Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 569 Old 10-22-2013, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by West1134 View Post

Sorry if this was covered in prev. pages, I jumped through them trying to follow the overall conversation.

But I fired up Star Trek 2 on my PS3 the other night (saw it in theaters, got it on release day but have been out of town for work and this was the first I've had time to watch it) and I gotta tell you, I was VERY disappointed in the picture quality during the opening scene.

Even my wife (who is in no way a videophile / picky person) said "this doesn't look HD, it looks standard def." The opening scene where they are on the planet with all the red plants just seemed super fuzzy to me, and the colors were all washed out.

Now I immediately paused it, and adjusted my settings on my PJ (Viewsonic Pro8200) I had the brightness cranked too high due to watching an the original Aliens movie not long ago, etc etc. Anyways I got it to where the colors and brightness and everything were dialed in and it helped tremendously, but I still felt that it didn't look CRISP, as Blu Ray typically does. As the movie continued I felt it got better, and the clarity on the faces were awesome, could see the pores, sweat rolling down the face etc.

So I was just curious if anyone else felt this way about the opening scene? Again I realize that part of it was my settings were out of whack on the PJ that was more brightness, saturation, etc. and once those were back in line it still didn't hold the crisp look I'm accustomed to.

Thoughts?

Are you sure you put in the Blu-ray (the cover art is blue, if I recall). On my copy the DVD copy was on the left side and was not behind the UV code in the box. Be sure you put in the right disc!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 569 Old 10-23-2013, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 610
Quote:

Sorry if this was covered in prev. pages, I jumped through them trying to follow the overall conversation.

But I fired up Star Trek 2 on my PS3 the other night (saw it in theaters, got it on release day but have been out of town for work and this was the first I've had time to watch it) and I gotta tell you, I was VERY disappointed in the picture quality during the opening scene.

Even my wife (who is in no way a videophile / picky person) said "this doesn't look HD, it looks standard def." The opening scene where they are on the planet with all the red plants just seemed super fuzzy to me, and the colors were all washed out.

Now I immediately paused it, and adjusted my settings on my PJ (Viewsonic Pro8200) I had the brightness cranked too high due to watching an the original Aliens movie not long ago, etc etc. Anyways I got it to where the colors and brightness and everything were dialed in and it helped tremendously, but I still felt that it didn't look CRISP, as Blu Ray typically does. As the movie continued I felt it got better, and the clarity on the faces were awesome, could see the pores, sweat rolling down the face etc.

So I was just curious if anyone else felt this way about the opening scene? Again I realize that part of it was my settings were out of whack on the PJ that was more brightness, saturation, etc. and once those were back in line it still didn't hold the crisp look I'm accustomed to.

Thoughts?

Greetings,

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary in terms of resolution or sharpness. I agree that you may want to double check that you didn't inadvertently insert the DVD rather than the Blu-ray disc into your player.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #543 of 569 Old 10-23-2013, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
....I'm a dumb**s....

I went and checked this morning. Yes, I grabbed the DVD version. I didn't even notice that it was a "combo-pack" and missed the Blu-Ray completely as it was behind the inserted papers on the left. Haha I feel like a complete idiot. Next time I'll keep the lights up in the theater room before looking for the movie lol.

Thanks!
post #544 of 569 Old 10-23-2013, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 104
Quote:

....I'm a dumb**s....

I went and checked this morning. Yes, I grabbed the DVD version. I didn't even notice that it was a "combo-pack" and missed the Blu-Ray completely as it was behind the inserted papers on the left. Haha I feel like a complete idiot. Next time I'll keep the lights up in the theater room before looking for the movie lol.

Thanks!

There's a reason why I thought this was the case. I made the same mistake at one point with another movie. I hate how Paramount makes the DVD the most accessible disc!

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #545 of 569 Old 10-23-2013, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I did it a few times but since I almost always choose looseless audio which DVD lacks, none of these turned into a disaster.
post #546 of 569 Old 11-11-2013, 07:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Just got around to watching this BD, sound and picture was terrific. Using PS3 slim and noticed a little off sync in the dialog. Excellent 7.1 sound, great action ..Anyone else have problems with the dialog out of sync? thanks in advance..

post #547 of 569 Old 11-11-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I finally broke down and bought the 2D Blu-ray of this movie and watched it in my basement theater - with a 9 1/2 foot wide (not diagonal) screen, sitting 10 feet away (my mini-IMax) - with the same friend I had seen it with in 3D when it first came out.

I didn't enjoy the film in 3D - see my comments above in this thread about how the explosion debris flying off the screen and then evaporating harmlessley, instead of making the film more involving, actually took me out of the film by underlining its artificiality. That, plus the "film it normally and then convert it to 3D" approach having the effect of turning it into an "animated pop-up book" doomed it for me as an involving drama.

I loved it in 2D. Without those distractions, the film's character-driven essence came to the fore, and even some dialog I hadn't focused on became clearer.

Lots of folks have criticized the film's role-reversal, relative to The Wrath of Khan, with Kirk, rather than Spock, taking the fatal step of personally repairing the warp core.

