post #1 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 595
GO BIG OR GO EXTINCT WHEN WARNER BROS. PICTURES’ AND LEGENDARY PICTURES’

Pacific Rim

ARRIVES ONTO BLU-RAY 3D COMBO PACK, BLU-RAY COMBO PACK, 2-DISC DVD SPECIAL EDITION and DIGITAL HD ON OCTOBER 15th FROM

WARNER BROS. HOME ENTERTAINMENT

Blu-ray Combo Packs and 2-disc DVD Special Edition include hours of new bonus features!

All disc versions feature UltraViolet*

Burbank, CA, September 5, 2013 – Monsters and robots go head to head when the action-packed spectacle “Pacific Rim” from Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures arrives onto Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack, DVD and Digital HD on October 15 from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. Directed by Oscar® nominee (Best Writing, Original Screenplay, “Pan’s Labyrinth,” 2006) Guillermo del Toro, “Pacific Rim” follows a team of unlikely fighters who unite for a final attempt to save humanity from terrifying monsters that emerged from the sea.

From Warner Bros. Pictures and Legendary Pictures, “Pacific Rim” is directed by Guillermo del Toro (“Pan’s Labyrinth”) from a screenplay by Travis Beacham and del Toro. The film stars Charlie Hunnam (TV’s “Sons of Anarchy), Idris Elba (“Thor”), Rinko Kikuchi (“Babel”) and Charlie Day (“Horrible Bosses”), along with Rob Kazinsky, Max Martini, Clifton Collins Jr., Burn Gorman and Rob Perlman.

“Pacific Rim” will be available on Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack for $44.95, on Blu-ray Combo Pack for $35.99 and on 2-disc DVD Special Edition for $28.98. The Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in 3D hi-definition, hi-definition and standard definition; the Blu-ray Combo Pack features the theatrical version of the film in hi-definition on Blu-ray; and the DVD features the theatrical version in standard definition. The Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack, Blu-ray Combo Pack and the 2-disc DVD Special Edition include UltraViolet* which allows consumers to download and instantly stream the theatrical version of the film to a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players.

SYNOPSIS

In “Pacific Rim,” legions of monstrous creatures, known as Kaiju, have started rising from the sea, beginning a war that takes millions of lives and consumes humanity’s resources for years on end. To combat the giant Kaiju, a special type of weapon was devised: massive robots, called Jaegers, which are controlled simultaneously by two pilots whose minds are locked in a neural bridge. But even the Jaegers are proving nearly defenseless in the face of the relentless Kaiju. On the verge of defeat, the forces defending mankind have no choice but to turn to two unlikely heroes – a washed up former pilot (Charlie Hunnam) and an untested trainee (Rinko Kikuchi) – who are teamed to drive a legendary but seemingly obsolete Jaeger from the past. Together, they stand as mankind’s last hope against the mounting apocalypse.

BLU-RAY AND DVD ELEMENTS

“Pacific Rim” Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack and Blu-ray Combo Pack contain the following special features:

· Audio Commentary by Guillermo del Toro

· The Directors Notebook

· Drift Space

· The Digital Artistry of Pacific Rim

· The Shatterdome

· Focus Points

· Deleted Scenes

· Blooper Reel

“Pacific Rim” 2-Disc Standard Definition DVD Special Edition contains the following special features”

· Audio Commentary by Guillermo del Toro

· Drift Space

· The Digital Artistry of Pacific Rim

· The Shatterdome

· Focus Points

· Deleted Scenes

· Blooper Reel

DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION ELEMENTS

On October 15, “Pacific Rim” will be available for download in HD or standard definition from online retailers including but not limited to iTunes, Xbox, PlayStation, Amazon, Vudu, CinemaNow and more...

The film will also be available digitally in High Definition (HD) VOD and Standard Definition (SD) VOD from cable and satellite providers, and on select gaming consoles and broadband customers including Amazon, iTunes, etc.

