Oz the Great and Powerful 3D & 2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #91 of 193 Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by robnix View Post

I was floored when I saw this. I'd be interested in hearing the logic behind this boneheaded decision.

I thought it was nice there was a note that displayed telling the viewer of this. Other movies that I have like this don't give that notice so I usually don't realize at first that it's playing in stereo of DD 5.1 and not HD codecs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 193 Old 06-16-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by anikun07 View Post

I thought it was nice there was a note that displayed telling the viewer of this. Other movies that I have like this don't give that notice so I usually don't realize at first that it's playing in stereo of DD 5.1 and not HD codecs.

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ blurays. I can't think of a single one that defaults to stereo when there's a DTS-HD track available.

Looky here!
post #93 of 193 Old 06-16-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 500+ blurays. I can't think of a single one that defaults to stereo when there's a DTS-HD track available.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is what I watched tonight and it defaulted to stereo. It didnt even start on the disc menu, it just began the movie after the FBI warning.
post #94 of 193 Old 06-16-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is what I watched tonight and it defaulted to stereo. It didnt even start on the disc menu, it just began the movie after the FBI warning.

Please re-read what I said about never seeing a disc default to stereo when there's a DTS-HD track available.

As fas as HPatSS, there's no HD Audio track on the original bluray, you get either an LPCM 5.1 track or DD 5.1 EX. The "ultimate edition of HPatSS" has a DTS-HD Master Audio track it defaults to.

Looky here!
post #95 of 193 Old 06-17-2013, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

My apologies, you're absolutely right! What stood out in my mind was that track 1 was not the best audio track available.
post #96 of 193 Old 06-17-2013, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My apologies, you're absolutely right! What stood out in my mind was that track 1 was not the best audio track available.

True - that whole disc is a mess though. But that's another discussion. :-)

Looky here!
post #97 of 193 Old 06-17-2013, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 34
whoa! 100!

I alrady bought this and haven't watched it yet.
I liked the film and my daughter loves it.

SaM rAMI should get a lot of credit for this I suppose!
post #98 of 193 Old 06-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by BasementBob View Post

Just as one should see the original movie first, one should enjoy this bit of whimsy too..

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900): novel as a monetary allegory.
The Yellow Brick Road represents the gold standard and the Silver Shoes (ruby slippers in the movie) which enable Dorothy to travel more comfortably symbolizes the Populist Party's desire to construct a bimetallic standard of both gold and silver in place of the gold standard. She learns that to return home, she must reach the Emerald City, Oz's political center, to speak to the Wizard, representing the President of the United States. While journeying to the Emerald City, she encounters a scarecrow, who represents a farmer; a woodman made of tin, who represents a worker dehumanized by industrialization; and a cowardly lion, who represents William Jennings Bryan, a prominent leader of the Silverite movement. The villains of the story, the Wicked Witch of the West and the Wicked Witch of the East, represent the wealthy railroad and oil barons of the American West and the financial and banking interests of the eastern U.S. respectively. Both these groups opposed Populist efforts to move the U.S. to a bimetallic monetary standard since this would have devalued the dollar and made investments less valuable. Workers and poor farmers supported the move away from the gold standard as this would have lessened their crushing debt burdens. The Populist party sought to build a coalition of southern and midwestern tenant farmers and northern industrial workers. These groups are represented in the book by the Good Witches of the North and South. "Oz" is the abbreviated form of ounce, a standard measure of gold.

I prefer it as a drug related story - notice how Dorothy and her friends run through a poppy field and doze off only to be awakened by "snow" (cocaine) falling from the skies. All of Oz is one big vividly coloured place akin to an acid trip.

All kidding aside, I appreciated your posting here and have also seen the story compared to Zen teachings. (Yes there is a book on that too). Again thanks for the post and always interesting to see different takes on the Oz stories.
post #99 of 193 Old 06-17-2013, 09:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 53
When is the blu ray available to rent

How long does Disney make us wait?

neflixis our nemesis
post #100 of 193 Old 06-18-2013, 06:18 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Disney doesn't do the waiting game (yet).

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #101 of 193 Old 06-18-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

wow, this 3d disc is double the price of the previous ones.... industry is definitely trying to play some games on this one.

If your a fan of this movie and really want it on Blu-ray, but don't want to be price gouged by greedy Disney,
just wait until Black Friday to pick it up.

