Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 603
STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS

DIRECTOR J.J. ABRAMS’ WORLDWIDE BLOCKBUSTER SETS A COURSE FOR BLU-RAY™, BLU-RAY 3D™ AND DVD
SEPTEMBER 10, 2013

Global Hit Debuts Three Weeks Early on Digital August 20th

HOLLYWOOD, Calif. – Lauded by critics as “a sleek, thrilling epic” (Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly), “a clever, exhilarating action adventure” (Claudia Puig, USA Today) and “stratospherically entertaining” (Peter Travers, Rolling Stone), director J.J. Abrams’ phenomenal global sensation STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS makes its highly-anticipated debut on Blu-ray, Blu-ray 3D, DVD and On Demand on September 10, 2013 from Paramount Home Media Distribution. Fans can be the first to own the film on Digital when it arrives three weeks early on August 20th. Boasting “spectacular visual effects” (Steven Rea, Philadelphia Inquirer) and “one of the best villains in recent memory” (Joe Neumaier, New York Daily News) STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS delighted audiences around the world, earning a coveted A CinemaScore.

"I'm excited for viewers at home to check out Star Trek Into Darkness on Blu-ray and DVD," said J.J. Abrams. "They did a great job and I'm thrilled with how everything looks and sounds. We also have some really fun behind-the-scenes special features that we shot on the Red and created entirely in-house at Bad Robot. They really look amazing and unlike anything I've seen on DVD or Blu-ray before." Abrams added "I hope fans enjoy seeing the process that went into making the movie and the truly amazing work of our most spectacular cast and crew."

The STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray/DVD and Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD combo packs with UltraViolet™ are bursting with behind-the-scenes material detailing how the filmmakers delivered a rousing epic filled with both spectacle and soul. For the first time, the special features included in the combo packs were produced entirely by Abrams'
Bad Robot Productions and captured in spectacular high quality on Red Epic cameras for a uniquely intimate perspective of the filmmakers' process.

Written by Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman and Damon Lindelof, the film follows the crew of the Enterprise as a shocking act of terror on Earth sends them on a manhunt to capture an unstoppable force of destruction and bring those responsible to justice. STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS features an outstanding ensemble cast including John Cho, Benedict Cumberbatch, Alice Eve, Bruce Greenwood, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Peter Weller and Anton Yelchin.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack:

The STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray is presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The DVD in the combo pack is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The combo pack includes access to a digital copy of the film as well as the following:

Blu-ray

· Feature film in high definition

· Creating the Red Planet – Experience the creation of a never-before-seen alien world, as featured in the action-packed opening sequence of the film.

· Attack on Starfleet – Go behind the scenes with the cast and filmmakers and witness the creation of the shocking attack on Starfleet Headquarters.

· The Klingon Home World – Discover the stunning world of Kronos, and see how the filmmakers reinvented the Klingons for a new generation.

· The Enemy of My Enemy – Find out how, and why, the identity of the film’s true villain was kept a mystery to the very end.

· Ship to Ship – An in-depth and thrilling look at the filming of the iconic space jump sequence, which both defied the laws of physics and pushed the limits of visual effects.

· Brawl by the Bay – Sit in with Zachary Quinto and Benedict Cumberbatch as they revisit their intense preparation for the film’s breathtaking climax.

· Continuing the Mission – An inspiring look at the partnership between the film’s crew and the organization that assists returning veterans to find meaningful ways to contribute on the home front.

DVD

· Feature film in standard definition

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray 3D/Blu-ray/DVD Combo Pack
The STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Blu-ray 3D combo pack includes all of the above, as well as the film in high definition and 3D on a disc presented in 1080p high definition with English 7.1 Dolby TrueHD, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital, Portuguese 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, English SDH, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles.

STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS Single-Disc DVD

The single-disc DVD is presented in widescreen enhanced for 16:9 TVs with English 5.1 Dolby Digital, French 5.1 Dolby Digital, Spanish 5.1 Dolby Digital and English Audio Description and English, French, Spanish and Portuguese subtitles. The disc includes the feature film in standard definition.

The Blu-ray releases available for purchase will be enabled with UltraViolet, a new way to collect, access and enjoy movies. With UltraViolet, consumers can add movies to their digital collection in the cloud, and then stream or download them – reliably and securely – to a variety of devices

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Didn't see this one at the theaters but do have it on pre-order already and very much looking forward to watching it.

Thanks, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
post #3 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 08:24 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Definitley count me in Ralph. Saw it in the theatres and loved it

Frank
post #4 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 502
I cant wait to get this on blu ray! I did not catch this in theaters so I am really looking forward to watching it at home. I loved the first film and as far as HT experiences go ranks among the best overall IMO. Thanks for the info Ralph! cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #5 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Will the blu ray edition have a shifting aspect ratio for the Imax scenes ?
post #6 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

I hope so, I've come to love this feature but can see where some may not care for it in some setups.
post #7 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 09:25 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banner23 View Post

I hope not. Variable aspect and CIH don't work. I would personally much rather have a constant aspect, or at least have that as an option like Transf 2 gave us. I can see the appeal of VA for 1.78 users, but it would be great if all VA releases had a constant aspect option for those who can't take advantage of VA.

post #8 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Liked: 21

Can't wait to own it.

I saw this in amc with "4k sony projector" digital theater, the picture was outstanding!. But i also notice some week bass in that cinema,so hopefully the bluray will be more awesomeness :)

Hsu Research HB-1 MK2
Hsu Research Hc-1 MK2
Hsu Research VTF3 mk4 12" subwoofer
JBL Surrounds ES 20's
post #9 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Pre ordered it on Amazon!
PcGeek626 likes this.
post #10 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Already did when the bluray was number one bluray 3d on amazon. Good deal too. Got the email about the release date. Will get it the week of the 10th.
post #11 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Great production... unfortunately a stupid story that I can't bother to own. This will be the first "Star Trek" (I use the label loosely) I don't buy. Pass.
post #12 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I enjoyed it in the theater despite the fact that it did not take long to figure out who the villian really was and that they were reversing the Kirk/Spock situation from a previous Star Trek movie. Will buy the 3d version.

