Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 388
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 81 minutes
Genre: Fantasy/Action

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French
Starring: Justin Chambers, Kevin McKidd, C. Thomas Howell, Michael B. Jordan, Danny Huston, Kevin Conroy, Dana Delany, Nathan Fillion
Directed by: Jay Oliva
Music by: Frederik Wiedmann
Written by: Jim Krieg based on the graphic novel Flashpoint by Geoff Johns & Andy Kuber
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: July 30, 2013

"Fight the future"

Film Synopsis:

When time travel allows a past wrong to be righted for Flash and his family, the event’s temporal ripples prove disastrous, creating a fractured, alternate reality where the Justice League never formed. Amidst a new world being ravaged by a fierce war between Wonder Woman’s Amazons and Aquaman’s Atlanteans, Flash must team with an alternate and noticeably “different” Batman and government agent Cyborg to restore the continuity of Flash’s original timeline.

My Take:

Based on the graphic novel “Flashpoint” Justice League The Flashpoint Paradox centers around The Flash who innocently tries to alter a dark event from his childhood via a quick trip back in time. Unfortunately he awakens to find his world turned upside down beginning with him being devoid of his super powers. He soon realizes that isn’t all that has changed. He finds himself in an alternate and noticeably fractured reality that stands in place of the familiar one. Stumbling through this twisted world where even Superman is nowhere to be found, The Flash seeks the trusted wisdom of Batman, only to find a grittier, more violent Dark Knight in his place. Together with the help of Cyborg, who is a government agent they race to restore the continuity of Flash's original timeline while this new one is ravaged by a fierce and destructive war between Wonder Woman's Amazons and Aquaman’s Atlanteans. With the future of both realities at stake failure is not an option.

I am quickly becoming a fan of the DCU animated films and of those that I have seen I think this one is my favorite. I began my comic book reading as a kid with DC, specifically The Justice League of America and The Flash was always a personal favorite. This is a pretty edgy animated story that not only deals with the future of mankind but delves into the interesting topic of time travel and evocative themes surrounding the question, what would we do if we could go back change some significant event from the past. In The Flash’s case it was a singular and painful event from his childhood that on the surface would seem insignificant to anyone outside of his family. What is revealed is that even the tiniest alteration can send rippling waves with repercussions that extend well beyond.

The alternate reality turns everything you think you know about the original timeline on its ear making for an incredibly dark and violent world where those you think are heroes are not and those you expect are set to destroy the world are trying to save it. Only a few are what they should be albeit noticeably different which makes them all the more intriguing. At 81 minutes the pacing is on target and the story flows quite well. There is plenty of action coupled with a surprising level of violence/mayhem which elevates the film above what you would expect to see on regular TV. The voiceovers by the cast are spot on and the production elements are excellent. The end result is an entertaining animated film that coincides with what we have previously seen from DC Universe releases. I look forward to checking out the next installment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sequences of violence and action.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 18 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

Animation can sometimes be difficult to thoroughly judge when evaluating its video quality. There are aspects shared by both high definition and standard definition versions in terms of the absence of defining texture and lesser dimensional perspective. Objects in backgrounds are two dimensional which isn’t a problem but images can appear to have less depth. I have noticed that with good high definition animated video this is still applicable but rendering is notably improved. Such is the case here. Images have excellent visual depth with deep, rich, color fidelity and bold defining contrast. The video has tack like sharpness with crisp edges and no distracting signs of edge enhancement. Blacks are stable, with enriching depth that enhances onscreen images containing mixed light/dark elements. Aliasing and banding were nowhere to be found as this is a solid high definition rendering that looked great on my big screen.

I have to admit to being surprised at just how good this lossless surround sounded. The high resolution DTS-HD MA soundtrack is well articulated with excellent headroom and crystal clear rendering across the board. The well balanced presentation features high level detail in a resplendent blend of dialogue, sound effects, bass and music. The results offer a dynamically gratifying, richly enveloping surround sound mix that delivers robust bass, and plenty of action based sounds/effects to make the experience fun. Crank it up and enjoy the ride.

Bonus Features:

• Audio commentary by creators of film

• (HD) A Flash in time: Time travel in The Flash universe – 22 minute documentary

• (HD) My favorite villain: The Flash Bad Guys – 19 minute documentary

• From the DC Comics Vault - Excerpts from:
    1. Batman The Brave & Bold series – Season 2
    2. Justice League Series – Season 2
    3. Justice League Unlimited series Legends parts 1 & 2
  • (HD) A digital comic excerpt from DC Comics Flashpoint # 1

• (HD) Trailers – Including an 8 minute sneak peek at Justice League: War

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Having seen a number of DCU animated titles I think it is safe to say that I am now a fan of the series. Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox is an engaging, action packed and well written entry that has risen to the top becoming my personal favorite among those that I have reviewed thus far. . It comes to Blu-ray from Warner Home Video in a well rounded package that features rewarding high definition audio/video quality and a complimentary assortment of bonus supplements. If you’re a fan Justice League: The Flashpoint Paradox on Blu-ray is highly recommended viewing plain and simple.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
gonzo90017 likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Sweet ! I've been looking forward to this, and looks a good review!

Thanks Ralph smile.gif
post #3 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
EASILY the best of the DC animated features thus far. Surprisingly adult in both theme and execution (pun intended) and a great story well told. The bar has been raised with this one. Can't wait to see what comes next.
post #4 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 10:11 AM

Liked: 15
Copy arrives tomorrow! It looks awesome!
post #5 of 14 Old 07-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
Will ad thus to my queue. ...I like dcau
post #6 of 14 Old 07-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
great story?! found it mediocre and animation was lame... sound was engaging otherwise...
post #7 of 14 Old 08-05-2013, 07:29 PM

Liked: 10
This was a Great DC animation movie.Enjoyed every minute of it,Great Blind Buy.smile.gif
post #8 of 14 Old 08-06-2013, 11:54 AM

Liked: 13
I enjoyed it but found the climax to be a tad of a let down. The animation was fine but I can see where some people had problems with the art style... very anime oriented. I recommend nonetheless.
post #9 of 14 Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Sweet, looking forward to this!

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #10 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 756
This was good, easily the best of the animated justice league features to date, however it doesnt hold a candle to the likes of batman year one or return of the dark knight 1 & 2. Still overall this was very good.

I don't need snobs to tell me how to think, thank you!
LOL!
Why you wouldn't want to join this forum
post #11 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason View Post

This was good, easily the best of the animated justice league features to date, however it doesnt hold a candle to the likes of batman year one or return of the dark knight 1 & 2. Still overall this was very good.

I just watched part one! with the other on the way , while I haven't seen The Flash Paradox ! I agree on the Batman it was fantastic wink.gif
post #12 of 14 Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Batman 1 & 2 was fantastic, flash was so so
post #13 of 14 Old 08-18-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by datranz View Post

Batman 1 & 2 was fantastic, flash was so so

Just watched part two while still waiting on the Flashpoint paradox to be released on Netflix, it was nothing short of spectacular cool.gif
post #14 of 14 Old 08-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Jay Olivia directed flash & batman 1 &2 showing a real talent for DCU material
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle , Marantz Av8801 , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Toshiba Hd Xa2 1080p Hd Dvd Player , Panasonic Dmp Bdt310 Integrated Wi Fi 3d Blu Ray Dvd Player , Dcu Justice League The Flashpoint Paradox Blu Ray

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page