Studio and Year: Warner - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 142 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, Spanish/French, Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, Joel Edgerton, Isla Fisher, Jason Clarke
Directed by: Baz Luhrmann
Music by: Craig Armstrong
Written by: Baz Luhrmann & Craig Pearce
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 27, 2013

"I've just heard the most amazing thing... and here I am tantalizing you"

Film Synopsis:

"The Great Gatsby" follows would-be writer Nick Carraway as he leaves the Midwest and comes to New York City in the spring of 1922, an era of loosening morals, glittering jazz and bootleg kings. Chasing his own American Dream, Nick lands next door to a mysterious, party-giving millionaire, Jay Gatsby, and across the bay from his cousin, Daisy, and her philandering, blue-blooded husband, Tom Buchanan. It is thus that Nick is drawn into the captivating world of the super-rich, their illusions, loves and deceits. As Nick bears witness, within and without the world he inhabits, he pens a tale of impossible love, incorruptible dreams and high-octane tragedy, and holds a mirror to our own modern times and struggles.

My Take:

The '20s never roared louder than in this sumptuously romantic retelling of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Jazz Age classic. As Gatsby reinvents himself in an attempt to buy his way into the social elite of Long Island's Gold Coast, he yearns to rekindle his romance with the woman who stole his heart years before. But when the chance finally arrives, a shadow of tragedy is cast over what Gatsby long-imagined would be his triumphant moment. At its center it is the opulent evocation of an era where the spoils of success do not always suffice in the depiction of lives made soft by too much too soon.

In the hands of director/co-writer Baz Luhrmann The Great Gatsby is ostentatious affair that captures the heady swirl of the time period in all of its glitz, excess and decadence. Clearly an ambitious film with lavish production elements that exude Luhrmann’s style it would be fair to say that the script captures the essence of Fitzgerald’s story but lacks the novel’s thematic balance that draws you deep into both the plot and period. Regardless there is much to like about this adaptation beginning with the aforementioned production elements, the stirring music which is comprised of an eclectic blend of contemporary and classic music/rhythms, and strong performances by Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan, and Joel Edgerton.

I would call The Great Gatsby a faithful tribute to F. Scott Fitzgerald’s American Novel. While it may not live up to it on all fronts it would probably be unfair to hold that against it as few adaptations of such classic works do. Giving credit where credit is due I found it to be wondrous, engaging and entertaining.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for some violent images, sexual content, smoking, partying and brief language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Great Gatsby 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 2.1 Mbps.

The Great Gatsby was shot natively in 3D and is framed in its native aspect of 2.40:1. Large portions of the film were shot against green screens and the reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements translates positively here. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects or people layered in the foreground/background which serves to visually draw you in by creating a more discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There is little use of 3D imagery that goes well beyond the screen’s borders but natural dimension abounds which enhances the “being there” effect. I wasn’t drawn out of the film by odd looking proportions or hokey 3D for 3D’s sake. In fact I would say that it was just the opposite. Comparing color, flesh tone reproduction and clarity/detail I found them to be identical. I couldn’t help but feel a slight preference for the 3D version but that is probably more of a placebo effect. You can’t go wrong either way as both are equally stunning.

This is a superlative audio presentation that features wide dynamic range built around a wonderfully balanced surround mix that sounds great. This isn’t a consistently involving surround sound mix however it offers an enriching listening experience. Clarity and detail are exemplary which reveal lots of subtle nuance in the recording. The mix of dialogue and music play an integral and central role however there are brief moments that allow this mix to flex its dynamic muscle. Listening to the sequence where Jay arrives at Nick’s cottage in the “muscle” car as the camera cuts back and forth from Nick to each of the windows as Jay passes by sounds terrific as the weight of the car’s engine shakes to small house. Bass isn’t subterranean but it definitively augments the richness and tangibility of low frequencies where appropriate. Dialogue is crystalline with excellent intonation and descriptive character. The variety of music featured in the film sounds smooth, refined and airy as it augments the story with an immersive and room filling quality that is noticeably involving.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 100

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

The Great Gatsby comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Home Video featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 20 Mbps.

