Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 128 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/French/Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Chadwick Boseman, Harrison Ford, Nicole Beharie, Christopher Meloni, Andre Holland, Lucas Black, Hamish Linklater, Ryan Merriman
Written & Directed by: Brian Helgeland
Music by: Mark Isham
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 16, 2013

"The true story of an American legend"

Film Synopsis:

Hero is a word we hear often in sports, but heroism is not always about achievements on the field of play. “42” tells the story of two men – the great Jackie Robinson and legendary Brooklyn Dodgers GM Branch Rickey – whose brave stand against prejudice forever changed the world by changing the game of baseball.

My Take:

In 1946, Branch Rickey (Harrison Ford) put himself at the forefront of history when he signed Jackie Robinson (Chadwick Boseman) to the team, breaking Major League Baseball's infamous color line. But the deal also put both Robinson and Rickey in the firing line of the public, the press and even other players. Facing unabashed racism from every side, Robinson was forced to demonstrate tremendous courage and restraint by not reacting in kind, knowing that any incident could destroy his and Rickey's hopes. Instead, Number 42 let his talent on the field do the talking – ultimately winning over fans and his teammates, silencing his critics, and paving the way for others to follow.

I learned about Jackie Robinson and his 1947 breaking of the color barrier in professional baseball at an early age. As a baseball fan I read books about the subject and his courage, talent, sacrifice and contribution to professional sports in general intrigued me. I have been exposed to racial prejudice and can understand the feeling but I can’t imagine what it must have been like for Robinson. Branch Rickey understood not only that breaking the color barrier was important but also the importance of choosing the right individual to do so. Being familiar with the story of Jackie Robinson I looked forward to seeing this film and did so during its theatrical release.

The film covers the period just before Robinson’s signing and into his first season with the Brooklyn Dodgers. It’s not an especially intimate accounting but respectfully details the highlights, tribulations and guts of a man who earned the respect of his teammates and eventually the admiration of baseball fans. The script eschews an overtly depreciatory thematic tone in terms of the depiction of racial tensions but paints a vivid picture in support of the film’s elements. This is less of a documentary about Robinson’s life outside of baseball as it focuses more on what happened within a two year period which touches upon some of his personal life. I found that to be a little disappointing but understand that in truth the focus is about what brought him to April 15, 1947 and the importance of what followed.

I appreciated the development of Branch Rickey’s stout persona within the narrative’s construct and thoroughly enjoyed Harrison Ford’s portrayal. Chadwick Boseman’s evocative and stirring performance is equally worthy of note and coupled with Ford’s anchors a solid ensemble cast. As a fan of baseball, biopic stories and this particular subject I reveled in the film’s melodrama both on the field and off as well as seeing the recreation of the real people and events that inspired it. 42 is an inspirational film based on an inspirational and historical subject. It doesn’t quite penetrate as deeply as I’d hoped but it stands as an apt tribute to the man that pioneered the integration of professional sports in America.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for thematic elements and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 88

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 94

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

42 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.2 Mbps.

This is a terrific and faithful high definition transfer that sparkles on Blu-ray. Images are transparent with exquisite detail and a near infinite sense of depth. Fidelity is never in question regardless of the camera’s perspective. Colors are kept within the scope of the historical time frame which means lots of browns, grays, greens and blacks. There is a sepia toned aesthetic that permeates many sequences imparting a light monochromatic essence. Whites are snappy and crisp and grays are multi-staged and layered. Blacks are inky, dynamic and stable and contrast is bold and punchy without overdriving whites/grays and washing out detail. The use of green screens softens some of the background elements during wide angle pans but I never found it to be excessive or distracting. Overall I found the quality of the video to be high. Every scene isn’t always razor sharp but is pristinely rendered with plenty of subtle refinement that increases the perception of fine detail and depth/dimension. Coinciding with the visual style of the film fleshtones are a bit balmy but appear lifelike. This is a noticeably stylized and impressive high definition video presentation that looked great on my big screen.

The DTS-HD MA soundtrack features crystal clear dialogue, robust dynamics and a subtle, yet engaging surround sound mix. I was impressed with the implementation of both spacial dimension and discrete directional sounds associated with the sounds of the game that create an occasionally immersive listening environment. This works hand in hand with a punchy low end that supports Mark Isham’s rousing music while driving the film’s thematic tone. I found this to be an engaging audio presentation that complimented the video resulting in an involving and evocative viewing experience that integrated quite nicely with the source material.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Stepping into history – 9 minute featurette

• (HD) Full-contact baseball – 10 minute featurette

• (HD) The legacy of number 42 – 9 minute featurette

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

42 tells the story of two men – the great Jackie Robinson and legendary Brooklyn Dodgers GM Branch Rickey – whose brave stand against prejudice forever changed the world by changing the game of baseball. I have seen it twice now and find it to be an inspirational and evocative film that stands as an apt tribute to the man that pioneered the integration of professional sports in America. 42 comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring faithful and reference quality high definition video, resplendent lossless sound quality, and a light but worthwhile supplemental package. I am pleased to add 42 to my video library and highly recommend you check it out on Blu-ray.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
superleo likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 116
It greatly pains me that I wasn't able to catch this one at the theater with my children. But I very much look forward to turning this one into a family night viewing much like we did with Courageous. As always, your candid reviews are much appreciated Ralph! Regards~
superleo likes this.
post #3 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Ralph thanks for a really good review smile.gif As a huge baseball fan this is a must have on BD.
post #4 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
I'm not a sports fan, not a biopic fan, and definitely not a sports biopic fan, but will order this.

