Pacific Rim coming to Blu-ray & 3D Blu-ray Combo Pack in October! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 408
Comon, monsters + robots + wicked LFE = biggrin.gif
MPMorph and audiofan1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 04:46 AM

Liked: 22
I usually don't buy movies on release day, but will be picking up the 3D version of this! Most enjoyable movie I saw all summer and wish it had done better at the box office. This was a sit back and relax and just enjoy the movie experience. Iron Man 3, Star Trek were good but this was was why you go to see a movie on the big screen, especially if you got to see it in IMAX.
Taranteacher likes this.
post #33 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I liked this movie. I'm buying it on day 1.

Kaboom.
post #34 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 82
ANOTHER NO-BRAINER 3D PURCHASE IN MY BOOK!!! cool.gif

+1 on 16:9 AR (the sheer robot/monster/jaeger station/city-vistas/seashore-landscapes/you-name-it scale calls for it eek.gif)

Big fan of Guillero Del Toro. Trust me, he was more than prep'd to take on a large-scale, big-budget production. wink.gif

MAAAN, the 3D in this one will set the new bar! +1 on having witnessed it IMAX 3D--simply jaw-dropping!!! cool.gif (the end credits show James Cameron's name at the top of a list of several directors who I supposed contributed one way or another, even) You just can't go wrong with the Blu-ray 3D combo!

Yes: just sit back and enjoy being a Godzilla-and-other-monster-movie-fan kid again... This movie will ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!!! cool.gif

Comparing: BETTER than Transformers and WAYYY BETTER than Battleship, at least IMO, and I actually like those (the "Former" better than the latter, of course, but since it came up on this thread... tongue.gif)

Looking forward to good stuff on Ralph's official review... wink.gif

Frank, +1 on blind-buying this one (I trust--hope?--it will not dissapoint) wink.gif
post #35 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Its a movie about big robots fighting big sea monsters... ...anyone looking for Scorsese-like plot development (or obedience to the laws of physics) needs to check their expectations at the door.

I'm eagerly waiting for it to ship from Netflix. No need to own it as once I see it, I'll be ready to move on to the next "new" mindless action flick.

-Suntan
MPMorph likes this.
post #36 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

ANOTHER NO-BRAINER 3D PURCHASE IN MY BOOK!!! cool.gif

+1 on 16:9 AR (the sheer robot/monster/jaeger station/city-vistas/seashore-landscapes/you-name-it scale calls for it eek.gif)

Big fan of Guillero Del Toro. Trust me, he was more than prep'd to take on a large-scale, big-budget production. wink.gif

MAAAN, the 3D in this one will set the new bar! +1 on having witnessed it IMAX 3D--simply jaw-dropping!!! cool.gif (the end credits show James Cameron's name at the top of a list of several directors who I supposed contributed one way or another, even) You just can't go wrong with the Blu-ray 3D combo!

Yes: just sit back and enjoy being a Godzilla-and-other-monster-movie-fan kid again... This movie will ROCK YOUR SOCKS OFF!!! cool.gif

Comparing: BETTER than Transformers and WAYYY BETTER than Battleship, at least IMO, and I actually like those (the "Former" better than the latter, of course, but since it came up on this thread... tongue.gif)

Looking forward to good stuff on Ralph's official review... wink.gif

Frank, +1 on blind-buying this one (I trust--hope?--it will not dissapoint) wink.gif

I'm confused on the 16:9 though. Transformers are tall and also had tall buildings. Why couldn't this movie be 2.35? I'd hate to crunch it down to 16:9 but I guess I could not sell my 100" 16:9 for this one movie haha.
post #37 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Must resist buying the limited edition, but it would look great in my mancave...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0N7JUG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #38 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

I'm confused on the 16:9 though. Transformers are tall and also had tall buildings. Why couldn't this movie be 2.35? I'd hate to crunch it down to 16:9 but I guess I could not sell my 100" 16:9 for this one movie haha.

Ugh. It's 16:9? That's too bad. Now I have to deal with those stupid black bars.... mad.gif

-Suntan
post #39 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 12:34 PM

Liked: 30
Definitely a buy for me. I saw in an RPX theater and sonically it was impressive.
post #40 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 208
I think I will cancel my 2D BD pre-order and pre-order the 3D one.

October HorrorFest Participant
post #41 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:

Honestly, I think Transformers (1, 2, or even 3) pale against this one. The reason, as Del Toro put it, is he chose to "shoot" from a POV of a person either at ground level, or from a helicopter swooping by, or a ship at sea. It all feels massively real...like you are actually witnessing it for yourself. This gives the added vertical footage considerable weight. eek.gif Do yourselves a favor and see it for yourselves, if possible 3D. You won't mind those lateral bars, I suspect! cool.gif
post #42 of 52 Old 09-09-2013, 06:28 PM

Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taranteacher View Post

Honestly, I think Transformers (1, 2, or even 3) pale against this one. The reason, as Del Toro put it, is he chose to "shoot" from a POV of a person either at ground level, or from a helicopter swooping by, or a ship at sea. It all feels massively real...like you are actually witnessing it for yourself. This gives the added vertical footage considerable weight. eek.gif Do yourselves a favor and see it for yourselves, if possible 3D. You won't mind those lateral bars, I suspect! cool.gif

