Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2013
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 101 minutes
Genre: Thriller/Crime

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: James McAvoy, Rosario Dawson, Vincet Cassel
Directed by: Danny Boyle
Music by: Rick Smith & Jon Harris
Written by: Joe Ahearne & John Hodge
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 23, 2013

"Sometimes it is better to forget…"

Film Synopsis:

From ACADEMY AWARD®-Winning director Danny Boyle* (Slumdog Millionaire) comes an “exhilarating brain-twister” (New York Post)! After a blow to the head during his attempted robbery of a $27 million Goya painting, Simon (James McAvoy, X-Men: First Class), a fine-art auctioneer, awakens to find that the painting – and his memory – are missing. Forced by his ruthless crime partner Franck (Vincent Cassel, Black Swan) to undergo hypnosis, Simon enters into a deadly love triangle with his seductive hypnotist (Rosario Dawson, Sin City). As the plot twists, the line between reality and dream becomes blurred in this fast-paced, unpredictable thriller.

My Take:

Simon (James McAvoy), a fine art auctioneer, teams up with a criminal gang to steal a Goya painting worth millions of dollars. After suffering a blow to the head during the heist Simon awakens to discover he has no memory of where he hid the painting which doesn’t bode well with his companions. When physical threats and torture fail to produce answers, the gang's leader Frank (Vincent Cassel) hires hypnotherapist Elizabeth Lamb (Rosario Dawson) to delve into the darkest recesses of Simon's psyche in order to reveal the events of the that day. As Elizabeth begins to unravel Simon's broken subconscious, the lines between truth, suggestion, and deceit begin to converge.

I haven’t seen all of Director Danny Boyle’s films but have liked the majority of those that I have seen. Trance looked interesting enough based upon it’s synopsis and I like the three primary members of the cast so I went ahead and requested it for review. In fairly typical Danny Boyle fashion it is a stylish crime thriller with a noir aesthetic that revolves around a mind bending plot that is intended to keep you off balance. The narrative has a layer peeling flow that begins with a heist but quickly shifts to a sort of psychological crime drama with elements of mystery where it becomes obvious that the goal is to blur the lines between the innocent and the guilty, among thieves that is. Caught in the middle is a hypnotherapist who may have seemingly bit off more than she can chew or did she? Amidst the confusion is a twisted little love triangle that does a nice job of muddying the water. I have to admit that I found the first two acts of Trance to be pretty involving. The script only incorporates a few integral characters which work very well within the story’s thematic construct and I liked the genre blending aspects.

Once the true nature of what has occurred is finally revealed, and it seemed to take a bit too long getting there, things unravel, get silly and all the momentum built to that point is diminished. I say diminished not lost because it doesn’t totally derail the proceedings. The film successfully draws you into its world and poorly executed finish or not there is enough to be said for that to make it fairly entertaining to watch. It’s a stylish film with a sexy underbelly and solid core elements. The cast in McAvoy, Cassel and Dawson are just fine. For those out there that find Rosario Dawson to be attractive you’ll find the film of particular interest (sorry you’ll just have to check it out to see what I mean).

Trance isn’t the best Danny Boyle film that I have seen but for those that enjoy his flair for visual storytelling and edgy themes it is certainly worth its 100 minute runtime.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexual content, graphic nudity, violence, some grisly images, and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Video: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Trance comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 32 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 6 Mbps.

This is a reference quality Blu-ray offering from Fox that looks terrific in high definition. The video is crisp with a pristine quality that is visually pleasing. Detail rendering is nearly flawless with lucid visual acuity and fine articulation that brings forth lots of subtle detail in the images onscreen. Colors are rich and delineated with oversaturated primaries and warm tonality that make them pop nicely. The secondary hues that thematically support the story’s components appear vivid and warm. Flesh tones are natural with varying degrees of complexional separation among the cast. Boldly applied contrast and consistent black levels provide excellent balance during bright scenes containing mixed content. Shadow detail is strong which brings out plenty of discernible texture in low/uneven lighting and dark backgrounds.

The lossless DTS-HD MA soundtrack has excellent dynamic range, detail rich clarity and makes ample use of the entire surround platform to drive the film’s elements. The eclectic music score, coupled along with well integrated discrete and ambient sound effects, play an intricate role in the presentation. The detection of subtle background sounds, off camera cues and spatial dimension within the room’s acoustic environment is notable. Tactile bass response enriches the authority of low frequency effects contained in the mix. There isn’t perpetual use of the rear channels and subwoofer however when applied the effects are involving. Dialogue is firmly planted in the center channel and clearly renders voices and effects with appropriate distinction and balance within the front soundstage. I enjoyed this audio presentation and felt that it complimented the film’s elements with exacting precision.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) 7 deleted scenes

• (HD) The power of suggestion: Making of Trance (4 featurettes):
    1. Danny’s film noir – 10 minutes
    2. Hypnotherapy – 6 minutes
    3. The Look – 9 minutes
    4. The final rewrite – 7 minutes
  • (HD) Danny Boyle retrospective – 15 minutes

• Short film: Eugene – By Spencer Susser

• (HD) Theatrical trailer

• Ultraviolet Digital

Final Thoughts:

Trance is a multi-layered slightly convoluted genre bender that takes viewers on a provocative ride into director Danny Boyle’s world. Some may find its blurred lines and shifting thematic tone frustrating but I rather liked that aspect of it. What I found lacking was its frivolous finale which failed to keep pace with the rest of the film. Despite that I can’t help but recommend it for its otherwise solid execution. Speaking of solid it looks and sounds great on Blu-ray from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and features an above average assortment of supplemental features. I am not so sure this one qualifies as a blind buy however it’s easily worth putting at the top of your rental queue.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 07-27-2013, 02:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 225
I'll sit through almost anything to be able to gaze at Ms Dawson for a couple hours. This will be no exception.
post #3 of 17 Old 07-27-2013, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'll sit through almost anything to be able to gaze at Ms Dawson for a couple hours. This will be no exception.

You will see A LOT of Ms. Dawson in this movie...like ALL of her biggrin.gif That was the best part of the movie for me!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #4 of 17 Old 07-27-2013, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Thanks for the review Ralph, just finished watching this one. I agree this isn't Boyle's best, but it's still darn good, easily one of the better thrillers of the year if just for his ability to twist the genre in new ways. I also absolutely adore the way he drives tension by combining modern beats with the visuals, and then hammering the moment home with silence. One of my favorite moments in film is when he does this at the climax of Sunshine.

Looky here!
post #5 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Thanks for the review Ralph and will probably purchase this one soon.
post #6 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
I just watched this on Vudu. Kind of messed up, glad I rented it instead of buying it.
post #7 of 17 Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM

Liked: 10
Good review. I agree the ending was a let-down. The film needed to end like a Pam Grier movie, with Rosario Dawson's character walking away from a giant fireball.

Cassell's character didn't quite gel for me. Since he was outstanding in Eastern Promises and A Dangerous Method, in which he portrayed similarly morally dubious characters, I blame Trance's director and the script for Cassell's character not making much sense.

It should be noted we see plenty of McAvoy and Cassell in the film, too. smile.gif
post #8 of 17 Old 07-30-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 160
The ending was better than that.. Bear in mind it's not an American film and approach it from another angle. Besides if you want a really big ending you want something Denzel style "Make it rain" BOOM. cool.gif All kidding aside and without giving things away if you appreciate Boyle's always trying something new see this at least once.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #9 of 17 Old 08-07-2013, 12:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
It wasn't a bad movie by any means. It's got some twists and turns and I thought it was a little drawn out. Rosario Dawson makes this old man wish for younger days and the ending made me smile. It was a good rental and I've recommended it as such.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 08-07-2013, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacco View Post

It wasn't a bad movie by any means. It's got some twists and turns and I thought it was a little drawn out. Rosario Dawson makes this old man wish for younger days and the ending made me smile. It was a good rental and I've recommended it as such.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Warren and I'm glad you liked Trance. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 17 Old 08-20-2013, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
Guess I'm the only one who finds Rosario difficult on the eyes (the face, not the body of which this flick leaves nothing to the imagination). Gaunt comes to mind. As for the movie itself, it definitely felt like a Danny Boyle film that is rough around the edges. The music was produced by none other than 1/2 of Underworld (of "Born Slippy" fame), Rick Smith, and was one of the highlights. However, there were times when it was overbearing and overdone. I realize it was to align with the on-screen action, but there can be too much of a good thing to the point of distraction.
Ralph Potts and Bunga99 like this.
post #12 of 17 Old 08-29-2013, 08:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

You will see A LOT of Ms. Dawson in this movie...like ALL of her biggrin.gif That was the best part of the movie for me!
I'm pretty sure that at least the one scene was a body double with a CG head of Ms Dawson. Believe me, I looked at it pretty close. wink.gif
post #13 of 17 Old 08-30-2013, 04:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

I'm pretty sure that at least the one scene was a body double with a CG head of Ms Dawson. Believe me, I looked at it pretty close. wink.gif

Now THAT's funny!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #14 of 17 Old 09-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
RedBoxed this tonight and was not disappointed like I thought I might be after reading some of the reviews on their website. I quite enjoyed it and it kept my attention all the way through. Definitely worth a rent.

post #15 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishniknork View Post

RedBoxed this tonight and was not disappointed like I thought I might be after reading some of the reviews on their website. I quite enjoyed it and it kept my attention all the way through. Definitely worth a rent.

Greetings,

Glad to hear it. Thanks for posting your impressions... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #16 of 17 Old 09-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

For those out there that find Rosario Dawson to be attractive you’ll find the film of particular interest ...

Unfortunately for me, I may be in the minority that does find Ms. Dawson attractive. However, the movie was pretty good until toward the end and I agreed with Ralph that things just started to unravel once the true nature of the plot was revealed. Too bad, with a different leading lady and a better ending, this could have been a good thriller.

Still Learning
post #17 of 17 Old 09-16-2013, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I saw this a few weeks ago, and enjoyed it. I am a HUGE Rosario Dawson fan, I like every inch of her biggrin.gif. The story was pretty good, but the ending a BIT disappointing.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Trance Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy Ultraviolet Anamorphic Widescreen , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Marantz Av8801 , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player
Gear in this thread - Bdt310 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page