This is a stellar high definition presentation that boasts rich, delineated primary colors, beautifully lush pastels and vibrant hues that are vivid, bold and striking in high definition. The video quality is nothing short of mesmerizing in its depiction of the film’s digitally captured/crafted images. Objects onscreen are exquisitely detailed with a luminous and sparkling clarity that seems infinitely lucid and three dimensional. It never left me wanting for fine degrees of subtle refinement and texture. Contrast is spot on and blacks are inky and dynamic without compromise to delineation. Shadowy areas exhibit excellent depth of field and visible gradational stages. The various wide angle shots of the landscapes, digitally created backgrounds and period specific world look absolutely stunning. Flesh tones are not overtly complex in tone but appear diverse in subtle structure and complexional makeup. This is a sophisticated visual design that uses real imagery mixed with CGI. The end result is a flawless and superlative video presentation that truly evokes the spirit and emotion of the film.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• The Great Gatsby 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2:

• The Great Gatsby 2D Blu-ray (plus the following bonus features)

• (HD) The Greatness of Gatsby – 9 minute featurette

• (HD) “within and without” with Tobey Maguire – 8 minutes on set/behind the scenes

• (HD) The swinging sounds of Gatsby – 12 minute featurette

• (HD) The Jazz Age – 15 minute documentary

• (HD) Razzle Dazzle: The fashion of the 20’s – 16 minute featurette

• (HD) Fitzgerald’s poetry – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) Gatsby revealed – Interactive behind the scenes look including script reads, actor workshops, insights from cast/crew and more

• (HD) 3 deleted scenes, including a six minute alternate ending, with introduction by Baz Luhrmann

• 1926 The Great Gatsby film trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

The Great Gatsby is a prized American Novel by the F. Scott Fitzgerald that has seen its share of movie adaptations. In the hands of director/co-writer Baz Luhrmann it is truly an ostentatious affair that captures the heady swirl of the time period in all of its glitz, excess and decadence. While some of the thematic heart of the novel gets lost I still found this to be a wondrous, engaging and entertaining film experience. The Great Gatsby comes to Blu-ray from Warner Home Video in this 3D Combo Pack that features resplendent 3D/2D high definition video, excellent DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio surround sound and a complimentary assortment of bonus supplements that are well worth exploring. If you’re a fan this is a must have Blu-ray plain and simple.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package
BobNYC likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 08-18-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 69
I really didn't like the first act of the movie at all and contemplated turning it off. Thankfully I stuck with it because it got much better as it went along. I get why the director chose the artistic choices he did for the first act, it was just a bit too much for me to take. As a whole this is a strong movie though and definitely worth a look. I concur with your thoughts on the AV Ralph...it sure looks and sounds great!
Ralph Potts and audiofan1 like this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #3 of 41 Old 08-18-2013, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Looking forward to this release on blu-ray!

post #4 of 41 Old 08-18-2013, 04:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 54
With that high score for the film itself along with those audio and video scores, I'm definitely going to be picking this one up.

Thanks for reviewing it on our behalf, Ralph! cool.gif

oz
post #5 of 41 Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I really didn't like the first act of the movie at all and contemplated turning it off. Thankfully I stuck with it because it got much better as it went along. I get why the director chose the artistic choices he did for the first act, it was just a bit too much for me to take. As a whole this is a strong movie though and definitely worth a look. I concur with your thoughts on the AV Ralph...it sure looks and sounds great!

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Dave.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #6 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 75
It seems you either like Luhrmann's films or hate them. I like them and this is my favourite so far. This is a great looking 3D movie and along with Life of Pi and Hugo lend support to 3D being a positive artistic decision rather than a negative one. Personally I loved the anachronistic sound track to enhance the "feel" of the 20's. This is one of the rare films I can watch over and over again. Overall I prefer "colour" to B&W and I prefer 3D (when used well) to 2D.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #7 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 06:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Thanks for the review Ralph, will be picking this up.

Frank

post #8 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Thanks for the review Ralph, will be picking this up.

Greetings,

Sure thing Frank. Be sure to post back once you have seen it.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #9 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 113
I must be in the minority here as I didnt really care for this movie at all.

Toby McGuire in my opinion was a horrible actor throughout the movie and his narration of it was horrible and very mono-toned.

The way the film was made at times with it spinning and zooming in made me feel sick at times and I really hated the music of the movie throughout. Also, the art style that was chosen never really drew me into the story. For me atleast, there was just a serious disconnect between the story and the creative flare I guess....

