Feature running time: 1007 minutes
Genre: TV/Fantasy/Crime drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: VC-1
Video Aspect: 1.78:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH
Starring: David Giuntoli, Russell Hornsby, Silas Weir Mitchell, Bitsie Tulloch, Reggie Lee, Sasha Roiz
Directed by: Various
Music by: Richard Marvin
Written by: Stephen Carpenter, David Greenwalt, Jim Kouf
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 17, 2013

"Story time is over..."

Film Synopsis:

Grimm is back, and delves even deeper into the unseen evils around us in all 22 “addictively entertaining” (Kristi Turnquist, The Oregonian) Season Two episodes. Now fully embracing his identity as a Grimm, Portland homicide detective Nick Burkhardt tackles even more gruesome and bizarre crimes linked to creatures of lore. With the help of his partner Hank and Wesen confidants Monroe and Rosalee, Nick must face an ancient royal bloodline linked to the mysterious Captain Renard, all while fighting to keep from losing the love of his life forever.

My Take:

For those not familiar with Grimm here is a little background: Inspired by the classic Grimm fairytales the series revolves around Nick Burkhardt, a Portland police detective whose world is turned upside down when he suddenly begins to notice that what appear to be average citizens are in reality disguised mythical creatures living among us. While still trying to process what he is seeing Nick’s Aunt Marie (who raised him after his parent’s death), shows up unexpectedly and is summarily attacked in front of Nick by a creature known as a reaper. She wins the battle but is wounded and winds up in the hospital where Nick finds out that she is dying of cancer.

It’s then that Aunt Marie reveals that she is a Grimm and that Nick is descended from a long line of Grimm’s who are charged with keeping the balance between humanity and the plethora of “unseen” creatures that roam the earth. She explained that they are not all evil however it is there job to kill the bad ones and that she is being hunted as a result. Aunt Marie subsequently dies but leaves Nick several “necessary” items one of which is her trailer containing her stock of weapons and volumes of books detailing the past as well as valuable information on the creatures that are out there.

The show is an episodic crime/cop drama with a fantastical twist that involves the cases being associated with missing persons, deaths, ancient feuds and just plain old criminal activity involving creatures taken/derived from fairytales. There is a continuing storyline/subplot involving someone close to Nick that has a dark secret but essentially each episode involves Nick and his partner Hank trying to solve a different crime/problem which is aided by Nick’s abilities as a Grimm.

Season Two picks with where season one left off with Juliette’s coma/hospitalization after being scratched by the bewitched cat. Her awakening could only be achieved through magical means and we see who (a familiar face) but don’t initially understand why this character takes the risk to awaken her with a kiss. Unfortunately for Nick she awakens with no memory of him or their life together (the rest of her memory remains intact) and a rather peculiar side effect. As Nick struggles to cope with that he and Hank, who Nick finally lets in on his secret, along with Monroe and Rosalee’s help continue to battle the variety of evil doing Wesen that roam into town. This includes a Wesen epidemic, a violent vigilante Grimm mimic, the enamoring kiss of a muse, and a feral “bouckman” whose victims appear dead only to awaken as violent zombies. Along with the Nick and Juliette saga there are season long subplots involving the mythical family tree of Wesen Royals that coincides with Adalind’s return/revenge.

The characters on the show are simply drawn and fit well into the series construct. I wasn’t sold on David Giuntoli as the show’s front man but he grew on me in Season two. I like the cast ensemble, especially Silas Weir Mitchell who plays Eddie Monroe, the reformed Blutbad that assists Nick from the underworld’s perspective. Developmentally the writing progression is good and It would be fair to say that I like Grimm. It’s different and I find the characters storyline to be good enough to hold my interest. The acting isn’t the best but there is little here that requires inspirational dramatic depth. The season successfully builds to an ending that paves the way for season three (which is set to air in late October). I will definitely be tuning in.

Grimm Season Two comes to Blu-ray with its 22 episodes spread over five BD-50’s, with the bulk of the bonus material found on disc five. The keep case is of the larger amaray type (with a corresponding slipcover) with the discs contained in the page style plastic inserts with the center push buttons. As a bonus there are two collectible character cards included in the package.

Parental Guide:

This show contains mature themes, violence, and frightening/disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 84

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Video: 86

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

Grimm Season Two comes to Blu-ray Disc from Universal Studios HE featuring 1080p VC-1 encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 3.6 Mbps.

This 1.78:1 framed video presentation offers appreciable high definition resolution that has a satisfying glossy aesthetic. Images are stable and sharp with plenty of discernible texture and revealing fine detail during close-ups. Many of the show’s sequences are shot in uneven and low lighting. Shadow delineation and depth is quite good. Blacks are deep while exhibiting appreciable dynamic range with stable yet slightly elevated contrast that never infringes upon fidelity. Colors are snappy and bright and sullen and muted where appropriate. Fleshtones appear descriptive with variable depth that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast.

The lossless DTS-HD Master Audio sound keeps pace with the video and is quite good. Dynamics are robust and highs are crisp without being strident or edgy. Dialogue is rendered with defining tonal expression and room penetrating depth through the center channel. The front soundstage is diffused with excellent separation and clearly articulated detail. The presentation makes ample use of the entire surround platform. At times it opens up quite nicely to create an involving surround mix containing a mix of directional and ambient sounds. Bass response doesn’t reach subterranean levels however it appropriately supports the source elements and provides an appreciably tight, and punchy low end.

Bonus Features:

• (HD) Deleted scenes

• (HD) Gag Reel – 5 minutes

• (HD) Grimm: Myths, Monsters, and Legends – 10 minute featurette

• (HD) Grimm: Creatures and chaos – 3 minute featurette

• (HD) Bad Hair Day Webisodes – 4 segments

• (HD) Monroe’s best moments – 2 minutes

• *Exclusive (HD) Extended Episode – “Over my dead body”

• * Exclusive (HD) Grimm Guide – An interactive book that provides insight in the various creatures featured on the show

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Grimm season two successfully builds upon the threads of season one and winds up being just as entertaining. I like the fact that it’s different and although there isn’t a deeply engrossing storyline, pulse pounding action or emphatic drama there is enough substance and likeable characters to keep fans coming back. Season Three kicks off on NBC in late October and I look forward to seeing what the story brings. I enjoyed its high definition audio/video presentation on Blu-ray and found the included supplemental package to be a complimentary one that fans will appreciate. If you’re already into Grimm this five disc offering from Universal Studios Home Entertainment is recommended. If not and you’re curious give it a rent or look for it On Demand in your area.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection