Studio and Year: Sony Pictures - 1953
MPAA Rating: NR
Feature running time: 118 minutes
Genre: Drama

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC (MPEG-4)
Video Aspect: 1.33:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish Mono
Subtitles: English, English SDH, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Korean, Norwegian, Polish
Starring: Burt Lancaster, Montgomery Clift, Deborah Kerr, Donna Reed, Frank Sinatra, Ernest Borgnine, Jack Warden, Phil Ober
Directed by: Fred Zinnemann
Written by: Daniel Taradash based on the novel by James Jones
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: October 1, 2013

"A cinematic gem gets the Blu treatment"

Film Synopsis:

The original Pearl Harbor movie provides a torrid look at military life just prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor, with remarkable performances from Frank Sinatra, Montgomery Clift, Burt Lancaster, Donna Reed and Deborah Kerr.

My Take:

In this landmark film, passion and tragedy collide on a military base as a fateful day in December 1941 draws near. Private Prewitt (Montgomery Clift) is a soldier and former boxer being manipulated by his superior and peers. His friend Maggio (Frank Sinatra) tries to help him but has his own troubles. Sergeant Warden (Burt Lancaster) and Karen Holmes (Deborah Kerr) tread on dangerous ground as lovers in an illicit affair. Each of their lives will be changed when their stories culminate in the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. Winner of eight Oscars®, including Best Picture, Best Director and Best Supporting awards for Sinatra in a career-defining role and for Donna Reed as a not-so-wholesome club hostess.

From here to eternity helped launch a new era in filmmaking and featured one of the most famous love scenes of all time, a stellar cast and the first big screen depiction of the attach on Pearl Harbor. Wow. This is my first time seeing it in its entirety. I have seen it referenced in other films, TV shows etc. but had never gotten around to sitting down and watching it. I absolutely loved it. This is a superbly constructed film with its three distinct storylines and wonderfully drawn characters. I can’t praise the performances of the ensemble cast enough. Their marvelous chemistry sell the unfolding and inevitable events making the evocative nature of the drama all the more involving. The finale and memorable closing moment is the icing on the cake.

Nominated for 13 Academy Awards®, FROM HERE TO ETERNITY swept the Oscar® ceremonies, taking home eight statuettes, including Best Picture, Best Director (Fred Zinnemann), Adapted Screenplay, Supporting Actor (Frank Sinatra), Supporting Actress (Donna Reed), Black-and-White Cinematography, Film Editing, Sound Recording and Best Screenplay. In addition, the film received two Best Actor nominations (Montgomery Clift & Burt Lancaster) and nominations for Best Actress (Debra Kerr), Black-and-White Costume Design and Scoring. At the time, the film became one of the 10 highest-grossing films of the decade. In 2005, the film came in at No. 52 on the American Film Institute's list of “Top 100 films of All Time.”

Coming to Blu-ray for the first time Special features include the all-new Eternal History: Graphics-in-Picture Track which is the complete story of how 1953’s Best Picture winner came to be told through new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material. New interviews include Tina Sinatra (Daughter of Frank Sinatra), Tim Zinnemann (Son of Fred Zinnemann), Jack Larson (Actor / Friend of Montgomery Clift), Robert Osborne (Author, 80 Years of the Oscar), Kate Buford (Author, Burt Lancaster – An American Life), Film Critic Kim Morgan, Author / Film Historian Alan K. Rode and Journalist/Film Historian Virginia Campbell. The disc also features an audio commentary by the Director’s Son Tim Zinnemann and Actor Alvin Sargent, who was also a collaborator with Fred Zinnemann; as well as two vintage featurettes: “The Making of From Here to Eternity,” a behind-the-scenes look at the making of the film and a look at the film’s Director in “Fred Zinnemann: As I See It.”

I found From here to eternity to be poignant, sad and immensely compelling. Not to be missed this is a classic piece of American filmmaking that deserves a place on the shelf of every enthusiast. It has been meticulously restored and the results are excellent. Those that have been waiting for this cinematic gem to come to Blu-ray have been rewarded with this top notch offering from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment.

Parental Guide:

The film contains thematic elements and war violence.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100 / EXCELLENT = 83-91 / GOOD = 74-82 / AVERAGE = 65-73 / BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Low frequency extension: attachment.php?attachmentid=109944&d=1210373692

• Surround Sound presentation: attachment.php?attachmentid=109945&d=1210373692

• Clarity/Detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373699

• Dialogue Reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373699

Video: 90

(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity: attachment.php?attachmentid=109948&d=1210373692

• Black level/Shadow detail: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Color reproduction: attachment.php?attachmentid=109946&d=1210373692

• Fleshtones: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

• Compression: attachment.php?attachmentid=109947&d=1210373692

From here to eternity comes to Blu-ray from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 25 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 2 Mbps.

From here to eternity has undergone a 4K scan restoration/re-mastering and the results deliver marvelous video quality. Images onscreen have excellent depth with rendering that draws out plenty of delineation. Close ups and mid level pans reveal perceptible detail in the faces, hair and clothing worn by the cast as well as the texture on surfaces within the frame. This adds a noticeable sense of depth to the image making it appear more lifelike. Blacks have plenty of dynamic range and consistency which plays very well against the various stages of white and gray. The film uses several key low level sequences that feature uneven light, shading and mixed content. While there is some natural loss of visibility in dark backgrounds the level of shadow detail is quite good. The cinematography uses a variety of lighting schemes, transitions and purposeful shadows that translate extremely well in this high definition presentation. Contrast is stable and supports the film’s elements naturally. Grain is presented in even layers that provide a satisfyingly filmic texture. 60 years later this wonderful film looks terrific thanks to a well executed restoration that appears to have faithfully preserved the film’s original elements. Kudos to Sony Pictures.