Good things come to those how wait. smile.gif

Benq W1080ST DLP 3D Projector
Sony BDP-S5200 3D Blu-ray Player
Denon X4000 Receiver
Pioneer SP-FS52 Tower Speaker x 4
Pioneer SP-C22 Center Channel Speaker
PSA XS15se Subwoofer x 2
post #102 of 193 Old 06-18-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

When is the blu ray available to rent

How long does Disney make us wait?
It's at REDBOX today -- good thing too as price/packaging doesn't look too favorable in the short term....
post #103 of 193 Old 06-18-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

It's at REDBOX today -- good thing too as price/packaging doesn't look too favorable in the short term....

nice!

neflixis our nemesis
post #104 of 193 Old 06-18-2013, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I just got my Netflix copy today. Looks like its only in DD 5.1. It even says DD 5.1 on Netflix's website in the Blu Ray details. I want to vomit.
post #105 of 193 Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 AM

Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Watched this one last night, and just have to give props to the audio engineers. Fantastic soundtrack, one of the best I've heard in fact. Extremely dynamic and explosive, and great LFE too. I did make sure I was listening to the DTS MA track. I will likely watch this again just for the audio experience.

post #106 of 193 Old 06-19-2013, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by capricorn kid View Post

I just got rented this from Netflix and watched it last night. The picture and sound are stunning. This is the second best audio presentation I have ever had in my theater. The bass was massive and the overall dynamics were outstanding.

Was lossless on the rental?

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
Klipsch RF82 II and RC62 II / Hsu VTF-15H (2)
Directv HR44-200 / HR24-500
post #107 of 193 Old 06-19-2013, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyd View Post

I just got my Netflix copy today. Looks like its only in DD 5.1. It even says DD 5.1 on Netflix's website in the Blu Ray details. I want to vomit.

Hunger Games and Cabin in the Woods were the same. This isn't uncommon for Netflix.

Looky here!
post #108 of 193 Old 06-19-2013, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Thats Lionsgate though, Disney usually doesnt do this. Im just wondering if people have assumed that since it defaults to the DD 5.1 track.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #109 of 193 Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post

Was lossless on the rental?

Yes. Although more than a few people seem to have trouble finding it.
post #110 of 193 Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member

THanks.

65" VT50 / BDP-S7200
Denon AVR-4520CI
post #111 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
We rented this from Redbox a couple of nights ago. The 7.1 audio is on the disc, and as mentioned above it's very difficult to find. It was labeled as a near field mix, which confused me a little. I've never seen a 7.1 setup that I would consider near field. Does anyone know what they mean by this?

I find it surprising that I saw some earlier in the thread actually wanting a combo pack. I find them stupid. I'd prefer they just sell me a 3D BR and none of the other junk that I'll never use. If I want to watch it in 2D, I can just put it in 2D mode. Different folks have different uses I suppose.

As for the movie itself, the script and the acting just didn't work for me. Pretty as it was, this won't be a purchase at our house.
post #112 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 11:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked: 251
I gave up on this movie about 45 min in. Got tired of waiting for an actual story to materialize, at least one that is interesting. Beautiful audio and image to be sure, but that's no substitute for an interesting story.
post #113 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I gave up on this movie about 45 min in. Got tired of waiting for an actual story to materialize, at least one that is interesting. Beautiful audio and image to be sure, but that's no substitute for an interesting story.

It was like Mr. Franco channeled Ryan Reynolds in "Green Lantern." The writers kept pounding the fact the guy was an (expletive) until I was ready to shout, "Yeah, I get it."

"I am NOT suffering from insanity... I happen to be enjoying myself!"

post #114 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitviper33 View Post

We rented this from Redbox a couple of nights ago. The 7.1 audio is on the disc, and as mentioned above it's very difficult to find. It was labeled as a near field mix, which confused me a little. I've never seen a 7.1 setup that I would consider near field. Does anyone know what they mean by this?

I find it surprising that I saw some earlier in the thread actually wanting a combo pack. I find them stupid. I'd prefer they just sell me a 3D BR and none of the other junk that I'll never use. If I want to watch it in 2D, I can just put it in 2D mode. Different folks have different uses I suppose.

As for the movie itself, the script and the acting just didn't work for me. Pretty as it was, this won't be a purchase at our house.

From what I understand, the audio on a bluray is remixed from a theater mix, to a 'near field' mix that suits the home environment better.

Looky here!
post #115 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

From what I understand, the audio on a bluray is remixed from a theater mix, to a 'near field' mix that suits the home environment better.

