Studio and Year: The Weinstein Company- 2012
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 165 minutes
Genre: Drama, Action, Western

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French & Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Jamie Foxx, Christoph Waltz, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kerry Washington, Samuel L. Jackson
Directed by: Quentin Tarantino
Written by: Quentin Tarantino
Music by: Luis Enriquez Bacalov (Theme)
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 16, 2013

"The 'D' is Silent. Payback Won't Be."

Film Synopsis:

With the help of a German bounty hunter, a freed slave sets out to rescue his wife from a brutal Mississippi plantation owner.

My Take:

Django Unchained is Quentin Tarentino’s first film since the 2010 passing of his editor Sally Menke at the age of 56. She had edited all of his films from 1992's Reservoir Dogs to 2009's Inglorious Basterds. I was very curious to see how much of the pacing and control of Tarentino’s non-traditional structure she had. Luckily Menke’s assistant editor for Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2, Fred Raskin, stepped in and did a superb job honoring her talents doing a great job assembling the pieces of this film.

The films plot is a simple one. It is the story of the titular Django (Jamie Foxx), who after getting separated from his wife Broomhilda (Kerry Washington), gets freed by dentist turned bounty hunter, Dr. King Schultz (Christoph Waltz). After becoming quite the gunslinger under Schultz’s tutelage, Django and Shultz set out to rescue Broomhilda from Mississippi plantation owner Calvin Candie (Leonardo DiCaprio).

As in all Tarentino stories it’s not just the main characters and their story arcs that bring the world to life, it is also a thickly built layer of secondary characters and sub-plots that make his close to 3 hour films so engaging. Django Unchained is one of my favorite Tarantino films, possibly his most mature, and sits at number three behind Pulp Fiction & Inglorious Basterds.

Django Unchained has all the Tarantino requisites like witty banter (actually there are some of his best lines in this one), unrelenting violence and characters so different to what we are used to they just beg to be watched and suck you in as much as his amazingly fresh and well fleshed-out stories. Django opened to and up some controversy surrounding historical inaccuracies as well as criticism on its take on slavery, almost like he wasn’t paying proper respect to the time and the peoples plight. To them I say CHILL OUT and look up the definition of the word Fiction and enjoy this 3 hour escape…you need it.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for strong graphic violence throughout, language and some nudity

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Django Unchained comes to Blu-ray from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 22.5 mbps and DTS HD-MA 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 mbps

Anchor Bay delivers yet another high quality new release transfer with its Blu-ray of Django Unchained. The 1080p 2.40:1 image had a fun color palette that was often pushed a bit far, from cold to warm, however it all worked well and the films copious blood spill popped impressively. Great shadow detail and reference black levels coupled with impressive delineation on even the finest details helped enhance the films depth of field, which at times rendered foreground from background with a three dimensional feel. There are moments of intentional softness, which is an artistic choice, as the film does play with many different looks and moods.

The Lossless DTS-HD MA audio track was justifiably aggressive, with noticeable dynamic peaks and some, at times, booty shaking LFE. The surround channels were used heavily, enhancing the world on screen, however, I did notice a few times they seemed to pull me away with too much focus. Dialogue was consistent and the front sound-stage seemed pin-point accurate. This is all-in-all a pleasing track, but not a complete reference experience.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Remembering J. Michael Riva: The Production Design of Django Unchained

• (HD) Reimagining the Spaghetti Western: The Horses and Stunts of Django Unchained

• (HD) The Costume Designs of Sharen Davis

• (HD) Tarantino XX Blu-ray Collection Promo

• (HD) Django Unchained Soundtrack Promo

• DVD Copy

• Digital Copy

• UV Copy

Final Thoughts:

Django Unchained was an impressive ride that solidified (if we even needed that) Tarantino’s unrelenting love for exploitation cinema and his knack of taking any genre and throwing it in his own exploitation blender. DeCaprio and Waltz, the latter whom won Best Actor for his role, are amazing here, as are all the performances Mr. Tarantino channels from his actors. My only gripe is the skimpy bit of extras, I wanted more, and of course, wanted a directors commentary. Fans must have seen this by now, and probably have it on Blu-ray, but if you had any question in your mind, go for it…it’s worth it.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review, Lee! cool.gif

I enjoyed this one as well and look forward to some repeat viewings. It started off a bit slow for me, but kept picking up in pace all the way through and was moving like a freight train by the time the climax arrived. I was very happy with the way the story ended and I'm very glad to have this in my collection.

