Studio and Year: 20th Century Fox - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG
Feature running time: 102 minutes
Genre: Family/Fantasy/Adventure

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, English/Spanish/French Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish
Starring: Colin Farrel, Josh Hutcherson, Amanda Seyfried, Christoph Waltz, Beyonce Knowles, Aziz Ansari, Chris O’Dowd, Jason Sudeikis, Steven Tyler
Directed by: Chris Wedge
Music by: Danny Elfman
Written by: James V. Hart, William Joyce, Dan Shere, Tom J. Astle, Matt Ember
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: August 20, 2013

"Discover a world beyond your imagination"

Film Synopsis:

Transported to a magical world, a teenager (Amanda Seyfried) is recruited by a nature spirit, Queen Tara (Beyoncé Knowles), to help the “Leafmen” save their existence – and ours – from evil warriors. The whole family will love this fast-paced thrill-ride, with its astonishing animation and all-star voice cast that includes Colin Farrell, Oscar® Winner Christoph Waltz, and Steven Tyler!

My Take:

From the creators of Ice Age and Rio, Epic tells the story of an ongoing battle between the Leafmen, forces of good, who keep the natural world alive, and the forces of evil, the Boggans, who wish to destroy it. When a teenage girl finds herself magically transported into this secret universe, she teams up with an elite band of the Leafmen, and a crew of comical, larger-than-life figures, to save their world – and ours.

Epic is a quaint animated adventure fantasy that is seen through the eyes of M.K a spirited and headstrong 17-year-old who finds herself on the journey of a lifetime. After returning to her childhood home to connect with her estranged father, Professor Bomba, M.K. loses patience with his endless stories of unseen people who live in the woods. But when she is magically transported into the Leafmen’s world, she gains a new perspective. To find her way home, M.K. must do more than believe in this world; she’ll have to help save it. Along the way M.K. makes new friends and learns a few things about herself including the fact that perhaps she has been a little tough on her dad.

Geared more toward younger audiences but not what I would deem juvenile Epic carries an eco friendly theme, a light coming of age platform and a spirited sense of adventure derived from good versus evil. I didn’t find the characters to be especially endearing although they fit nicely within the narrative construct. The storyline is more or less a paint by the numbers affair that brings nothing original to the genre as the plot moves through the requisite stages toward the finale. That isn’t to suggest that Epic is soporific or flat. The pacing hits the mark and there is enough playfulness, action and goofy sidekicks to keep little ones chuckling and their parents tepidly engaged. At the end of the day I found it to be worth watching and the kind of animated entertainment that’s perfect for family movie night.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for mild action, some scary images and brief rude language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 92

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

3D Presentation: 90

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Epic 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.2 Mbps.

Epic is a native 3D film that positively translates to Blu-ray via this sparkling high definition presentation. Detail is well preserved as the image retains its high level of clarity as objects within the frame are delineated and sharp. Depth is appreciable as evidenced by the notable separation of objects and or characters within the frame which serves to create a discerning sense of virtual space occupied by things of various sizes and shapes. There are a variety of sequences that provide a fun reach out and touch sense of dimensionality. Comparing color reproduction to the 2D presentation I saw no discernible difference. The rendering of detail, contrast and black levels is similar with both looking equally good. Ghosting/crosstalk was only noticeable in one or two instances against bright backgrounds and may be missed unless you’re looking for it. Epic makes for an entertaining 3D film experience.

The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack makes for a rewarding home theater experience. This is a fairly active sound design that truly benefits from the higher resolution that lossless audio offers. Dynamics are noteworthy as the elements contained within the recording have definitive energy and potent impact. Danny Elfman’s music score plays an integral role in this presentation and the entire surround platform is used to present the instrumental performance. Dialogue is crystalline with appreciable tonal inflection and non sibilant vocal character. The auditory is rich in clarity and detail which allows the subtle environmental sounds in the recording to easily be heard. The mix creates an immersive surround sound experience that achieves excellent balance which correlates nicely with the events transpiring onscreen. Low frequency effects are authoritative and tight and frequently engage the room with palpable low level bass. This isn’t an aggressive surround sound mix but it is an articulate one that makes for an involving listening experience that will give your audio system a workout.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 96

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Epic comes to Blu-ray Disc from Fox featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 30 Mbps.

