Boardwalk Empire: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 610
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: HBO - 2012
MPAA Rating: TV-MA
Feature running time: 720 minutes
Genre: TV Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, French DTS 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Latin, Spanish, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish
Starring: Steve Buscemi, Kelly MacDonald, Michael Shannon, Shea Whigam, Michael Stuhbarg, Stephan Graham, Vincent Piazza, Michael Kenneth Williams, Anthony Lacura, Paul Sparks, Jack Huston, Charlie Cox, Bobby Cannavale, Stephen Root, Gretchen Mohl
Directed by: Various
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 20, 2013

"When alcohol was outlawed, outlaws became kings"

Film Synopsis:

America in the 1920s. The Great War is over, Wall Street is about to boom and everything is for sale, even the World Series. It is a time of change: Women have the right to vote, broadcast radio spreads the news, young people rule the world, and Prohibition gave birth to various criminal enterprises.

On the beach in southern New Jersey sits Atlantic City, a spectacular resort known as "The World's Playground," a place where rules don't apply. Massive hotels line its famous Boardwalk, along with nightclubs, amusement piers and entertainment to rival Broadway. For a few dollars, a working man can get away and live like a king -- legally or illegally. The undisputed ruler of Atlantic City is Enoch "Nucky" Thompson, (Steve Buscemi) a political fixer and backroom dealer who is equal parts politician and gangster and equally comfortable in either role.

Because of its strategic location on the seaboard, the town is a hub of activity for rum-runners, minutes from Philadelphia, hours from New York City and a day's drive from Chicago. And Nucky Thompson takes full advantage. Nucky has carved out a niche for himself as the man to see for any illegal alcohol. He is an equal opportunity gangster, doing business with Arnold Rothstein (Michael Stuhlbarg), Lucky Luciano, (Vincent Piazza) Al Capone (Stephen Graham), and Johnny Torrio (Greg Antonacci).

The show also stars Michael Kenneth Williams ('The Wire') as Chalky White, the leader of the city's African-American community; Michael Shannon as Nelson Van Alden; Gretchen Mol as Gillian Darmody, an opportunistic ex-showgirl; Jack Huston as Richard Harrow, a maimed war veteran; Shea Whigham as Nucky's resentful brother Eli; and Kelly Macdonald as Margaret, Nucky's recent wife.)

'Boardwalk Empire' is inspired by the non-fiction book "Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times and Corruption of Atlantic City" by Nelson Johnson.

My Take:

My wife and I watched Boardwalk Empire during its first season and really enjoyed it. For some reason we didn’t watch season two and sort of lost sight of it after that. When HBO sent me season three for review we saw it as a great opportunity to jump back into the fray.

Picking up 16 months after Season 2 ended, Season 3 begins on New Year's Eve 1922-23. The Roaring '20s are about to start; though the economy is booming, alcohol has become scarce, competition is fierce, and gangster violence is heating up. Amidst this backdrop, Nucky, whose marriage to Margaret (Kelly Macdonald) has become a sham after she signed away his highway windfall to the church, faces new competition in the person of Gyp Rosetti (new cast member Bobby Cannavale), who builds a new strategic bulkhead between New York and Atlantic City in an effort to siphon off Nucky's alcohol business. The conflict brings out the best and worst in Nucky, who proves his brutal mettle in a series of violent encounters. New and familiar faces also undergo compelling metamorphoses as the season unfolds with plenty of grit, greed and continuing struggles for power.

As with season one, we thoroughly enjoyed season three. The world of Nucky Thompson and his cohorts is brimming with seedy characters, double dealing, gangland violence and hidden passion. Several interesting new faces add a new and complimentary element. The most significant being Bobby Cannavale’s Gyp Rosetti the Italian NY gangster who is clearly determined to make a mark for himself at Nucky’s expense. Their conflict serves as the foundation and in some cases the catalyst for some of the season’s best moments. Relationships some old and new are both developed and tested and there is no question that the ante is upped as blood has to be spilled if “order” is to be restored. Aside from the mob mentality there are several subplots that make for great diversions. My favorite involves Richard, the disfigured war veteran turned servant to Madame Gillian Darmody, who finds solace in his bond with her grandson as well as the potential for romance with a local woman.

The writing and direction is excellent as the narrative stays on point drawing closer to the inevitable conflagration that leaves devastation in its wake. I like the fact that characters that you would deem as indispensable aren’t and plot points that seem trivial wind up being thematically systemic. The finale befits the events preceding and I loved the ending which left enough narrative threads to fuel the potential for season four.

