Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniZorg View Post

I really enjoyed this movie!

But I am a Sci-fi junkie.

I really felt that this movie had a great mix of emotion and action. Well done! And, at least the DVD version is a true reference disk. I cannot wait to get the Blu-Ray to play!

Now for the bad news.... The Blu-ray will not play in my Sony BDP-CX960 or my Sony PS3, both with their latest firmware. After the menus it just goes black. Anyone have any ideas or updates on this issue, sounds like many are having this trouble.

This review is from: Oblivion (Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Copy + UltraViolet) (Blu-ray)

Thanks,

Mike Davis

Mike, if your players are connected to the internet, disconnect them and/or disable BD-Live. I'll wager that'll take care of the problem.

Best regards,
Lloyd C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniZorg View Post

I'll try my Laptops BluRay player tonight.

Did this play in your laptop? It's starting to sound like some bad discs were sold. Although mine played and sounded perfect.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Holy cow. I watched this last night and not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Very enjoyable overall, but damn the PQ/AQ was awesome! Razor sharp on my setup and the backdrops were so cool. Reference stuff here.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp1080 View Post

Here's my opinion
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I was under the impression that he left Victoria 52 in the house. I think he left her due to her not remembering or wanting to remember as he did. She was his first officer originally. When he tried to "show her something" she had the same "against protocol" response as did Victoria 49.
I agree thinking Victoria 52 was left on the nice house at the tip of the mountain with no transportation and no way to get down. So was it Jack Harper 52 that came back three years later? If it was who untied him and when? I assume Victoria 52 would eventually starve up there. Also are there more Jack and Victoria Harpers on the planet? Since there is a 49 and a 52 I assume 50 and 51 must be somewhere also.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by blastermaster View Post

Holy cow. I watched this last night and not expecting to enjoy it as much as I did. Very enjoyable overall, but damn the PQ/AQ was awesome! Razor sharp on my setup and the backdrops were so cool. Reference stuff here.

Agreed. I was worried the plot was messed up because of what I read about it. To my surprise the story line was very good, and yes the AV quality was near perfect smile.gif
Old 08-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieP View Post

I agree thinking Victoria 52 was left on the nice house at the tip of the mountain with no transportation and no way to get down. So was it Jack Harper 52 that came back three years later? If it was who untied him and when? I assume Victoria 52 would eventually starve up there. Also are there more Jack and Victoria Harpers on the planet? Since there is a 49 and a 52 I assume 50 and 51 must be somewhere also.
I think it's fairly clear that since Jack Harper and Victoria were the only ones on the ship at the time it got sucked into the alien space station (not sure what to call that?), that they (the aliens) cloned a bunch of them to perform the jobs they did. I'd venture to say there is probably tons we didn't see, outside of the 2 "sets" that we did see. I can understand why we never saw Victoria 52 again, as you said she would have been stuck on that with no way down. I don't see a problem with Jack Harper 52 untying himself, or also he was travelling with the former scag group so they could have easily untied him as well.

There are some things that I saw that didn't make sense, but they weren't a big deal. Like when Jack is listening back to the recorder found in the sleep pod. You hear them yell as they get sucked in to the alien center, except for they had already released the sleep pod where the recorder was found. So that recorder in a sealed chamber floating off in space somehow recorded voices to a device not connected to it. I guess you could say it's wireless but still. rolleyes.gif

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Old 08-16-2013, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbud0 View Post

Watch it now and then re-watch later. It's worth it!
Well, I did... I broke down and plopped the disc in last night... WOW! I really liked this movie in every aspect, great Sci-Fi movie. I won't have any problem re-watching it Saturday night (with the volume even higher!).

Old 08-17-2013, 03:59 AM

Liked: 10
I have a Samsung HT-C6730W and it will not load the Oblivion Blu-Ray disc - get the UNIVERSAL opening logo (jerky play) and then nothing but black screen. Unit has latest software update... wtf
Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
I bought my Oblivion blu ray disc at Best Buy on release day.

On both my Oppo 93 and PS3 the image blacks out momentarily starting at about the 1:42:15 mark . I have not yet detailed the exact time stamps but I will say the image cuts to black a few times. The movie does not freeze (you can still hear the soundtrack). It continues playing fine. At first I thought it was my projector. I brought the disc into Best Buy and the exact same issue at same time was able to be reproduced on their LG player. We then opened two more discs and saw the same thing. I have not read of this issue on any forum. Anyone else seeing this ?
Old 08-18-2013, 12:26 AM
Advanced Member

Is it when they are standing in the room looking at the painting? I see it blacking out there for a few seconds on my 103.

Home Theater Build in Progress (Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
Old 08-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Done Deal DR View Post

Is it when they are standing in the room looking at the painting? I see it blacking out there for a few seconds on my 103.

Yes at the painting! Any further details you can share? i.e. Where did you buy yours? From what I can tell, the blu ray player is not the root cause since I can replicate it with 93, PS3, and LG (?) at Best Buy.

I posted on the AVS Oblivion thread as well. Over there a user had no issue with a copy from Walmart .
Old 08-18-2013, 04:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I can tell you why it blanks....its on purpose. Post Apocalyptic power grids. Watch it again and listen as you hear it ever so slightly making the flicker sound of the power going off and on in a few milliseconds.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well I finally had a chance to sit down and watch Oblivion. WOW, this is a new reference disk!! Stunning video and audio quality from start to finish!!

I never noticed a need to boost the center channel.

