Friday The 13th: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray) Official AVSForum Review - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter
Mod & Bluray Reviewer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 85
LL
The Review at a Glance: (max score: 5 )

Film: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Extras: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

Audio/Video total rating:

( Max score: 100 )

Studio and Year: Paramount, New Line -1980, 1981, 1982, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1993, 2001, 2003, 2009
MPAA Rating: R
Feature running time: 1208 minutes
Genre: Horror

Disc Format: BD-50, BD-25, DVD
Encoding: AVC,
Video Aspect: 1.85:1, 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English Dolby TrueHD 5.1 (Parts 1,2,3) English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio
Subtitles: English SDH, Spanish, French
Starring:Betsey Palmer, Ari Lehman, Warrington Gillette, Steve Daskewisz, Richard Brooker,Ted White, C. J. Graham, Kane Hodder ,Ken Kirzinger , Derek Mears, Robert England
Directed by: Various
Music by: Harry Manfredini
Written by: Various
Region Code: A

Blu-ray Disc release Date: September 13, 2013

"The Complete Collection"

Film Synopsis:

This intense 'slasher' series is one of the longest-running and most successful horror franchises in film history, surpassing the domestic theatrical box-office grosses of such legendary series as A Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre. The film that turned psycho killer Jason Voorhees and his infamous hockey mask into a pop culture icon has also bested the horror competition as the #1 home entertainment seller, with total sales of $119.7M to date.

One of the most frightening franchises in film history, Friday The 13th focuses primarily on the character of Jason Voorhees, who drowned as a young child at Camp Crystal Lake due to the inattentiveness of camp counselors. Many years later, the camp becomes the scene of a number of murders - all of which are either committed or motivated by the avenging Jason, who forever lurks at Crystal Lake with his finely-honed machete.

Friday The 13th: Camp counselors are stalked and murdered by an unknown assailant while trying to reopen a summer camp that was the site of a child's drowning.

Friday The 13th Part 2: Mrs. Voorhees is dead, and Camp Crystal Lake is shut down, but a camp next to the infamous place is stalked by an unknown assailant. Is it Mrs. Voorhees' son Jason who didn't drown in the lake some 30 years before?

Friday The 13th Part 3: Having escaped, Jason Voorhees is back, hockey mask and all, to continue his murderous rampage across Camp Crystal Lake.

Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter: After being mortally wounded and taken to the morgue, murderer Jason Voorhees spontaneously revives and embarks on a killing spree as he makes his way back to his home at Camp Crystal Lake.

Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning: Still haunted by his gruesome past, Tommy Jarvis - the boy who killed Jason Voorhees - wonders if somehow he is connected to brutal slayings occurring in and around the secluded halfway house where he now lives.

Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives: Tommy Jarvis goes to the graveyard to get rid of Jason Voorhees' body, but he accidentally brings him back to life. Jason wants revenge and Tommy must defeat him once and for all!

Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood: Years after Tommy Jarvis chained him underwater at Camp Crystal Lake, the hulking killer Jason Voorhees returns to the camp grounds when he is released accidentally by a teenager with psychic powers.

Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan: A passing boat bound for New York pulls Jason Voorhees along for the ride. Look out New York, here comes hell in a hockey mask.

Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday: Serial killer Jason Voorhees' supernatural origins are revealed.

Jason X: Jason Voorhees returns with a new look, a new machete, and his same murderous attitude as he is awakened on a spaceship in the 25th century.

Freddy Vs. Jason: Freddy Krueger and Jason Voorhees return to terrorize the teenage population. Except this time, they're out to get each other, too.

Friday The 13th (2009): A group of young adults discover a boarded up Camp Crystal Lake, where they soon encounter Jason Voorhees and his deadly intentions.

My Take:

"We're going to Camp Crystal Lake. Oh yeah? Planning on smoking a little dope, having a little premarital sex, and getting slaughtered?"

Looking back, The Friday the 13th series really splits off into another vibe after the 4th installment, aptly titled "The Final Chapter". Part 1,2,3 and 4 feel like a series. They flow, the story works, the chills are still there, and it all still feels grounded in the Lovely "Camp Crystal Lake". They don't rely on intentional camp, over the top characters and situations...this is when the man behind the mask was scary, and his menace had yet to wear thin. They are my favorite 4, with the original still holding a soft spot in my heart.

"I'm going to give it to you straight about Jason..."

Friday The 13th was dark, weird and (if this is a spoiler, you are over 30 years too late) didn't feature the iconic hockey mask sporting Jason Voohres as the killer. I remember seeing this on HBO when I was way too young (along with Scanners), approximate 1981/82. It was a taboo then, it freaked me out and still gets me today. Friday The 13th Part 2 is our real introduction to Jason. It fells like a proper sequel, thought the writing and directing duties shifted from Sean S. Cunningham to Steve Miner who kept up the spooky vibe while introducing us to a new killer and a new group of fools to enter the woods of Camp Crystal Lake. Here Jason is not the bionic cadaver he is remembered for, and he is more of a freaky scrawny guy with a bag tied around his head. It is not until Friday The 13th Part 3 that he gets jacked (maybe there was some steroids in the lakes water supply?), and gets the iconic Hockey Mask. Part 3 looks a bit different ascetically as it was filmed in 3D, but it works. Again, directed by Steve Miner, part 3 is my least favorite of the first 4 (but it has the best poster art!), though it has its moments and is still a good horror flick. Part 4 "The Final Chapter" seemed to take all the best elements of the previous 3 and spin them into a fan favorite that includes Cory Feldman, Crispin Glover and even a set of well endowed "Double Mint Gum" twins.

Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning, Friday The 13th Part VI: A Jason Lives, Friday The 13th Part VII;: The New Blood, and Friday The 13th Part VII: Jason Goes to Manhattan all stand as their own story-line (for better or for worse). Part V: A New Beginning doesn't feature Jason, however, it does continue the story-line of Tommy Jarvis. This on is a tough pill to swallow as it's the hill-billy white-trash installment that takes place at a mental home in the woods. Part VI: Jason Lives forgets about part V and re-introduces us to Jason when Tommy Jarvis (a 3rd actor) accidentally reanimates Jason's rotten, maggot filled corpse. Though A little silly at times, Jason Lives is still one of my favorite of the series and includes Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter getting punched through the heart as well as the iconic rip on the James Bond opening with Jason walking across and slashing instead of shooting. Part VII: The New Blood has familiar elements, but the story revolves around a psychic girl named Tina who has powers to fight Jason. It spends a bit too much time on a sub-par story line, rather than the gore. Part VIII - Jason Goes to Manhattan (the biggest disappointment in the series) has Jason going to Manhattan. Well he is in Manhattan for a few minutes as most the film he is killing a bunch of terrible characters on a cruise ship heading from Crystal Lake to NYC.

The rest of the series was made from New Line Cinema, not Paramount, and things just were not at all the same. Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday had Jason as a spirit that jumped body to body as the film obviously borrowed from "The Hidden", and even "Halloween". I wish it borrowed more from the original 4 Friday the 13th's! Then we have "Jason X", which was really cheesy and sent Jason to outer-space. It is a total guilty please and has the awesome "sleeping bad against the tree" kill. "Freddy Vs. Jason" should have been epic, but it was just OK. In 2009 we were treated to a remake that just missed the mark.

Even at its worst, I have sat through all of these films, and some multiple times. I still love Parts 1-4, and have some guilty pleasures in the rest, especially parts VI and VII. It is 2013, 33 years after our introduction to the series and Jason still lives. There is not much more you can say besides that. Like them or not, they are here to stay, and I am glad to have this set on my shelf, as I will still visit good ol' Camp Crystal Lake from time to time.

Parental Guide:

Strong bloody violence, some graphic sexual content, language and drug material. T&A and blood.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 78

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373699

Video: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

Friday The 13th: The Complete Collection comes to Blu-ray from Warner Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC Video, lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and Dolby TrueHD 5.1 sound.

"Would you be yourself, if you looked like this?"

Friday The 13th: Video rating = 79 Audio rating = 70
Friday The 13th Part 2: Video rating = 82 Audio rating = 70
Friday The 13th Part 3: Video rating = 79 Audio rating = 70
Friday The 13th Part 4:Video rating = 80 Audio rating = 74
Friday The 13 Part V: Video rating = 80 Audio rating = 74

Ralph Summed up the what I find to be the case for Friday The 13th Part 1, Part 2, Part 4 and 5 below.

"This video presentation represents the best that this film has ever looked on video and seems to offer a decent portrayal of the original source elements. --This high bitrate 1.85:1 framed video encoding from Paramount boasts rich, punchy colors, stable blacks and excellent clarity. I was impressed with level of detail visible in the physical features, clothing and objects during close up and mid level camera shots. The tonal variety and depth of the colors in the period clothing and during the exterior sequences shot in the wooded areas around the lake was discerning. Long range camera pans were a bit of a mixed bag but overall I found them to have fair dimensional perspective with definable detail. Grain was readily apparent and takes on heavier emphasis during several of the darkened sequences. I only found it distracting in one or two instances. Grain was much less noticeable during brighter scenes, which when coupled along its resolute level of sharpness, snappy colors and crisp definition makes for a great looking presentation of this 28 year old horror classic. The Dolby TrueHD soundtrack delivered crisp, full bodied dialogue in a mostly frontal presentation that offered a few splashes of light ambience through the surround channels. There was no low frequency detail mixed to the subwoofer but there really is no call for it. The blend of music, dialogue and sound effects through the front channel speakers was rendered with excellent clarity, limited but fair dimensional perspective and average depth. It never sounded thin or dynamically starved and based upon the elements in the recording sounded just fine."

I found Part 2 to be bit better than part 1 as it had a little more pop to the image and the audio was incrementally less shrill on the screeching violin stabbing notes of Manfreddini's score. Part 3 looked a bit different as it was filmed in 3D. It is the first in the series presented in 2.40:1. I went through both the 2D and 3D versions and they are both OK. The 3D is the old Anaglyph format (you know, the old red and blue tinted glasses). Its a bit of a thorn to fans that they didn't convert this to the new 3D formats for this release. I wish they had as well as this is fun but a vastly inferior look. The 2D looks a bit pasty, but that is a by product of how it was filmed, and the fine details do lack. The image needs a clean-up as specs and dirt are apparent often, and grain can run a bit rampant. Still, it looks better than it ever has. Part 4: The Final Chapter and V: A New Beginning are closer in looks the the first 2 films, though a slight bump up in quality with a less grainy and dirty source element. .The audio for all are similar to the thoughts above.

Friday The 13 Part VI: Video rating = 80 Audio rating = 80
Friday The 13 Part VII: Video rating = 80 Audio rating = 80
Friday The 13 Part VIII: Video rating = 82 Audio rating = 82

These three are where the picture quality jumps up a bit with less debris on the source. The image takes on a little more clarity and dimension rendering the finer details a bit better then the earlier entries. These are far from amazing, however, they looked great and fans will be pleased. The best of the lot it Jason Goes to Manhattan, which is the worst of the movies. Blacks are very strong here, as are shadow details. The Audio tracks also fared a bit better with more dynamic range, more surround effects and more low end--thankfully, and again, Jason Takes Manhattan is the best in this group.

Jason Goes To Hell: Video rating = 80 Audio rating = 84
Jason X: Video rating = 86 Audio rating = 88
Freddy Vs. Jason: Video rating = 90 Audio rating = 90

Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday is a step back from part VIII in video as the blacks tend to crush and the image is a bit less polished. Jason Xlooks great with depth and details that are a few steps above previous entries, black levels are stable as is the contrast and noise is non existent. Freddy vs. Jason is the best of the whole collection. Details are apparent on most shots, even in the darkest of scenes. Color is well saturated but still looks realistic and for a film that spends most of its time dark, it sure holds up well. All of these have good audio tracks that surpasses all the other entries and chronically get better. All have decent surround effects and much better LFE, and do finally rock the room a bit! The stand-out is Freddy Vs. Jason as the sound design is the most modern and its mix lent to a great lossless surround experience.

Friday The 13th (2009): Video rating = 84 Audio rating = 86

Ralph's Thoughts on Friday the 13th (2009) -
"This video presentation utilizes lots of uneven light and dark environs that may challenge displays that have trouble producing good shadow detail. My JVC 1080p front projector and newly added Oppo Blu-ray player I saw excellent delineation in backgrounds and revealing gradational stages in blacks. Sequences like those that were lit only by moonlight had a varied luminescent quality as its glow reflected off of objects. This gave them incredible depth of field and three dimensional highlights. Blacks weren't inky but were strong and had ample punch when onscreen with mixed content. Images were resolute and crisp which aided in the perception of definition and fine rendering in both brightly lit and dark segments. There were many times when the video had superb dimension, clarity and lucid perspective that was visually engaging. Unfortunately there were instances where the image lacked focus and a bit distorted. This could occur within the same shot but be camera angle dependent. One viewpoint being clear and next viewpoint appearing defocused. It happened in both light and dark scenes and didn't lasted longer than a singular viewpoint. Quite honestly I couldn't say whether it is innate to the photography but I would assume so. Either way I found it to be distracting. Contrast was stable and balanced which helped drives bright sequences and give colors plenty of zip. Color fidelity appeared intact as they looked vibrant and natural, with lustrous hues and lifelike tonality. Fleshtones were equally impressive and looked gorgeous. I didn't detect any obvious signs of video related artifacts or anomalies.
The Dolby TrueHD multi-channel audio had no trouble delivering the elements contained within this surprisingly front heavy soundtrack. Voices had excellent intonation and variable description that penetrated well into the room as it held sway over the front soundstage. The blend of dialogue, typically eerie music and sound effects were perfectly in synch across the front of the room which cut a wide swath that reached beyond the physical boundaries of the speakers. This is an excellent recoding that delivers high level clarity and potent dynamics. This enhanced the quality of sounds which made them easily definable and clearly articulated regardless of their spatial placement. For a film of this type I was surprised that this didn't contain more of an active surround mix. When engaged the rear channels were used to good effect at different points during the film. When applied envelopment was appreciable (especially in the opening sequence) as it created a dimensionally satisfying and creepy immersive atmosphere within the room. Bass response wasn't earth shaking however when applied it had ample solidity and palpable presence that added emphasis where appropriate."

Bonus Features:

• Friday The 13th
    - R Rated, Theatrical Release
    - Commentary by Director Sean S. Cunningham with Cast and Crew
    - Friday the 13th Reunion
    - Fresh Cuts: New Tales from Friday the 13th
    - The Man Behind the Legacy: Sean S. Cunningham
    - Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 1
    - The Friday the 13th Chronicles
    - Secrets Galore Behind the Gore
    - Theatrical Trailer

• Friday The 13th Part 2
    - Inside "Crystal Lake memories"
    - Friday's Legacy: Horror Conventions
    - Lost Tales from Camp Blood - Part 2
    - Jason Forever (used on 2004 release/Best Buy bonus disc)
    - Theatrical Trailer

• Friday The 13th Part 3
    - 3D and 2D versions of film
    - 2 Pairs of 3D glasses
    - Fresh Cuts: 3D Terror
    - Legacy of the Mask
    - Slasher Films: Going for the Jugular
    - Lost tales From Camp Blood, Part 3
    - Theatrical Trailer

• Friday The 13th: The Final Chapter
    - Commentary by the director, screenwriter and editor
    - "Fan" Commentary
    - Vintage Featurettes
    - Deleted Scenes
    - Original Theatrical Trailer

• Friday The 13th Part V: A New Beginning
    - Commentary by Director/Co-Screenwriter with Cast and Crew
    - Vintage Featurettes

• Friday The 13th Part VI: Jason Lives
    - Commentary by Director with Cast and Crew
    - Vintage Featurettes
    - Slashed Scenes
    - Original Theatrical Teaser Trailer

• Friday The 13th Part VII: The New Blood
    - "Killer" Commentary by Director and Actors
    - Vintage Featurettes
    - Slashed Scenes

• Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan
    - Commentary by Director
    - "Killer Commentary by Actors Scott Reeves, Jensen Dagget and Kane Hodder
    - Vintage Featurettes
    - Slashed Scenes

• Jason Goes To Hell: The Final Friday
    - Commentary by Adam Marcus and Dean Lorey
    - TV Version Alternate Scenes

