didn't grab me. Most movies are long these days but this one was just to much for my taste at times I was thinking its the end and then a twist was added. It was fun watching Jackson ,Waltz and Foxx take the characters to extremes although Jackson does it in most films lol!!!! and the quicker cameos scenes were funny with Jona and Don Johnson and many others.

The video quality was OK but I did find the colors a bit over saturated at times then very flat on other scenes but this is probably meant to be this way.

Th sound was disappointing mainly because I found myself turning up the volume well past my normal settings to hear the actors speaking but the music soundtrack would then seem louder especially from the rear.The sound effects didn't have nearly the impact I was expecting from gun play to explosions but I could be spoiled from some other action films and again maybe it was meant to be this way.

My opinion is this film was not up there with his best stuff of Pulp Fiction,Kill Bill but its still worth a spin with some popcorn and soda.
post #49 of 49 Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM

Liked: 23
Overall I really enjoyed the movie. Got it on blu ray over the weekend from Netflix. It was a classic Tarantino film, with the violence and style of blood, etc. Overall I thought it was well done, I found it to be a bit too long for my taste and felt it could have been sped up without losing anything. The characters were fun though, loved the use of secondary characters, and I found myself laughing at the different dialogue, and situations they sometimes found themselves in.

While not a movie I would purchase, it was fun, well scripted, with both fun and a few serious moments. I found the video to be great, though I found the dialogue to be a bit low on my system, could just be I don't have things dialed in yet though.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Django Unchained Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page