I will say that DiCaprio did an excellent job and I honestly don't think there was anyone better to play the role of Gatsby.
mpalmieri1203 likes this.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

post #10 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

Toby McGuire in my opinion was a horrible actor throughout the movie and his narration of it was horrible and very mono-toned.

The way the film was made at times with it spinning and zooming in made me feel sick at times and I really hated the music of the movie throughout. Also, the art style that was chosen never really drew me into the story. For me atleast, there was just a serious disconnect between the story and the creative flare I guess....

I will say that DiCaprio did an excellent job and I honestly don't think there was anyone better to play the role of Gatsby.

Im in total agreement with you. My wife and I saw it on opening weekend in KC. We were doing some shopping there and we thought why not. The movie just didn't do it for us. I thought it tried to hard in the beginning and then the second half seemed to drag on. I also thought the music didn't fit into the era of the film and was just annoying. The 3D was pretty good though. Leo was great. He always seems to do a great job.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #11 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

DeCaprio is the best actor not to win an Oscar. I think he should have won one for The Aviator.

David Vaughn

post #12 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimeran View Post

I couldn't agree more and for all the reasons you mention. While visually stunning, the acting was horrible. I despise this style of film making and I'll be plenty satisfied when it's dead and gone.

post #13 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidcorpse View Post

I couldn't agree more and for all the reasons you mention. While visually stunning, the acting was horrible. I despise this style of film making and I'll be plenty satisfied when it's dead and gone.

Yeah, the only film of Baz's I've really liked was Strictly Ballroom. The hyper-kinetic cinematography and screw-ball silliness fit the story perfectly. After all, it was a romantic comedy with an Aussie twist.

It just doesn't work here and in past films he's worked on. I absolutely loathed Moulin Rouge!

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #14 of 41 Old 08-19-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
I loved this film! Will definitely be picking this one up. Glad to see it graded out well also!
post #15 of 41 Old 08-20-2013, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:

DeCaprio is the best actor not to win an Oscar. I think he should have won one for The Aviator.

I agree he must of pissed off the Academy at some point.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #16 of 41 Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:

I agree. He's definitely up there as one of my favourites.

Frank

post #17 of 41 Old 08-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 54
Yeah, I thought of Leonardo as nothing more than a popular kid amongst teenagers for the longest time, but as he matures he truly is doing a great job of honing his acting abilities.

As for this particular film, my own opinion regarding various movies is usually very much in line with Ralph's reviews, so I'm looking forward to watching this release on blu-ray. Thanks again, Ralph! smile.gif

oz
post #18 of 41 Old 08-21-2013, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Yeah, I thought of Leonardo as nothing more than a popular kid amongst teenagers for the longest time, but as he matures he truly is doing a great job of honing his acting abilities.

As for this particular film, my own opinion regarding various movies is usually very much in line with Ralph's reviews, so I'm looking forward to watching this release on blu-ray. Thanks again, Ralph! smile.gif

Greetings,

No problem oz and be sure to post back with your impressions. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #19 of 41 Old 08-21-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

He's been very smart about choosing his roles and has chosen quality roles over quantity.

David Vaughn

post #20 of 41 Old 08-21-2013, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

He's been very smart about choosing his roles and has chosen quality roles over quantity.
Also chooses good directors to partner with
post #21 of 41 Old 08-22-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewa View Post

Also chooses good directors to partner with

That too. Whoever was giving him career advice was smart.

David Vaughn

post #22 of 41 Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Liked: 93
I'll have this one in my Netflix queue soon only out of curiosity.

Often, I'll check out the soundtrack on Amazon or iTunes to get a feel for the music. I admit I was beyond surprised of the choices. For some they might like putting more modern music to vitnage style films but for me, it is not only an unpleasant distraction but robs the audience of a nuance of the era. Forgive me for saying it but its often feels like a cheap ploy to get younger audiences interested.

I read some of the other comments here so while I can't comment directly on the film, I'll just throw some peanuts from this gallery - DiCaprio is a good actor who often attempts roles that are not really a good fit. His acting in the Aviator was good but he was absolutely so far removed from the real Howard Hughes it almost seemed bad. I did enjoy the movie.