Season three is spread out over five BD-50 dual layered Blu-ray discs. The bonus content is integrated and viewable by selecting the Enhanced viewing option or as applicable individually. There are also six audio commentaries by writers, directors, and cast members that further enhance the viewing experience. After having watched the show previously I found that it quickly becomes addicting and season three is no different as it has plenty of twists, turns and surprises as we follow the 1920’s era riff raff from New York Chicago and of course New Jersey. I look forward to the next season and what lies in store for this excellent TV series.

Parental Guide:

The show contains violence, language, sexual content, nudity and strong thematic material.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Boardwalk Empire The complete third season comes to Blu-ray Disc from HBO featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 28 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.8 Mbps.

This high definition video presentation looks great and features a distinctive visual aesthetic that utilizes a reserved chromatic palette which makes use of sepia tones and muted primaries. This along with the application of filtering/lighting provides the period style look the show’s creators were striving for. Certain sequences/elements make bolder use of color with noticeably deeper saturation. Contrast and brightness are well balanced which results in distortion free and satisfying image quality. Blacks appear deep and punchy but delineation in low level scenes can range from very good to average. Flesh tones are a bit on the bland side but retain enough complexional variety to avoid appearing lifeless. Close ups offer appreciable texture and subtle refinement. Wide angle shots, especially those shot in the natural light of day, have excellent depth, with sharp resolute definition quality that is rarely questionable. I didn’t notice any signs of compression or video related artifacts.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound keeps pace with the video and is quite good. Dynamics are robust and highs are crisp without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with defining tonal expression and room penetrating depth through the center channel. The front soundstage is diffused with excellent separation and clearly articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the entire surround platform. At times it opens up quite nicely to create an involving surround mix containing a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however it appropriately supports the source elements and provides an appreciably tight, and punchy low end.

Bonus Features:

• American Empires: Prohibition did little to quench the country's thirst for alcohol, and proved to be a boon to the era's gangsters. Learn more about these gangsters, their influence, and their systems of distribution in this interactive compendium that focuses on New Jersey, Chicago, Pennsylvania and the Mid-West.

• Boardwalk Chronicle: Track the major players and locations within each episode, and learn more about the historical threads woven into the season three storyline with this interactive, in-feature guide.

• (HD)Newsreels: Explore some of the real-world events and historical figures that inspired Boardwalk Empire season three with these 24 exclusive featurettes (approximately 2 minutes each).

• (HD) Distilling Season 2: Look back at season two with this 14-minute recap featuring creator/executive producer Terence Winter – 14 minutes

• (HD) New Characters: An introduction to Gyp Rosetti, Billie Kent, Gaston Means, Dean O'Banion, and Benny Siegel – 5 minutes

• (HD)Boardwalk Empire - Director's Chair: Hear directors Tim Van Patten and Allen Coulter break down key scenes from season three, and how they approach taking the series from the script to the screen – 30 minutes

• (HD)Scorsese on Season 3: Award-winning director and executive producer Martin Scorsese provides a unique and detailed perspective on the third season of Boardwalk Empire – 4 minutes

• Six audio commentaries with cast and crew including creator Terence Winter, Steve Buscemi, Bobby Cannavale, Gretchen Mol and more.

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Boardwalk Empire is a well executed character driven show that pushes the envelope with its gritty period based theme which is drawn from the book "Boardwalk Empire: The Birth, High Times and Corruption of Atlantic City" by Nelson Johnson. Being a fan I appreciate its evolving, multi-layered story and enjoy the depiction of real life people set into dramatic motion. Season three continues in that vein with its compelling, violent and dark composition that is enhanced by apt direction and a superb ensemble cast. The show looks and sounds terrific in high definition and contains an assortment of fan friendly bonus features that enhance the experience on Blu-ray Disc. This five disc set is a must have for fans and comes recommended if you’re looking for a rewarding and darkly entertaining TV series.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Great in depth review Ralph thank you. This is my favorite show on TV and I've watched it from the first episode. I like the fact that it's based on real life people and although it's not totally accurate it's fairly close to the true story. Who would have thought Steve Buscemi was such a bad a$$? He is perfect for the role of Nucky Thompson. Hands down the best show on TV so waiting for the new season to start is tough but season 4 starts soon.
post #3 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Great in depth review Ralph thank you. This is my favorite show on TV and I've watched it from the first episode. I like the fact that it's based on real life people and although it's not totally accurate it's fairly close to the true story. Who would have thought Steve Buscemi was such a bad a$$? He is perfect for the role of Nucky Thompson. Hands down the best show on TV so waiting for the new season to start is tough but season 4 starts soon.

