Studio and Year: Paramount - 2013
MPAA Rating: PG-13/Unrated
Feature running time: 115/122 minutes
Genre: Horror/Thriller

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC/MVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio, French/Spanish/Portuguese Dolby Digital 5.1
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, Spanish, Portuguese
Starring: Brad Pitt, Mireille Enos, James Badge Dale, Daniella Kertesz, Fana Mokoena, David Morse
Directed by: Marc Forster
Music by: Marco Beltrami
Written by: Matthew Michael Carnahan, Drew Goddard, Damon Lindelof based on the novel by Max Brooks
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 17, 2013

"There’s no where to run…."

Film Synopsis:

Former United Nations employee Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) is called upon to help stop the chaotic pandemic that has gripped populations around the world. Lane fights to keep his family safe, while searching for an answer to the outbreak before it destroys all of civilization.

My Take:

Based on the novel by Max Brooks World War Z wasn’t exactly what I was expecting. The trailer that I had seen didn’t reveal much in terms of the storyline and in watching the film that sort of remained the case meaning that there really isn’t much depth to the plot or characters. When we think of “zombie” films in general that might not really be a problem per se but in this case I found that while it is formulaic in some respects it branches out beyond the parameters of typical genre entries that feature the undead feeding on the living.

There is no real setup save for very brief introductions of main character Gerry (Pitt) and his family (wife and two young daughters) before it quickly escalates into the violent fervor brought on by an unexplained pandemic where hordes of those once among the living have been bitten by and turned into mindless zombies that seem to have one purpose, make more zombies. Spreading at an unimaginable rate it quickly consumes the world’s large cities leaving governments in shambles and only small pockets that consist of safe zones and organized efforts to mitigate the infection. Gerry and his family leave in the Philadelphia area and after the outbreak there we learn that he was once a United Nations Investigator and through those channels is able to get his family to safety. Unfortunately that comes at a price as he forced to leave his family being pressed back into service to lead a small mission to South Korea in an attempt to discover the origin of the outbreak and possibly a cure. Easier said than done…

From that point onward the story stays with Gerry as he follows the “breadcrumbs” in search of the source of the infection. Along the way he has brushes with the growing zombie populace and encounters those who like him seek to understand what has happened while risking their lives in furtherance finding a cure. World War Z is more of a thriller than a “horror/zombie” movie in my opinion. While the plot remains pretty simple the film employs intelligently crafted suspense as a tool to keep its edge. There are supporting elements of action that coincide with the suspense to create a congruent ebb/flow that occasionally impart a feeling of unevenness but the interplay works nonetheless.

Character development is pretty thin but there is a host of smaller roles that capably support the narrative. Brad Pitt’s lead is rock solid and anchors the film while unpinned by the remaining cast which consists of an eclectic mix of familiar actors. Any shortcomings associated with the script are forgivable as I found World War Z to be an engaging film experience that took the genre in an offbeat and entertaining direction that elevates it just slightly above your typical popcorn flick.

Parental Guide:

Both the rated and unrated versions contain intense frightening zombie sequences, violence and disturbing images.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 96

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

3D Presentation: 80

• Depth (Onscreen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Dimension (Beyond the screen): attachment.php?attachmentid=109943&d=1210373692

• Realism: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

World War Z 3D comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p MVC encoded video and lossless DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio sound that has an average bitrate of 4.8 Mbps.

This film wasn’t shot natively in 3D but was converted in post production. The film was largely shot against green screens and the reproduction of the digital effects and wide angle background elements translates positively here. Depth of field is appreciable as evidenced by separation of objects and/or people layered in the foreground/background which creates a visual sense of virtual space. High definition dimensionality and apparent resolution is rarely questionable in close ups and brightly lit exterior sequences but it varies some in limited lighting. Comparing white/black levels, color and skin tone reproduction to the 2D presentation I found them to be essentially identical. There is a noticeable lack of 3D effects that transcend the boundaries of the screen which makes for a somewhat less involving experience especially during the action based segments. I will say that I didn’t find that this detracted from my enjoyment of the overall presentation which like the 2D version looks solid on Blu-ray. I didn’t notice any distracting instances of crosstalk or other video related anomalies. The end result is a satisfying but unremarkable 3D video presentation.