This is a pristine and reference quality high definition presentation from Fox. The video quality is visually arresting in its depiction of the film’s animated subjects. Detail and definition is impeccably rendered as images have a luminous and sparkling clarity that is appreciably dimensional. Fine degrees of subtle delineation and texture are clearly discernible. The attention to detail in the construction of the animated characters physical features as well as objects within each frame is superb. Colors are richly saturated, vibrant and beautifully rendered. Primaries are particularly vivid and exhibit visibly delineated stages that bring out subtle degrees of separation. Contrast is spot on as blacks are rich with deep highlights, whites and grays exhibit multi-layered depth and refined detail that give them excellent dimension.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• 3D Blu-ray

• Disc 2:

• 2D Blu-ray (plus the following bonus features)

• (HD)Mub & Grub Intro - Join Mub and Grub for an EPIC tour through the special features of this Blu-ray!

• (HD) Birds, Bugs and Slugs: Forest Explorer - Journey into the forest to meet the real-life counterparts of the EPIC world (5 minutes)

• (HD) Rot Rocks - Mandrake might be the bad guy, but his world of rot benefits ours in a number of ways, let’s discover how (3 minutes)

• (HD) Bugs of Camouflage - Join us to find out how bugs use their environment to hide right under our noses, just like the Leafmen (3 minutes)

• (HD) The Epic Life At Two Inches Tall - How would your life be different if you were only two inches tall? Aside from being small, there are some surprising and amazing benefits (3 minutes)

• (HD) Mysteries of Moonhaven Revealed - Meet the incredibly talented filmmakers, artists, and animators at Blue Sky, and learn all about the making of EPIC
    1. The World – 4 minutes
    2. The Leafmen – 5 minutes
    3. Queen Tara – 3 minutes
    4. Mub & Grub – 4 minutes
    5. Nim Galuu – 2 minutes
    6. The Stompers – 4 minutes
    7. Finding Moonhaven – 1 minute
  • Epic Coloring & Storybook Builder App – Color your own EPIC story with exclusive pages on your iOS or Android devices. Then become the story teller by recording your own voice and share on your television with family and friends

• Includes a snail and leaf seed (and instructions) so you can grow your own Epic garden

• (HD) Theatrical Trailer

• Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet HD

Final Thoughts:

From the creators of Ice Age and Rio, Epic is a decent family animated adventure that makes for an entertaining way to spend the evening on movie night. It comes to Blu-ray Disc from 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment in this three disc package that features top notch 3D and 2D high definition video presentations, engaging DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio surround sound and a fair supplemental package that has a little bit for both young and adult fans. Epic is worth checking out so toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin on Blu-ray.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 115
I havent seen this yet but I am certainly interested.

The previews made me think of "Ferngully: The Last Rainforest" that I watched as a kid.

Trying to enjoy the simple things in life.

Steam: madbrayniak

Old 08-23-2013, 08:58 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Thanks for the review have ordered on Amazon missed at the theatre last month over here. smile.gif

Frank
Old 08-25-2013, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I didn't think much of this film or it's 3D but that Croods 3D trailer looks sensational. I can hardly wait for the first of October.smile.gif It's going to be an "Epic" day in regards to 3D releases.wink.gif

Tom

My equipment: JVC RS55 for 2D, BenQ W7000 for 3D, Carada 40x117 2.925:1 AR BW Criterion screen, Navatar .8 HD conversion lens, Darbee Darblet, region free Oppo BP93, Toshiba HD-A35 HD-DVD, JVC HD-DH5U D-Theater, Mitsubishi HS-HD 20000 DVHS, Pioneer CLD-97 LD player/AC-3 mod, B&K AC3 Demodulator
Old 08-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Tried to get my better half to watch this last week. Based on this review, I'm trying again next weekend. 😄

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
My wife took our 5-yr-old son to this (2D theater) and they liked it a lot. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too, Ralph! Looking forward to the 3d Blu-ray... cool.gif
Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM
CIH USER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

My wife took our 5-yr-old son to this (2D theater) and they liked it a lot. Glad to hear you enjoyed it too, Ralph! Looking forward to the 3d Blu-ray... cool.gif

Good to read Taranteacher my kids are looking forward to watching this on the weekend. We missed it at the movies

Frank
Old 08-27-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 688
Quote:

Greetings,

Great! Be sure to post back once you have seen the 3D Blu...smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 586
This one was presented very well in 3D even if the adventure itself didn't quite live up to the title.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Held our 5th annual outdoor movie night last weekend, bought Epic for it, watched 2D.
We had 50+ people, my kids are 11, 9, and 7, so the crowd were kids that age and their parents.

