Feature running time: 122 minutes
Genre: Drama, Comedy, Romance

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Lawrence, Robert DeNiro, Julia Stiles, Chris Tucker, Jackie Weaver
Directed by: David O. Russell
Written by: David O. Russell (screenplay), Matthew Quick (novel)
Music by: Danny Elfman
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 30, 2013

"Watch For The Signs"

Film Synopsis:

After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own.

My Take:

How often does a movie actually take you away? I see many flicks, 2-3 star, decent 90 minute time killers with some good attributes, but it is so rare to be sucked to another world of people where you almost don't want to leave. That has happened to me a handful of time…Shawshank, Jaws, Raiders…I was not expecting that kind of reaction here, but I really loved every minute, performance, every nuance to this crazy, realistic, uncomfortable and real slice of life.

Set in a blue collar area of Philly, Silver Linings Playbook is the story of Pat, who is played by Bradley Cooper in a performance that easily sheds his pretty boy image. Cooper can do it all really, from comedy to intense drama, he really is an actor. Pat has a bit of an issue, you see he snapped when finding his wife in the shower with another man, beat the guy within a inch of his life and was put into a mental institution for 8 months. He is now on the quest for a happy ending, or as he calls it, a "Silver Lining". He sees this only obtainable by getting back with his estranged wife, however, she has a restraining order out on him. Pat ends up meeting Tiffany, played by Jennifer Lawrence in a career defining performance that packs insanity, anger and humor all in one run on sentence that is, at times, hypnotizing. Her win of Best Actress for this performance was extremely well warranted. Tiffany is a new widow who has been thrown off-kilter by her husbands passing. She is a potty mouth, a slut...she is sad, she is lonely and she is also, deep inside, looking for her own silver lining. The two meet and an awkward chemistry is apparent from the beginning, but Pat just has his mind set on wining back his wife.

The films supporting cast of DeNiro, Weaver and a surprise appearance from the illusive Chris Tucker (his first since 2007s Rush Hour 3), seal the reality of this working class family and world, add truth to the mental and emotional problems, and make this family feel like a family, warts and all. Not all is golden (well silver) here, as there are a few moments where I longed for a bit more exposition into the back-story . There was also a few stones that did seem to be left unturned, however, none of this ruined the undeniable on-screen chemistry and the great script/dialogue from Director David O. Russell (The Fighter. Three kings). There was one moment and look in Silver Linings Playbook that was so perfectly done that it almost made the whole film for me. I cant spoil it, but once you see it you will know.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for language and some sexual content/nudity

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Silver Linings Playbook comes to Blu-ray from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 19.3 mbps and DTS HD-MA 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 2.6 mbps

Anchor Bay delivers Silver Linings Playbook with reference and filmic video that hits all the right notes. Filmed with a short-of shotgun approach, the film looks and feels like the real life it is trying to portray. Colors come through like you are there in the room with them, fine details can hit a level rarely seen and blacks are deep, stable and never showed a sight of crushing. I am thankful that for a film with many handheld shots that there was never too much annoying movement or camera wiggle, and that the editing knew when to slow down for the viewer to take it all in. The DTS-HD MA 5.1 track works well, though it is really a front sound-stage type of film. With the amount of dialogue that was spouted off from out two leads, quite and loud, I was marveled that I caught all of it. Dynamic range is impressive and low end is well rounded and robust when called upon. Surround channels are rather tame until the films dance-off finale. This one is very enjoyable all around.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Silver Linings Playbook: The Film that Became a Movement

• (HD) Going Steadicam with Bradley Cooper

• (HD) Learn To Dance Like Pat and Tiffany

• (HD) Dance Rehearsal

• (HD) Deleted Scenes

• (HD) Q & A Highlights

• DVD Copy

• Digital Copy

• UV Copy

Final Thoughts:

Silver Linings Playbook is a rare winner that combines a heavy heart, a big heart, a happy heart and a broken heart in a non-syrupy and non-melodramatic way. I laughed, I had a tear, I cared for the characters...I really enjoyed the film and highly recommend a viewing. Anchor Bay delivers a wonderful 1080p video and lossless audio presentation, watchable extras and a few extra formats thrown in.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I've been very skeptical about this movie despite the great cast and overwhelmingly positive reviews.