I did have the audio studder/dropouts on the Dolby TrueHD 96khz isolated score on my Oppo 103. At first I wasn't sure if it was my Denon X-4000 or the Oppo 103, but then I read this thread. Glad to hear Ralph, that Oppo is aware of the issue.

I am having NO issues with the Isolated score on my Sony 460/Denon 2113 in my office, in fact it sounds amazing!! (7.1 setup)

Ed

Denon AVR-X4000, Panasonic TCP-55VT50, OPPO BDP-103, DirecTV HR44-700, Apple TV
Polk Audio RTi-A9, RTi-A7, RTi-A3, CSi-A6 & DSW PRO 660
Old 08-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

I can tell you why it blanks....its on purpose. Post Apocalyptic power grids. Watch it again and listen as you hear it ever so slightly making the flicker sound of the power going off and on in a few milliseconds.

thanks Suzook. it was late at night so I had the volume low and could not hear the flicker from the power going off / on. I turned it up and sure enough it was there.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I watched it last night.. What a great movie, very clever. The picture is reference quality all the way. I highly recommend it. smile.gif
Old 08-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Advanced Member

That's good info on the power grid thing. I did think it was intended as it had a shutter effect as it went black and came back on.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 51
wow what studio is this.

no redbox until 9/3.

do they think that is really going to make it more likely i buy it?

neflixis our nemesis
Old 08-20-2013, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. wally View Post

wow what studio is this.

do they think that is really going to make it more likely i buy it?

Seems to be working that way with most people.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Like everyone else - really enjoyed this flick. Also enjoying the "making of" (Watching as i type this). Really respect Tom Cruise as an actor and for his dedication to his craft. Unfortunately the babies are asleep so I had to watch using my ps3 headphones, which wasn't too bad.

Old 08-21-2013, 06:40 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAd13 View Post

Like everyone else - really enjoyed this flick. Also enjoying the "making of" (Watching as i type this). Really respect Tom Cruise as an actor and for his dedication to his craft. Unfortunately the babies are asleep so I had to watch using my ps3 headphones, which wasn't too bad.

Speaking of which, and if it isn't too much to ask, I'd be very grateful if anybody could recommend a headset that sounds awesome but is not too expensive? Sorry for taking this a bit off topic... (Love Oblivion FWIW! cool.gif )
Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack724 View Post

Yes at the painting! Any further details you can share? i.e. Where did you buy yours? From what I can tell, the blu ray player is not the root cause since I can replicate it with 93, PS3, and LG (?) at Best Buy.

I posted on the AVS Oblivion thread as well. Over there a user had no issue with a copy from Walmart .

Was that to imply the user at Walmart didn't have the blanking effect?

I to was just going to report this anomaly and see someone else beat me to it.
1:42:24 to 1:42:47 timeline is about where you want to look for this.

It doesn't fit the power scheme to me. The colors start to look off and the scene of her going into the pod show a off color black effect at the bottom.

Strange

Dave
Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I tried to watch this movie, but it kept freezing and skipping scenes. Has anyone else had this problem? I am playing a brand new disc on the Sony BDP-S500ES. Due to the freezing and skipping, I am having problems understanding the movie. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Why are their two Tom Cruises and two of his mates?
Old 08-24-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post

I tried to watch this movie, but it kept freezing and skipping scenes. Has anyone else had this problem? I am playing a brand new disc on the Sony BDP-S500ES. Due to the freezing and skipping, I am having problems understanding the movie. Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Why are their two Tom Cruises and two of his mates?

Greetings,

I didn't have any issues with playback of the movie gbaby. confused.gif

BTW - I added spoiler tags to your question. wink.gif
There are two sets because unbeknownst to them they are in fact clones.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Old 08-24-2013, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I enjoy this movie. Stunning special effect. I like Tom Cruise but not his personal life.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAGLEFAN67 View Post

Street date purchase for me... You guys crack me up on the rental first, then you buy the movie sooner or later and you end up spending more for the movie, making the studios richer.

Been renting movies before making a purchase decision since the early days of LaserDisc (MCA DiscoVision) rental at Video Concepts. For quite a few years have been using Netflix → Blockbuster → Netflix by mail subscription for disc rentals.

IMO: There is way too many bad movies to do blind buys. Any movie predominately done with handheld and/or shaky camera work will get ejected within a few minutes (latest, Bullet To The Head). Then there are some that I like but would not watch again (latest, Mud).

For me the big expenditure came/comes from owing titles on LaserDisc → DVD → D-VHS D-Theater → Blu-ray. Will probably be much more selective in title repurchase when UHDTV Blu-ray arrives.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I didn't have any issues with playback of the movie gbaby. confused.gif

BTW - I added spoiler tags to your question. wink.gif
There are two sets because unbeknownst to them they are in fact clones.

Regards,

Thanks. I'll put the blu-ray in another player. The movie is interesting, though.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by quack724 View Post

Again, was that to imply that the walmart copy DID NOT have the block out effect?

My copy happens to be the Walmart tin can version.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can anyone tell me what's in the best buy bonus disc? And is it substantial or just fluff? Thanks
Old 09-03-2013, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post

Again, was that to imply that the walmart copy DID NOT have the block out effect?

My copy happens to be the Walmart tin can version.

As mentioned earlier, this was part of the film. I'm not sure how you could own a copy without it doing it.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

Old 09-05-2013, 12:59 PM

My sony 5000es won't play the movie, it'll just freeze, this is the second movie I had trouble with, The Host bluray did the same, both are Universal Pictures, my samsung 5500c plays them flawlessly.

Tags
Oblivion Two Disc Combo Pack Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet