Starring:Julianne Moore, Jonathan Rhys Meyers, Jeffrey DeMunn, Nate Corddry
Directed by: Måns Mårlind, Björn Stein
Written by: Michael Cooney
Music by: John Frizzell
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 2, 2013

"The Sheltering Has Begun."

Film Synopsis:

A female forensic psychiatrist discovers that all of one of her patient's multiple personalities are murder victims. She will have to find out what's happening before her time is finished.

My Take:

An interesting premise that tangled itself up in its own multiple personalities, 6 Souls AKA 2010s "Shelter", changed up genres and intent a bit more than I like, on its way to its "big reveal'.

Silly me to assume a film with names like Julianne Moore (Crazy, Stupid, Love, & Magnolia) and Jonathan Rhys Meyers (The Tudors, MI3) must suck when my research told me this was filmed in 2008, and its original title of "Shelter" changed. Never released in the states (besides a limited release congruent with this BD release) I went in ready for a turd. I must admit, given some fundamental flaws in its pacing and story-telling, I did enjoy the idea and acting behind 6 Souls enough to get through until the end and come out alive to tell you all the tale...

The story follows our anti-heroine, Dr. Cara Harding (Moore) after the loss of her husband. In an effort to open her mind to any "anything is possible" attitude, her father, also a psychiatrist, tests her by introducing her to Adam (Rhys Meyers), a patient with multiple personality disorder. Once Cara discovers these personalities are all murder victims, she investigates deeper to a point where she puts herself and her family in harms way in this all to wanna-be clever and twisty generic genre piece.

So the good is that the production values, acting and mood saved an all to desperate to be awesome screenplay from Michael Cooney, who attempted another twisty multiple personality film with 2007s Identity, which I also had issue with. The bad is the fact that it never seemed settled in what is was (Horror? A thriller? A drama??), and it never excelled at any of them. It's a decent rental and time passer for fans of these type of flicks.

Parental Guide:

Rated R for violent content, disturbing images and terror

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

6 Souls comes to Blu-ray from Anchor Bay featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 21.4 mbps and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound that has an average bitrate of 3.3mbps

6 Souls was filmed in 35mm, and this transfer shows off all the beauty of film. A darker and slightly stylized production, colors are often on the cold side, and blacks are strong, however, they do tend to crush on the really dimly let scenes. Fine details add to the pop of the transfer and all-in-all this is a fine looking Hi-Def presentation. The films lossless DTS-HD audio track was a stand-out with a wide dynamic range, deep guttural LFE and a effectively overcooked surround field that help any suspense the film was trying to muster. Dialouge was always discernible and placed well in the sound-stage.

Bonus Features:

• Zip, Zilch and Nada.

Final Thoughts:

Thanks to a strong presentation from Anchor Bay, 6 Souls is raised from the land of the passable and completely unremarkable, becoming a halfway decent watch. Don't expect much in the way of chills, but you should enjoy the look, mood and acting from Moore and Rhys Meyers. No extras put the nail in the coffin here, making a rental the highest recommendation I can give to interested parties.

Lee Weber
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review Systems:

JVC DLA-RS4810 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65VT30 3D 1080p Plasma
Marantz NR1603 Receiver
Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
MKSound MP-7 LCR's
MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer

Lee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-03-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 448
I watched this tonight streamed from Netflix and it was a decent movie and worth the watch wink.gifwink.gifwink.gif
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2013, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good sound helped the suspense.

This flew under the radar, but I'm glad I gave it a watch.

In my opinion, much better than the "paranormal activity" type of scares. There is more substance to the creepiness here.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-25-2013, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFVUE3 View Post

Good sound helped the suspense.

This flew under the radar, but I'm glad I gave it a watch.

In my opinion, much better than the "paranormal activity" type of scares. There is more substance to the creepiness here.

Just out of curiosity, did you watch the Paranormal Activity film(s) on a good sound system? It takes a LOT to unnerve me, and when I watched PA for the first time, it was just after I had been away from my HT rig a while (due to a move) and gotten it set up again. There were some sound effects that were pretty effective, IMO...and my lady friend was so damn scared to walk back to her apartment that she ended up on the couch for a few hours until the sun came up lol.

post #5 of 5 Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post

Just out of curiosity, did you watch the Paranormal Activity film(s) on a good sound system? It takes a LOT to unnerve me, and when I watched PA for the first time, it was just after I had been away from my HT rig a while (due to a move) and gotten it set up again. There were some sound effects that were pretty effective, IMO...and my lady friend was so damn scared to walk back to her apartment that she ended up on the couch for a few hours until the sun came up lol.

Yes - I watched/heard it on a good system. The only reason I compared this with Paranormal Activity was other reviews I had read about 6 Souls mentioned Paranormal Activity as a comparison, but they're completely different movies. PA had the boo/scares which provided some gotcha moments for sure, but thoughout the movie I had the feeling the "evil" force could do whatever it wanted & whenever - just a matter of time. 6 Souls reminded me of X-Files. The storyline at least started out very interesting (but kind of fell apart as it went along) - but it had more motivation behind what was going on and why.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
6 Souls Blu Ray Widescreen , Onkyo Prsc5509 9 2 Channel 3d Ready Preamplifier , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Marantz Nr1603 Slim Line Av Receiver , Sony Blu Ray Disc Player Bdp S790
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page