There is absolutely no comparison between the sense of scale between Transformers, which are really not large at all, to a Jaeger, which is 300 feet tall. I watched it in 3D IMAX and 2D and the 3D IMAX experience was superior. Shooting it in a different aspect ratio would've detracted from it. IMO, the worst shots in the movie were the wide shots where the Jaegers didn't have anything on screen to accentuate the size and mass of them. I really don't think there's any way this blu-ray won't be reference level. It was some of the best CGI I've ever seen and a great effort from ILM. GDT put a lot of love into this film and I would assume he'd make sure the transfer and audio are top notch.
post #43 of 52 Old 09-10-2013, 12:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

I usually don't buy movies on release day, but will be picking up the 3D version of this! Most enjoyable movie I saw all summer and wish it had done better at the box office. This was a sit back and relax and just enjoy the movie experience. Iron Man 3, Star Trek were good but this was was why you go to see a movie on the big screen, especially if you got to see it in IMAX.
It's actually doing quite well overseas, especially in China. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #44 of 52 Old 09-10-2013, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Gene View Post

Must resist buying the limited edition, but it would look great in my mancave...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F0N7JUG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Resistance is futile biggrin.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #45 of 52 Old 09-10-2013, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think IMAX has something to do with it. Since IMAX screens tend to be squarer and taller it will sometimes nudge directors away from a really wide presentation. But, that's just one theory.

post #46 of 52 Old 09-10-2013, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

I think IMAX has something to do with it. Since IMAX screens tend to be squarer and taller it will sometimes nudge directors away from a really wide presentation. But, that's just one theory.

That makes sense because I don't see how a scope screen will detract from the size of characters when the hight never changes. That's why they call it CIH (constant hight). If that was true the directors would have made it in 4:3 and be even taller.
post #47 of 52 Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Liked: 12
Looking forward to seeing this again - I saw most of the blockbusters this year (IM3, ST:ID, Man of Steel, etc...). While I enjoyed them all to a degree - Pac Rim was the only one that I left feeling like I had a a great time. I saw a lot of people fist-pumping during the battle scenes (particularly any scenes involving rocket elbows, swords, etc...). When I saw ST:ID people were almost yawning while wondering why they didn't use the interstallar transporter, or why this or that. If you really look at it, that film was a masterpiece of sound and video. Maybe we're all too jaded and we can't enjoy movies anymore because we nitpick them too much.

Just don't overthink the story - you're watching a movie that is about giant robots duking it out with giant lizards. At least it's honest about what it's giving you. In many ways it captures the spirit of classic monster-invading-cities (kaiju) movies. I just hope it translates well to our smaller TVs.

Don't get this movie if you are looking for oscar-worthy acting (although young Mako steals the show IMHO). Don't get this movie if you like picking holes in plots.
post #48 of 52 Old 09-10-2013, 02:08 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm only going to buy it after reading some reviews...if it has reference video/audio I'll probably take a chance...but too many people have said that the movie itself was overhyped and disappointing...plus don't most of the major battles take place at night?...at least with Transformers they weren't trying to hide any bad CGI under cover of darkness...all the fights took place during the daytime which added to the impressive visuals
The darkness worked really well and nothing felt hidden to me. I didn't really think about it being CGI while I was watching it, and that's a good thing. I suspect that this might be a great movie for testing how well your display handles shadows and black levels. The combination of rain / lights (even the monsters glow) / fast action makes this movie a great candidate to be a benchmark for display reviews.
post #49 of 52 Old 09-11-2013, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Comon, monsters + robots + wicked LFE = biggrin.gif
Monsters and Robots and BASS oh my biggrin.gif Just keep repeating it. WOZ style over and over biggrin.gif

post #50 of 52 Old 09-11-2013, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtus View Post

Looking forward to seeing this again - I saw most of the blockbusters this year (IM3, ST:ID, Man of Steel, etc...). While I enjoyed them all to a degree - Pac Rim was the only one that I left feeling like I had a a great time. I saw a lot of people fist-pumping during the battle scenes (particularly any scenes involving rocket elbows, swords, etc...). When I saw ST:ID people were almost yawning while wondering why they didn't use the interstallar transporter, or why this or that. If you really look at it, that film was a masterpiece of sound and video. Maybe we're all too jaded and we can't enjoy movies anymore because we nitpick them too much.

Just don't overthink the story - you're watching a movie that is about giant robots duking it out with giant lizards. At least it's honest about what it's giving you. In many ways it captures the spirit of classic monster-invading-cities (kaiju) movies. I just hope it translates well to our smaller TVs.

Don't get this movie if you are looking for oscar-worthy acting (although young Mako steals the show IMHO). Don't get this movie if you like picking holes in plots.

+1, This movie keeps you hooked and anticipating what's coming next the entire film.
post #51 of 52 Old 10-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Release date is coming up, so I just pre-ordered my copy!

I was thinking about getting the 2D version but some of the posts here convinced me to go for the 3D package. Really looking forward to watching this one because I didn't see it in the theaters... cool.gif

oz
post #52 of 52 Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 AM
CIH USER

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozar View Post

Release date is coming up, so I just pre-ordered my copy!

I was thinking about getting the 2D version but some of the posts here convinced me to go for the 3D package. Really looking forward to watching this one because I didn't see it in the theaters... cool.gif

Same I'm looking forward in seeing this also ( never saw it in theatre ) but in 2D
audiofan1 likes this.

Frank

Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page