ULTRAVIOLET

*UltraViolet allows you to collect, watch and share movies and TV shows in a whole new way. Available with the purchase of specially marked Blu-ray discs, DVDs and Digital Downloads, UltraViolet lets you create a digital collection of movies and TV shows. Services such as Flixster and VUDU allow you to instantly stream and download UltraViolet content across a wide range of devices including computers and compatible tablets, smartphones, game consoles, Internet-connected TVs and Blu-ray players. Restrictions and limitations apply. Go to ultraviolet.flixster.com/info for details. For more information on compatible devices go to wb.com/ultravioletdevices.

Here is the trailer:

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Day one.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
post #3 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Day 2
post #4 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Day 0 biggrin.gif
post #5 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Saw this baby at the theater in 2D. Wish I could get my 2 hours back.
nickbuol likes this.
post #6 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 409
Day uno! Ralph you have been a busy guy lately, thanks for the heads up and I will be looking forward to your review on this movie smile.gif
post #7 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm only going to buy it after reading some reviews...if it has reference video/audio I'll probably take a chance...but too many people have said that the movie itself was overhyped and disappointing...plus don't most of the major battles take place at night?...at least with Transformers they weren't trying to hide any bad CGI under cover of darkness...all the fights took place during the daytime which added to the impressive visuals
post #8 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Day one for me. The story wasnt the strongest but the visuals and overall fun of the movie kept me engaged and entertained. Fun movie and will no doubt look awesome on BD. Even the HD iTunes trailer is eye candy.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #9 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I saw this in the theater for free (invited by someone else who was paying) and it LOOKED good, but it otherwise felt so light on story complexity, so many physics issues, so much predictability... I just felt so.... 80's. It looked 2013 for image and had good sound in the theater, but story, plot ect make this a "no buy" for me.

Some clips might make for some good demo disc material though.
post #10 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 14
Had high hopes for this movie, I must have eluded the target audience.
post #11 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 42
looks like fun. If it is anything like Battleship I will buy it. (I've got an infinite baffle subwoofer array smile.gif )
post #12 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

looks like fun. If it is anything like Battleship I will buy it.

oh...so you're one of the 20 people that liked Battleship biggrin.gif
vilfrard likes this.
post #13 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 05:10 PM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Looks like HUGE audio/sub potential.......hope it delivers. cool.gif

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #14 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 05:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Man i went to the movies the first day this was out with huge high hopes (even bought the movie poster two weeks prior in an online auction). What a HUGE dissapointment. So bummed. Will be skipping this one unfortunately.
vilfrard likes this.
post #15 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 07:16 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Never saw it in the movies will definitely blind buy this one.

Frank
post #16 of 52 Old 09-07-2013, 09:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Saw it at one of the LA area ArcLights in 3D. Took my 16-year-old grandson, his mom (my daughter), her friend, and my GF, plus bought junk food, so it was a costly viewing.

These days I avoid getting caught in the hype machine before seeing a film, and I try to keep my expectations to a minimum so I can react to the film that the director and actors actually present rather than what I want or expect them to present.

Loved it, warts and all.

Already pre-ordered in 3D combo pack. I know four 18" subs that will feel the call of duty.
Taranteacher likes this.

What I can afford, when I can afford it...
post #17 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Never make buying decisions off user or professional reviews due to subjectivity of the matter.

My favorite horror movie happens to be the worst rated movie of the year (Silent Hill2) and I felt I wasted my life on epic movies like Avatar and Lord of the Rings. Still trying to get my two hours back by working out and eating right but still can't get that stupid troll out of my head "precious, precious" ugh.
post #18 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 02:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by snyderkv View Post

Never make buying decisions off user or professional reviews due to subjectivity of the matter.

My favorite horror movie happens to be the worst rated movie of the year (Silent Hill2) and I felt I wasted my life on epic movies like Avatar and Lord of the Rings. Still trying to get my two hours back by working out and eating right but still can't get that stupid troll out of my head "precious, precious" ugh.

That's a pretty funny post smile.gif And I must admit while the Silent hill 2 wasn't as good as the first I still liked it as well. as for the others listed I'm a huge fan. But as for "Pacific rim" huge robots + home theater = blind buy biggrin.gif ( disclaimer! even though I saw it at the theater )
comfynumb likes this.
post #19 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 03:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: North of Mexico, South of Oregon, Not as far east as Vegas
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm only going to buy it after reading some reviews...if it has reference video/audio I'll probably take a chance...but too many people have said that the movie itself was overhyped and disappointing...plus don't most of the major battles take place at night?...at least with Transformers they weren't trying to hide any bad CGI under cover of darkness...all the fights took place during the daytime which added to the impressive visuals
There were a lot of people that missed the layers in the movie. Del Toro has a little different approach.

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #20 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 03:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by filecat13 View Post

Saw it at one of the LA area ArcLights in 3D. Took my 16-year-old grandson, his mom (my daughter), her friend, and my GF, plus bought junk food, so it was a costly viewing.

These days I avoid getting caught in the hype machine before seeing a film, and I try to keep my expectations to a minimum so I can react to the film that the director and actors actually present rather than what I want or expect them to present.

Loved it, warts and all.

Already pre-ordered in 3D combo pack. I know four 18" subs that will feel the call of duty.
Saw it at Arclight with the Dolby Atmos. Once I got my hearing back from the Atmos experience biggrin.gif and reflected on the visuals and story...Hell yes I,m getting this on blu ray. smile.gif

"Bring out yer dead!".."Wait I'm not dead yet!"..(Sound Austrian here) "WRONG !!" (You know what happens next..)
post #21 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 03:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

oh...so you're one of the 20 people that liked Battleship biggrin.gif
Make that 21....cool.gif

post #22 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 03:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you see Silent Hill 2 in 3D? Different than the first Silent Hill but well worth seeing.

post #23 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 03:25 AM

Day 1 for me, I saw it twice in theaters.
GoCaboNow likes this.
post #24 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

Did you see Silent Hill 2 in 3D? Different than the first Silent Hill but well worth seeing.

Yes I have the Blu-Ray in 3D.

An Epson 6020 and 110" Scope screen is being shipped so looking forward to watching it again.

I didn't realize how many movies are actually done in scope. Pacific Rim however is 16:9 unfortunately so it will appear as 88" on my screen. I wonder if that was due to the size of the characters? Transformers was scope so not sure
post #25 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I will buy this one for sure. I'm a diehard monster movie fan going back to the Godzilla days. This fits right in with the genre. I know, the story wasn't the greatest ever, but that's not why I like monster movies: It's all about the fight scenes, and Pacific Rim had some great ones.
post #26 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERBoston View Post

I will buy this one for sure. I'm a diehard monster movie fan going back to the Godzilla days. This fits right in with the genre. I know, the story wasn't the greatest ever, but that's not why I like monster movies: It's all about the fight scenes, and Pacific Rim had some great ones.

Then you probably remember that old 80s movie then with the mech warriors? People would control them from inside the mechs using hand and foot movements. I wonder if this new movie was inspired by it.
post #27 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Then you probably remember that old 80s movie then with the mech warriors? People would control them from inside the mechs using hand and foot movements. I wonder if this new movie was inspired by it.

Absolutely! It also evokes memories of the anime cartoons with the pilots controlling different parts of the robot - good stuff!
post #28 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenthplanet View Post

There were a lot of people that missed the layers in the movie. Del Toro has a little different approach.

I'm a fan of Del Toro's work- Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth in particular...but that doesn't mean that he's flawless...I haven't seen the movie but I think the issue with Pacific Rim is that this is Del Toro's first big budget flick and I don't think he was prepared for it...normally all his movies are lower budget ones which do good via word of mouth...Pacific Rim might be a case of too much excess and expectations
post #29 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
You haven't seen the film but you're going to comment on it anyway... wink.gif
post #30 of 52 Old 09-08-2013, 11:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpippel View Post

You haven't seen the film but you're going to comment on it anyway... wink.gif

yes...I could have left out the part that I didn't see the movie yet but I left it in there...if I left it out would the statement have more value?...the statement stands on its own
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Pacific Rim Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Ultraviolet Combo Pack

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page