Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Forest Whitaker, Jaimie Alexander, Johnny Knoxville, Luis Guzman, Rodrigo Santoro, Peter Stormare, Eduardo Noriega
Directed by: Kim Jee-Woon
Music by: Mowg
Written by: Andrew Knauer
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 21, 2013

"Not in his town. Not on his watch"

Film Synopsis:

After leaving his LAPD narcotics post following a bungled operation that left him wracked with remorse and regret, Sheriff Ray Owens (Schwarzenegger) moved out of Los Angeles and settled into a life fighting what little crime takes place in sleepy border town Sommerton Junction. But that peaceful existence is shattered when Gabriel Cortez (Noriega), the most notorious, wanted drug kingpin in the western hemisphere, makes a deadly yet spectacular escape from an FBI prisoner convoy.

With the help of a fierce band of lawless mercenaries led by the icy Burrell (Stormare), Cortez begins racing towards the US-Mexico border at 250 mph in a specially-outfitted Corvette ZR1 with a hostage in tow. Cortez’ path: straight through Summerton Junction, where the whole of the U.S. law enforcement, including Agent John Bannister (Whitaker) will have their final opportunity to intercept him before the violent fugitive slips across the border forever. At first reluctant to become involved, and then counted out because of the perceived ineptitude of his small town force, Owens ultimately rallies his team and takes the matter into his own hands, setting the stage for a classic showdown.

My Take:

There is little need for a more in-depth plot breakdown than what is provided by the synopsis above. As genre fans we pretty know what is coming, the question is, is it worth an hour and a half of our time? The answer is yes, especially if you’re a fan of Arnold Schwarzenegger and his particular brand of action hero. I mean don’t get me wrong, clichés abound and there is nothing we haven’t seen before however I appreciate the fact that the script doesn’t try too hard to be overly ambitious and keeps the noticeably silly humor to a minimum. There are a few eye rolling moments but predominantly speaking the action set pieces, gun play and physical encounters (even those involving the 66 year old Arnold) don’t extend far beyond the realm of action movie plausibility.

This is the first American film directed by Kim Jee-woon, one of the top names from contemporary South Korean cinema. He brings plenty of enthusiasm along with a stylish flair to the production. The characters are well defined within the construct of the simple narrative and the action adheres to the standard formula that we have all come to expect and appreciate from the genre. Arnold is Arnold and handles the lead role in assuredly typical fashion while capably supported by a decent cast that capably handles their respective roles. So, does The Last Stand live up to the “Arnold is back better than ever” build up? Not really, but it is an entertaining popcorn flick that is an appropriate vehicle for the iconic action star to return to the big screen.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong bloody violence throughout and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

The last stand comes to Blu-ray Disc from Lionsgate HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 36 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 6 Mbps.

This is a great looking video presentation that has a clean, filmic appearance that falls just shy of the definitive delineation offered by the best high definition available on Blu-ray Disc. Images onscreen exhibit plenty of fine rendering and crisp definition that on occasion rises to higher levels especially during close ups which can be very revealing. Long range shots appear resolute with good dimensional depth and notable object detail. The geographic locations and vista views featured in the film look magnificent in high definition. Bright exterior segments are punchy with crisp dynamic whites and appreciable texture. Colors aren’t overly engaging as the palette is limited to sepia tones and drab secondary hues that don’t offer much to catch the eye. Rendering is excellent though and the balance is kept in proper focus which mates well with the films overall visual perspective. Fleshtones are tonally divergent and appear lifelike in depiction. Blacks are rich/dynamic and shadow detail is quite good which reveals plenty of visible delineation in dark backgrounds and low lighting. I didn’t detect any deleterious artifacts or other video related anomalies.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes frequent use of the entire surround platform and features a highly detailed presentation that has excellent dynamic range which enables it to be bombastic at one moment and intricately nuanced the next. Dialogue is definitive and appreciably lucid through the center channel as it mixed just slightly in front of the left/right channels within soundstage. I never had any trouble distinguishing even the slightest changes in the pitch or inflection of voices. Imaging and channel separation is excellent which draws out both large and small sound elements and allows their directional correlation based upon the onscreen events to be definable. Depth and dimension are strong as the front and rear soundstages combine to immerse the listening position in a seamless blend of ambient and discretely placed effects during the action based sequences. This is a great sounding lossless presentation that compliments the film quite nicely.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Not in my town: Making The last stand – 28 minute featurette

