Star Trek Into Darkness 3D (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 569 Old 09-01-2013, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Thanks for the great in depth review Ralph! I did not see this in theaters so I'm really excited to see this scores a perfect 100 in both 2D video and audio. I'll give a slight warning also: to my neighbors September 10th at approx 9 pm it won't be a spaceship in the sky it's just me cranking up the TrueHD biggrin.gif
You could always issue the traditional warning. Play the THX logo tag at 8:59pm there is a good one on Terminator 2 if you don't have one already. wink.gif
comfynumb likes this.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 569 Old 09-01-2013, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 45
a def. blind-buy for me, although I do not think ST: ID is going to outdo the first reboot......

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #63 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Been cutting back on my Blu purchases but this is one I want on release day--great review--looking forward to watching this one. smile.gif

Bob

post #64 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Hate to discuss other review sites, but High-Def Digest was very disappointed in the look and sound of this Blu-ray. Strange they are the anomaly here.

They also use the word "shrill" to talk about the audio. That's not good news. If it's equivalent to what I heard in theaters, I'm not getting this.
post #65 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #66 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I am a Star Trek fan. From the TOS in syndication when I was a little boy to the TNG and all of the other incarnations. When I saw Star Trek (2009) for the first time I was disappointed. I felt that it had deviated too much from canon and the original spirit of what Trek represented. It took a second viewing to appreciate how good of a movie it was. Seeing things I missed, watching with a less cynical outlook, and letting go of preconceived notions helped change my perspective.

This alternative re-telling of Kahn was outstanding.
Djoel likes this.

I like Ice Cream!
post #67 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Hate to discuss other review sites, but High-Def Digest was very disappointed in the look and sound of this Blu-ray. Strange they are the anomaly here.

They also use the word "shrill" to talk about the audio. That's not good news. If it's equivalent to what I heard in theaters, I'm not getting this.

Greetings,

I saw Josh's review and obviously, based upon my review, don't concur with his opinion in this case. My advice would be, if you're interested/curious, rent it and judge for yourself.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #68 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageMcRamage View Post

Seeing things I missed, watching with a less cynical outlook, and letting go of preconceived notions helped change my perspective.

Strongly agree with your statement. This is an area where I have been too critical and not open minded enough when it comes to a new generation of movies. I expect they are going to be too much like the series or the original movie and never gave some a chance.
Djoel likes this.
post #69 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinmcfluffin View Post

Normally I agree with Josh, but in this case I disagree with him. This movie has reference quality audio and video.smile.gif

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #70 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

I saw Josh's review and obviously, based upon my review, don't concur with his opinion in this case. My advice would be, if you're interested/curious, rent it and judge for yourself.

Regards,

I'm with Ralph on this one.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

post #71 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Definately will buy. I saw it twice the weekend it came out. I am a bit of a trek fan seeing as how I have watched the last Star Trek more times than I can remember. I am hoping I can tame the audio at home, it did seem way too hot in the theater.
post #72 of 569 Old 09-02-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Greetings,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post

Normally I agree with Josh, but in this case I disagree with him. This movie has reference quality audio and video.smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I'm with Ralph on this one.

Thanks, this helps give me peace of mind.
post #73 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 03:10 AM

Liked: 10
Love the movie, saw it in theaters in IMAX at a real IMAX theater (Whitaker Center in Harrisburg, PA). I will definitely get this on Blu-ray if the price is right BUT the main issue will be is which exclusive do I get. Every retailer, including foreign retailers have their own exclusives.

My main concern is that beautiful IMAX footage. It is available through iTunes in the US as a part of the enhanced commentary that is offered. The issue with this is that the commentary functions more like picture in a picture style commentary with the commentators pausing and rewinding the movie to highlight different scenes. This is a bad if you just want to watch the movie and it isn't even worse because you get neither the reference video or the reference audio.