Incorporating elements of horror and action a film like this relies heavily on its soundtrack to elicit the intended effect upon the audience and this 7.1 channel DTS-HD Master Audio surround mix does just that. This is an active sound design with extended dynamic range that positively renders the bombastic elements in the recording. The action based sequences transform the listening area into a three dimensional sound field that generates involving surround activity that mates perfectly with the events unfolding onscreen. Low frequency effects produce deep resonating bass that rumbles with tactile authority and occasionally pressurizes the room. A great example of this can be found at the 1:05:31 mark during a firefight in Israel. There is a sweeping four of five second low frequency burst that reaches down deep and literally shook my room. It sounded so good I played it back three or four times. The track as a whole sounds quite excellent in this regard. Dialogue is reproduced with lucid expression and exacting clarity that produced just the slightest hint of sibilance in the upper registers. This is a wonderfully involving and gratifying audio presentation that features high level sonic detail, spot on directional correlation and stirring bass extension. My advice is to crank this one up, sit back and enjoy.

2D Video Quality:

Video: 90

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

World War Z comes to Blu-ray Disc from Paramount HE featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 33 Mbps.

This film has an intentionally dark and singular chromatic visual style that doesn’t lend itself to vibrant colors and vivid high gloss video quality. There are instances where brighter elements are utilized and the boldly applied contrast allows them to pop visually. Otherwise onscreen images predominantly lean toward darker color schemes, and grittier textures that provide the look that the filmmakers use to drive the story’s components. This is done to good effect. Shadow delineation is good overall and revealing of visible details within dark backgrounds and low lighting. Stable contrast and deep blacks allow scenes containing mixed content to appear gradationally satisfying with crisp whites and dynamic highlights. Resolution is discerning as images are characterized by intricate and definitively rendered detail that gives the video appreciable dimension and delineated texture. This is the case in all but a few instances where definition softens and doesn’t retain the same level of lucidity.

Bonus Features:

• Disc 1:

• World War Z 3D Blu-ray (Theatrical Cut)

• Disc 2:

• World War Z 2D Blu-ray – Unrated version (plus the following bonus features):

• (HD) Origins – 8 minute featurette

• (HD) Looking to science – 7 minute featurette

• (HD) World War Z: Production ( 4 segments totaling 34 minutes)
    1. Outbreak
    2. The journey begins
    3. Behind the wall
    4. Camouflage
  • Bonus DVD

• Digital Copy

• Ultraviolet Digital Copy

Final Thoughts:

Based on the novel by Max Brooks World War Z is an entertaining genre bender that eschews a deep plot and well developed characters in favor of palpable suspense and involving action that made for a solid movie watching experience. It comes to Blu-ray Disc in both 3D Combo and 2D releases. I found the 3D version to be acceptable but lacking in the kind of dimensionality/effects that often compliment films like this. The 2D version offers excellent high definition video quality that appears to faithfully render the film’s stylized visuals. The DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack is an engaging one that sounds terrific and makes for a rewarding surround sound listening experience. The supplemental package is middle of the road providing a glimpse behind the scenes at the production. If you’re a genre fan this one is easy to recommend otherwise toss it in your rental queue and take it for a spin on Blu-ray.

Here is the trailer:

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Bunga99 and tubetwister like this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks for the review Ralph, I blind pre-ordered the 3D version and am looking forward to it. I'll set my expectations for the 3D effects/presentation a bit lower but it looks like I should still enjoy it.

(Contemporary living room, Klipsch RF-7 II 5.2 audio, Sony VPL-HW50ES Projector, Da-Lite 16:9 159" HP, recessed Mid Atlantic rack, etc)
post #3 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Hi Ralph, great review as always....we must be watching these movies on the same screen....LOL as I pretty much always agree with your A/V BD reviews and this one is no exception. Audio was great, I too would score it at 92-95/100 but the video (2D) it think you a right on the money at at 90/100.

Paul
post #4 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul View Post

Hi Ralph, great review as always....we must be watching these movies on the same screen....LOL as I pretty much always agree with your A/V BD reviews and this one is no exception. Audio was great, I too would score it at 92-95/100 but the video (2D) it think you a right on the money at at 90/100.

Paul

Greetings,

Great! Thanks for chiming in Paul.. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #5 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Great review
post #6 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Liked: 10
Thanks for the review... I would also add that WWZ wins the prize on being the movie with least resemblance with the book... the only similarities, in my opinion, are the name and the fact that it focuses on the hole world and not on a specific location or country.
post #7 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 409
Great review as always Ralph thank you. I was worried when I saw the combined score then I saw the low rating for the 3D, 2D scored well so I'm happy and combined with reference audio I'm really looking forward to this movie. I'm not a zombie fan really but this did not look like your normal zombie movie.
post #8 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 239
"There is a sweeping four of five second low frequency burst that reaches down deep and literally shook my room. It sounded so good I played it back three or four times. "

Nice, looking forward to this and the movie.smile.gif

post #9 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Excellent and informative review as always Ralph smile.gif
post #10 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema Gary View Post

Excellent and informative review as always Ralph smile.gif

Greetings,

Thanks Gary..! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #11 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 10:03 PM
CIH USER

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Definitely will be picking this up, thanks Ralph smile.gif

Frank

post #12 of 98 Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 446
Yep! blind buy for me
wink.gif
Thanks Ralph smile.gif
post #13 of 98 Old 09-13-2013, 12:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Thanks excellent review! WWZ is at a Red box near me so I reserved it on line and will pick it up tomorrow.
I have Oblivion checked out now. haven't watched it yet . ofc course Tom Cruise is in it movie so it can go either way
But Morgan Freeman is also in it so that part should be fine. Imdb ratings are decent @7.0 and 6.2/10 at Rotten Tomato
so it might be alright.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #14 of 98 Old 09-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Thanks Ralph--I've been waiting for the review of this one. Kind of on the fence even though I have the 2D version preordered from Amazon. I have read the book but apparently that does not mean too much for this one. I plan to keep the preorder based primarily on your audio review--should be a fun ride. smile.gif

Bob

post #15 of 98 Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Thanks again, Ralph!

Saw this 2D at the theater (wasn't showing 3D when we went), and we found it to be a great thrill ride--I guess, as they say, "ignorance IS bliss," as I hadn't read the book or anything that would have me biased. I found it very amusing that there was even a girl in her late teens sitting next to us arms wrapped around her knees feet up on her seat scared s**tless! eek.gif The movie's a LOT of fun IMO. I will add we went in with NO expectations of any kind other than Brad Pitt is a great actor; I bet that had a great deal to do with my sense of satisfaction--time and money well spent at the cinema for us! cool.gif

I was really looking forward to a higher 3D rating as even post-conversions of late are top notch--wait till you experience Pac Rim 3D! Still, being a 3D-nut, and your always-reliable review scoring it at 80 ("good"), I'll be getting that combo to see for myself! 2D-lovers should not hesitate; I felt it VERY involving without the added dimension (it was a good size screen with above-decent sound--not the best of either, mind you wink.gif ). I still think 3D can make it more enjoyable (in a scary way!).

My recommendation: do not compare it to other zombie/epidemic/apocalypse/what-not movies (or the novels they might be based on), and you just may find it refreshingly original. I liked it! cool.gif
Ralph Potts likes this.
post #16 of 98 Old 09-13-2013, 11:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Great review Ralph! Does the "Alternate Cut" on the 2D disc contain any of the alternate ending that was originally screened for test audiences? In that cut the last 1/3 of the movie takes place in a large battle in Russia, rather than the slower paced ending of the theatrical. I'm buying it regardless, but it would be great to release the alternate ending sequence!

Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #17 of 98 Old 09-13-2013, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post

Great review Ralph! Does the "Alternate Cut" on the 2D disc contain any of the alternate ending that was originally screened for test audiences? In that cut the last 1/3 of the movie takes place in a large battle in Russia, rather than the slower paced ending of the theatrical. I'm buying it regardless, but it would be great to release the alternate ending sequence!