Ralph your review is spot on!
I can honestly say people really enjoyed the movie, it told a story and held their interest.

fwiw, here is a pict of my outdoor set-up....from last years movie...I got so busy missed taking images of the crowd this year.
_MG_8756.jpg.. 8-30-2012%2520movie2.jpg
Taranteacher likes this.
Old 08-30-2013, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Held our 5th annual outdoor movie night last weekend, bought Epic for it, watched 2D.
We had 50+ people, my kids are 11, 9, and 7, so the crowd were kids that age and their parents.

Ralph your review is spot on!
I can honestly say people really enjoyed the movie, it told a story and held their interest.

fwiw, here is a pict of my outdoor set-up....from last years movie...I got so busy missed taking images of the crowd this year.
_MG_8756.jpg.. 8-30-2012%2520movie2.jpg

What a cool setup! Looks like a lot of fun smile.gif
Old 09-07-2013, 07:53 AM
CIH USER

Watched this in 2D today with the kids, we loved it. Had fantastic audio and made good usage of the surround effects especially with the dog running behind you . smile.gif

Frank
Old 09-07-2013, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Watched this in 2D today with the kids, we loved it. Had fantastic audio and made good usage of the surround effects especially with the dog running behind you . smile.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it Frank! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 09-30-2013, 10:35 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Great! Be sure to post back once you have seen the 3D Blu...smile.gif

Regards,

Greetings, Ralph! Posting back wink.gif : We finally got to see this at home. Went back to re-read your review and all I can say is I couldn't agree with you more! Epic is missing just a tad to becoming what its title suggests, but all in all it's a great film that I'm happy to have bought 3D---the 3D is really nice, or rather nicely-realistic, BTW! cool.gif

I thought the characters were generally very likeable, but the main leafman seemed somewhat under-rendered in comparison, if you know what I mean. He's a cool guy that could've "looked" better IMO. By contrast, that chubby slug steals the show! biggrin.gif Storywise it does feel "been there" but is still one worth telling, eh? I think what it really captures is the beauty of nature and helps make it that much more valuable to our kids---you can almost smell the woods! Soundwise I have no complaints, nice use of 7.1. smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin View Post

Right on, mate! cool.gif That dog sure is another great addition to the fun factor, ain't it? tongue.gif

Cheers!
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 10-01-2013, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:

Greetings, Ralph! Posting back wink.gif : We finally got to see this at home. Went back to re-read your review and all I can say is I couldn't agree with you more! Epic is missing just a tad to becoming what its title suggests, but all in all it's a great film that I'm happy to have bought 3D---the 3D is really nice, or rather nicely-realistic, BTW! cool.gif

I thought the characters were generally very likeable, but the main leafman seemed somewhat under-rendered in comparison, if you know what I mean. He's a cool guy that could've "looked" better IMO. By contrast, that chubby slug steals the show! biggrin.gif Storywise it does feel "been there" but is still one worth telling, eh? I think what it really captures is the beauty of nature and helps make it that much more valuable to our kids---you can almost smell the woods! Soundwise I have no complaints, nice use of 7.1. smile.gif
Right on, mate! cool.gif That dog sure is another great addition to the fun factor, ain't it? tongue.gif

Cheers!

Greetings,

Thanks for sharing your impressions/thoughts Taranteacher. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-01-2013, 08:27 AM
CIH USER

Quote:

Cheers!

Yeah that dog was cool, the kids loved him smile.gif

Frank
Old 11-24-2013, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Glad to find that Epic Bluray/DVD Combo Pack is only $9.99 at Amazon.

Linky.

Tags
Epic Blu Ray 3d Combo Pack