Greetings,

You're every welcome comfynumb and of course I agree.. wink.gif

Regards,
comfynumb likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #4 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 01:29 PM

Liked: 44
I absolutely love this show as well smile.gif
post #5 of 13 Old 08-15-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Ralph: you skipped season 2 but watched Seasons 1 & 3?...I think the show really took off for me at the end of Season 2...the Season 2 finale was epic...the show overall is very good but not in the same pantheon as Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad...I wish they would focus on Lucky Lucciano, Capone, Bugsy Siegel and Van Alden a bit more instead of Nucky and Margaret so much...I think the fact that they follow real-life history a bit too closely makes things a bit too predictable as we know most of the characters fate...the acting, costumes and cinematography are exellent but sometimes the story bogs down and moves too slowly...the Season 3 highlight was Gyp Rosetti (played to perfection by Bobby Cannavale)
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #6 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 02:13 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

Ralph: you skipped season 2 but watched Seasons 1 & 3?...I think the show really took off for me at the end of Season 2...the Season 2 finale was epic...the show overall is very good but not in the same pantheon as Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad...I wish they would focus on Lucky Lucciano, Capone, Bugsy Siegel and Van Alden a bit more instead of Nucky and Margaret so much...I think the fact that they follow real-life history a bit too closely makes things a bit too predictable as we know most of the characters fate...the acting, costumes and cinematography are exellent but sometimes the story bogs down and moves too slowly...the Season 3 highlight was Gyp Rosetti (played to perfection by Bobby Cannavale)

Greetings,

I can't recall why we didn't continue after season one because we really liked it. I did get caught up though before watching season three and couldn't agree more about Bobby Cannavale.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #7 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The show isn't centered around Capone or Luciano, although I like how the actors portray them in BE, they've had their own movies and shows about their life, the shows about Nucky and how he became king of the bootlegging business, part of the allure is it's based on a true story. Lets be honest besides the main names we all know, how many of the other names have you really heard of? I never got into game of thrones, to me it's just another fantasy series, and very predictable. I also never really watched breaking bad, although I guess it's very good.
post #8 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 03:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:

The show isn't centered around Capone or Luciano. They've had their own movies and shows about their life, the shows about Nucky and how he became king of the bootlegging business. I never got into game of thrones, to me it's just another fantasy series, and very predictable. I also never really watched breaking bad, although I guess it's very good.

yes it isn't centered around those characters but I think therin lies the problem...Nucky is probably the least interesting character in the entire show...I'm much more invested in Chalky White, Van Alden, Richard Harrow, Joe Masseria etc...it's not a bad show by any means but I prefer to watch it in bunches versus week-to-week as it can get a bit slow
post #9 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

yes it isn't centered around those characters but I think therin lies the problem...Nucky is probably the least interesting character in the entire show...I'm much more invested in Chalky White, Van Alden, Richard Harrow, Joe Masseria etc...it's not a bad show by any means but I prefer to watch it in bunches versus week-to-week as it can get a bit slow

I agree at one point (about 4 episodes) last season things got a little slow. I guess there was more personal life drama than the action we became used too. But the ending with Gyp made the season worth it biggrin.gif
post #10 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I have yet to watch this show but reading this makes me want to.

I love Mob stories as they have pretty much everything a good drama needs. However, I make sure to not subscribe to more than one premium channel at a time and I am a huge Dexter and Homeland fan. So Showtime got my money.

That said, I also really enjoy Game of Thrones and have both seasons on Bluray....anxiously awaiting the 3rd.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #11 of 13 Old 08-16-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I have yet to watch this show but reading this makes me want to.

I love Mob stories as they have pretty much everything a good drama needs. However, I make sure to not subscribe to more than one premium channel at a time and I am a huge Dexter and Homeland fan. So Showtime got my money.

That said, I also really enjoy Game of Thrones and have both seasons on Bluray....anxiously awaiting the 3rd.

If you like gangster movies/shows you'll really like this. It has some great actors/ characters. Highly recommended.
post #12 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

If you like gangster movies/shows you'll really like this. It has some great actors/ characters. Highly recommended.

Enthusiastically seconded!
comfynumb likes this.

post #13 of 13 Old 08-21-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:

Enthusiastically seconded!

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Boardwalk Empire The Complete Third Season Blu Ray
Gear in this thread - Boardwalk by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page