Feature running time: 92 minutes
Genre: Action

Disc Format: BD-25
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.85:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Sylvester Stallone, Sung Kang, Sarah Shahi, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Jason Momoa, Christian Slater
Directed by: Walter Hill
Music by: Steve Mazzaro
Written by: Alessandro Camon based on the graphic novel “Du Plomb Dans La Tete” by Matz
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July16, 2013

"Revenge never gets old"

Film Synopsis:

Sylvester Stallone stars as Jimmy Bobo, a New Orleans hitman who forms an alliance with Washington D.C. detective Taylor Kwon to bring down the killer of their respective partners.

My Take:

Based on Alexis Nolent's French graphic novel, Du Plomb Dans La Tete, Bullet to the Head tells the story of a New Orleans hit man Jimmy “Bobo” (Stallone) and Washington DC Detective Taylor Kwon (Kang) who form an unlikely alliance in search of answers involving the recent murders of Kwon’s ex-partner and Jimmy’s only friend/partner Louis. Each with their own agenda the two men clash as they slowly begin to uncover the truth. Finally coming to the realization that as much as they don’t like one another, no one else can be trusted, they come face to face with those responsible with only one possible outcome. The problem is that Jimmy sees it one way and Taylor another. Will it be the cop or the hit man that settles the score?

I like Sylvester Stallone and have since seeing Rocky in the theater in 1976. Over the years he has proven that once you find a niche you stick with what works. That isn’t to suggest that from time to time he hasn’t ventured beyond however it is evident that his bread and butter has been in the action/thriller genre. Let’s give credit where it is due and acknowledge that he is a bonafide star that has managed to remain successful for 40 plus years in a business where popularity comes and goes in the blink of an eye. I look at him at 67 years old and am amazed at the physical specimen that he is. If you’ve ever listened to him speak he is a very intelligent individual who truly knows his craft.

Okay enough about that and on to Bullet to the head. It’s a throwback style genre piece with a translucent plot and heady action that makes no excuses for its clichéd context and ineffectual characterizations. Its goal is clearly to provide a brash bit of escapism that asks very little of the audience other than to take it for what it is. While I had a few problems with the corny dialogue and veiled screenplay I got a kick out of some of the action and watching Sly shoot just about everyone he didn’t like in the head was entertaining especially with how they staged it. Jason Momoa was a fairly credible bad guy and his faceoff with Stallone in the finale wasn’t bad at all. The remainder of the cast including Sung Kang phoned it in and added little. At the end of day Stallone was the driving force and the sole reason to even bother with Bullet to the head. It’s really not a very good film but I think it achieves its goal and is a viable entry in the pool of mindlessly entertaining films we get a craving for from time to time.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for strong violence, bloody images, language, some nudity and brief drug use.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Bullet to the head comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4 Mbps.

This is a dark film both in tone and visual design and this video presentation capably conveys that. The use of muted secondary colors gives the film a stark visual aesthetic that coincides with the subject matter. When brighter elements such as shades of red, or blue are present, they have a vivid and pleasing quality. More often than not fleshtones lean toward lighter/pale looking complexions however I noticed livelier tonality during several sequences that utilized warmer accent lighting and deeper color emphasis. Detail in dark areas and low lighting is good which provides discernible visibility within backgrounds. Blacks are respectable but not definitively rich in contrast. High definition resolution is satisfying as close ups are well delineated and long range visuals are reasonably sharp. While not among the best high definition offerings on Blu-ray I found little to complain about with the overall quality of this video presentation.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does a nice job rendering the film’s soundtrack. Dialogue has excellent intonation and clarity which allows even subtle changes in vocal pitch to be appreciable. This is a well balanced audio presentation that quite often engages the entire system. Dynamic range is excellent and the soundstage has an open expression that allows its elements to extend well into the room. Discrete rear channel activity isn’t extensive however the action based elements provide an enriching level of immersion which is generated by a seamless sound field, empowering by near field sound effects and robust dynamics that energize the room. The LFE channel is frequently active and reproduces the film’s extended lower bass frequencies with visceral impact that has excellent tactility.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Bullet to the head: Mayhem Inc. – 9 minute making of featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on Alexis Nolent's French graphic novel, Du Plomb Dans La Tete, Bullet to the Head is a throwback style genre piece with a translucent plot and heady action that is clearly designed to provide a brash bit of escapism that asks very little of the audience other than to take it for what it is. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring solid technical elements and a disappointing supplemental offering that consists of brief making of production featurette. Bullet to the head isn’t an especially memorable film however it musters enough testosterone to qualify for the kind of mindless entertainment we action junkies crave from time to time. In that light it’s not a bad quick fix rental on movie night.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Thanks for the review Ralph and I'll probably rent this one.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Nice review. I liked it more than Ralph did. It was directed by Walter Hill, who gave us "48 Hours' and the Charles Bronson bare knuckle classic "Hard Times." "Bullet" has a bit of Hill's style and some good photography and Cajun blues music produced by Hans Zimmer. I found the dialogue to be fairly funny. But you can't take me anywhere. The Blu-Ray extras are very skimpy and Ralph is right about Sun Kang not growing old in American movies. Stallone's unprintable line before his axe fight with Jason (Game of Thrones) Momoa is a classic!
post #4 of 27 Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I liked most of it but found the "blues music" in the background constantly a little overwhelming. Would have been better to mix it up a little. Otherwise a way better movie than I expected. Probably a B- to a solid B.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Man, how does stallone stay in such great shape?!?!

He must use an ab-lounger or something. smile.gif
post #6 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickboy2k View Post

Man, how does stallone stay in such great shape?!?!

He must use an ab-lounger or something. smile.gif
If memory serves me correctly, he was caught in an airport a few years ago with either HGH, anabolic steroids, or both in his luggage.

post #7 of 27 Old 07-09-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

If memory serves me correctly, he was caught in an airport a few years ago with either HGH, anabolic steroids, or both in his luggage.

Perhaps, but the reason he's in the shape he's in, is because of dedication and a lifestyle devoted to fitness. Nobody gets in great shape by taking steroids and sitting around, especially at 67. They simply extend your genetic limitations regarding growth.

As for the movie ? 6.5-7/10. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Last Stand. Arnold needs to train with Stallone!
post #8 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 31
On my list for Blu's to get... Not a must have, but I like the guy...so I will support him and Warner and Best Buy and who ever else that's on the money train.

Thanks for yet another great review King P

By the way...looking for the new Evil Dead review... Anything king P ?
post #9 of 27 Old 07-10-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67 View Post

On my list for Blu's to get... Not a must have, but I like the guy...so I will support him and Warner and Best Buy and who ever else that's on the money train.

Thanks for yet another great review King P

By the way...looking for the new Evil Dead review... Anything king P ?

Greetings,

It's always a pleasure EagleFAN67. smile.gif

Lee is going to cover the new Evil Dead Blu-ray release. Look for later this week or over the weekend.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #10 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Perhaps, but the reason he's in the shape he's in, is because of dedication and a lifestyle devoted to fitness. Nobody gets in great shape by taking steroids and sitting around, especially at 67. They simply extend your genetic limitations regarding growth.

As for the movie ? 6.5-7/10. I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more than Last Stand. Arnold needs to train with Stallone!

Yes he does have to work out and train hard, but he is supplementing with non-natural products and has for a long time. Dr. Franco Columbo,, old training partner of Arnold, stated so a long time ago when he was training him for one of the early Rambo's or Rocky's. As somebody who is approaching 50 with fairly genetically gifted lean muscle mass, and trains 6-7 days a week, I would bet a great amount of money what's happening in him is no longer natural chemicals.

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #11 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 05:09 PM

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Yes he does have to work out and train hard, but he is supplementing with non-natural products and has for a long time. Dr. Franco Columbo,, old training partner of Arnold, stated so a long time ago when he was training him for one of the early Rambo's or Rocky's. As somebody who is approaching 50 with fairly genetically gifted lean muscle mass, and trains 6-7 days a week, I would bet a great amount of money what's happening in him is no longer natural chemicals.

Not disputing that at all. My original comment was simply that in order to look like that, he has to work really hard at it, as an entire lifestyle, so he shouldn't be discounted as some guy who would be a geezer but he takes steroids so now he's shredded.

Steroids are a personal choice with known medical benefits and detriments. I take a moral issue against steroids in competition where steroids are not allowed, but I don't really have a moral stance on a fitness enthusiast who educates him/herself and weighs the pros/cons before using.
post #12 of 27 Old 07-11-2013, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanc View Post

Not disputing that at all. My original comment was simply that in order to look like that, he has to work really hard at it, as an entire lifestyle, so he shouldn't be discounted as some guy who would be a geezer but he takes steroids so now he's shredded.

Steroids are a personal choice with known medical benefits and detriments. I take a moral issue against steroids in competition where steroids are not allowed, but I don't really have a moral stance on a fitness enthusiast who educates him/herself and weighs the pros/cons before using.

Agree, I still remember an old article and I mean from at least 20 years ago in Muscle and Fitness. Steroids have over 200 effects on the body, 40 of them are positive. I guess if I could make multiple millions of dollars would I take the 1 in 5 odds? :-)

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #13 of 27 Old 07-24-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I liked it!..I knew just what to expect from Stallone and he did not disappoint. Mindless entertainment for the times you just want to let go! wink.gif .
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #14 of 27 Old 07-28-2013, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Sarah Shahi ain't bad either!
post #15 of 27 Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Thanks for your review Ralph, Picked it up tonight..
I Liked most of his flicks, Especially the Rambo Days biggrin.gif
post #16 of 27 Old 07-29-2013, 11:30 PM

Liked: 12
I'll wait on this one, at least until it hits that $10 rack of Blu-Ray movies at Wally World. Maybe it'll be in a combo pack. smile.gif
post #17 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Got to love it. This will end up in my collection for the audacious audio alone -- just the way I like it: full-bodied music filling the room and action punctuated by slammin' low freqiness throughout. The deadpan dry dialogue is meant to be matter-of-fact Sly-funny, as is the paraded panoply of swift peremptory penalties perpetually perpetrated as pageant of mass assassination by a casually irked Stallone whose priority-one punt when in doubt is death-delivering lead to the head -- no-frills remorseless killing of dudes that need it done to 'em -- can't get much more pared down than that. Surprisingly effective faux noir bit of filler sport for our self-assured ageless action man. A knowing subversive smirk and appreciation for rockin' audio will get you through this one a little bit happier for having seen it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Loved your post Emaych.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 08:09 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Regards,

Same here! Been enjoying reading Emaych's Oblivion posts in the various threads as well.

Between your review Ralph and Emaych's post, I think I am going to Redbox this today along with Olympus Has Fallen. Should be a fun audio day. cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #20 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Same here! Been enjoying reading Emaych's Oblivion posts in the various threads as well.

Between your review Ralph and Emaych's post, I think I am going to Redbox this today along with Olympus Has Fallen. Should be a fun audio day. cool.gif
Please note that BULLET TO THE HEAD runs rings around OLYMPUS in the audio department -- the latter had plenty of LFE, but not very varied and seemed strangely disembodied from the track, whereas BTTH was well integrated, near-field immersive and starts right off rockin your socks with a CG bullet penetrating the early logos. Also just a much more fun movie -- it took somewhat cliched techniques, pushed them over the top, deadpanned them and made the flick some good winking fun that you didn't have to take seriously -- Olympus was just cliched, and tediously so....
post #21 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Regards,
Thanks Ralph. I appreciate that, as I do your dead-on reviews -- you have your finger on the pulse and manage weekly to capture the most accurate assessment of what we're being given, of anyone on the net. I had a little fun with my BULLET blurb -- it was a fun flick after all, and I ended up thinking once again, you nailed it perfectly. Good on you and thanks!
post #22 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post

Please note that BULLET TO THE HEAD runs rings around OLYMPUS in the audio department -- the latter had plenty of LFE, but not very varied and seemed strangely disembodied from the track, whereas BTTH was well integrated, near-field immersive and starts right off rockin your socks with a CG bullet penetrating the early logos. Also just a much more fun movie -- it took somewhat cliched techniques, pushed them over the top, deadpanned them and made the flick some good winking fun that you didn't have to take seriously -- Olympus was just cliched, and tediously so....

Thanks for your impressions Emaych. Intersting thing which supports your "disembodied" description is OHF looks to be largely in the 20hz and under range as far as the LFE, but strangely lacking in the range above that in many of the graphs posted so far. Unfiltered LFE is great of course, but when the mid/upper range is not fully there to compliment it, I can see how it might feel as you mention. IDK, I am curious to hear this track.
Ralph Potts likes this.

post #23 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^Wow, nice! I don't follow that graph stuff too much, but this track really did sound strange to my ear -- and there's the explanation -- thanks! Also thanks to you for your kind words and support -- often the net is so chock full of negativity, it's hard to justify participating in it, but every once in awhile you get some encouragement and that is uplifting and very welcome....
post #24 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Thanks Ralph. I appreciate that, as I do your dead-on reviews -- you have your finger on the pulse and manage weekly to capture the most accurate assessment of what we're being given, of anyone on the net. I had a little fun with my BULLET blurb -- it was a fun flick after all, and I ended up thinking once again, you nailed it perfectly. Good on you and thanks!

Greetings,

Thanks and you're very welcome. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 27 Old 08-18-2013, 02:15 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

^^^Wow, nice! I don't follow that graph stuff too much, but this track really did sound strange to my ear -- and there's the explanation -- thanks! Also thanks to you for your kind words and support -- often the net is so chock full of negativity, it's hard to justify participating in it, but every once in awhile you get some encouragement and that is uplifting and very welcome....

You're welcome and thanks. smile.gif

Just finished this disc and had similar feelings to both you and Ralph. This was a lot of fun on the audio side. cool.gif

Enjoyed the film as well. Great to see an R rated Stallone flick!

post #26 of 27 Old 01-11-2014, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Watched it today as a rental. Too bad we don't get the 9 minute extra- as if someone would buy it for the 9 minutes. Funny seeing all the photos of Stallone in the movie from his younger days before all the plastic surgery.
post #27 of 27 Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 125
I keep forgetting about this one...need to see it.

Quick story, since Ralph mentioned seeing Rocky in the theaters back in the 70s...

Back in the early 80s, my buddy and I were deciding what to see at the theater since our parents were offering to drive us. I dont' remember what it was I was lobbying for, but my friend was just insistent that we see Rocky III. I hadn't seen either of the first films and I had no interest at all in boxing. I gave it, but wasn't happy about it. A few hours later, I was back at home taping pillows around the 4" metal poles in the basement trying to create the closest thing to a heavy bag that I could come up with. From there I saw the first two films on video and over 30 years later Stallone has been one of the most iconic entertainment figures of my life.

I have a short list of actors who I'll watch in anything, and Sly has always been prominently featured on that list.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Bullet To The Head Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Widescreen

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page