I opted for the 5.1 channel DTS-HD MA lossless soundtrack which makes the most of the source elements present in the recording. Dialogue is prioritized and mixed to a prominent position within the front soundstage. During the film’s first two acts the mix retains a front oriented perspective with most of the audio limited to the center of the soundstage which seemed appropriate given how it would have been presented in the theater. Things open up during the Pearl Harbor attack with the surround channels being for ambient spatial cues and front to rear pans that generate a noticeable sense of envelopment. There is no subterranean bass contained in this mix however, low frequency detail is present and detectable where appropriate. All in all this is solid and complimentary audio presentation.

Bonus Features:

• Eternal History: Graphics-in-picture track - From the Rudyard Kipling poem that inspired its name, to James Jones' controversial source novel, to the film's legendary casting and censorship struggles, the complete story of how 1953's Best Picture winner came to be told through new interviews, exclusive photos and other rare material.

• Audio commentary with Tim Zinnemann & Alvin Sargent

• Making of From here to eternity – 2 minute featurette

• Fred Zinnemann “As I see it” – Home movies from the set including an interview with the director – 9 minutes

• Five collectible lobby cards featuring artwork/memorable moments from the film

Final Thoughts:

From here to eternity was nominated for thirteen Academy Awards and won eight. It is widely accepted as a cinematic classic and 60 years later still shines brilliantly. It makes it debut on Blu-ray Disc in this excellent offering that features painstakingly restored and revitalized high definition video, faithfully reproduced lossless sound quality and a complimentary assortment of bonus material. A must have for every film fan this terrific Blu-ray release from Sony Pictures Home Entertainment comes highly recommended.

attachment.php?attachmentid=109949&d=1210373731

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS55 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8801 11.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103 Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" Series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SV Sound PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
APC AV S15BLK Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
My DVD/HD DVD/Blu-ray Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Do want!

great review

VPI Classic 2/Soundsmith Aida-Rega P5/Groovetracer/Denon DL-103R
Parks Audio Budgie Pre Amp-Budgie SUT
Pioneer SC35-Bel Canto REF 500M
Klipsch Cornwall/Crites/Aletheia Audio-Klisch RC64II-Klipsch SW-115
Samsung PN64D8000-OPPO BDP-93
Klipsch Image Ones-Klipsch x11i
Old 09-23-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 199
I never seen this film, but like you Ralph I've been exposed to all the references in other films tv shows, and even a Howard Stern sketch eek.gif But from this review I want to give this a spin, of course once I buy it.

Great review

Thanks

Djoel
Old 09-23-2013, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 268
I have a copy of this film and agree completely with Ralph. The film looks great with excellent detail and with audio that was much better than I expected. They did a fine 5.1 mix considering the age of the film. Bass was very good during the battle sequences. This is one film that has held up beautifully over the years, even if the famous love scene looks tame by contemporary standards. This release is a keeper.
Ralph Potts likes this.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Sounds really good, Ralph! Many thanks! cool.gif
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhip View Post

I have a copy of this film and agree completely with Ralph. The film looks great with excellent detail and with audio that was much better than I expected. They did a fine 5.1 mix considering the age of the film. Bass was very good during the battle sequences. This is one film that has held up beautifully over the years, even if the famous love scene looks tame by contemporary standards. This release is a keeper.

Greetings,

Thanks for chiming in with your thoughts Joe. smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 09-24-2013, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1010 Post(s)
Liked: 517
Remastered In 4k Blu-ray version with proper high bitrate encode that they should and could have done to begin with in

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 09-25-2013, 07:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Ralph,

I watched it last night for the first time as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. The censors wouldn't let them get away with much on those days but the director did some great things in the film to fill in the blanks. For example, when Warden and Holmes get together for the first time you know some dancing between the sheets is going to happen, but all they could show was them kissing. The very next shot is of a burning cigarette in the air, but it's being smoked by Prewitt in a completely different scene, but the camera takes a few seconds to pan away before showing who's actually smoking it. The imagery was perfect for setting the scene of what just happened even though there was an edit placed in there. This is exactly why it's fun to watch older films to see how creative the director's were to get around the censors that has been lost in today's films where just about anything goes.
Ralph Potts likes this.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Going in the queue tonight! smile.gif
Old 09-26-2013, 03:11 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

Ralph,

I watched it last night for the first time as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. The censors wouldn't let them get away with much on those days but the director did some great things in the film to fill in the blanks. For example, when Warden and Holmes get together for the first time you know some dancing between the sheets is going to happen, but all they could show was them kissing. The very next shot is of a burning cigarette in the air, but it's being smoked by Prewitt in a completely different scene, but the camera takes a few seconds to pan away before showing who's actually smoking it. The imagery was perfect for setting the scene of what just happened even though there was an edit placed in there. This is exactly why it's fun to watch older films to see how creative the director's were to get around the censors that has been lost in today's films where just about anything goes.

Greetings,

Oh so true Dave and yes I appreciated that as well! smile.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-03-2013, 12:22 AM
AVS Special Member

All I can say is loved it , dead on review !

Thanks Ralph wink.gif
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Old 10-03-2013, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter
Blu-ray Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Thanks Ralph wink.gif

Greetings,

Glad to hear it audiofan1! cool.gif

Regards,

Ralph C. Potts
Blu-ray Reviews
AVS Forum
My Home Theater
Old 10-03-2013, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

Thanks Ralph wink.gif

I loved the innocence of the film.

David Vaughn

Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer

Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

Old 10-03-2013, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post

I loved the innocence of the film.

I couldn't agree more and could see why it was considered groundbreaking on so many fronts, pure cinema excellence wink.gif

Tags
From Here To Eternity 1953 Blu Ray Full Frame