Two things about that sequence: (1) What Kirk does to fix it makes a lot more sense visually than Spock's rather abstract manipulations in The Wrath of Khan, and (2) the writers acknowledged the reversal, in this alternate timeline, by Kirk's telling Spock, in his last words, that "I saved you from the volcano because we're friends" and "You did what I would have done [in giving the torpedoes to Khan, but set to explode], and I did what you would have done." [sacrificing himself to save the ship]

My only question is - where the hell did that tribble come from?

Was the low frequency extension there or missing in my 5.1 analog-connected, Oppo 93-driven system when The Vengance crashed?

I honestly didn't notice. I certainly didn't notice anything there that shouldn't have been.

And there were several "making of" extra features on my single-disk 2D version - maybe they just didn't fit on a 3D disk. (The included DVD version had only the promotional video for the veterans' organization.)

-Phil

post #548 of 569 Old 11-17-2013, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 21
We just had a chance to watch this in 3D.!! This is only my 2nd movie being previewed at home this way and I really liked the CGI and 3D never feeling overdone although the flare effects could have been scaled back a bit.The sound effects were good but intense causing me to have to lower the volume some for all the listeners to be happy but then some scenes seem to not have the impact I was expecting so to be honest I much preferred the first movie's sound. The story line was great as I like seeing more character development and filling in answers to question I may have had to the older movies .

There should be no doubt for me that a 3rd movie will come out sooner than later.
post #549 of 569 Old 11-17-2013, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 40
With the release of ps4, the bluray 3d of star trek won't work, just the 2nd version with Dolby TrueHD. Does the ps4 support the same audio codecs as ps3?
post #550 of 569 Old 11-21-2013, 07:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 29
ps4 doesnt support Blu Ray 3D
post #551 of 569 Old 11-21-2013, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonAlam 
ps4 doesnt support Blu Ray 3D
ps4 doesnt support Blu Ray 3D (and 4K) right now.

Keep an eye on PS4™ System Update wink.gif
post #552 of 569 Old 12-13-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 90
I just read the review of "Star Trek Into Darkness" in the newest issue of sound and vision and it's worth checking out.

His review has humor and substance. He gives good marks to the 2D version, the 3D not so much. I thought the 3D was good, not great. It was mostly subtle. The light flares had a problem at times. I don't mind the light flares.
Check out the review by Shane Buettner.
post #553 of 569 Old 12-23-2013, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
If only Paramount issued a digital copy of MI GP in Imax aspect ratio scenes ala Star Trek Into Darkness complete with commentary for PCs (for itunes).....the digital copy of Into Darkness is fun to watch as the creators of the film slow down the film...extending the length to around 3 hours.
post #554 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 143
I'm curious. Is it normal for there to be a small amount of "noise" in some scenes? Especially in face closeups and sometimes when the background is muddy or not completely in focus. I just got a KDL-70R550A and the picture looks beautiful. Just wonder if the noise thing is just a thing with large LEDs or if that my picture is so good it's catching even the imperfections? I ask this because it scores 100 in video presentation and I trust Ralph's rating. So I wondering if it's just my TV. I would describe the noise as grain.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #555 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

I'm curious. Is it normal for there to be a small amount of "noise" in some scenes? Especially in face closeups and sometimes when the background is muddy or not completely in focus. I just got a KDL-70R550A and the picture looks beautiful. Just wonder if the noise thing is just a thing with large LEDs or if that my picture is so good it's catching even the imperfections? I ask this because it scores 100 in video presentation and I trust Ralph's rating. So I wondering if it's just my TV. I would describe the noise as grain.
Yes, this movie has the typical film grain noticeable in many shots (as does Man Of Steel). It's an artistic license thing which is also dependent on the equipment used in filming (i.e. some camera equipment inherently produces more noticeable film grain and some directors deliberately use cameras/equipment or camera settings that produce more noticeable grain to achieve a desired 'look'). After seeing Oblivion though, I'm spoiled. The way that movie looks is simply breathtaking on a big, detailed display.

Max
post #556 of 569 Old 12-24-2013, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 245 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbluemax1 View Post

Yes, this movie has the typical film grain noticeable in many shots (as does Man Of Steel). It's an artistic license thing which is also dependent on the equipment used in filming (i.e. some camera equipment inherently produces more noticeable film grain and some directors deliberately use cameras/equipment or camera settings that produce more noticeable grain to achieve a desired 'look'). After seeing Oblivion though, I'm spoiled. The way that movie looks is simply breathtaking on a big, detailed display.

Max

Thanks for making me go out and buy Oblivion now. smile.gif

That's nice to know, thanks for the answer. At least I won't have to worry about my TV being bad. I never noticed the grain on my DLP which is nearly the same size as my new TV. But I'm guessing that's just because either it's tech hides grain better or the LED is much more accurate so it actually shows more, even the artifacts.

Sony KDL-70R550A (passive 3D tv)
Denon x4000 (amazing sound correcting software)
Klipsch RF-62IIs (amazing horns)
Klipsch RC-62II (so clear)
Klipsch RS-41IIs (so full)
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d (so boom)
post #557 of 569 Old 01-05-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 519
After seeing this one in 3d again recently I had no issues with the sound and thought it was one of the best of the year. I did watch -15 down though and could tell there was a bit less down deep than the first one. The excellent 3d and video made this extremely enjoyable.
post #558 of 569 Old 01-17-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post

My only question is - where the hell did that tribble come from?