Note: it's likely to be too violent and bloody for some viewers.

oz
post #3 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

...just wanted to quickly add that my wife was in another room when I watched this and she said it sounded far too violent for her to watch! frown.gif

oz
post #4 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 129
I just bought it this week and watched it, disappointed it was only in 5.1 and not 7.1 !! The sound (and movie) was great though.
post #5 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Something I've found with pretty much all of Tarentino's films is that they don't appear interesting to me if I see only a trailer for the movie, or just a bit of the film, but if I sit down and watch his movies from beginning to end, they are great. This caused me to miss all of his early work until much later, but once I figured this out with Inglourious Basterds, I've gone back and watched his older stuff and enjoyed them very much. The same thing happened with Django Unchained... the trailers didn't interest me, but I felt completely different after seeing the entire film.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLBURNSIDE View Post

I just bought it this week and watched it, disappointed it was only in 5.1 and not 7.1 !! The sound (and movie) was great though.

Yeah, I've got to agree that 7.1 audio would have been really nice in this film.

oz
post #6 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I loved this movie very much! But when I seen it in theaters I thought the audio was weak and for me it's the same on BD. Not that I thought it sounded bad it's just the gunshots did not sound dynamic. Music score did sound great tho.
kkirsche likes this.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #7 of 49 Old 04-28-2013, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quentin's movies really do use the whole sound field. Noticed it on this movie, then heard it again today on "Kill Bill".

John Burton

post #8 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 12:10 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not having watched the credits I didn't realize that Tarantino used "Broomhilda" instead of "Brunhilde".

I loved the Austrian actor. What an instant classic his role is.
post #9 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 01:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
The first half of Django is brilliant, the second half is crap. Tarantino's first 3 films - Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction, and Jackie Brown - were all great, with powerful, unforgettable endings. Django, just like Kill Bill and Inglorious Basterds, is a mess. Overlong, suffering from a ridiculous and predictable ending, self-indulgent to the extreme, it continues the gradual infantilization of the most talented of American directors.

R
post #10 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I don't care for over the top violence or language. Yet, somehow, I always like QT. Django was no exception. I loved everything about it until I read Raz's comments above, and do have to agree with the self indulgence comments. Regardless, the acting from DiCaprio and Waltz would both be my nominations for best actor last year (yes, over Danial Day Lewis). Some of Samual Jackson's best work too!

The "Twinseltown" Theater
Construction Thread
post #11 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 408
I really liked this movie, it's going to have a twisted plot and violence, after all it is a Tarantino movie.
post #12 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IfixitBIG View Post

Quentin's movies really do use the whole sound field. Noticed it on this movie, then heard it again today on "Kill Bill".

Hi, the audio being a little "off" so to speak, appears to be one of his traits to match the style of movies he makes. So yes I've noticed this in his other movies also. Rather than it being bad audio I believe it's done purposely. Is that the way you see it?
post #13 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

I also totally disagree with a comment made above about this movie being predictable. Don't forget there have been a gazzilion westerns made and
most of them were predictable. The way he put his spin on yet another western just goes to show how brilliant Tarantino is. It is and has been for a couple of weeks already on IMDB's top 50 highest rated films list.
post #14 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 82
I'll be getting this one for sure!!! cool.gif
post #15 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 11:20 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1035 Post(s)
Liked: 2183

Django unchained is definitely one of the best flicks I've seen recently. The final battle scenes, the surround sound in those is great. Lots of directional bullet ricochet sounds, footsteps, and even some psychedelic slomo sound effects.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #16 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 262
I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish, but then again I enjoy Quentin Tarantino's work.

imo this movie was a big budget modern day Trinity series movie with Tarantino's style , the two Italian western spoof movies from the early 70's with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.
If you have ever seen the two Trinity series movie's you will understand better why the sound track is the way it is, only this time around the sound track is made in DTS HD-MA 5.1..
If there is any doubt just hear the music from this movie and compare.

ss
post #17 of 49 Old 04-29-2013, 06:43 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Interestingly Tarantino really annoys me, he always overdoes something that irks me. However this movie was great and certainly my favorite film by him.

AVR: Marantz 7008 Phono: Pro-Ject Debut III Speakers: BW CMC2 + 2xCM9 + Energy 2xCB-10 (rear)
TV: Panasonic 65ZT60, Samsung 60F5300
post #18 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Tarantino somehow melds an homage to the Westerns of the 1960's and mixes it in with the deep South in the early 1800's .. brilliant .. and as in most of his films, the casting is spot on ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #19 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 12:36 PM

Liked: 10
I really did not care for it much. The movie is too long, over the top violence and oh yeah, the movies is supposed to take place in MS. Really! Could not tell from the scenery.

The first 30 min were OK, rest just dreadful. Good to rent just to see what the hoopla is all about, would never buy it.

IMO, Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors out there. Period.
post #20 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Your last statement explains your first statement, your just not a fan, but everyone has their own opinion smile.gif
post #21 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish, but then again I enjoy Quentin Tarantino's work.

imo this movie was a big budget modern day Trinity series movie with Tarantino's style , the two Italian western spoof movies from the early 70's with Terence Hill and Bud Spencer.
If you have ever seen the two Trinity series movie's you will understand better why the sound track is the way it is, only this time around the sound track is made in DTS HD-MA 5.1..
If there is any doubt just hear the music from this movie and compare.

ss

I loved the "nobody" movies, starting with My name is nobody with Hill and Henry Fonda, then the more spoof movies you mentioned, classics!
post #22 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 02:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
I love this Movie, it was entertaining and crazy funny just didn't care about the two hip hop songs, one would have been plenty for affects.

Thanks Lee for the review.

Djoel
grigorianvlad likes this.
post #23 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Something I've found with pretty much all of Tarentino's films is that they don't appear interesting to me if I see only a trailer for the movie, or just a bit of the film, but if I sit down and watch his movies from beginning to end, they are great. This caused me to miss all of his early work until much later, but once I figured this out with Inglourious Basterds, I've gone back and watched his older stuff and enjoyed them very much. The same thing happened with Django Unchained... the trailers didn't interest me, but I felt completely different after seeing the entire film.

That's because his films don't fit the typical marketing mold. Fortunately, as he's been a household name since Pulp Fiction, his films don't depend too much on marketing for their success. Their merit speaks for itself.

Also, to be fair to the marketers, there's so much of his films that cannot be included in the advertising due to the explicit content.

Chronic masticator.
Gear: Speakers (Paradigm Reference Studio Series): 40 v4 (front L/R), CC-690 v4 (centre), 20 v4 (surround L/R). PSA XS30 (subwoofer).
Denon AVR-X4000, Emotiva XPA-5, Samsung PN64F8500 (64" plasma), DarbeeVision Darblet DVP5000, PS3, Sony BDP-S6200, Apple TV (3rd gen.), Harmony One, Sennheiser RS180
post #24 of 49 Old 04-30-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by straca View Post

I really did not care for it much. The movie is too long, over the top violence and oh yeah, the movies is supposed to take place in MS. Really! Could not tell from the scenery.

The first 30 min were OK, rest just dreadful. Good to rent just to see what the hoopla is all about, would never buy it.

IMO, Tarantino is one of the most overrated directors out there. Period.

Just goes to show we all see things differently.

I really liked Django Unchained and rank it behind Pulp Fiction and Inglorious Basterds.

I've only passed thru MS so I dont know what scenery is specific to the area.

Afro GT
post #25 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 06:28 AM

Liked: 12
Sometimes I felt the bass was a tad over-emphasized, especially on the background songs. I have my sub set a little higher than average, but this movie made it sound like the drywall was going to pop off the studs! eek.gif
post #26 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 06:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 609
I have been to Mississippi many times and the locale in DU could definitely be Mississippi

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #27 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I have been to Mississippi many times and the locale in DU could definitely be Mississippi

eek.gif
post #28 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Can't say I am a huge Tarantino fan but I really did enjoy this one. I was concerned it might be a bit too long for my tastes but that didn't turn out to be true--loved it from start to finish. I seem to be a fan of his more recent work as this and Inglorious Bastards are my favorites of his.

Bob

post #29 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritfox View Post

Can't say I am a huge Tarantino fan but I really did enjoy this one. I was concerned it might be a bit too long for my tastes but that didn't turn out to be true--loved it from start to finish. I seem to be a fan of his more recent work as this and Inglorious Bastards are my favorites of his.

Yeah, the 165 minutes flew by and it felt like it was less than 2 hours on my end.

I was initially turned off by Tarantino's flicks because they looked, sounded, and felt so different from the movies by most other film-makers, but once I realized this was intentional and started looking at them from a more artistic standpoint, I began to like them. Pretty much the same thing happened with the movies done by Robert Rodriguez. My least favorite thing about Tarantino's movies is probably the short acting roles he plays in some of them, although he does a pretty fair job in a few cases, as well.

Just discussing it makes me want to start from the beginning and watch all of their movies again! smile.gif

oz
post #30 of 49 Old 05-01-2013, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 214
To me Unforgiven (1992) is kind of the final western. After that i lost my interest in the gerne.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Django Unchained Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Django by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page