Greetings,

Unfortunately it does not. Sorry....

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #18 of 98 Old 09-13-2013, 01:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Unfortunately it does not. Sorry....

Regards,

I guess that means we can expect a Director's Ultimate Cut at some point. Thanks for the review.
post #19 of 98 Old 09-14-2013, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I'm surprised they only put the Unrated Cut on the 2D version eek.gif
post #20 of 98 Old 09-14-2013, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm surprised they only put the Unrated Cut on the 2D version eek.gif

I didn't catch that. So the 2D version is not the theatrical version?
post #21 of 98 Old 09-14-2013, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

I didn't catch that. So the 2D version is not the theatrical version?

I'm pretty sure the 2D Blu-ray contains only the Unrated Extended cut while the 3D version contains only the Theatrical version
post #22 of 98 Old 09-14-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusTroy View Post

I'm pretty sure the 2D Blu-ray contains only the Unrated Extended cut while the 3D version contains only the Theatrical version

Gotcha, thanks.
post #23 of 98 Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 PM

I don't buy nearly the movies I used to purchase, but World War Z was one of the rare movies that I really liked when I saw it the theaters. I did not see it in 3D. What I was most impressed buy is that it was not a zombie movie like the countless other zombie movies that have been made in the past.

I will likely pick the movie up when it gets released.
post #24 of 98 Old 09-14-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Just saw this movie at home last night and even though I'm picky with movies, I actually really liked this one. It's nonstop action and pretty intense. The zombies are just insane, and keep you on the edge of your seat. Awesome movie!

80 in Sharp Aquos Quattron led 3d tv
Denon AVR-4520CI receiver DBT-3313UDCI blu ray player
Klipsch RF-82 II, RC-62 II, RS-62 II
Dual PSA Triaxes!
Xbox one, xbox 360 My Videos! >
Christmas Surprise!

Triax!

post #25 of 98 Old 09-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
The version i saw in theatres was 2d since i read about the 3d conversion...no need to rush out and buy it (same day as gta v). How is the unrated version? Most unrated versions of movies are horrible compared to the ones you see in theatres. An exception is the previous riddick movie.
post #26 of 98 Old 09-16-2013, 03:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

How is the unrated version? Most unrated versions of movies are horrible compared to the ones you see in theatres. An exception is the previous riddick movie.

I hear the Theatrical cut is the preferred Director's cut of the film and that the Unrated version just adds more blood and gore to take away the PG-13 rating...plus the Unrated version is only like 7 minutes longer
post #27 of 98 Old 09-16-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Looking forward to the release tomorrow. There's been a lot of hype and I didn't see it in the movies. Yet another reference DTS soundtrack, I'm getting spoiled biggrin.gif
post #28 of 98 Old 09-16-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kascnef82 View Post

The version i saw in theatres was 2d since i read about the 3d conversion...no need to rush out and buy it (same day as gta v). How is the unrated version? Most unrated versions of movies are horrible compared to the ones you see in theatres. An exception is the previous riddick movie.

Greetings,

I watched both and would say that I liked them equally. The unrated extended cut added nothing intrinsic to the storyline. You should be fine with either... cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #29 of 98 Old 09-16-2013, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfynumb View Post

Looking forward to the release tomorrow. There's been a lot of hype and I didn't see it in the movies. Yet another reference DTS soundtrack, I'm getting spoiled biggrin.gif

Greetings,

Be sure to listen for the LFE at the time marker I mentioned in my review. Lots of fun...! wink.gif

Regards,
comfynumb likes this.

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum

post #30 of 98 Old 09-16-2013, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Potts View Post

Greetings,

Be sure to listen for the LFE at the time marker I mentioned in my review. Lots of fun...! wink.gif

Regards,

I'm looking forward to it smile.gif

I just picked mine up and will be watching tonight.
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
World War Z Blu Ray 3d Blu Ray Dvd Digital Copy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page