A hint: Rewatch the sequence where the landing party for the Klingon homeworld is getting ready to board the freighter. If you pay close attention as to the origin of that freighter, that will instantly tell you where the Tribble came from.
post #559 of 569 Old 01-22-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:

....I'm a dumb**s....

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Quote:

....I'm a dumb**s....

Thanks!

There's a reason why I thought this was the case. I made the same mistake at one point with another movie. I hate how Paramount makes the DVD the most accessible disc!

Me too.
I did it once and now, I make sure to insert the blu-ray and not the DVD.

Ray

Birthdays are good for you
The more you have
The longer you live
post #560 of 569 Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 AM

Liked: 12

I have seen this movie TWICE in 3d in the cinema, incl. once in IMAX.

I Now own it on 3d bluray. Superb! I have watched it at home in 3d with only 2.1 sound, as i only own a 3d 23" computer monitor with 2.1 ch audio set attached. But i have also a 2d tv with 5.1ch truehd/dts(hd) surround home theatre receiver setup with bluray player , so i will rewatch the movie in 2d with 5.1 sound as well later on.

I am a big star trek fan, so many viewngs are not a problem.

The movie is highly entertaining. The first reboot film from 2009 was slightly better i.m.o.,  but this is great entertainment as well!

I agree with the reviewer that the 3D is very well, yes, greatly, done!

And the sound was already great on my 2.1 audio system on the PC/blurayplayer setup.

Love the michael giacchino soundtrack as well. Great stuff!

thanks for the review.

enjoy, folks. Can be recommended!

EDIT: i now have seen the "klingon (Kronos) scenes " in 5.1 surround hd sound. Wonderful effects, bass etc. Sounds truely great!

Ralph Potts likes this.
post #561 of 569 Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Has anyone else noticed issues with random portions of harsh dialog when viewing this movie? During certain scenes to me the audio quality appears to degrade said the speaker is being pushed to hard (it's not - using an NHT 2C well below reference).
post #562 of 569 Old 03-12-2014, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjodotcom View Post

Has anyone else noticed issues with random portions of harsh dialog when viewing this movie? During certain scenes to me the audio quality appears to degrade said the speaker is being pushed to hard (it's not - using an NHT 2C well below reference).

Haven't heard it, and I'm usually a little sensitive to such things. Is it with a particular character or characters? Can you cite an instance?

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #563 of 569 Old 03-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Haven't heard it, and I'm usually a little sensitive to such things. Is it with a particular character or characters? Can you cite an instance?

A few places that come to mind - when Kirk is talking to Spock excitedly about the potential for a five year mission early in the movie. And immediately afterwards when Pike yells that the civilization saw a starship rise out of the ocean.
post #564 of 569 Old 03-16-2014, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi folks,

I am looking to purchase this movie in Blu-ray and noticed that the single DVD package for this movie has a 16:9 aspect ratio while the BD/DVD combo pack has a 2.40:1 ratio. My TV has a ratio of 16:9 and I was wondering where I can get the BD in 16:9 so it will fill my whole screen.

Thanks,

p.
post #565 of 569 Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53 View Post

Hi folks,

I am looking to purchase this movie in Blu-ray and noticed that the single DVD package for this movie has a 16:9 aspect ratio while the BD/DVD combo pack has a 2.40:1 ratio. My TV has a ratio of 16:9 and I was wondering where I can get the BD in 16:9 so it will fill my whole screen.

Thanks,

p.

You can't. 2.40 is the original aspect ratio.
post #566 of 569 Old 03-17-2014, 10:18 AM

Liked: 15
Thanks. Out of curiosity, why does the DVD have a 16:9 aspect ratio?
post #567 of 569 Old 03-17-2014, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by pieper53 View Post

Hi folks,

p.

If you want to see the movie with picture missing just to fill your screen, you can see it cropped that way in HD on the EPIX channel.

post #568 of 569 Old 08-07-2014, 04:15 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema13 View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by pieper53 

Hi folks,

p.

If you want to see the movie with picture missing just to fill your screen, you can see it cropped that way in HD on the EPIX channel.

Or he can buy the Star Trek Compendium when it comes out on September 9. It's a 4 disc bundle of the 2 movies:

disc 1: ST 2009
disc2 : extras, basically these two discs are the same that are on the 3 disc version that appeared in 2009 minus the dvd/game
disc 3: STID, IMAX version and the extended commentary that is only on itunes
disc 4: all the extras that were spread out on the different retail versions plus deleted scenes, gag reel

No 3d version though.

I can't believe I'm gonna cave and spend $34 just for the IMAX version when I saw the movie 5 times and have everything else on the list. Luckily I only bought the Target version, it had most of the extras, the rest of them were free on CinemaNow, while the enhanced commentary I got it with the iTunes digital copy
post #569 of 569 Old 08-07-2014, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by adun79 View Post

No 3d version though.
No 3D, no sale.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags