Studio and Year: Paramount - 2013
MPAA Rating: R/Unrated
Feature running time: 87/97 minutes
Genre: Horror/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, Famke Janssen, Peter Stormare
Written & Directed by: Tommy Wirkola
Music by: Atli Orvarsson
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: June 11, 2013

"Revenge is sweeter than candy"

Film Synopsis:

Get ready for a twisted take on the classic tale as Hansel (Jeremy Renner) and Gretel (Gemma Arterton) have turned pro, coping with the trauma of their childhood captivity by slaying witches for hire. But when the seemingly unstoppable bounty hunters meet their match in an enemy so evil, it’ll take all their training, weapons and courage to survive. Revenge is sweeter than candy.

My Take:

Written and directed by Tommy Wirkola this take on the classic tale tells the story of the brother and sister team seeking to avenge their parents’ deaths by snuffing out every evil doing witch in the land. But after a lifetime of hunting witches, Hansel and Gretel now must face an evil greater than anything they’ve seen: a terrifying new threat so massive, it could destroy the world as we know it. I don’t see the need to delve into a deep plot breakdown here. The underdeveloped storyline, silly dialogue and surface level characters leave only the action to cling to. The action is repetitive and the production elements are decent although nothing we haven’t seen before. In general I have no problem with mindless entertainment but Hansel and Gretel Witch Hunters fails to prove remotely involving and at times is so absurd it left me shaking my head. Watching Jeremy Renner, Gemma Arterton, and Famke Janssen recite the ridiculous dialog I kept wondering did they actually READ this script beforehand? This set includes the theatrical version (3D Blu-ray) and an extended unrated version (2D Blu-ray) that adds an additional 10 minutes. I watched both and the outcome was the same.

I am sure that there are those out there that may be willing to suffer its abysmal storytelling in exchange for the promise of fertile action/adventure. Just remember, I told you so…

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong fantasy horror violence and gore, brief sexuality/nudity and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 86

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 channel sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3 Mbps.

I have found that the native 2D to 3D converted films that I have reviewed on Blu-ray can be hit or miss in terms of visually stimulating dimensional imagery. I will say that the last few that I have sat down to watch have been quite good and I was hoping for more of the same here. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth of field is appreciable as evidenced by the virtual separation of objects or people within the frame. There is a variety of sequences that provide a bit of reach out and touch dimensionality as well as a bit of screen popping wizardry. This primarily revolves around the action based sequences and the effect is fun. Comparing contrast, color reproduction and skin tones to the 2D presentation I saw little to no difference. The rendering of detail and clarity is similar and I didn’t observe any overt instances of crosstalk/ghosting. Overall Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters makes for a decent 3D experience.

The 5.1 channel Dolby TrueHD soundtrack makes regular use of the entire system and delivers an engaging surround sound experience. This is an active soundtrack that features palpably rich bass response that reinforces the dynamic impact associated with the films action based elements and music. The seamless integration of the front and rear channels creates a stable and well proportioned listening experience that is complimented by palpably rich low frequency effects. Clarity and detail are first rate as I never had any trouble discerning subtle vocal inflections or the presence of low level sounds mixed into the background. This is an entertaining and active surround sound presentation that enhanced the enjoyment of the film. Give the volume knob a few extra clicks sit back and enjoy it.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 92

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps.

This film has an intentionally dark and singular chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and vivid high gloss video quality. There are instances where brighter elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images predominantly lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers use to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is good overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is the case in all but a few instances where definition softens and doesn’t retain the same level of lucidity.

Bonus Features:

• 3D Blu-ray – Theatrical version

• 2D Blu-ray – Unrated version (adds 10 minutes)

• (HD) Reinventing Hansel & Gretel – 15 minute featurette

• (HD) The witching hours – 9 minute featurette

• (HD) Meet Edward the Troll – 5 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Written and directed by Tommy Wirkola Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters is a poorly conceived take on the classic story and failed to generate any viable interest from me despite my fairly high threshold for mindless action/adventure. It comes to Blu-ray in this 3D Blu-ray/DVD combo pack from Paramount Home Entertainment featuring solid technical merits and a lackluster supplemental offering. If you’re curious give it a rent but otherwise I’d pass.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Life's too short to watch crappy movies. Thanks for taking one for the team, Ralph!

Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 538
I feel for you, Ralph! smile.gif

At least Gemma was in it getting a paycheck for looking hot. A small consolation prize.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 05-28-2013, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Gonna pass on this stinker... I won't polute my system with this dreck . Did hollywood forget how to make movies or something ?

