Feature running time: 107 minutes
Genre: Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English DTS 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring: Tina Fey, Paul Rudd, Gloria Reuben, Michael Sheen, Wallace Shawn, Lily Tomlin
Directed by: Paul Weitz
Music by: Stephen Trask
Written by: Karen Croner based on the novel by Jean Hanff Korelitz
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 9, 2013

"Get admitted"

Film Synopsis:

Year in and year out, Princeton admissions officer Portia Nathan (Fey) has lived her life by the book. But during her annual recruiting trip, she visits an alternative learning high school where she meets teacher John Pressman (Rudd). As she bends the entrance rules for one of his gifted students, Portia puts at risk the future she thought she always wanted, and finds her way to a surprising and exhilarating life she never dreamed of having.

My Take:

Every spring, high school seniors anxiously await letters of college admission that will affirm and encourage their potential. Straitlaced and ambitious Princeton University admissions officer Portia Nathan (Tina Fey) lives life by the book both at work as well as at the home she shares with Princeton professor Mark (Michael Sheen). Portia is caught off-guard when she makes a recruiting visit to an alternative high school overseen by the free-spirited teacher John Pressman (Paul Rudd) who just happens to be a former classmate of hers from college. Pressman has surmised that Jeremiah (Nat Wolff), his gifted yet very unconventional student, might well be the son that Portia secretly gave up for adoption many years ago. Soon, Portia finds herself bending the rules for Jeremiah, putting at risk the life and promotion she thought she always wanted. What she comes to learn in the process is that there is more to happiness than living life by the book.

Admission is an amiable dramedy that leans a bit more toward drama and eschews romance more than I expected. The laughs feel forced especially considering the pedigree of the two stars but in light of the film’s thematic tone I wouldn’t deem it problematic. I found the depiction of the admission/selection process to be rather interesting and enjoyed the sentimentality and engaging banter between Fey and Rudd, both of whom I find appealing. For a movie if its type Admission runs longer than necessary which occasionally left me checking my watch especially early on. Furthermore there is an uneven cadence to the narrative as its theme is spread just a bit too wide which makes you wonder exactly where it is going at times. Regardless there is enough here to appeal to genre fans especially those who like the talents of leads Fey and Rudd who make the most of what they have to work with.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for language and some sexual maerial.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 82

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation:

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Admission comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This is a pleasing video presentation that boasts plenty of high level detail, enriching contrast, natural colors and dimensionality. Blacks are punchy and stand out when onscreen with mixed content. Visual perspective in low lighting and darkened areas is estimable. The combination gives dark scenes appreciable depth. Images are dynamic, vivid, and perfectly suited for the source material while exhibiting no signs of video related artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack presents the film’s source elements with aplomb. The quality of the dialogue is unwavering as vocal reproduction is clear and tonally balanced. Dynamic range is very good which lends subtle distinction to low level sounds and gravity to broader ones. A large portion of the film has little need for this as dialogue, atmospheric ambience and musical enhancement is readily conveyed by the front channels. However there are several sequences that enlist the rear channels to create a bit of audible immersion. Overall this soundtrack provides a gratifying listening experience that complimented the video presentation quite nicely.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Early admission with Paul Rudd and Tina Fey – 12 minute promotional featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel of the same name by Jean Hanff Korelitz Admission is an amiable albeit thematically uneven comedy/drama that works thanks to the efforts of leads Paul Rudd and Tina Fey. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios Home Entertainment featuring pleasing high definition video, complimentary lossless sound quality and noticeably lacking supplemental package that consists of a single promotional making of featurette. Admission is worth a rental when you’re up for a little dramedy on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 154
I really enjoyed it. Nice having a comedy that isn't crude. Lily Tomlin was great.

S~
Ishniknork likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #3 of 4 Old 08-10-2013, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

I really enjoyed it. Nice having a comedy that isn't crude. Lily Tomlin was great.

S~

Greetings,

Agreed! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #4 of 4 Old 09-02-2013, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachsac View Post

S~
Ditto! I thought this was a really good comedy / drama unlike most I've seen lately. Funny and heat-warming in a very good way.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Sony Playstation 3 60 Gb
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page