It's just watching the trailer, and Bradley gets frustrated at a book, and throws a book not out the window, but THROUGH the window. Come on damnit? What the hell.

Nice to see you get to watch a good flick for a change Lee. wink.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Everyone is skeptical going in. Coming out everyone is blown away. Wonderful movie and Blu-Ray. Anyone who dosen't cry at the end is a Nazi. Game over!
Old 05-02-2013, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Thanks for the review, Lee! I've added this to my wish list and will definitely go for it as soon as the price drops a bit more.

oz
Old 05-03-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Thanks for the review. Nice to see someone get both the movie and the BD, a match made in heaven.

Eve: I thought I was through getting involved with men who were trouble. Falling in love on a look. I can't look at you.

Mickey: You have perfection about you. Your eyes have music. Your heart's the best part of your body. And when you move, every man, woman and child is forced to watch.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Greetings,

I saw this theatrically and absolutely loved it. It's a 5 Star rating in my book. The Blu-ray landed from Amazon on Tuesday but I haven't had a chance to watch it yet. I look forward to checking it out again.

Thanks for a great review Lee...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 05-03-2013, 07:10 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks for the review Lee.

It's also important to point out that this movie covers the topic of mental health issues (specifically bipolar disorder) in that the main character went his whole life undiagnosed until the breakdown that landed him in the institution. I know someone who had a similar breakdown and the eventual diagnosis completely changed his outlook on life.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:17 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 556
I watched this yesterday and thought it was fantastic. Great story that I think many can relate to on some level as far as traumatic type events bringing to lite certain mental health issues. I love how it explored the cause and effect element of the human condition as well which is something we can all sympathize with in one way or another as far as our life experiences go. Very well done and had me glued from the first frame.

I thought the acting all around was excellent and as great as Lawrence was, I thought Cooper was every bit her equal. Both did an incredible job and the rest of the cast was great as well.

Great choice of music as well. When Dylan's Girl from the North Country started playing, a tear hit my eye............NICE! cool.gif What is and What Should Never Be by Zeppelin was also nicely placed and used I thought.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
Old 05-03-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 12
Amazing film that I have watched about 9 times.

Having grown up and being around (currently) the areas where they filmed, I feel even more connected.

Having been by the homes in the film, it does make you feel like you were involved.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Yet another blind Blu-ray buy for me, damnit!!! biggrin.gif

Sounds like we have ourselves another winner!

Thanks, Lee! cool.gif
Old 05-03-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Another blind buy for me as well Taranteacher!

My wife has been really excited to see this and it has perked my interest too so I picked it up at Wal-Mart today. Excited to watch it tonight especially after hearing yet another positive review for it.

We were thinking about going to see Iron Man 3 tonight but I think we're gunna wait until its been out a little longer. Opening weekend for big movies at my local theater is always a mad house. Im really excited to see it though. Im a Marvel nut!!

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 05-03-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Lee, totally agree with your assessment about how rare and special this film is.

I call it a ten year movie, aka sleeper movies this exceptional come around about once a decade.

Last out of nowhere film I can recall that hit me like this was little miss sunshine, but
Silver linings far exceeds that prodigious release.

This a buy for me, not for any exceptional a/v qualities, but because it's like other
Classics, one you can watch a couple of times a year while still remains fresh

Enjoy all

neflixis our nemesis
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Nice review--want to see this but will probably check it out on iTunes first. smile.gif

Bob

Old 05-04-2013, 12:25 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Thanks to your review, I rented this last night. We really enjoyed it, and we'll no doubt buy the disc eventually.

The acting, I thought, was superb. It almost felt a little odd for how real it was. The leads were exceptional, and the supporting cast were all quite convincing too with just the right amount of silliness. I haven't seen Chris Tucker in years; glad to see he's still around and playing slightly more mature roles. I've never really seen Jennifer Lawrence in anything before, but this made a great first impression.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Liked: 123
Thanks guys.

I watched it last night with my wife who loves it as much I.
Old 05-05-2013, 11:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 555
I saw Silver Linings Playbook in the theater and loved every minute of it. The performances of Jennifer Lawrence, Bradley Cooper (Who knew?), and Robert De Niro, blew me away. Still trying to decide whether to ignore my cheapskate impulses and buy the BD. Highly, highly recommended, 9 Stars out of 10! To say the least, 2012 was a vintage year for films but despite all the competition, Silver Linings Playbook was one of the best.
Old 05-06-2013, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I finally watched this movie last night. It was well worth the time. This is a very good movie.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I did not see this movie in the theaters but I've got it in my Netflix queue. Based on all the reviews here, I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Cal68

Cal68
Old 05-06-2013, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

rented over the weekend and boy this loses nothing on repeated views.

this is what the movies are supposed to give us.

neflixis our nemesis
Old 05-07-2013, 12:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Nice review Lee. Great movie! Definentely one of the bests that I have seen lately! In my view, Bradley Cooper should of won the oscar with this one.

Chris. My DVD and Blu Ray collection
Sony VPL HW55ES, ST 100, B&W 803 Diamonds mains, B&W HTM2 Diamond center channel,B&W 805 Diamond surrounds, B&W DB1 subwoofer, Anthem D2v, Parasound Halo A51+A21,Oppo BDP 103D,PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Old 05-08-2013, 07:23 PM
Advanced Member

It doesn't happen often, but occasionally, very popular movies come along that simply don't work for me. Unfortunately, this one was one of those times.

My blu-ray copy arrived today, so I was very anxious to watch it due to all the high praise that the film has received. The main actors are some of my favorites and I've certainly liked much of their other work, but after watching 75 minutes into this one and not enjoying a single minute of it, I finally had to stop watching. I'm thinking of giving it another try a few weeks down the road to see if it was some kind of mood thing getting in the way. Hopefully, it will change my opinion on the next viewing.

That all said, I'm glad that so many others have enjoyed the movie and do fully understand that we all have different tastes in films.

oz
Old 05-09-2013, 07:21 PM

Liked: 11
Watched this last night! The wife and I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

It doesn't happen often, but occasionally, very popular movies come along that simply don't work for me. Unfortunately, this one was one of those times.

My blu-ray copy arrived today, so I was very anxious to watch it due to all the high praise that the film has received. The main actors are some of my favorites and I've certainly liked much of their other work, but after watching 75 minutes into this one and not enjoying a single minute of it, I finally had to stop watching. I'm thinking of giving it another try a few weeks down the road to see if it was some kind of mood thing getting in the way. Hopefully, it will change my opinion on the next viewing.

That all said, I'm glad that so many others have enjoyed the movie and do fully understand that we all have different tastes in films.

How a movie hits you is a weird thing. In reading reviews, there's about 10-20% of folks that don't connect with this film. I love this movie but i get it.

I know when I'm really tired sometimes my fav sitcoms eps suck, but improve upon re-view.

Give it another shot sometime, but if it don't work for you I will gladly accept your now disposable blu ray smile.gif

neflixis our nemesis
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

How a movie hits you is a weird thing. In reading reviews, there's about 10-20% of folks that don't connect with this film.

Yes, it truly is a strange thing. I didn't think there would be any way I couldn't like it based on the film description, casting, and various reviews.

Hoping for a better feel for the movie on the next go around...

oz
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29

Yes, it's quirky, but it is very well done quirk.  Great performances by Lawrence and Cooper especially.  The dialog was really fun and had to be a bit of a problem to memorize and deliver the way it is done.  Liked it a lot.

Ray
"You cannot reason a person out of a position he did not reason himself into in the first place." -Jonathan Swift
Old 05-12-2013, 06:06 AM
Advanced Member

Okay, after posting above about how much I disliked this film, I remember being in an extremely irritable mood earlier that day, so I watched it again last night, but this time with my wife, and we both really liked the movie. Not sure, but I think remembering to take my meds earlier in the day made the difference.

oz
Old 05-12-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

damn, there goes my free br

neflixis our nemesis
Old 05-12-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

damn, there goes my free br

Sorry about that... previously I was of the belief that I was able to think more clearly without the meds, but I'm no longer certain either way. confused.gif

oz
Old 05-13-2013, 11:57 AM

Liked: 12
It was good for a rental....
Old 05-21-2013, 06:36 AM

Liked: 14
Watched with the wife last night. Enjoyed it immensely. Jennifer and Brad are perfect for their role. The supporting cast did justice to their respective role as well.

Tags
Silver Linings Playbook Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Silver by PriceGrabber.com