Oz the Great and Powerful 3D & 2D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #181 of 193 Old 08-10-2013, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Watched the 2D version of this last night and while the video and audio were excellent, I'm glad I rented this one. I wasn't really surprised at the cheesiness, but the main actors were really struggling with their characters in my opinion. The one saving grace was Rachel Weisz who seemed to have a lot of fun with the role.

If I had one gripe about the presentation it would be the digital skin smoothing they did to many of Mila Kunis' scenes. It doesn't look right at all and I didn't think it served a purpose at all. Not really a complaint on the transfer side, but there were a few scenes in particular that looked downright ugly due to the face smoothing (such as when Oz and Theodora are hiding under the waterfall).

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions Brad.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 193 Old 08-10-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Always a pleasure reading your reviews, Ralph. One thing's for certain, the part with the twister may have relocated a few decorations around the house. biggrin.gif

PSN ID/XBOX Live! Gamertag: BiffCo
My SD/HD movie collection
post #183 of 193 Old 08-11-2013, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Brad View Post

Always a pleasure reading your reviews, Ralph. One thing's for certain, the part with the twister may have relocated a few decorations around the house. biggrin.gif

Greetings,

I'll bet! biggrin.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #184 of 193 Old 08-12-2013, 04:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I saw this movie yesterday. Nice movie, actors did a nice job. The Wizard Of Oz are to big shoes to fill so in that regard the film was disappointing.
post #185 of 193 Old 10-06-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 368
Bought the 3d version based on this review. The video/3d did not disappoint and was excellent!

The audio was a let down though. The sound and especially the bass did not sound right. This is the first time I've ever switched from the lossless dtshd 7.1 version to the 5.1 lossy Dolby version with better sound as a result.

I would imagine a lossless 5.1 mix would sound even better (as usual on blu ray). In trying to understand why I got this result I could only guess that the lossy 5.1 mix was the original theatrical mix. Anyone know if this is the case?

Very disappointed frown.gif

Edit : if so is there anyway to get the theatrical version in lossless? That's what I buy blurays for....
post #186 of 193 Old 10-07-2013, 12:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post

Bought the 3d version based on this review. The video/3d did not disappoint and was excellent!

The audio was a let down though. The sound and especially the bass did not sound right. This is the first time I've ever switched from the lossless dtshd 7.1 version to the 5.1 lossy Dolby version with better sound as a result.

I would imagine a lossless 5.1 mix would sound even better (as usual on blu ray). In trying to understand why I got this result I could only guess that the lossy 5.1 mix was the original theatrical mix. Anyone know if this is the case?

Very disappointed frown.gif

Edit : if so is there anyway to get the theatrical version in lossless? That's what I buy blurays for....

You should read though this thread there are many references here about the soundtrack.

Personally its one of my new all time reference disc for audio(especially) and video, sorry to hear it didn't do it for you wink.gif
post #187 of 193 Old 10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1216 View Post

Appreciate the feedback, but I don't believe there are any issues with my setup. Played many a disc with no issues. It could be no one was listening for it. I would still like on of those that says the sound was fine to take a dialog scene, like where Oz first meets Glinda, and first listen to the DTS soundtrack. They sound like there are in some huge soundstage. then select Dolby 5.1. Voices are as one would normally hear.

Also, I see the post above was from Dr. Sound who actually did the mixing. Amazing to get direct feedback like that. I will revisit my settings to see if anything could account for what I heard. I can state I have never thought twice about tweaking my settings on any previous disc before.

i think this might have happened to me. After the black and white part was over I started to feel like something was not quite right in the audio, so I started switching to the lossless 5.1 dolby digital mix. In 5.1 dialogue sounded smoother, highs not as harsh, and bass was deeper. I also have a denon (x4000) receiver so maybe its a glitch? Were you listening at close to reference during both times you watched it?
post #188 of 193 Old 10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:

i think this might have happened to me. After the black and white part was over I started to feel like something was not quite right in the audio, so I started switching to the lossless 5.1 dolby digital mix. In 5.1 dialogue sounded smoother, highs not as harsh, and bass was deeper. I also have a denon (x4000) receiver so maybe its a glitch? Were you listening at close to reference during both times you watched it?

I thought the same thing but in the black and white part only. Literally 2 minutes after it went to color the sound was reference for me. I thought this was purposely mixed that way. Sort of a tribute to the original if you will. Am I the only one that thought this?
audiofan1 likes this.
post #189 of 193 Old 10-07-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I'd have to go back for that part - honestly i was really distracted with how well they did the 3d in that initial sequence that I didn't pay much attention until he started going up in the baloon into the tornado - i seem to remember it feeling choppy right around there and maybe that's when I started getting sensitive to the sound. In all cases though, when I switched it to the 5.1 mix everything felt better, but then I just had that nagging feeling that I was missing what 'lossless' could be giving me.

the strange part is I rarely get OCD enough to go switching mixes, but in this case I was actually about ready to redo my whole setup thinking something was wrong. After the movie I had to put in another movie just to make sure everything in my setup sounded right.
post #190 of 193 Old 10-07-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 407
Quote:

I'd have to go back for that part - honestly i was really distracted with how well they did the 3d in that initial sequence that I didn't pay much attention until he started going up in the baloon into the tornado - i seem to remember it feeling choppy right around there and maybe that's when I started getting sensitive to the sound. In all cases though, when I switched it to the 5.1 mix everything felt better, but then I just had that nagging feeling that I was missing what 'lossless' could be giving me.

the strange part is I rarely get OCD enough to go switching mixes, but in this case I was actually about ready to redo my whole setup thinking something was wrong.

Oh wow don't do that! I don't have a 3D panel so it's 2D for me but yeah I could see how that could distract you. I had the remote in my hand and was checking my settings and scratching my head because I read all the reviews and thought people were loosin it biggrin.gif
Then the sound just did a complete 180.
post #191 of 193 Old 10-07-2013, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

I do have to clarify, the sound was great once in 5.1. If I hadn't been distracted by the other mix for 30-40 mins, I would have watched away blissfully from start to end - the bass was fantastic after the switch. The 3d alone made the buy worth it.
comfynumb likes this.
post #192 of 193 Old 11-07-2013, 09:18 PM

Liked: 18
Guys the Mix was MONO from the zoom in after the Opening credits to mid way of the balloon with Oz
in the basket where it opens up into surround ( either 7.1 or 5.1 depending on how you are listening)
post #193 of 193 Old 01-01-2014, 02:09 AM

Liked: 10

Hi.  I realize it's been a while since this thread has been active.  I was hoping dr.sound was still lurking because I want to ask him:

At what actual level was the near-field track mixed at?  Another poster made mention of Audyssey Dynamic EQ.  Dynamic EQ is a loudness correction method that requires the correct "reference level offset" to be specified to work properly.  Audyssey generally advises using "reference level offset: 0" for all movies on the assumption that the sound tracks are mixed for 85 dB SPL.  If the actual mix is done at a different level, than this offset must be adjusted accordingly.

I've only recently learned that mixes for DVD and Blu-ray are very often done at lower levels.  While I understand the pragmatic reasons for reducing dynamics (even if I'd rather this not be done, at least for one of the audio tracks), I don't understand at all why these mixes are done at lower levels.  Just about any surround sound AVR or processor is capable of providing the necessary gain.  Most consumers will increase the volume if they can't hear the dialog.  Unfortunately when releases are mixed at lower levels, the enthusiasts with reference level capable systems may end up playing them back too loud, and of course, those of us with Audyssey Dynamic EQ may be using too much loudness compensation resulting in excessive output of extreme lows and highs and surrounds that play out of balance with the front stage!

All whining aside, I thought Oz sounded great on my home system and am strongly considering buying it for its demo-ability despite the rather lame plot and casting.  :)  When I played it back on my system, I started at -5 (from cinema reference) and eventually backed it down to -10 as any high and many familiar sounds (i.e., doors opening and closing in the black and white scenes) sounded unrealistically loud.  After settling into -10, I also switched my Dynamic EQ reference offset to -10.  I was surprised at how much bass and dynamics still came through at this level, but I also couldn't help but wonder what might have been sacrificed with 10 dB less headroom.

So was the mixing done at 75 dB?  Admittedly my system, as it is currently calibrated, sounds subjectively a bit brighter and (as a consequence) louder than I think it should.  That's despite my having calibrated for a flat instantaneous response rather than a flat direct response.  My speakers have high directivity horns, so I use a kind of X-curve (albeit a milder version) to target a flat instantaneous response, which is verified using windowed measurements.  I expect the subjective balance will improve once my room is treated for its boundary problems.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy , Oz The Great And Powerful Blu Ray 3d Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page