Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Twilight Time and Screenarchives.com Present A Limited Edition Blu-ray Release

Major Dundee (1965)

Greetings,

Twilight Time is a boutique brand that produces high quality, limited edition transfers of mainstream and lost Hollywood Classics. They only produce 3000 copies per title and are available exclusively through Screeenarchives.com. I was interested in the company and their releases when they put out 1985s Fright Night in a limited run of which I didn't get a copy (so if you are interested in a release, act quick!). I am happy to report that their transfers are superb and the utmost care has gone into their releases.

Lee

Major Dundee

39ec2a28_majordundee.jpeg

Overview:
Legendary writer-director Sam Peckinpah’s 'Major Dundee' tells the brutal tale of an ill-fated Civil War-era cavalry expedition into Mexico, starring Charlton Heston as an obsessive, ambitious Union officer hot on the heels of a rogue Apache chief and his murderous band. Also starring Richard Harris as Dundee's old friend and Confederate adversary, Senta Berger as a potential love interest, James Coburn as a grizzled, one-armed scout, and members of the Peckinpah stock company, including Warren Oates, Ben Johnson, R.G. Armstrong, and L.Q. Jones. This two-disc set includes the original theatrical release of the film, plus the 2005 extended version.

Quick Specs:
Run Time: 136 mins, Rated PG-13, Audio Format: English DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1, Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1, Region FREE, Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 15th, 2013. Limited Edition of 3,000 Units.

Quick Thoughts:
Never hearing of this one, I was super interested because it was from Director Sam Peckinpah (The Wild Bunch, Straw Dogs), and starring Charlton Heston and Richard Harris didn't hurt either. After watching the longer cut (Twilight Time gives us two discs one with an extended, disc 2 with theatrical) I was left wondering how something that started off so strong dwindle into a long-winded boring wanna-be epic? Simple, really. After a bit of research (AKA googling) I found that Pekenpah was off the film before he finished writing the third act, his vision of a grand David Lean-esque epic was destroyed, edited and finished by others. Too bad really, as it had lots of promise...

The video here is OK, but I don't see too much effort ever going into restoring this one. Colors are a bit pale and generally favor a brownish look, even flesh-tones suffer. There is evidence of DNR and there are some other artifacts that do get in the way. Fine details have a tendency to show in close-ups, but softness does win the majority of the time. The Lossless DTS-HD 5.1 track is a reworking of an original mono mix that does comes up ahead. Dynamic range is wide, fidelity impressive, and effect channels are used with taste, lending the sound to a proper balance of weight in the front sound-stage.

Special Features:
· Isolated Score Track
· Audio Commentary with Film Historians Nick Redman, Paul Seydor, Garner Simmons, and David Weddle
· Exhibitor Promo Reel Excerpt
· Trailer Artwork Outtakes
· Silent Extended Outtakes
· 2005 Re-Release Trailer
· Extended Scene: "Major Dundee and Teresa"
· Incomplete Deleted Scene: "Knife Fight"
· Original Theatrical Trailer.
· Julie Kirgo liner notes

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT60 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 05-15-2013, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 1039
The first movie I saw on my own as a 9 year old kid at the Lake Theater in Oak Park IL upon release. Think it cost a whole quarter for a matinee (double feature I believe, don't remember the other film). Terrible movie in many ways but plenty of bad history and gore to satisfy any Hollywood western fan! Still have a fond spot for this one. Great cast, even Chuckie is bearable in this (was there ever a bigger moron in Hollywood?). I might just get it for nostalgia's sake but for $35 I dunno....maybe $15.

"I realize that somebody playing free music isn't as commercial as a hamburger stand. But is it because you can eat a hamburger and hold it in your hand and you can't do that with music? Is it too free to control?" - Don Van Vliet (aka Captain Beefheart) discussing commercial success in the music biz

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Major Dundee Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Major by PriceGrabber.com