It occurred to me that they could mean that the speakers are just "nearer" the listener relative to a theater environment. But I believe that "near field" already has a meaning, and it's not that. Near field listening, as I understand it, means you're close enough to the sound source that the direct sound is all that comes into play. Reflected sound is attenuated enough to not strongly affect what reaches your ears. This is not the case in typical home viewing rooms setup for surround sound. When I think "near field" I usually think of desktop computer speakers, but I've never seen desktop computer speakers set up as 7.1. Maybe in movie mixer parlance it has the meaning you describe.
post #116 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

saw it last night and liked it a lot

way better than i anticipated.

original, creative screenplay, great pq and outstanding audio

a lot of fun to watch.

now i wish i had checked this out in the theaters.

neflixis our nemesis
post #117 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

saw it last night and liked it a lot

way better than i anticipated.

original, creative screenplay, great pq and outstanding audio

a lot of fun to watch.

now i wish i had checked this out in the theaters.

We watched it at home last night in 2D, and we agree with you. Understandably, some folks can pick it apart pretty easily. Nonetheless, even when I read less than positive evaluations, I go into every film with a positive and somewhat uncritical mind so I can let the movie have unfettered access to present itself to me. We love our HT enough that almost everything is "good enough" and something like Oz is way above average in sound and vision, notwithstanding the acting and storyline being average most of the time, though pretty satisfying lots of times, too.

My GF was fascinated by the China Doll, so that was enough right there to carry her along, and Zack Braf's Finley was a favorite of hers and mine as well. I've never been much of a Franco fan, but he wasn't terrible, and the part wasn't that great to begin with.

Like you, we had fun watching it.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #118 of 193 Old 06-20-2013, 11:32 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkeeler10 View Post

Watched this one last night, and just have to give props to the audio engineers. Fantastic soundtrack, one of the best I've heard in fact. Extremely dynamic and explosive, and great LFE too. I did make sure I was listening to the DTS MA track. I will likely watch this again just for the audio experience.
and:
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Maybe there should be a separate pricing slash combo + why didn't it come with popcorn thread biggrin.gif As there are few post on the review itself.

Anyway great write up Ralph, although I thought the story was good and perhaps worthy of a sequel , the score of 100 was well deserved and I'm sure this one was easy to give. As for PQ I can only speak on the 2D version but that was one pristine image and some of the best shadow detailing to date, the colors were rich and bold and well saturated and no trace of grain. The audio soundtrack had some of the best recorded dialog I've heard and the rest needs no comments on what easily rivals the best if not bettering them in the process.

Decent year for movies thus far and nice to see Disney can still make you believe! smile.gif

Thank you for the kind words about the Sound Mix. Chris Jacobson and Myself mixed it at both Sony Pictures and my facility "The Dub Stage"
www.thedubstage.com

Working with Sam Raimi is the best!
We mixed it Theatrically in 7.1 and 5.1 and also in "Auro-3D 11.1" and 7.1 and 5.1 for Home Theater Blu-Ray.
It is called "Nearfield because we set up the 7.1 and 5.1 mix with speakers much closer to the mix position
and at a lower level than the Theatrical mix. We then adjust the mix to replicate what the Theatrical mix was
for watching in Blu-ray at home. It is NOT desktop speakers, it is full range near field speakers with 8" woofers and dual 12" sub.
We were very happy with the translation, lots of dynamic range yet all the
dialog and subtle stuff translated as we expected.We had all the original tracks and not just stems so we could raise or lower
any track as needed for the Nearfield mix for Blu-Ray.
Thanks again to Ralph and to you for your kind comments.
willmo and MemX like this.
post #119 of 193 Old 06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

and:
Thank you for the kind words about the Sound Mix. Chris Jacobson and Myself mixed it at both Sony Pictures and my facility "The Dub Stage"
www.thedubstage.com

We mixed it Theatrically in 7.1 and 5.1 and also in "Auro-3D 11.1" and 7.1 and 5.1 for Home Theater Blu-Ray.
It is called "Nearfield because we set up the 7.1 and 5.1 mix with speakers much closer to the mix position
and at a lower level than the Theatrical mix. We then adjust the mix to replicate what the Theatrical mix was
for watching in Blu-ray at home. It is NOT desktop speakers, it is full range near field speakers with 8" woofers and dual 12" sub.
dialog and subtle stuff translated as we expected.We had all the original tracks and not just stems so we could raise or lower

Its nice to know passion still abounds in movies and I look forward to more great soundtracks.

keep up the good work and gentlemen, my hats off to you wink.gif

Regards

Jeff smile.gif
post #120 of 193 Old 06-21-2013, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post

and:
www.thedubstage.com

Greetings,

dr. sound, thank you for your work on this terrific soundtrack and for taking the time to chime in on this thread. It is always appreciated when we can hear from those like yourself that make the experience at home such an enjoyable one. smile.gif

Best regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page