Rumor has it that the German 3D release includes the IMAX footage. If this rumor is true I expect Ralph to get a copy and promptly update his review. I mean sure I can't imagine the audio score would change as nothing with the audio would be different but the video would obviously have the IMAX scenes and possibly a high bitrate transfer as a result. This rumored version might force him to give the 2D version a beyond 100 score, smile.gif. That and maybe even give the 3D an extra point or two. Again, if this rumor is true, the price is right and the blu-ray is region free I might ultimately opt for this German release then.

post #74 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Although I enjoyed the film, I'll be skipping this release until Paramount pulls their heads out of their collective a*%#s and figures out that they should worry more about their customers than pleasing the executives at their various retail partners with exclusive this and thats, while screwing over the people who would actually watch/purchase this item.

Get your s&^t together Paramount, for until you do, you've lost at least one avid consumer.
KingLeerUK likes this.
post #75 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 05:33 PM

Liked: 10
How does AVS actually review the audio? Do you just listen, or examine the audio waveforms in software? I would like to know if there is any cllipping or audio running hot, etc. I hope Blu-ray doesn't turn into another CD Loudness war with audio cranked up to the max on the disc.
post #76 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 07:00 PM

Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicious1 View Post

Although I enjoyed the film, I'll be skipping this release until Paramount pulls their heads out of their collective a*%#s and figures out that they should worry more about their customers than pleasing the executives at their various retail partners with exclusive this and thats, while screwing over the people who would actually watch/purchase this item.

Get your s&^t together Paramount, for until you do, you've lost at least one avid consumer.

Agreed. I don't mind when studios do a single Deluxe Edition and bundles all of the extras and special features for a premium price, but that premium price cannot be over $100 as would be required in this case.

Warner, love 'em or hate 'em, do have their stuff together with this concept: Blade Runner, Inception, LotR Series.

post #77 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Strongly agree with your statement. This is an area where I have been too critical and not open minded enough when it comes to a new generation of movies. I expect they are going to be too much like the series or the original movie and never gave some a chance.

I am in the same boat as well. Once I accepted it is a totally alternate universe, I just liked the movie for what it was. The new movies are not meant to be a re-telling of the previous story, but a new alternate storyline all together.

I'm not into all the extras. Just give me the 3D Blu ray, maybe the movie trailers, and call it good. I look back and wish I would have just done that with the 2009 movie. The Target exclusive didn't even come with a normal case! it looks awkward on the shelf along with the lonely plastic enterprise model I have to keep the discs in frown.gif Boo.
comfynumb likes this.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences."Robert Green Ingersoll

Noman74656's Martycube Builds
My Theater
post #78 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 09:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:

Greetings,

Regards,

Lol so if we are suppose to judge for ourselves whats the point of your reviews?Obviously I'm kidding but I'm sure the discrepancy has to do with setup variations. All reviews of this nature is subjective to a point. It sounded great in my local theater that has great sound and can show off a good soundtrack.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #79 of 569 Old 09-03-2013, 09:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post

How does AVS actually review the audio? Do you just listen, or examine the audio waveforms in software? I would like to know if there is any cllipping or audio running hot, etc. I hope Blu-ray doesn't turn into another CD Loudness war with audio cranked up to the max on the disc.

I too would like to know this. Is it just watch it on your setup than score it or do you take measurements?

Edit: I remember you were on HT Geeks talking about the review process. I'll revisit that. Thank you Ralph.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #80 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 12:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Lol so if we are suppose to judge for ourselves whats the point of your reviews?Obviously I'm kidding but I'm sure the discrepancy has to do with setup variations. All reviews of this nature is subjective to a point. It sounded great in my local theater that has great sound and can show off a good soundtrack.
Josh has been dissing this movie since pretty much day one in several threads at this and other forums... wink.gif
I loved this movie at the theater and pre-ordered as soon as I was able, can't wait to watch the 3D version at 110" at home...
post #81 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noman74656 View Post

I am in the same boat as well. Once I accepted it is a totally alternate universe, I just liked the movie for what it was. The new movies are not meant to be a re-telling of the previous story, but a new alternate storyline all together.

I'm not into all the extras. Just give me the 3D Blu ray, maybe the movie trailers, and call it good. I look back and wish I would have just done that with the 2009 movie. The Target exclusive didn't even come with a normal case! it looks awkward on the shelf along with the lonely plastic enterprise model I have to keep the discs in frown.gif Boo.

I didn't buy a 3D panel with my last upgrade a few years ago, right now I'm regretting it. But I am seriously considering a bigger panel within the next few months that has 3D. My plan was to wait for the glasses less technology but the deals on some of the plasma panels now (mainly the Panny ST60) have me rethinking this. Lol at your lonely Enterprise model biggrin.gif
post #82 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddig View Post

Greetings,

My response was based upon his query after reading my review and that of another writer which prompted his concerns. If a member has read my review and still has concerns beyond what I have reported all I can do is recommend that they rent and try for themselves. I know you were kidding Reddig as you have been around here long enough to know the difference however I wanted to reply for those reading that saw my response and didn't understand my point. wink.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #83 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron_H View Post

Greetings,

My evaluation of the audio is based upon listening. It is done this way because it is closest to how viewers will be experiencing it in their own particular environments. Examining the soundtracks on discs using software/testing equipment in most respects wouldn't yield useful data for most end users. You mention clipping, this isn't something that would be applicable to the encoded data on a disc per se but is more so related to the hardware used for playback. Some tracks have wider dynamic range than others but this is rarely attributable to the Blu-ray encoding and is usually a result of the recording/mastering. I have rarely found it to be problematic from a deleterious perspective but see it more so as a creative choice by the filmmakers/studio.

I am not familiar with any DVD/Blu-ray reviewers that use a system of the sort you mention but you can of course do an online search.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #84 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just to get you guys excited for this release... here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6B22Uy7SBe4&feature=player_embedded

The honest trailer that is...
post #85 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 288
While I have yet to see the Blu-ray, I can say that this film was way too loud at the IMax theater where I saw it in 3D. (I only chose the 3D screening because that showing was the only time I could see the film. I can do without cardboard cutouts passing in front of each other, which is what passes for 3D these days.) As I recall, all it was was loud, everything was loud. The sound was like being sledgehammered to death. I think that may be Josh's point. I will take a listen at home and of course, form my own opinion. Maybe it was just the theater?

Louder is NOT better!
post #86 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

While I have yet to see the Blu-ray, I can say that this film was way too loud at the IMax theater where I saw it in 3D. (I only chose the 3D screening because that showing was the only time I could see the film. I can do without cardboard cutouts passing in front of each other, which is what passes for 3D these days.) As I recall, all it was was loud, everything was loud. The sound was like being sledgehammered to death. I think that may be Josh's point. I will take a listen at home and of course, form my own opinion. Maybe it was just the theater?

Greetings,

Joe, I saw it in the theater as well (not 3D) and recall feeling that it was on the loud side but not as bothersome as some have described. I didn't have that experience viewing it in my room though.

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
post #87 of 569 Old 09-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
while the first star trek reboot film was great on features, this one is very light, since many casual fans hated Into Darkness. Despite that, the film has done extremely well outside the us and canada, making this the highest grossing Star Trek picture (unadjusted for inflation). The 3d was great in imax and the surround sound was awesome. Since it's a Paramount bluray, expect streaming trailers before the movie, which has become the norm since 2011 or so. I wonder if they updated the old Paramount HD logo since the mountain is outdated....
post #88 of 569 Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Greetings,

My response was based upon his query after reading my review and that of another writer which prompted his concerns. If a member has read my review and still has concerns beyond what I have reported all I can do is recommend that they rent and try for themselves. I know you were kidding Reddig as you have been around here long enough to know the difference however I wanted to reply for those reading that saw my response and didn't understand my point. wink.gif

Regards,

Right on Ralph thanks for the response and I totally hear yeah.

JBL Pro Cinema
post #89 of 569 Old 09-05-2013, 01:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfergie View Post

Josh has been dissing this movie since pretty much day one in several threads at this and other forums... wink.gif
I loved this movie at the theater and pre-ordered as soon as I was able, can't wait to watch the 3D version at 110" at home...

Reply to dfergie:

All be darn. Hell yeah I seen it in theaters too and loved it and can't wait to buy it!

JBL Pro Cinema
post #90 of 569 Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
What about the IMAX footage? Does it go full screen like in the Batman films? IS there any version that does? I want that footage.
Taranteacher likes this.

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Star Trek Into Darkness Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page