• (HD) Cornfield chaos: Scene breakdown – 11 minute featurette

• (HD) The Dinkum firearm & historic weaponry museum tour – 11 minute production featurette

• (HD) Actor-cam anarchy: With Johnny Knoxville & Jaimie Alexander – 10 minutes

• (HD) 6 Deleted scenes

• (HD) 7 extended scenes

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Arnold Schwarzenegger is back as a sleepy border town sheriff that stands between a dangerous cartel kingpin on the run and freedom over the Mexican border in The last stand. It doesn’t bring anything new to the genre table but I found it to be an entertaining popcorn flick that appropriately returns the iconic action star to the big screen. The last stand comes to Blu-ray from Lionsgate Home Entertainment featuring excellent high definition video quality engaging DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround sound and a pedestrian assortment of bonus supplements that offer insights from the cast/crew while looking behind the scenes at the production. If you’re an Arnold Fan this one is worth checking out.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

Didn't see it in the theater, so I for one am really looking forward to checking this movie out.

oz
post #3 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Thanks for the review, Ralph! cool.gif

Didn't see it in the theater, so I for one am really looking forward to checking this movie out.

ditto biggrin.gif
post #4 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Went in to the theater looking for a goofy, Arnold thriller, came out with exactly what I expected! If you don't have high expectations, you will be happily surprised!

post #5 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I'll buy just because of the cars. But then again I am based cause I have a ZL1 myself.....note the one in the movie was a regular camaro look at the grill and seats....
post #6 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I've always liked Johnny Knoxville in the jackass movies and his other movies, but when I saw the trailer for this, doing his same ol schtick but even more so in this 1 it looks like, it made me for some reason think, I think I'm getting kinda tired of the guy. In this he just looks like he's more annoying than anything in it.

Hopefully that's not the case.

I'll watch it for Arnold though. Glad this got good AV scores too.

Thanks Ralph. smile.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #7 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 07:56 PM

Yeah seems like it digs down low. I like any movie that brings out the best in my modest 5.2
post #8 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Sounds like a fun flick, I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this... maybe a buy after a rental viewing.

post #9 of 32 Old 05-13-2013, 11:29 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Thanks Ralph for the review will be checking it out soon

Frank

post #10 of 32 Old 05-14-2013, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 48
Time to update my Netflix queue! Thanks Ralph.

Cal68

Cal68
post #11 of 32 Old 05-14-2013, 02:17 PM

Liked: 12
Watched this film twice within 2 weeks. The video was superb. My friends absolutely loved the clarity which was not simply due to my Sammy ES6300 but he video quality itself. The sound was really good too especially with the car scenes. Well recommended
post #12 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Big Arnie fan here..Can't wait to see it!
post #13 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Me too!! Rented this for a watch on the big screen tonight.
cheers
post #14 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 273
This movie is made for the JVC's, there are many low APL scenes that look fantastic on the RS55.

It was a fun action movie to watch, definitely worth checking out.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

My blu-ray copy of The Last Stand arrived today and I just finished watching it. The acting and script were quite weak in my opinion, and most of the humor wasn't all that funny. The audio and video were good, though.

If I had to do over again, this would be a rental only for me.

oz
post #16 of 32 Old 05-24-2013, 02:06 PM

Liked: 11
Saw it last night. Strictly a B movie and it wouldn't even be worth watching without Arnold, but I have to admit I enjoyed seeing him back in something other than a walk-on part. The PQ and AQ were great on my system. Now if only he had picked up the big gun during the long street battle. That would have brought back memories. Still, I put it in my watch again section.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Liked: 46
*SPOILER ALERT*

Corvette ZR1 , but they don't drive it fast. They just speed the camera up. Lame.

They also use the slanted nose of the car as a ramp to flip an SUV over at highway speeds. The Carbon Fiber bodies Corvette receives scuffed paint.

This movie SUUUUCKED. If you were hoping for a cool car chase movie with a badass sportscar, sort of a modern day vanishing point or something similar, you won't be impressed.

Want an example of how to do a GOOD car chase ? Go watch Jack Reacher again. It gets everything correct, and puts movies like Fast n Furious and Transporter to shame.

My review is bitter because this movie had a decent premise and a lot of potential to be a good movie. Instead it just nails every bad cliche and even does those poorly. We need a movie that takes a neat car and showcases it in a way that keeps action movie fans and car-guy-gearheads happy at the same time.

You know things are in a sad state when Ken Block, a glorified shoe salesman can make a 4 minute youtube video of him dancing a car about in a big Monster energy vinyl wrap in San Francisco and have it be more interesting than an entire 90 minute big budget film.
post #18 of 32 Old 05-29-2013, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Is the 7.1 track a true 7.1 or an upconverted 5.1? I just rented this and noticed that the audio is only a 5.1 DTS Master Audio. If I like the movie enough, I may make get the retail version just to have the real 7.1 track.

Still Learning
post #19 of 32 Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mifronte View Post

Is the 7.1 track a true 7.1 or an upconverted 5.1? I just rented this and noticed that the audio is only a 5.1 DTS Master Audio. If I like the movie enough, I may make get the retail version just to have the real 7.1 track.

hello

mine is the retail version and it appears to be true 7.1

oz
post #20 of 32 Old 05-31-2013, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I purchased this film on Blu-ray based on this review. However, I was very much disappointed with the move. The audio and video were great. But the action scenes were completely unbelievable--even for someone like me who goes into films like this with my suspension of disbelief knob turned all the way up. The shooting was either unbelievably accurate or unbelievably inaccurate--all the time, every time. And what bad guy decides to use an antique pistol as his primary weapon? The car chase special effects were just downright silly. And Arnold delivered his most wooden performance since ... well ... since anything I can remember. I think he did a better job in Conan if that puts it in perspective for you. If you're considering this purchase you should simply wait to see it on HBO first. But, with that being said, you'll still be wasting 90 minutes of your life--life that might be better spent having sex or pulling weeds in your garden.

"By my troth, I care not; a man can die but once; we owe God a death.... He that dies this year is quit for the next." -- William Shakespeare, Henry the Fourth, Part II
post #21 of 32 Old 05-31-2013, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Greer View Post

But, with that being said, you'll still be wasting 90 minutes of your life--life that might be better spent having sex or pulling weeds in your garden.

Oh, it wasn't that bad. Now those FAST & FURIOUS movies...those are far greater wastes...in every conceivable way.

post #22 of 32 Old 06-02-2013, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
For those that dislike shaky, handheld camera work, this movie has a fair amount of it. Watched all the way through because we are Arnie fans but this movie does not warrant a repeat view and definitely not a purchase.
post #23 of 32 Old 06-03-2013, 11:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 178
I watched this the other night and had a good time with it (after sitting through Dark Skies any movie becomes an Oscar nominee). I wouldn't buy it but it's a decent enough rental just to test out your system. A lot of the spoken dialogue sounded a bit strange to me. Was this Kim Jee-Woon's first American movie? That could possibly explain some of the dialogue awkwardness if English isn't his first language. Not that I'm trying to sound offensive.

Also, I have a confession to make: The Fast & Furious movies are guilty pleasures of mine. biggrin.gif

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #24 of 32 Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 PM
CIH USER

Finally get a chance to watch this tonight looking forward in seeing Arnie again

Frank

post #25 of 32 Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 AM
CIH USER

Great film Ralph I thoroughly enjoyed this will definitley add to my collection.

Frank

post #26 of 32 Old 06-24-2013, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Great film Ralph I thoroughly enjoyed this will definitley add to my collection.

Greetings,

Glad to hear you enjoyed it Frank! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #27 of 32 Old 06-24-2013, 07:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
My Son & I veiwed "The Last Stand" last night & thought it was Great... Arnie's Back biggrin.gif

As Always totally agree with your ratings for A/V Ralph smile.gif

I noted that the AU version of this Flick only contained 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mad.gif

CM..
post #28 of 32 Old 06-25-2013, 06:46 PM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

My Son & I veiwed "The Last Stand" last night & thought it was Great... Arnie's Back biggrin.gif

As Always totally agree with your ratings for A/V Ralph smile.gif

I noted that the AU version of this Flick only contained 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio mad.gif

CM..

I would of preferred 7.1

Frank

post #29 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Hi Ralph ! you summed up this one perfectly and while yes there where the very predictable moments you knew where coming it still had enough momentum to keep me entertained. The audio and video where good as well with some great moments and overall complimented the movie well, I can walk away from this one with more than I expected and to be honest I kinda liked it wink.gif
post #30 of 32 Old 06-30-2013, 08:59 PM

Liked: 10
Rented this movie from Red Box a few weeks ago knowing nothing about it other than it was an Arnold movie. I wasn't expecting much therefor I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a car guy but I was able to look past the ZR1 driving for hours on end over 100mph without stopping for gas, or the fact that the fake ZL1 could keep up with the ZR1.

Anyway, great rental movie.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Last Stand Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Last by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page