• Jason X
    - Commentary by Jim Isaac, Todd Farmer and Noel Cunningham
    - Vintage Featurettes
    - Theatrical Trailer

• Freddy Vs. Jason
    - Commentary by Director Ronny Yu, Robert Englund (Freddy) and Ken Kirzinger (Jason)
    - Featurette Gallery Covering the Film's Development, Art Direction, Makeup Effects, Stuntwork and More
    - Visual Effects Exploration with the Creative Team
    - My Summer Vacation: A visit to Camp Hackenslash
    - Ill NiÃno How Can I Live Music Video
    - Deleted Scenes

• Friday The 13th (2009)
    - Theatrical and Extended Cuts
    - Rebirth of Jason Voorhees
    - Interactive PIP with Trivia Track
    - Hacking Back/Slashing Forward
    - The 7 Best Kills Extra
    - Additional Scenes
    - BD live: My Commentary

• UV Digital copies of all the movies

• Final Thoughts:

"I told the others, they didn't believe me. You're all doomed. You're all doomed."

Friday The 13th: The Complete Collection is a great addition to my collection. The downfall is that Friday the 13th is not the "Uncut" edition that was released in 2009. Fans are also a bit bummed that they didn't transfer Part 3's 3D from the old anaglyph format. Fans were also hoping for the uncut version of Jason goes to Hell as it is supposedly much more gory and watchable in that version. Besides personally wanting those few changes I am glad to finally have them all on Blu-ray. Most of the extras had been previously released, however, it is nice to have them all in a tidy package. The good is that the extras are all worth a watch and add quite a bit of viewing time to the set. I have always had a soft spot for the series, especially before it got silly around Part 5. Fans should be pleased even thought this is not 100% perfect. Hey at least we have it!

Lee Weber
    AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS56U 3D 1080p 3D High Definition Front Projector
    Screen Innovations Solar HD 1.3 120" 2.40:1 CinemaScope Screen
    Onkyo PR-SC5509 Pre/Pro
    Sunfire Theater Grand 7201 Amplifier
    Sony BDP-S790 Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
    Triad InRoom Gold LCR's
    Triad OnWall Silver Surrounds
    2 Triad Silver OmniSubs

Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 3D 1080p 3D Plasma
    Marantz NR1603 Receiver
    Sony PS3 (HDMI Audio/Video)
    MKSound MP-7 LCR's
    MKSound SUR-55T Surrounds
    MKSound SB-8 Subwoofer
wizzack likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 03:09 PM
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Greetings,

Thanks Lee..! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
post #3 of 8 Old 09-13-2013, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 85
My Final Thought: For die-hard Fans only! biggrin.gif
post #4 of 8 Old 09-14-2013, 12:18 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 32
This set has slide in sleeves to house the disc's right? Well this is of no use to me when they do this........lots of people don't mind destroying everything they have (or that I have if they can get anywhere near it). I want brand new unscratched disc's and I respect my collection and take pride in keeping it undamaged........what happened to respect for the customer......same with cd's now......in cardboard sleeves.....pull the disc out and it is marked up (and you have to provide your own jewel case)..........and Blu ray eco cases......where my artwork is destroyed and even pushed right in with holes it the art!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These sets should have proper protective cases. I know this has had an effect on how many disc's I buy, and I am not the only one..........I would buy this if the disc's were in proper holder's. Interestingly ........... they don't try to sell this crap in the UK .(example...Alien Blu ray set, Indiana Jones Set, etc).........sleeves or eco cases........the customers won't tolerate it !!
post #5 of 8 Old 09-14-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Do want!

I bet it took some time to watch all of those too! Good times!

October HorrorFest Participant
post #6 of 8 Old 09-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 40
I won't buy this set...too Much money. My favorite is the first one and the one with jason vs freddy is great.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Liked: 36
Good times indeed! I was lucky enough to watch all of these films at the local theater.
BornSlippyZ likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM

Liked: 36
Outstanding! review Lee. Keep up the excellent writing work!
Reply Official AVS Blu-ray Disc Reviews

Tags
Friday The 13th The Complete Collection Blu Ray
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page