No matter where you go, There you are ;)
post #13 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Pretty good movie in theaters. It kind of hit the "mediocrity" that some sequels are hitting, that maybe there's something slightly too generic about them... but it was still a super worthy sequel to the wonderful 2009 film.

My issue in theaters was with the sound. It was very piercing to the ear. I wonder if it was just my theater or if it was the actual audio mix. Time will tell on that one.
post #14 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by PcGeek626 View Post

Can't wait to own it.
I saw this in amc with "4k sony projector" digital theater, the picture was outstanding!. But i also notice some week bass in that cinema,so hopefully the bluray will be more awesomeness smile.gif
Which AMC, Burbank, Century City, Santa Monica, or other. Was it with ETX or Imax by chance. Most of the AMC's have decent projection but sound can vary by theater.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #15 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Pre ordered it on Amazon!
Me too.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #16 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Can't wait! I loved this movie!

Kaboom.
post #17 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Which AMC, Burbank, Century City, Santa Monica, or other. Was it with ETX or Imax by chance. Most of the AMC's have decent projection but sound can vary by theater.

Our local AMC is usally good. I am spoiled however. With the exception of size. I have always obtained cleaner more dynamic audio playback when viewing a Blu-ray in lossless audio at home on my system than in the theater. The fact that it's more enjoyable at home helps a lot! biggrin.gif
post #18 of 60 Old 07-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Liked: 14
Cannot wait seen it in Imax!

post #19 of 60 Old 07-12-2013, 01:45 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked: 259
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Pretty good movie in theaters. It kind of hit the "mediocrity" that some sequels are hitting, that maybe there's something slightly too generic about them... but it was still a super worthy sequel to the wonderful 2009 film.

My issue in theaters was with the sound. It was very piercing to the ear. I wonder if it was just my theater or if it was the actual audio mix. Time will tell on that one.

My guess the theatre. It wasn't piercing to the ear the one I watched it at the audio was actually calibrated right. Sounded awesome.

Frank
post #20 of 60 Old 07-12-2013, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I saw it in the Paramount screening room in NYC. SFX were ear-piercing and I had to wear ear buds; dialogue was much lower and quiet scenes led to some frustration. I would hope that theater has their sound well-calibrated.

Time will tell...
post #21 of 60 Old 07-12-2013, 06:44 AM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

I hope not. Variable aspect and CIH don't work. I would personally much rather have a constant aspect, or at least have that as an option like Transf 2 gave us. I can see the appeal of VA for 1.78 users, but it would be great if all VA releases had a constant aspect option for those who can't take advantage of VA.

Is this when you're watching the movie and you see the black bar on top/bottom, then all of a sudden it goes to full screen (16:9)? I just saw this happen in The Dark Knight and my buddy and I thought we were going crazy.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #22 of 60 Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I was floored by this chapter of MR. JJ Abrams Star Trek re-boot in very sense, I laugh, I cried, emotions were all over the place, and to think that my NY local post news paper reviewer said it was flat out boring (WHAT!)..I suggest he would grab so Heron the next time he watches it again. I can't wait to get this in my hands, and I can't wait for number 3 that's for sure.

Djoel
post #23 of 60 Old 07-12-2013, 10:19 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post

Is this when you're watching the movie and you see the black bar on top/bottom, then all of a sudden it goes to full screen (16:9)? I just saw this happen in The Dark Knight and my buddy and I thought we were going crazy.

Exactly. You were not going crazy. smile.gif

post #24 of 60 Old 07-12-2013, 01:41 PM

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Exactly. You were not going crazy. smile.gif

Excellent! I am all pre-ordered and look forward to checking the mail on Sept. 10th smile.gif

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #25 of 60 Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 916 Post(s)
Liked: 477
I can't believe Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman, and Damon Lindelof still get writing gigs. They're mediocre hacks.

A must pass film.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #26 of 60 Old 07-13-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 168
I enjoyed this movie quite a bit but thought the 3D could have been better. It was good though. Also as with most movies like this the action scenes where over done. Cool movie though. I will probably just buy the 2D Bluray unless the 3D version isn't that much more expensive.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #27 of 60 Old 07-13-2013, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Looking forward to this one so much so I have pre ordered it without seeing it in the cinema but since the last one was such a great refresh I don't think it going to be bad at all.
post #28 of 60 Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkingincharge View Post

Looking forward to this one so much so I have pre ordered it without seeing it in the cinema but since the last one was such a great refresh I don't think it going to be bad at all.

I'd rent it first. You may or may not regret blind buying it.

post #29 of 60 Old 07-13-2013, 08:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

I enjoyed this movie quite a bit but thought the 3D could have been better. It was good though. Also as with most movies like this the action scenes where over done. Cool movie though. I will probably just buy the 2D Bluray unless the 3D version isn't that much more expensive.

Another conversion job to get people to pay more for their tickets, and it didn't look like they shot it with 3D in mind in the first place. IMHO.

post #30 of 60 Old 07-13-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1229 Post(s)
Liked: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Another conversion job to get people to pay more for their tickets, and it didn't look like they shot it with 3D in mind in the first place. IMHO.
Did you see the movie? In the opening scene there are spears flying right at the camera. Likewise when Kirk flies through the debris field between starships. Not only was it obviously shot with 3D in mind, but gimmicky 3D at that (rarely done these days).
dfergie likes this.

Sanjay
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page