Steve S.
post #5 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM

Liked: 31
Thanks for another great review king P , I will be adding this to my collection on it's street date, I look forward to it and expect I will enjoy it !

smile.gif
post #6 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 11:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
With the fact that this movie will be delayed by two months for rental on netflix and redbox, i will buy this movie from amazon.com at a low price and enjoy the movie. Heard good things about it from people i know.
post #7 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 88
I am not a sports fan at all but I definitely am a history fan. I will pick this up on Day 1

8.3 Surround, protected by APC H15 & UPS BC750G
Speakers: SpeakerCraft: 6 AIM8 Fives & 2 TIME Fives used as Wides
Woofers: SVS PB13-Ultra (1), HSU MBM-12 MK2 (2)
Samsung PN64F8500
Oppo 93, Denon 4311CI, Harmony 1100, 9 Noctua cooling fans, Darbee Darblet
post #8 of 24 Old 07-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Saw it in the theaters. One of the best of the year.

S~
comfynumb likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #9 of 24 Old 07-11-2013, 06:33 PM

Liked: 11
Saw this in the theater and already ordered from Amazon.

1303 DVD
91 Blu-Ray

post #10 of 24 Old 07-19-2013, 06:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Watched this last night and thoroughly enjoyed the film!

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

post #11 of 24 Old 07-24-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I still have a bad taste from Django Unchained so I'm not ready to venture back, so soon. I understand, but can't imagine the courage he must have had. I'll give it a look though, in time. Thanks for the review.
post #12 of 24 Old 08-13-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 39
just rented tonight. Beautiful picture and awesome story. Will be buying this one
post #13 of 24 Old 08-16-2013, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Thanks for another great review, Ralph! I watched this tonight and loved it. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year!

post #14 of 24 Old 08-17-2013, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga99 View Post

Thanks for another great review, Ralph! I watched this tonight and loved it. Definitely one of my favorite movies of the year!

Greetings,

Glad to hear it edfowler and Bunga99. cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #15 of 24 Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM

Liked: 10
Just watched this saturday on blu-ray, excellent film! Great review!
post #16 of 24 Old 08-19-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdc_connor View Post

Just watched this saturday on blu-ray, excellent film! Great review!

Greetings,

Thanks jdc_connor. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #17 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I watched 42 this week and I feel it was a good movie, although it seemed something was missing to give it a fullness, for lack of a better word. Harrison Ford was excellent, and there was one little boy in the stands that did well in showing how fragile a young mind is. Over all the movie brought out what I have seen all my life, that there are good people in the world, therein lies hope for us all. The taste is gone.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #18 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impression Warren.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #19 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 162
took it in the other night...

Maybe perhaps because I AM a huge baseball freak and (I think, anyway) have heard or read the story a million times, I just wasn't taken in by it. Damn near fell asleep a few times, to be honest. I suppose if you've been much less-oft exposed to it than I you would have a better experience than I did...but even still, just felt very lock-step to me. Oh well, can't love em' all...thankfully.

Picture and sound were just fine.

James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #20 of 24 Old 08-22-2013, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 162
I'm dead serious when I say I had no clue Harrison Ford was Rickey in this film. I'm very embarrassed but I'm being honest. Don't think this ever occurred in my life. Crap, maybe I DID fall asleep. Lmao.

James
slimm likes this.

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #21 of 24 Old 08-28-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermaybe View Post

I'm dead serious when I say I had no clue Harrison Ford was Rickey in this film. I'm very embarrassed but I'm being honest.

Make that me too.. I didn't watch 42 at home, but rather intermittently on an AA flight.. I thought the person that played Rickey was pretty darn good.. It wasn't until your review did I realize that it was Harrison Ford!! Now I either have to rent it or buy it to verify!! wink.gif
post #22 of 24 Old 08-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Wtaching it right now. There are a few historical inaccuracies but this movie is the best one about number 42 since jr starred in his only movie in 1951. That one was in the public domain.
post #23 of 24 Old 08-30-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
It's funny you guys making the comments about Harrison Ford. I just watched this tonight with my parents, and when Harrison was on the screen, about halfway through the movie, my mom turned to me and said, "Harrison Ford would have been great in that role."

My dad and I were like HUH?!? biggrin.gif

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #24 of 24 Old 08-31-2013, 03:54 AM

Liked: 13
I have only seen the trailers so far, but he is REALLY playing historical role here and myself and my other 55+ sisters impressed with how different he is.
If your mom is one of the original Han Solo fans like us, she probably still subconsciously expects him to look like 1977 too.
yadfgp likes this.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
42 Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - 42 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page