Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox – 1982
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 129 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English DTS-HD 1.0 Master Audio, Spanish Mono, DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Paul Newman, Jack Warder, James Mason, Charlotte Rampling, Milo O’Shea, Lindsey Crouse
Directed by: Sidney Lumet
Music by: Johnny Mandel
Written by: David Mamet based on the novel by Barry Reed
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: May 7, 2013

"What is the cost of redemption?"

Film Synopsis:

Frank Galvin is a boozy washed-up attorney with a losing streak a mile long. So when he's handed a lucrative out-of-court settlement, everyone expects him to take the money and run. But Frank is tired of running and recklessly brings the case to court...only to discover that if finding the whole truth is a little like trial an error, then finding real justice is a lot like trial by fire.

My Take:

Frank Galvin hasn’t had it easy, a once bright future was dimmed by a single incident that has left him bitter, and turning to alcohol for comfort. He has handled 3 cases in four years, lost them all and has resorted to ambulance chasing style law that only exacerbates his feeling of low self worth. When his associate/friend Mickey Morrissey comes to him with a medical malpractice case that is sure to be settled out of court for big money Frank sees it as his opportunity for a payday that will set him up. Upon accepting and entering into preliminary matters surrounding the case Frank is eager to settle until he takes a step back realizing that perhaps acceptance of the payout would take him down an unrecoverable path that might cost him his soul.

The Verdict is one of my favorite Paul Newman films. I find the character of Frank Galvin to be different from most of those he portrays. Based on the novel of the same name by Barry Reed, the narrative is a character study that revolves around Frank’s personal struggle and Newman’s nuanced performance captures the essence of his frail, conflicted persona and how this case pulls him from the depths of rock bottom. David Mamet’s superb script and Sidney Lumet’s focused yet subtle direction shape the story and derive the most from an excellent cast. The film was nominated for five Academy Awards, including Best Actor (Paul Newman), Best Actor in a Supporting Role (James Mason), Best Director (Sidney Lumet), Best Picture and Best screenplay (David Mamet). I haven’t The Verdict in years and this rewarding revisit proves that it hasn’t lost any of its luster and is as compelling a drama as ever.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

The Verdict comes to Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 23 mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 1.2 mbps.

This is a solid presentation for an older catalog release title and it appears to remain faithful to the film’s original elements. By design colors have a muted level of saturation and those used are rarely bright which keeps the palette limited. I would say that overall they are naturally rendered and appear to fall within the visual range intended. Fleshtones have complexional distinction but in some cases look drab, a little flat and lacking in texture. Blacks offer fair depth and above average delineation. Shadow detail is quite good which enhances visual perception and dimensionality during the scenes shot at night or in limited lighting (such as those that take place in the bowels of the prison). Resolution is adequate so that varying degrees of detail can be seen in close ups but the video isn’t razor sharp or dimensionally strong. It also isn’t very bright which coincides with the creative decisions of the filmmakers. Grain is preserved and appears naturally rendered. There is also some innate softening and intermittent speckles on the print but I didn’t find either to be obtrusive.

Fox has included lossless audio options in both mono and multi-channel. I opted to use the multi-channel DTS-HD Master Audio track which had no trouble handling the film’s recorded elements. The front three channels carry the majority of the film’s audio. The mix is spread across the front three channels with primary focus on the center channel with ambience bled to the right/left speakers. Clarity and detail are excellent which pays dividends during the film’s active and quieter moments. Bass frequencies are held to the upper registers which doesn’t leave much work for the subwoofer but I never missed them. The dated components in the recording are apparent but I thought it sounded fine

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary with Paul Newman & Sidney Lumet

• The making of The Verdict – 9 minute featurette

• Paul Newman: The craft of acting – 8 minute featurette

• Sidney Lumet: The craft of directing – 10 minute featurette

• Milestones in cinema history: The Verdict – 23 minute documentary

• Hollywood Backstories: The Verdict – 22 minute documentary

• Theatrical Trailer

Final Thoughts:

The Verdict is a cinematic gem that is as rewarding today as it was upon its release, and features the iconic Paul Newman in one of his finest performances. It makes its debut on Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox in this fan friendly package that includes gratifying high definition audio/video and a solid supplemental offering that includes an in-depth look at the film as told from behind the scenes via footage and cast/crew interviews. If you’re a fan this is a worthy addition to your Blu-ray collection.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 09:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 250
I would have given this a slightly higher score for PQ, I was pleasantly surprised at the detail. But I'm also hard pressed to ever find any fault with this film. it's one of my all-time favorites. Most of the story here is told between the lines, in fact the most famous scene has no dialog at all. This is an acting class on film.
slimm likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1039 Post(s)
Liked: 531
An amazing film with wonderful performances... a must buy. Off to Amazon I go. smile.gif The ending is still a classic of understated power and emotion. They don't make movies like this anymore. Even indie films tend to pile on the quirk or try to hard too make the film "look" different when it's all about the subtleties and nuances of an actor's performance of a riveting character and a solid screenplay. Something the audience can relate to and be absorbed by.

Another great coming to Blu-ray is Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman and Sir Lawrence Olivier. Is it safe? Hope Paramount doesn't muck it up.
slimm and Phantom Stranger like this.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #4 of 8 Old 05-31-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I would have given this a slightly higher score for PQ, I was pleasantly surprised at the detail. But I'm also hard pressed to ever find any fault with this film. it's one of my all-time favorites. Most of the story here is told between the lines, in fact the most famous scene has no dialog at all. This is an acting class on film.

Greetings,

I teetered back and forth and agree that this could have gone either way in terms of being a notch higher in the video department. I agree about the scene you are referring to as well... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #5 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 05:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 29
post #6 of 8 Old 06-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I've astoundingly never heard of this movie... If Ralph calls it a cinematic gem it's been moved to the top of my "must watch" list.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by dochollerin View Post

I've astoundingly never heard of this movie... If Ralph calls it a cinematic gem it's been moved to the top of my "must watch" list.
It is one of Newman's best performances and has a tight script by David Mamet. Easily one of the best courtroom dramas that Hollywood has ever produced.
slimm likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-22-2013, 07:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 65
I concur, one of the best films ever made.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Verdict Blu Ray Widescreen , Marantz Av8801 , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb , Svs Pb13 Ultra
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page