Zooms and fast cuts - I am no fan when there are large "staged" scenes as it seems cheap and distracting. In the movie Chicago, there are some dance scenes that are all cut up and remind me of a crappy MTV vicdeo and that was a real shame as the numbers seemed to be quite good. This is the typical cuts I expect from the likes of Stallone in "Staying Alive" because he doesn't know how to handle full shots from beginning to end. Lets remember that Fred Astaire fought hard to try to have as few or none at all cuts in dance numbers. Here, we get zooms, cuts and other nonsense due to lack of (sorry just an opinion) talent on the post production edits and the director.

Hopefully, this movie will fair better than some of the comments and yes, I'll try to get beyond the contemporary tunes used for this epic classic era piece of storyline.

Ralph as always - so glad you are here to review these movies and if anything pique our interests to try out movies we might otherwise skip over.
post #23 of 41 Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
I'm very happy to hear that pop outs are kept to a minimum. I enjoy them on animation 3d movies but find live action distracting. My copy is out for delivery today so it should be a fun evening.smile.gif

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #24 of 41 Old 08-26-2013, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

I'm very happy to hear that pop outs are kept to a minimum. I enjoy them on animation 3d movies but find live action distracting. My copy is out for delivery today so it should be a fun evening.smile.gif

Tom

Greetings,

Great! Enjoy Tom... smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #25 of 41 Old 08-26-2013, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Thanks Ralph:)

I watched the first hour and was blown away with the 3d. Anyone who says 3d is useless for a drama needs to watch this.

The lack of a bunch of pop outs really works for this film. I really felt like I was on set.

Thanks for spot on review Ralph!

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
post #26 of 41 Old 08-27-2013, 05:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Monahan View Post

Thanks Ralph:)

I watched the first hour and was blown away with the 3d. Anyone who says 3d is useless for a drama needs to watch this.

The lack of a bunch of pop outs really works for this film. I really felt like I was on set.

Thanks for spot on review Ralph!

Tom

Greetings,

You're welcome Tom and thanks for posting your impressions. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #27 of 41 Old 09-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Liked: 17
I watched the movie in my theater tonight with some friends and family on a 125" 2.35 screen with a Sony HW50es projector. The movie is visually stunning but myself and the other 6 people that watched the movie thought it was the dumbest movie we've ever seen (ok, maybe Burn After Reading was worse in my opinion). This just wasn't interesting at all to me, it was way too slow, didn't have much of a story whatsoever and the narrating was just so tiring I almost wanted to sleep. We all said the same thing when the movie was over, we wanted our 2 1/2 hours of time back. I know everyone likes different types of movies, I'm just giving my opinion. The picture and sound were stunning in 2D, probably won't watch it again just to watch it in 3D, but other than that I didn't care for this film at all.
post #28 of 41 Old 09-03-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 11
I missed this in 3D in the theater (only showed 1 week in 3D). I might actually pick this up on disc to see it. I’m betting it does rank with the other notable 3D titles and would be worthy of a purchase.
post #29 of 41 Old 09-07-2013, 09:27 AM

Liked: 11
I couldn’t resist picking this up this week (ok, we’re hosting the Gentleman of the Road Tour this weekend too I confess – it added an element of appeal to the purchase). I lucked out and got it for $29.99 at Best Buy with some Rewards Points – I can’t believe these discs are retailing for like $38! That’s crazy!

The 3D was so subtle – I can actually see why it might not have been received well by an audience who paid extra to see it in ‘3D’ if they expected to be blown over with 3D effects. I actually enjoyed it though. It was a different sort of 3D experience. I’m glad to have it in my little ‘collection’ for reference of a different take on what 3D can do to add to the experience.

It’s otherwise a visual and audio delight imho. I guess I can see why the story might be a little bla for some, but I enjoyed it.
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #30 of 41 Old 09-07-2013, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastfwd View Post

I couldn’t resist picking this up this week (ok, we’re hosting the Gentleman of the Road Tour this weekend too I confess – it added an element of appeal to the purchase). I lucked out and got it for $29.99 at Best Buy with some Rewards Points – I can’t believe these discs are retailing for like $38! That’s crazy!

The 3D was so subtle – I can actually see why it might not have been received well by an audience who paid extra to see it in ‘3D’ if they expected to be blown over with 3D effects. I actually enjoyed it though. It was a different sort of 3D experience. I’m glad to have it in my little ‘collection’ for reference of a different take on what 3D can do to add to the experience.

It’s otherwise a visual and audio delight imho. I guess I can see why the story might be a little bla for some, but I enjoyed it.

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Fastfwd..smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
The Great Gatsby Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List