Thanks King P !
Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67 View Post

Gonna pass on this stinker... I won't polute my system with this dreck . Did hollywood forget how to make movies or something ?

Thanks King P !

Yes, yes they did.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Having actually seen this in the theater I can say it's not for everybody. But if you like the darker elements of ABC's "Once Upon a Time" and you watch Grimm on NBC, this film may be for you. Also this film definitely earns it's R rating.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 05-29-2013, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I actually liked this film... I'm not sure why, but I just did. It was shot in a very similar style as the Brother's Grimm with Matt Damon and Heath Ledger; again, that wasn't a super deep story either but enjoyed it in the same manner as this title.

It's not a great story but I liked the idea of it. I was really surprised on their use of the f-bomb on this but it was pretty funny the the liberal use of it IMO. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't hate to see a sequel with a little more effort put into it.

Then again, maybe I'm just smitten with Gemma Arterton!
Old 05-29-2013, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67 View Post

Thanks King P !

What a boring world this would be if we all had the same tastes. Variety, and choice, is a good thing. They made plenty of "B" movies decades ago as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Having actually seen this in the theater I can say it's not for everybody. But if you like the darker elements of ABC's "Once Upon a Time" and you watch Grimm on NBC, this film may be for you. Also this film definitely earns it's R rating.

Good to hear!

It was refreshing to see it get an R rating in this age of one-size-fits-all PG13 films. Bring on the 3D gore. wink.gif

Blind buy for me.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:11 PM

Liked: 12
I tried watching this movie with a buddy. Had to turn it off and put something else on after about 10 minutes.

I can get into unapologetically shallow story lines with explosions and action. I'm not a frau-frau movie critic or anything. I just couldn't get past the horrendous fake english accents followed by modern day slang spoken without the crappy accent, and then the actor going back to the crappy accent.

Officially Snow White and the Huntsman, no longer the worst movie ever.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Thanks for the heads up. Don't even know if I'm gunna rent this one for now. Maybe some boring evening with nothing else to rent.

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 05-29-2013, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by adpayne View Post

What a boring world this would be if we all had the same tastes. Variety, and choice, is a good thing. They made plenty of "B" movies decades ago as well.
Good to hear!

It was refreshing to see it get an R rating in this age of one-size-fits-all PG13 films. Bring on the 3D gore. wink.gif

Blind buy for me.

If the unrated version was in 3D, I might have given this a go.

Old 05-29-2013, 03:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyen78 View Post

I tried watching this movie with a buddy. Had to turn it off and put something else on after about 10 minutes.

I can get into unapologetically shallow story lines with explosions and action. I'm not a frau-frau movie critic or anything. I just couldn't get past the horrendous fake english accents followed by modern day slang spoken without the crappy accent, and then the actor going back to the crappy accent.

Officially Snow White and the Huntsman, no longer the worst movie ever.

If you think Snow White and the Huntsman is the worst movie ever you obviously haven't seen any of the recent Fast and the Furious movies. tongue.gif;)

JBL Pro Cinema
Old 05-29-2013, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

If you think Snow White and the Huntsman is the worst movie ever you obviously haven't seen any of the recent Fast and the Furious movies. tongue.gif;)

++++++++++++++++1!!!

Old 05-29-2013, 06:12 PM

Liked: 12
Just watched it recently. It wasnt a terrible movie, just something to pass the long summer evenings.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
He-he, the title alone has steered me away from this one but Ralph's review confirms my suspicions. Maybe, if I'm really hard up for something to watch, I'll try a rental.

...and FWIW, I really liked Snow White and the Huntsman...

Old 05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
I've been on the fence for this one--I kind of want to see it but wasn't sure I wanted to see it so much to buy it--after reading your review, I am going to opt to take it for a rental test drive. And from the looks of it, I'll probably not be taking it home with me. Thanks for the review, Ralph. smile.gif

Bob

Old 05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Body blow, body blow, body blow...put'em away!

Pretty much what I was expecting so I'll save this one for one of those nights of insomnia and they're only showing reruns of Chopped.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I'll probably see it rolleyes.gif..if for nothing more than the technical aspects, which I'm always a sucker for...
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrinch View Post

I actually liked this film... I'm not sure why, but I just did. It was shot in a very similar style as the Brother's Grimm with Matt Damon and Heath Ledger; again, that wasn't a super deep story either but enjoyed it in the same manner as this title.

It's not a great story but I liked the idea of it. I was really surprised on their use of the f-bomb on this but it was pretty funny the the liberal use of it IMO. Call me crazy, but I wouldn't hate to see a sequel with a little more effort put into it.

Then again, maybe I'm just smitten with Gemma Arterton!

Word has it there is a sequel in the works.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Old 05-30-2013, 04:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Word has it there is a sequel in the works.

Sequels are rarely better than the original. So seeing as how they put little effort into this first one... maybe they'll just raise the stakes and have Gemma do a big shameless sex scene just to get butts in the seats. Guys will forget just how poor the screenplay is. biggrin.gif

Old 05-31-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I saw this in a theater and liked it very much cept for the acting of the lady playing the evil witch. Look forward to seeing it on 3D BD.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:08 AM

Liked: 10
I didn't think it was that bad for what it was (cheeky "gothic meets steampunk" action flick) and would recommend it as a rental, but not a buy.

BTW: Skyline makes Hansel and Gretel look like a masterpiece of cinema genius and is officially the worst wide release movie to ever dupe the general public with its very carefully edited trailer.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:58 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked: 298
Just finished watching this film, loved it. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun film. Definitely will be picking this up smile.gif

Frank
Old 06-21-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 51
Watching it right now; its NOT Lawrence of Arabia but...the 2d picture is super detailed with amazing depth. Hobbitish... Mindless but very high quality gore totally earning that "R" rating...oh, mine is a Netflix disc....dumb fun that is entertaining the wife and myself. The, starting credits had 3d depth. I dont recall ever loghing into a review while watching a movie just to see what video score Ralph put on one. I'm slightly more generous than he on this one thinking it garnered a 96 in 2d video.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 61
There is some fast camera moves and some fast cutting in H&G but none of the shaky handheld camera crap that so many movies use. It is a junk movie (personal definition) but I will purchase because I like certain junk movies (The Keep, Legend, Beast Master, etc., etc.) and this one has an over the top sound track with the surrounds in full use during most of the movie. I only wish they done it in 7.1
Old 06-30-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

There is some fast camera moves and some fast cutting in H&G but none of the shaky handheld camera crap that so many movies use. It is a junk movie (personal definition) but I will purchase because I like certain junk movies (The Keep, Legend, Beast Master, etc., etc.) and this one has an over the top sound track with the surrounds in full use during most of the movie. I only wish they done it in 7.1

Greetings,

There is nothing wrong with a little "junk" from time to time huh Wendell...? wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 06-30-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Just finished watching this film, loved it. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a fun film. Definitely will be picking this up smile.gif

+1 my wife and I also enjoyed the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell R. Breland View Post

I tought the sound track was very well done. Make you wonder what if would have been 7.1

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
Old 07-01-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
^^^Purchased blind due to price as well as anticipated sound. This movie was a delight! Had me grinning from the opening moments. Awesome soundtrack -- loved it! Enjoyed the humor and general tone -- of course if you were looking to take it very very seriously, you might have found it wasn't striking the right chords, but from the sight gag of the missing child warning, to the absurd cartoon gore, this one hit the mark for me. I do hope talk of sequel above is absolutely true. Enjoyed this better than THE CALL, OZ, CLOUD ATLAS -- most of the others I've seen recently.
Old 07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
This was the first 3D american hit of the year. It didn't do avatar business, but home media will make it a best seller and a cult classic. Makes me wonder if Netflix will stock 3D blurays like they did with Dredd, which was a dual layer 2d/3d BD. It also had extras.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

This was the first 3D american hit of the year. It didn't do avatar business, but home media will make it a best seller and a cult classic. Makes me wonder if Netflix will stock 3D blurays like they did with Dredd, which was a dual layer 2d/3d BD. It also had extras.
It not only did not do AVATAR business, but was considered a very tepid release after grossing only $65 million domestically. My vague impression was that it had underperformed at the box office (though I wasn't paying that much attention and never saw it theatrically), that is why I was very surprised to read here that there was any conjecture about a sequel.

The key was the overseas market, adding another $200 million to the take. That is not shabby. This film did seem to cater to that Euro sensibility and was apparently largely filmed in Germany with alot of Scandanavian names in the credits. So home media here would just be icing on the cake for this treat. Never thought I would find myself more toward the Euro camp than with US audiences, but they seem to have got it in the way that I did -- a most enjoyable bloody confection. Audio was quite the delectable sumtuousness making for my cake, whereas, as always, if filmic content adds icing to it, as here, so much the better.

Tags
Hansel Gretel Witch Hunters Blu Ray 3d